Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Proteus

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jan 30, 2013

In Proteus, the player awakens in the sea off the shore of a peaceful island, and simply explores the island in different seasons, enjoying the procedurally-generated sights, the way their surroundings shape the low-key soundtrack, and the simple graphical style.

I might be a jerk for saying this (minor spoilers)

paparoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paparoach

But this was one of the biggest waste of $10 I have ever experienced. And I recently purchased not, 1, not 2 but 3 Kataja Finish sour beers so I can try them in different chalices for 7$ each.

I don't even think it's bad, I fully enjoyed the music and the environment. The "mortality" idea was nice and I was genuinely impressed and surprised with the ending. But it took me 30 mins! And I will never ever touch it again.

During Fall and Winter, there was literally NOTHING to interact with. No new wildlife, no nothing. Maybe I missed something, because this game would greatly benefit from some secrets.

Anyway, thankfully I shit $10 bills often enough that I can afford little flukes like this.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aegon

I don't think shitting $10 bills is good for the economy. 

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

@Aegon said:

I don't think shitting $10 bills is good for the economy.

God damn inflation. NOW WE KNOW WHY THE DOLLAR ISN'T WORTH ANYTHING.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By project343

There are a ton of short (less than an hour) games in that price range. And most reviews/commentary on Proteus mention the game's length. You make it sound like the game was trying to deceive you or something.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThePaleKing

I felt the same way after finishing 30 Flights of Loving. There are free games with more substantial content than these.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JasonR86

Why do people feel it is necessary to bitch about game purchases that they were unsatisfied with? Haven't we all done this before? Not every purchase is great. I've bought a lot of things like albums, books, games, movies, etc. that I have been disappointed in and have no one else to blame for it but myself since I was the one who made the purchase. What good is it to bitch about something one does willingly? It's like bitching about a black eye due to punching oneself in the eye. Just accept it and get over it. Not just this OP but everyone who does this.

Fuck.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LikeaSsur

@JasonR86 said:

Why do people feel it is necessary to bitch about game purchases that they were unsatisfied with? Haven't we all done this before? Not every purchase is great.

So you'd rather we bite our tongue when something disappoints us? Suddenly, nothing ever improves and criticism is a thing of the past.

If anything, the opposite is true. It's one thing to complain about something free (though it can be done), but when money is involved and OP feels like he wasted his, why should he keep his mouth shut? The very foundation of feedback requires voicing your dissatisfaction when it's applicable.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheHumanDove

Thanks OBAMA

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By laserbolts

Ok guys JasonR86 said we should stop complaining about purchases we make. Shut this thread down. Get over yourself dude. He has every right to complain if he wants to. I only saw the quick look of proteus and it didn't impress me at all. Game looked like something I could slap together in paint in like 10 minutes. There didn't seem to be any real point to it. If I bought it for 10 bucks I'd be bummed out too.

paparoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By paparoach

@JasonR86: I wouldn't be bitching if the game was bitchin'!

but it's not

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JasonR86

@LikeaSsur said:

@JasonR86 said:

Why do people feel it is necessary to bitch about game purchases that they were unsatisfied with? Haven't we all done this before? Not every purchase is great.

So you'd rather we bite our tongue when something disappoints us? Suddenly, nothing ever improves and criticism is a thing of the past.

If anything, the opposite is true. It's one thing to complain about something free (though it can be done), but when money is involved and OP feels like he wasted his, why should he keep his mouth shut? The very foundation of feedback requires voicing your dissatisfaction when it's applicable.

Feedback on Giantbomb.com? For the creators of this game? Why not do it on the games' site or to the creators directly on twitter or elsewhere? This is just impotent bitching.

@paparoach said:

@JasonR86: I wouldn't be bitching if the game was bitchin'!

but it's not

Well done. You're alright dude.

@laserbolts said:

Ok guys JasonR86 said we should stop complaining about purchases we make. Shut this thread down. Get over yourself dude. He has every right to complain if he wants to. I only saw the quick look of proteus and it didn't impress me at all. Game looked like something I could slap together in paint in like 10 minutes. There didn't seem to be any real point to it. If I bought it for 10 bucks I'd be bummed out too.

