Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prototype 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 24, 2012

The sequel to Radical Entertainment's 2009 ultra-violent sandbox game, Prototype 2 returns to an urban landscape ravaged by an all-consuming virus.

Prototype 3? (spoilers for 2)

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Morrow

Hey guys, I just finished Prototype 2 and even though the gameplay is as fast and fun as in the first one, I was a little disappointed by the story. It seemed like it didn't pick up any of the loose ends of the first one, mainly the stuff about Elizabeth Greene's son Pariah. Also, Dana's reaction at the ending when she asked "What now?" leaves the door wide open for a third part.

But what made me curious the most is the question mark behind the Murder your Maker? trophy. I mean, can it get any more suggestive? Heller consumed Mercer, but Mercer was the personification of the virus, so due to his nature he should actually be able to live on inside Heller's body.

What are your thoughts about this?

I can already see Heller and Mercer fighting over the control of their body in Prototype 3...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I still can't believe that there are people who actually cares for the 'fiction' of the Prototype games O_o

EDIT: But y'know what... I fucking love the overarching story for the Resident Evil series, to which many would be just as confuzzled by, so carry on.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

@Morrow said:

I can already see Heller and Mercer fighting over the control of their body in Prototype 3...

That sounds boring.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Morrow

@Yummylee said:

I still can't believe that there are people who actually cares for the 'fiction' of the Prototype games O_o

EDIT: But y'know what... I fucking love the overarching story for the Resident Evil series, to which many would be just as confuzzled by, so carry on.

Well I really liked the first game, as flawed as it was. And I wouldn't mind having another game with Alex Mercer. I think his part in 2 didn't really do justice to his character.

In the end stuff like that is a matter of taste :)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

I was disappointed by the story in the second game. Mercer was the virus itself, and instead of developig such character they made a angsty foul-mouthed main character without a shread of likability. So I don't care, still to have a third game, the second has to make profit, especially since the publisher is Activision-Blizzard. There might not be a third game at all.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Crixaliz

@Jeust said:

Mercer was the virus itself, and instead of developig such character they made a angsty foul-mouthed main character without a shread of likability.

That and the ending sound pretty bad.

Was Heller atleast an interesting character by the end? In the quick-look he sounded a little shallow

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Morrow

@Crixaliz said:

Was Heller atleast an interesting character by the end?

Err... no. I didn't really connect to the character and all his cursing seemed rather funny because it was so overdone. Heller is a pretty forgettable character in my opinion.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

@Morrow said:

@Yummylee said:

Well I really liked the first game, as flawed as it was. And I wouldn't mind having another game with Alex Mercer. I think his part in 2 didn't really do justice to his character.

Well, yeah, but it's all about whether someone can explain and give reasoning behind their opinions and taste. Anyone can take the easy way out and just go with ''OPINIONS!'', but then that completely abolishes any idea of discussion.

EDIT: Also congrats, your thread has been given the honour of hosting one of GB's many illustrious spam bots ;P

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Crixaliz

@Morrow: That's really disappointing. I'm kinda glad I didn't get a chance to pick a copy, since the story and characters were a main draw for me.

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By JunkHype

I kind of assumed everything was over and done with. "What now?" Live our lives yada yada yada. I don't want just more Prototype, but if they change some stuff up I would probably take a look.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Morrow

@Yummylee said:

@Morrow said:

@Yummylee said:

Well, yeah, but it's all about whether someone can explain and give reasoning behind their opinions and taste. Anyone can take the easy way out and just go with ''OPINIONS!'', but then that completely abolishes any idea of discussion.

Sure, and whenever I'm asked about my opinions I can explain them :]

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Morrow

@Crixaliz said:

@Morrow: That's really disappointing. I'm kinda glad I didn't get a chance to pick a copy, since the story and characters were a main draw for me.

I think the developers were relying a little too much on the first game. Prototype 2 feels more like an additional episode of the scenario of the first game, rather than a stand-alone storyline.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeust

@Morrow said:

@Crixaliz said:

I think the developers were relying a little too much on the first game. Prototype 2 feels more like an additional episode of the scenario of the first game, rather than a stand-alone storyline.

yeah, and the plot is childish. Mercer left NY after the first game, got his heart broken and decided to return to the city to infest it even further.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Morrow

@Jeust said:

@Morrow said:

@Crixaliz said:

yeah, and the plot is childish. Mercer left NY after the first game, got his heart broken and decided to return to the city to infest it even further than in the first game.

Well... heartbroken sounds a bit cheesy :D

It was also not only because of the woman, he lost faith in humanity and started to hate humans because he witnessed a lot of gruesome behaviour during his journey. As I already explained in another post about Mercer: The opinion he develops during his journey, that humans are disgusting and not worth saving, isn't that unpopular these days. More and more people become critical about humanities' morals and actions.

So, I don't really think it all comes down to that one woman, it's more about the demise of humanity among humans that influenced his actions.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Phatmac

Wow, people give a shit about Prototype's story? How did that happen?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeust

@Morrow said:

@Jeust said:

@Morrow said:

@Crixaliz said:

yeah, and the plot is childish. Mercer left NY after the first game, got his heart broken and decided to return to the city to infest it even further than in the first game.

Well... heartbroken sounds a bit cheesy :D

It was also not only because of the woman, he lost faith in humanity and started to hate humans because he witnessed a lot of gruesome behaviour during his journey. As I already explained in another post about Mercer: The opinion he develops during his journey, that humans are disgusting and not worth saving, isn't that unpopular these days. More and more people become critical about humanities' morals and actions.

So, I don't really think it all comes down to that one woman, it's more about the demise of humanity among humans that influenced his actions.

and his heart broken. ahah

I agree. Still for me the story it is worse than in the first game, and as I don't like the main character, i don't have much curiosity about its progression. :(

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Morrow: I don't know much about this game, but you make it sound like there's some crazy deep stuff going on story-wise.  Is this actually the case, or does it just sound complex and interesting when taken out of the context of the actual game?  Should I have played these games?
    Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Morrow

@Spoonman671 said:

@Morrow: I don't know much about this game, but you make it sound like there's some crazy deep stuff going on story-wise. Is this actually the case, or does it just sound complex and interesting when taken out of the context of the actual game? Should I have played these games?

I think that depends on how much you are willing to dive into the games and their characters. You can read more about the games here http://prototype.wikia.com/wiki/Prototype_Wiki and see for yourself if you like the theme.

My opinion would be pretty subjective.

GeoffPeterson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GeoffPeterson1

Considering the recent closure of Radical Entertainment the future of the Prototype franchise doesn't look well.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Morrow

@GeoffPeterson1 said:

Considering the recent closure of Radical Entertainment the future of the Prototype franchise doesn't look well.

Yah. Goodbye, Alex ._.

lukacrmari9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lukacrmari9

yeah at the end you win a trophy "Murder Your Marker?" sooo i gues they will make prototype 3 and there will be mercer :)))))))))))))))))))))

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I just finished the second game and I liked it a lot more then the first game.  I would think Mercer is gone or at least plays like a voice inside your head type role.  I would think the next game would be the last and it would focus on taking out gentek or however its spelled.  It would be tough doing the huge free roam style as the city setting is tired and stale now so they'd have to think of something new.

andrewsoccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if anything they should make the 3rd game more about Elizabeth green and her whole back story. Then they could use that to answer all the left over questions.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

probably got to look more to infamous for this type of thing as between the 2 franchises, that seems to be the one that is left standing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.