Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prototype 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 24, 2012

The sequel to Radical Entertainment's 2009 ultra-violent sandbox game, Prototype 2 returns to an urban landscape ravaged by an all-consuming virus.

For People That Got Prototype 2 Is It Worth Buying?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

I'm thinking about buying prototype 2. But I'm kinda on the fence sense I've seen the ign review. For people that bought the game is it worth the money?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TentPole

I rented it and am a couple of hours into it. It seems very similar to the first game. A bit more polished but this is very much a sequel. You should definitely check it out unless you actively disliked the first game.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Doctorchimp

I'm going to assume that the people who bought prototype 2 bought and played the shit out of the first prototype.

So asking if they liked it is kind of redundant don't you think? I got burned with the first Prototype, so no thank you.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ViciousReiven

@Doctorchimp said:

I'm going to assume that the people who bought prototype 2 bought and played the shit out of the first prototype.

So asking if they liked it is kind of redundant don't you think? I got burned with the first Prototype, so no thank you.

Pretty much this, I really enjoyed Prototype and am loving this one, it really doesn't change enough to bring in people who didn't like the first.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By falserelic

@ViciousReiven: Hows the side missions in this game? Is it as repetitive as the first prototype?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By shivermetimbers

You can probably find a walkthrough on the internet somewhere. You can also wait for the GB quick look and review. I thought the first Prototype was pretty good, so I'll pick this one up eventually, probably.

TLKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TLKnight

@falserelic: The side missions aren't near as dumb as they were in the first game. Instead of doing odd athletic events to power up, you go on story based missions that actually feel like you are adding to the story. The Radnet stuff however, feel exactly like the first game's side stuff.

I didn't care much for the first game, but so far this one has been quite entertaining. The combat feels a lot smoother

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By falserelic

@TLKnight: Thanks for the heads up.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't play the first game since the general consensus towards it was that it was extremely mediocre and too repetitive.

But I'm going to pick this up as word of mouth is saying that this game is what the first game should have been. It is a sequel and it is similar to the first game, expect more polished and generally higher quality.

TLKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TLKnight

@Village_Guy: Exactly

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hbkdx12

Watched a walkthrough for a few hours and it's pretty much prototype 1 with a bit of polish. 

That big said, i loved prototype but i don't think this is worth 60 bucks given that i can pop in prototype and just do bullshit for half an hr or so and get my fill

Kri0s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kri0s

I got burned out on the original, BUT Prototype 2 is a lot more focused story wise if you want to play straight through, but there are so many collectibles and side missions to help beef Heller up, not to mention you can easily get lost just running around causing chaos. If you pick it up on this first round of releases you get the "Radnet Edition" which will give you additional challenges to complete for the next 7 weeks.

P.S. - Everyone needs a game to just pop in a go crazy with , so if you don't have one of those in you library yet, P2 is worth picking up

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Morrow

@ViciousReiven said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Pretty much this, I really enjoyed Prototype and am loving this one, it really doesn't change enough to bring in people who didn't like the first.

I LOVED the first game, but am hugely put-off by the fact that Mercer is your enemy. I don't want to fight against Alex ._. Even though I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy the gameplay (if it's really that similar to the first game).

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Morrow

@d0rks:

Hmmm I might have to reconsider getting this. But Alex ._.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TentPole

@TentPole said:

I rented it and am a couple of hours into it. It seems very similar to the first game. A bit more polished but this is very much a sequel. You should definitely check it out unless you actively disliked the first game.

Let me update this by saying that I am now about half way through the game and things have taken a turn for the worse. I think the combat is really bad. It is much sloppier and imprecise than the first game.

In fact after sinking considerably more time into it I have found the first game to better in every way than the sequel (with the exception of the much improved graphics.) I would not recommend this game to anyone but the most faithful of Prototype fans.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Getz

@TentPole said:

@TentPole said:

Let me update this by saying that I am now about half way through the game and things have taken a turn for the worse. I think the combat is really bad. It is much sloppier and imprecise than the first game.

