Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prototype 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 24, 2012

The sequel to Radical Entertainment's 2009 ultra-violent sandbox game, Prototype 2 returns to an urban landscape ravaged by an all-consuming virus.

Sometimes you just want a cheeseburger

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Tomorrowman

I guess my tastes are changing as I get older. Maybe they are getting worse?

I'm saving up for my wedding and don't have much money to put towards games right now, so I find myself debating between several upcoming picks.

However, the one that keeps coming out on top, Prototype 2, is the one I know I SHOULDN'T get. I'm a 28 year old gamer, for goodness sake. I should have a more refined pallet by now. Look at the beautiful and intense ballet of Max Payne 3. What about the epic and singular trip of The Witcher 2?

Nah, fuck it, I wanna eat people and have claw hands and kick helicopters and punch tanks.

I'm embarrassed to be frank. I still have Skyrim sitting unfinished, but I can't play more than an hour at a time before I start to feel like I'm playing some sort of strange inventory management simulator instead of a video game.

GB community, does this make me a bad person?

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By matthias2437

Yes. Not liking good games and liking very gimmicky, probably bad games makes you a bad person. EDIT: This is sarcasm.

Really though who cares what games people like. Personally I don't care for Prototype 2 at all and much prefer the witcher but to each his own. EDIT: Also I'm going to assume most people don't know what "to each his own" means.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

No. Prototype 2 may not be a "thinking man's game," but from the couple reviews I've glanced at it seems like it's at least a decent game, so there's no reason to be embarrassed about wanting to play it. Sometimes you just have to play something dumb and ridiculous.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By nohthink

@Tomorrowman: My man, I'm totally with you. But I think it's purely because there is no game to play right now.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm thinking "man, I know this game is not a "great" game but I am bored as hell, but man I really gotta study for my LSAT but man I could use a new game right now..."

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@matthias2437 said:

Personally I don't care for Prototype 2 at all and much prefer the witcher but to each his own.

Can't a man play both? I am in love with the Witcher right now, but I am still going to be playing Prototype 2 eventually. Theres nothing wrong with having diverse tastes. Sometimes you can enjoy a nice juicy lobster tail or a steak. And sometimes you want the grittiest, greasiest cheese burger you can find, With a side of fries.

No need to be one sided about everything.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By killacam

hey, your title nailed it. to use movies as a metaphor, sometimes i just wanna watch a stupid comedy starring some (ideally 2 or 3) hot girl(s) rather than something from the crtierion collection that is going incredible but also take more effort.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By jillsandwich

@matthias2437 said:

Yes. Not liking good games and liking very gimmicky, probably bad games makes you a bad person.

Really though who cares what games people like. Personally I don't care for Prototype 2 at all and much prefer the witcher but to each his own.

Yeah, you're wrong.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By matthias2437

@senorfuzzeh: That is not at all what I was saying. The entire point of that was the end part... you know where it says "to each his own". If "his own" is liking both, or just one then that is just fine.

StalkingTurnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StalkingTurnip

You should not feel bad for playing whatever kind of game you like. If you honestly think you would prefer Prototype 2 it would be wrong if you tried to suppress your true self just to fit in.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Also, I always want cheeseburgers. Always.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

If you prefer Prototype 2 there is nothing wrong with that.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By MikeGosot

Prototype 2 looks hella fun.  There's nothing wrong in turning your brain off and just fucking kill everything.

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tomorrowman

Thanks for the support. My fears are coming from the fact that I no longer seem to have to patience for games to 'immerse' me. Maybe it's just that I don't have the time anymore. I only have about an hour a day to play if I'm lucky, and I can get in some marathon time on my day off, but even then it can be scary to turn on something like the WItcher even though I know it's a better place to spend my 60 bucks.

Anyone else facing this? I want to play the epics but don't want my entire game session to be inventory management anymore.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By mikemcn

Prototype certainly wasn't stupid, it was no Mass Effect 2 story-wise but it was well made and appeared to be good fun. Prototype 2 appears to be an improvement on that, why wouldn't you be interested in that?

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By stryker1121

@Tomorrowman: Don't be embarrassed. So many games try to be profound and miss the mark. While Proto2 seems to have some half-baked story in there somewhere, it's really all about elbow-dropping tanks and mass-murdering mutants w/ clawed tentacles. In summation, it's all right to be a philistine!

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Barrock

It's actually getting pretty great reviews. So go for it.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thesquarepear

Get it. I bet it's more fun than Saints Row.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sjosz

It's really all just about what will satisfy your gaming needs at the end of the day. Do you want a guilty pleasure game to play? Get one.

Spongetwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Spongetwan

@senorfuzzeh said:

@matthias2437 said:

Personally I don't care for Prototype 2 at all and much prefer the witcher but to each his own.

Can't a man play both? I am in love with the Witcher right now, but I am still going to be playing Prototype 2 eventually. Theres nothing wrong with having diverse tastes. Sometimes you can enjoy a nice juicy lobster tail or a steak. And sometimes you want the grittiest, greasiest cheese burger you can find, With a side of fries.

No need to be one sided about everything.

I feel the same way!!!!

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By EuanDewar

That trailer that used Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" was supes dumb.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ravenlight

@MooseyMcMan said:

Also, I always want cheeseburgers. Always.

Always.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

Why be embarrassed? Prototype was miles better than Infamous, even with all its flaws and fucked up bosses. I'm also looking forward to seeing that they did with Prototype 2.

@TheSquarePear said:

Get it. I bet it's more fun than Saints Row.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BraveToaster

Why do people think that 28 is old?

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@matthias2437: Sorry, Wasn't trying to imply you were one sided.

I was more speaking to the world. I realize that sounded kind of attacking.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is nothing wrong with wanting to play Prototype 2, not only is the game apparently quite a bit better than the first game - GameInformer review says that they took the critique from the first game to heart and that Prototype 2 redeems the franchise after the first game being pretty mediocre - but there is nothing wrong with wanting some chaos and mindless action.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Just because someone else thinks a game is bad or dumb doesn't mean you still can't enjoy it. If you have a Redbox near you I'd definately go rent it for a few days and see if it's still enjoyable.

Yorkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Yorkin

I can relate, I'm 27 and have been gaming my whole life, and lately my tastes have veered from deeper, story-driven experiences like Witcher 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, toward games like Shoot Many Robots.

That game is so repetitive, but I put about 16 hours into it because it doesn't require hardly any thought.

I just haven't been interested in games with much story lately, or even games that I need to pay close attention to. I just want something dumb that I can play while I zone out and maybe listen to a podcast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.