Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Proteus

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jan 30, 2013

In Proteus, the player awakens in the sea off the shore of a peaceful island, and simply explores the island in different seasons, enjoying the procedurally-generated sights, the way their surroundings shape the low-key soundtrack, and the simple graphical style.

Interpretations of what Proteus "means"

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By umdesch4

I like experiences like Proteus that are open ended enough to be subject to interpretation. I have one such idea of what it's "about", and felt like sharing it.

The whole thing is a metaphor for life. You pass through seasons in it, like the so-called seasons of life. You're born at the beginning of spring, and die in winter. You get to do a lot of exploring and setting your own goals within those seasons, and every playthough, like every life, is different...but some of the key events and features of the landscape always occur.

Also, like life, if your goal is to always advance, you can finish it really quickly (I did one playthrough in under 15 minutes), but if you don't take the time to explore around, and go off the beaten path (literally in the game, and figuratively as in life), you'll miss some pretty cool stuff.

I'd love to read what other interpretations people are reading into this thing...

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By EVO

Can you actually finish it? I played it months ago and ended up just getting lost. Ended up hiking up the mountain and watched the sunrise. I assumed you just end it when you want and I figured then was a good time to exit.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By umdesch4

@EVO: Yes, there is an "ending" of sorts, or at least a point you can get to where the game forces an exit. As I mentioned above, it happens during the "winter" season.

At least in my 3 playthroughs so far, every time I hit "winter", after I've been wandering around for a while, I leave the ground and drift slightly higher with each step. Once I hit a certain altitude, well above the landscape I get the eye closing animation automatically, and it takes me back to the menu screen. There doesn't seem to be anything you can do to stop this from happening. Like my metaphor above, death is inevitable.
    Anonymgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Anonymgeist

To me, it felt like walking through a dream

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@umdesch4 said:

I like experiences like Proteus that are open ended enough to be subject to interpretation. I have one such idea of what it's "about", and felt like sharing it.

The whole thing is a metaphor for life. You pass through seasons in it, like the so-called seasons of life. You're born at the beginning of spring, and die in winter. You get to do a lot of exploring and setting your own goals within those seasons, and every playthough, like every life, is different...but some of the key events and features of the landscape always occur.

Also, like life, if your goal is to always advance, you can finish it really quickly (I did one playthrough in under 15 minutes), but if you don't take the time to explore around, and go off the beaten path (literally in the game, and figuratively as in life), you'll miss some pretty cool stuff.

I'd love to read what other interpretations people are reading into this thing...

The life metaphor was the first thing tta came to my mind too... but it feels a bit obvious and used. Still, if true, beautiful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.