Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prototype 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 24, 2012

The sequel to Radical Entertainment's 2009 ultra-violent sandbox game, Prototype 2 returns to an urban landscape ravaged by an all-consuming virus.

This is coming out in 2 weeks!!!

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By buzz_killington

Activision is throwing this one under the bus with extreme prejudice, it seems. No new trailers in like a year, and it's coming out in two weeks!!! And then they'll just close down Radical two days later. It's a shame, because the game looked really cool in E3.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Yanngc33

Prototype was really cool. Prototype 2 looks like more of the same.

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pink_o_mat

Is anything other coming out in 2 weeks? Any reason to throw this under the bus?

I am cautiously optimistic about the game!

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SlightConfuse

Gamestop has a pre order bound so they are not ignoreing it out right

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Seedofpower

Damn, I got a friend who really liked the first game. Sucks for him I guess.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vitor

Judging from the trailers, it looks like they've barely changed anything and the game looks dated as hell. Can't say I'm surprised.

It's a shame though, first game had potential.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Pie

Well, urm, hah, I'll be getting it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

There's a lot of preorder stuff floating around and even a collectors edition, so there's some effort being put towards its release I think. I may get it down the line for around £10-£20, but I'm in no rush. The original was OK, but it got stupid difficult as it went on. Prototype was at its best when it was a breezy chaos simulator.

EDIT: Also, for all of its powers, a lot of them were useless. The Blade arm made all of the other weapons redundant, and Prototype possibly has the most underwhelming curb stomp I've ever seen in a game.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Tylea002

@Pie said:

ProtoTylea, at your service.

I want this game RIGHT NOW. God I loved the first one.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust

I loved the first game, but the new character just turned me off the game. I wanted to play Mercer again, not a bulky random guy.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee

@Jeust said:

I loved the first game, but the new character just turned me off the game. I wanted to play Mercer again, not a bulky random guy.

What makes the new guy so different. He quite literally just looks like a Black Alex Mercer with his hood down. It's not like Alex, or the Virus technically, was a particularly compelling character. If anything, I like this new guy better already just because he's a cool black guy instead of a mopy white guy.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Sooperspy

I liked the first one quite a bit, but I don't feel it was worth $60. This time I'll either just rent it or buy it when its cheaper. And I have seen some commercials on TV for the gamestop pre-order bonuses.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeust

@Abyssfull said:

@Jeust said:

What makes the new guy so different. He quite literally just looks like a Black Alex Mercer with his hood down. It's not like Alex, or the Virus technically, was a particularly compelling character. If anything, I like this new guy better already just because he's a cool black guy instead of a mopy white guy.

I agree, but what I find lacking in this one is charisma. I like empathizing with the main character I'm playing, and I don't feel I can with this one. I also wanted to follow Mercer's search for Pariah, not someone trying to kill Mercer.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By buzz_killington

@Jeust said:

I loved the first game, but the new character just turned me off the game.

Was it because he was BLACK??????? Haha, I'm only kidding... I hate Black people too!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jeust

@buzz_killington said:

@Jeust said:

I loved the first game, but the new character just turned me off the game.

Was it because he was BLACK??????? Haha, I'm only kidding... I hate Black people too!

ahah no! I don't have problem with colour or sexuality, I just prefer Mercer's style, and what is hinted as the path he would take makes the new protagonist much less appealing to me.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ares42

There was a trailer released like 2 weeks ago. It was terrible though, but still a trailer.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, I enjoyed Prototype. Way better than inFamous to my mind.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By stryker1121

I forgot about the game myself, and I liked the first Prototype to a point. Parkour stuff was fun and the game does well to make you feel badass. But things get repetitive fairly quickly and there wasn't much interesting stuff to do outside of the main quest. Absorbing NPCs for their memories was neat, though. End of the day the game will have to really knock me out for a full-price purchase.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Vitor said:

Judging from the trailers, it looks like they've barely changed anything and the game looks dated as hell. Can't say I'm surprised.