There's too much of me to get over myself. My ego is way too big for that. Also @ me if you want to call me out.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By laserbolts

I'm on my phone and I can't reply hopefully that is fixed in the redesign. Sorry if I came off as aggressive it just seems ridiculous to complain about a fellow user complaining about a gaming purchase he made on these forums.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JasonR86

Ridiculousness is kinda my MO.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By laserbolts

Being an aggressive dick without realizing it is mine.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NekuSakuraba

With all due respect, perhaps you should of looked into the game a bit more before purchasing it? It has been mentioned several times that it is only 45 minutes long, certain people are fine with that and others are not. This seems like the type of game that certain people shouldn't buy, more so than other games. You can either apprecitate an artistic game like this, or not.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By triple07

That's why I didn't buy it. I don't mind artistic games or anything but it just seemed like there wasn't much to this game which some people might be fine with but I would like more content in my games since I'm gaming on a budget.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShaggE

@JasonR86: He's being perfectly civil about it, though. It'd be one thing if he were saying "ONLY 30 MINUTE FUCK THIS GAME I WANT A REFUND", but I don't see what's wrong with what he said. That's the point of this forum: to discuss games/experiences with games, and to put Ryan's head on a Dachshund in Photoshop.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MariachiMacabre

$10 is pretty steep for half an hour, for sure. Seems like a really interesting experience but I can understand feeling iffy about it at that price.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By umdesch4

Yeah, I agree that this thing isn't for everyone, or at least that everyone might not feel they're getting their money's worth out of it. As a contrasting experience, I've played through this thing about 5 or 6 times, and spent a total time of maybe 3.5 hours with it. That's in the ballpark of a movie, and I'd end up spending more than $10 if I were to go see something in a theater. I consider that reasonable.

Having said that, yes I wish there were a lot more to this "game". I understand, from this poston the official Proteus forums, that there are potentially a few more additions coming, and calling them "updates" seems to imply that they won't be paid DLC. If/when that happens, I might play through a couple more times to see what's new, and check out this modding system.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LikeaSsur

@JasonR86: I can see you in the future, when anyone even alludes to disappointment or regret over a purchase, getting right up IN THEIR FACE and saying "Why do you feel the need to complain about it?! Get the hell over it!" Completely forgetting that people get over things by talking about them.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JasonR86

@LikeaSsur said:

@JasonR86: I can see you in the future, when anyone even alludes to disappointment or regret over a purchase, getting right up IN THEIR FACE and saying "Why do you feel the need to complain about it?! Get the hell over it!" Completely forgetting that people get over things by talking about them.

In the future?

@ShaggE said:

@JasonR86: He's being perfectly civil about it, though. It'd be one thing if he were saying "ONLY 30 MINUTE FUCK THIS GAME I WANT A REFUND", but I don't see what's wrong with what he said. That's the point of this forum: to discuss games/experiences with games, and to put Ryan's head on a Dachshund in Photoshop.

I know. For some reason it rubbed me the wrong way yesterday. Plus it's $10. I payed $8 for watching the Hobbit and enjoyed about 15 minutes of it. I just bought a coffee for $5 that will be gone in less than an hour and will only satiate me for a small time after that. $10 isn't very much money. I know everyone is strapped for cash but come on y'all. But whatever, I was being a dick and I've stopped so that's that.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mandude

I'm glad you posted this. Everyone's been earfucking me with this game, and it just doesn't compel me the same way.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jams

@mandude said:

I'm glad you posted this. Everyone's been earfucking me with this game, and it just doesn't compel me the same way.

Yeah, I agree. I feel like the way everyone talks about the "game" makes it sound like it's worth money. But from what I can tell, it has less than a pre-alpha version of a game. I'd be more interested if it had any kind of game mechanics in it. But it's like they got some stuff up and running then decided, hey we can sell this for the same amount a real game cost even though you can't really do anything in this game!

SpiderRumor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SpiderRumor

I liked the game. I feel that video games are becoming less "game-y" and are figuring out how to create experiences that aren't just some mechanic repeated until it get bored with itself. Maybe if there was a way to telegraph "If you come in with these expectation you will be disappointed" however, I feel that it is the fault of the buyer in most of the cases. Proteus has been reported on fairly conclusively that this is not a traditional game and if you did as much research as watched the trailer you would have seen what you are paying for. Examine for yourself if the game is an experience you would like to have and then make your buying decision, don't just buy a game because hype.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Ravenlight

@ThePaleKing said:

I felt the same way after finishing 30 Flights of Loving. There are free games with more substantial content than these.

I'd argue that Thirty Flights has more content than some 60+ hour games. I guess it's a matter of perspective, though. Bummer that you weren't into it.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

@paparoach: Just so you're aware, another thread seems to be detailing a whole bunch of secrets in the game that I missed on my playthrough as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.