Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Project Spark

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Oct 07, 2014

A free-to-play content creation sandbox game where players can generate their own miniature games, for the Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC.

Project Spark: Record your own voice, body motion capture.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Kinect continues to prove the most exciting thing for me about this coming generation.

Using Kinect, Project Spark will let players capture facial animations and body motion to create custom character animations. The sensor can also be used to and record voices and sounds. With the two combined, players will be able to not only have custom character animations but also dialog and possibly entire cut-scenes.

Here are the features listed by Team Dakota that Project Spark is capable of performing when combined with Kinect.

• Facial Expression Capture – Users can record their face and have it applied to an in-game character
    • Animation Recording – Do a new attack, full body motions, gestures, etc.
    • Record audio and modulate – Speak a line, singing, etc. Modulate the sounds in a variety of ways

Meanwhile, those anxious to get their hands on the game creation abilities will have to wait until late October at the earliest. The first beta invites will be sent out then for Windows 8 devices followed by January 2014 for the Xbox One.

http://www.examiner.com/article/project-spark-will-do-face-and-body-capture-beta-release-announced

Can't believe this is actually possible and - more importantly - practical now thanks to Kinect as user created content. I can only imagine what people are going to come up with. So you can do anything and everything. Level and character design, A.I. scripting, motion capture, dialogue....incredible. This game will keep me entertained for years. And its free to play! A-may-zing.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

So essentially

Loading Video...

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlexGlass

So essentially

LOL. That's awesome.

Kind of, but more advanced, and more importantly..... mix it with Project Spark. But yes, I expect Youtube videos will be special.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a lot of talented people that used creation tools in games like little big planet and even Trials Evolution that will make some incredible things. Not completely sold just yet, but very interested in seeing what is possible.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexGlass

@syed117 said:

There are a lot of talented people that used creation tools in games like little big planet and even Trials Evolution that will make some incredible things. Not completely sold just yet, but very interested in seeing what is possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could probably create Little Big Planet and Trials Evolution within Project Spark. If you haven't had the chance check out the level creator editor.

Loading Video...

A couple more things I took from that:

-Up to 5km x 5km level area.

-Level linking supported, for episodic levels, just like a typical game.

-editable objective based gameplay supported.

The only thing I could possibly ask more of from this game and I know it's probably too much is to let me use my own Blender models and textures so I can create my own unique look. Even if models are too much to ask for, textures would be amazing. Just give me the requirements and let me upload them somehow. I love using Blender's procedural textures or creating my own in Gimp and there's no issue even if they don't support them and I have to convert them. Animated texture support would be awesome too. If they do that, and especially if they make it easy to integrate it, MS has a chance of pulling in the Blender, Gimp, Photoshop community, which would be amazing. So many freaking talented guys -and girls- there. If not, a really good texture editor is really needed to make games that truly look different possible.

The best thing about it is now we can make as many platformers, and action adventure mini-games as we desire which there's never enough of. Makes one wonder what the over and under would be on how long until Mario 64 next-gen is remade in Project Spark...this is going to get interesting quick.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Hm...

Yep, pretty cool.

HiroKedyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HiroKedyn

Hmmm.... Mario 64 levels in Project Spark. I give it 2 days for bad copies of it, 2 months for good ones to come out.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlexGlass

So I just found Project Spark will in fact eventually allow us to make our own action JRPG where you can control other party members with voice recognition for co-op spell casting.

Apparently, Kinect as a controller input is also going to get supported later down the line:

Given the Kinect integration and the game's apparent flexibility, I asked executive producer Sax Persson if Team Dakota was considering implementing Kinect for gameplay control too. Sure enough, the studio is, and has explored the idea recently.

"We expect over time that we're going to add that," said Persson, although he stipulated that mo-capping character animation was first priority.

"When I saw the new Kinect and the specs for it, and got to try it the first time, for me it was obvious that I wanted to put myself in the game. You know, I wanted to be able to make movies with it. We tried to find what's the lowest barrier for entry for people to express themselves, right. Getting up and acting out a scene and making machinima has been a great avenue for people to express themselves for a long time."

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/08/24/project-spark-expected-to-add-kinect-gameplay-too-says-producer/

I'm pretty confident I can think of better ways to use Kinect than most attempts by developers so far. I know most other gamers will too. This is going to be awesome, - an integral and brilliant idea, even a must - for Kinect's future. Let gamers figure out the best and most intuitive applications. This would literally save years of trial and error that developers would have had to deal with otherwise.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I would maybe pick this up near launch. Sure!

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexGlass

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I would maybe pick this up near launch. Sure!

Well it's free.

Now that I think about it, Xbox One doesn't just come with a free game, but an awesome massive free game and game engine. Just not at launch. I think that's probably when I'll be jumping in myself.

Project Spark - Infinite World Announce Stream

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.