In fact after sinking considerably more time into it I have found the first game to better in every way than the sequel (with the exception of the much improved graphics.) I would not recommend this game to anyone but the most faithful of Prototype fans.

Damn, how could they make it worse?

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By RobotHamster

Just wait a couple weeks and I bet the price will be significantly cheaper.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Jeust

How about the story? Is it the predictable big jockey muscly dude looking to avenge his family from the big bad Alex Mercer?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lukeweizer

It'll be $30 in 4 months.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TentPole

@Getz: The big thing is that I think the combat is sloppier than in the first game. Attacks will home in on your character because they want to have you use a quicktime dodge mechanic by hitting A at the right time. The problem is that I will manual dodge attacks (like a thrown car) and clearly jump out of the way just for them to suddenly change trajectory and home in on me because the game does not want me to dodge. It wants me to wait for a quicktime prompt even if I am out of the way I still get the prompt and take damage though the attack misses. This happens constantly but it is not every attack so I do not know when I should be trying to dodge and when I should just wait for a prompt.

Meanwhile the game seems to have even less weight to it than the first game and never gives you a sense of actually connecting with you attacks. There is no impact. It is just very sloppy all around. The context for missions is not very clear and the majority of main story missions feel like they should have been side-missions consisting of going to a marked location and fighting a couple waves of foes with hardly any context.

That being said the stealth sequences and graphics are significantly improved. Also I am hearing many people are liking it more than the first so you might want to see what they have to say. But for my part I think they are wrong and that this is kinda a bad game.

For reference I would describe the first game as a flawed but mostly good game.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Getz

@TentPole said:

@Getz: The big thing is that I think the combat is sloppier than in the first game. Attacks will home in on your character because they want to have you use a quicktime dodge mechanic by hitting A at the right time. The problem is that I will manual dodge attacks (like a thrown car) and clearly jump out of the way just for them to suddenly change trajectory and home in on me because the game does not want me to dodge. It wants me to wait for a quicktime prompt even if I am out of the way I still get the prompt and take damage though the attack misses. This happens constantly but it is not every attack so I do not know when I should be trying to dodge and when I should just wait for a prompt.

Meanwhile the game seems to have even less weight to it than the first game and never gives you a sense of actually connecting with you attacks. There is no impact. It is just very sloppy all around. The context for missions is not very clear and the majority of main story missions feel like they should have been side-missions consisting of going to a marked location and fighting a couple waves of foes with hardly any context.

That being said the stealth sequences and graphics are significantly improved. Also I am hearing many people are liking it more than the first so you might want to see what they have to say. But for my part I think they are wrong and that this is kinda a bad game.

For reference I would describe the first game as a flawed but mostly good game.

I just went in to my local Gamestop where I know most of the dudes that work there, and the manager just told me straight up "Don't buy this game." I think that about sums it up for me, when the guy who's constantly trying to upsell me on useless bullshit like strategy guides and insurance won't even sell me the game.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Jeust said:

How about the story? Is it the predictable big jockey muscly dude looking to avenge his family from the big bad Alex Mercer?

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/24/2971983/prototype-2-review

While Prototype's tone was dark, it wasn't as aggressively meatheaded as its successor. Heller responds to opposition in Prototype 2like a high school jock stereotype, calling his enemies "motherfuckers" and "dicks" with not a hint of cleverness to his insults. Near the end of the game, he tells a boss character that he will "skullfuck [him] and drain [his] memories out the hole."
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Jeust
    @d0rks said:

@Jeust: It's actually more like Nier - and since you're sufficiently familiar with that story I guess I can leave it at that, so I don't have to care about spoilers.