What?  They've changed the renderer completely.  Prototype 2 looks a LOT better than 1 did.  And the gameplay doesn't need to change because the gameplay was great!  Did GTA's gameplay change much throughout the series?  No.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hatking

I have nothing to play until Max Payne comes out, then a really long gap after that. Maybe I'll pick this up.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By musubi

@Pink_o_mat said:

Is anything other coming out in 2 weeks? Any reason to throw this under the bus?

I am cautiously optimistic about the game!

Witcher 2 comes out for Xbox 360 if I'm not mistaken. Nothing really huge until Max Payne 3 though.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NegativeCero

Barely any stuff out there so close to release is never good. Can't say this has been on my radar though.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By jacdg

Does the story tie in with the first game at all as far as we know? Didn't finish 1, and while I'm sure the story remained as dull as it was in the beginning of the game, would be nice if I didn't miss out on any important bits that might've happened later on in the game.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By hockeymask27

@Jeust said:

My thoughts exactly. The new guy just seems off.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ares42

@JacDG said:

Does the story tie in with the first game at all as far as we know? Didn't finish 1, and while I'm sure the story remained as dull as it was in the beginning of the game, would be nice if I didn't miss out on any important bits that might've happened later on in the game.

Only on a conceptual level afaik. While I'm sure there might be some throwbacks from what I remember the story setup is basically that you're now hunting Alex Mercer instead of playing him.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Yummylee

@JacDG said:

The guy you play as was infected by Alex and is actually hunting him down. Otherwise, the only notable story point within the original that could matter in the sequel is Alex Mercer was dead the entire time; your character was the virus itself just using Alex's form and memories

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Tried the demo of the first one and didn't like it so doubt I will get this one unless it turns out to be awesome. April looking dry, wish my Wii wasn't broken so I could get Xenoblade but that is too big of a game to play now, will wait for summer.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Cincaid

I'm actually playing through the first game right now, working on the achievements. Only need the Hard playthrough done (yep, got all Platinums on the Events), and holy hell does that difficulty drag down the fun of the game. The problem with targeting, the awful controls, and extremely cheap deaths is really trying my patience on that achievement.

That said I have high hopes on the sequel, since the core game is really enjoyable. I trust the developer learned from their mistakes on the first title, and I only hope Activision doesn't throw them to the wolves afterwards.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By JTB123

I'm really looking forward to Prototype 2, really enjoyed the first game, was a great game to just tear shit up in. I do hope they build on the combat though, it really had potential.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JonSmith

Definitely buying it. While I'll be the first to admit the first game had... issues. Substantial issues. Particularly for a game released when it was, I quite enjoyed the first game regardless, and I am looking forward to the second one. Also, happy I don't have to wait through year after year of delays before getting to play this one, like I had to for the first.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BSw

Never played or even really seen the first one. Sounds like I have to pick that one up sometime!

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I can play through the majority of the game disguised as an old lady, I'm in.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vitor

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Vitor said:

What? They've changed the renderer completely. Prototype 2 looks a LOT better than 1 did. And the gameplay doesn't need to change because the gameplay was great! Did GTA's gameplay change much throughout the series? No.

Really? Because I see the same extremely limited draw distance and flat lighting engine from before. Could barely tell the difference, but then again, I hardly played any of the original.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sasnake

um, theres been trailers and hands on previews of this game...even a 10 reasons why u should buy this game trailer that came out like last week....

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By jacdg

@Abyssfull said:

@JacDG said:

The guy you play as was infected by Alex and is actually hunting him down. Otherwise, the only notable story point within the original that could matter in the sequel is Alex Mercer was dead the entire time; your character was the virus itself just using Alex's form and memories

thank you, not sure if I'll get this one yet, I'll wait for the reviews and see if there are a little more variety in missions, and a better or more interesting story.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@Pie said:

Same. Only game whre you can run 60 miles per hour straight up the empire state building and do a back flip up off the top without even stopping from running, turn your first into a giant Hulk Smash glove of death while your falling and elbow drop an old lady... Then steal her identity and do it again, only this time as an old lady.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.