Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

Sega held a TGS stream earlier today where they showed new footage for a few of their games, with the new Sakura Wars game being one of the headliners for the show. They showed off a bunch of new footage for the title and revealed some new characters, including a "mysterious" masked women being voiced by Chisa Yokoyama (Sakura Shinguji's actress). Sega has already been doling out new info for the Sakura Wars reboot through their monthly streams, where it was revealed that the game will be an action title, unlike the previous games which were strategy games, and that each of the different Combat Revues will feature character designs by different artists, with Shanghai's team being designed by Yukiko Horiguchi, London by Bunbun and the newly announced Berlin team being designed by Fumikane Shimada.

I have actually been a little apprehensive about this new game since so much is changing from the past entries but this recent footage has really gotten me excited as a longtime fan of the series and is looking very promising. Anyway, the game is releasing this year in Japan in December with a planned 2020 release for the rest of the world. Can't wait to see how this game turns out.

Story Trailer

Gameplay Overview

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I dunno wtf this shit is, but I really love the mech designs in it. Some fun looking steampunk environments too.

Oh I'm sorry, the mecha designs. ~(˘▾˘~)

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Ok this is the most positive look for the game so far. Still not really sold on the switch to action game, would personally much prefer an expansion of the turn-based gameplay from previous games, but at least what they're showing off here looks pretty good. Really nice to see that the animation in the exploration segments appears to look very good. Also good to see more variation in the character designs than what was first shown; some of them are still too Kubo-esque for my liking but nothing deal-breaking.

My excitement for this game continues to grow.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

Yakuza going turn-based and Sakura Wars going real-time action, what a world.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just updating this thread with some more information. The other day a Shin Sakura Taisen anime adaptation was announced which is being produced by the studio that is also animating the game's opening movie, Sanzigen (who also did the animated cut-scenes for Fire Emblem: Three Houses). The show is planned to air in 2020 and will be a side-story to the main game.

Loading Video...

There was also a presentation where Tetsu Katano and Takaharu Terada demoed the game, showing often the adventure and battles segments.

Loading Video...

And finally the animated opening video for Shin Sakura Taisen was posted online.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for electricbarrier
electricbarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Very excited. I haven't gotten to play a Sakura Wars game since 5, retitled to just "So Long, My Love", was released state side. I'm so happy to have another one get localized that I don't even care what they're doing to the combat!

Okay I lied I care a lot, but still.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

@electricbarrier: I was really concerned about the combat as well but it actually looks pretty solid in the trailers. Plus the combat is only one part of the Sakura Wars formula and the adventure segments look to be really on point and a great evolution of the LIPS systems from older games.

I sort of feel like he are entering a Sakura Wars renaissance with this new games, a new anime and an English fan translation of the original Saturn game weeks away from being released. Been a fan of the series since So Long, My Love as well and it is really cool to finally see the series become active again.

Avatar image for electricbarrier
electricbarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bowl-of-lentils: Yeah it looks pretty cool and also yeah, the rest of the game seems to be very sakura wars. I hadn't heard about the fan translation, I'll have to grab that when it's out.

Er I mean I would never support such piracy grey areas!

Avatar image for tevor_the_third
Tevor_the_Third

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything looks super spot on but I gave to say the one big "but" is definitely the combat.

I'd be ok with going action based, it honestly looks pretty rad visually. Zipping around in a Kamui would be a blast. But what they've shown outside of trailers, actually in play, looks... not good.

It has all the worst hallmarks of a Musou game. Large swarms of enemies that die near instantly and, most damningly, *don't move or attack the player*.

Hopefully it works out. But I gotta say I'm nervous.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

@tevor_the_third: I have those concerns as well but even if the combat turns out to be simple and easy I don't think that would ruin the game. The Sakura Wars games are traditionally 25% combat and 75% adventure game. There is usually only one battle per chapter and the gameplay never gets very challenging even during the final battle. The combat is more there to punctuate moments in the story with some action and to add variety so if the gameplay ends up being flashy but simple I don't think it would detract from the core appeal of Sakura Wars.

Avatar image for tevor_the_third
Tevor_the_Third

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bowl-of-lentils: Here's hoping. It certainly *looks* like a real ST game otherwise.

Mostly I'm worried after being reminded of that Valkyrie Chronicles game that came out between 3 and 4 that was... not good. Similar situation an d even staff I think? My fingers are crossed though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.