@Dallas_Raines said:

@Jeust said:

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/24/2971983/prototype-2-review

While Prototype's tone was dark, it wasn't as aggressively meatheaded as its successor. Heller responds to opposition in Prototype 2like a high school jock stereotype, calling his enemies "motherfuckers" and "dicks" with not a hint of cleverness to his insults. Near the end of the game, he tells a boss character that he will "skullfuck [him] and drain [his] memories out the hole."
    Thanks for the replies dudes! Looks like  there is a deep and moving purpose to Heller, that gets a childish treatment along the game. I'll eventually buy the game if I have the chance after a price drop. 
    TLKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TLKnight

After playing the game to completion, I'm going to have to say pass on this pile. The first, while flawed, was a much more enjoyable experience

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Fearbeard

If you like the first then definitely play it. I enjoyed the first game, but I'm having a lot more fun with this one.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By falserelic

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'm going to buy this game when its cheap. I'm just going to save my money for max pain 3, or the payday the heist DLC.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BPRJCTX

@Doctorchimp said:

Yeah, i loved the first one, but, i have to say they didn't do enough to call this a sequel.

It's just more of the same.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BPRJCTX

@TentPole said:

@TentPole said:

Yeah, i didn't want to just come out and say it like that, cause i only played it for like 2 hours 'till i've said enough, but, i loved the first game, and i was just not enjoying my time with the second game.

I don't know exaclty what they did wrong, but it does not feel as good as the first game.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @ViciousReiven said:

@Doctorchimp said:

The only thing that I hated about the first was the unreasonable elevation in frustrating difficulty (rather than challenging difficulty). Does this game suffer from the same cheap game design?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By Yummylee

@AhmadMetallic said:

@ViciousReiven said:

@Doctorchimp said:

The only thing that I hated about the first was the unreasonable elevation in frustrating difficulty (rather than challenging difficulty). Does this game suffer from the same cheap game design?

I haven't played it, but from what I've read it's meant to be much more balanced. Some have even said it's a little too easy in fact this time around.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Tennmuerti

As far as P1 > P2 quality goes, technically Prototype 2 seems like a better game, with a list of improvements I could go throuth, but somehow I enjoyed Prototype 1 a whole lot more.
    Largely due to a more interesting story overall I believe in 1 as well as a more interesing ending (bar the shit bossfight). 

I miss Alex's flair when killing dudes with the giant blade and going stab-stab-stab backwards. Miss the fact that you do not get the awesome stretchy claw that was so great in 1 right untill the end. Miss the armor that made you look so badass in 1. And I liked the higher degree of freedom leveling up Alex since all his abilities were bought with XP not all segregated and tied into missions/sidemissions.

Dunno, i just enjoyed Prototype 1 more overall.

VeRKK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By VeRKK

The game is fun, meaning the mechanics and the mission design (while quite repetitive) is good. The narrative, story and writing is garbage. I am sorry, but it is horrible. Not that the first one was that much to be honest, but the entire writing for Heller is horrific. Most of the side characters are boring and poorly written. The good thing is that there is only one way to initiate sidemissions, which is via the /Blacknet missions, you have about 3-4 different type of missions for each /Blacknet area. It is totally a fun and chaotic game, I would rather suggest waiting for a sale on it, or renting it, since the narrative is bad, and the visuals/engine are not good enough.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Rekt_Hed

@Lukeweizer said:

It'll be $30 in 4 months.

Yeh im on the same vibe as this dude. The first game was fun but I would be suprised if it holds its value after a short amount of time. I mean you can still buy copies of the 'limited edition' of Darkness 2 that have come way down in price and that wasnt released to long ago. Id say if your burning to play it get it but if your on the fence and have other things to do save your self some money

Paindamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Paindamnation

It's worth a rent. Beat it yesterday. It's fun. But you don't get much out of it once you beat it. Glad I rented it though. Gonna trade it in for Max Payne 3.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By laserbolts

Definitly not worth 60 bucks. Wait for a price drop or rent it if you want to play it.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm

@falserelic said:

But I'm kinda on the fence sense I've seen the ign review.

What?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.