Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Psychonauts

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 19, 2005

Developed by Double Fine Productions, Psychonauts is a platforming action-adventure game in which players take on the role of Razputin, a young psychic out to thwart an evil plot to subvert the minds of other powerful psychics.

do I play it on PC or xbox 360?

totriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By totriz

I just bought Psychonauts for $2 on steam, I wanted to buy it for a long time on xbox live marketplace, but the price and region restrictions for my country made me bail. 
    The thing is, playing on pc sucks, for me at least, the control just doesn't feel snappy enough, even after mapping the xbox 360 controller, and my laptop struggles to run it smoothly at a decent resolution. 
    I don't want to play on my desktop PC because of the heat (it's a very hot summer here in Chile) and the noise, and all the hassle that implies setting up my PC: it's hidden behind a web of cables and just has the power and ethernet cables connected, since I just use remote desktop if I need to use it, mainly for long renders on after effects and 3ds max. 
     So, I may just end up circumventing the region lock and finally buy it on the 360, but I haven't made a decision yet.   
    Do I buy it on xbox? 
    Does it run widescreen on xbox? 
    Do I stop bitching and just install it on my desktop PC?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

I played it for about an hour yesterday on my PC (with 360 controller). Didn't really run into any problems (aside from not being able to map to the triggers).

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @totriz: I would just install it on your desktop PC. No point in wasting the extra $15. Unless of course you just want to support Double Fine.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Yukoei

Sounds that in your condition, you are better off playing in on the 360, $2 is nothing to worry about. 

Not sure if it runs in widescreen though, sorry.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

I played it on PC in 2005 and it worked great with an Xbox controller. If I didn't know better I'd say I was playing on a high quality console, having also played it on Xbox.

Not sure about widescreen on xbox as I didn't have a wide tv at the time. But the PC version correctly supports widescreen (except minor cutscene and HUD stretching)

If you feel HAVE to play on 360 to have a good experience, then that's what has to be done. It's a great game that should be played.

Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jerusahat
    @ajamafalous said:
    " I played it for about an hour yesterday on my PC (with 360 controller). Didn't really run into any problems (aside from not being able to map to the triggers). "
    Xpadder works well for mapping the triggers and right stick. There's a good post on the Steam forums that has all the links etc.
    crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crystalskull2

You have already bought the game. So,at first give it a try in your PC.

totriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By totriz
    @crystalskull2: yeah, from what I've read the xbox version does not run in widescreen. I'll give it another shot on the PC.  
    If it goes on deal of the week on xbox live I'll definitely buy and play it again.
    crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crystalskull2
    @totriz said:
    " @crystalskull2: yeah, from what I've read the xbox version does not run in widescreen. I'll give it another shot on the PC.  If it goes on deal of the week on xbox live I'll definitely buy and play it again. "

I hope you will enjoy it. It reminds me i still haven't finished it.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Jerusahat said:

" @ajamafalous said:

" I played it for about an hour yesterday on my PC (with 360 controller). Didn't really run into any problems (aside from not being able to map to the triggers). "
    Xpadder works well for mapping the triggers and right stick. There's a good post on the Steam forums that has all the links etc. "
    Is your 360 controller wired? If so you can use the excellently configurable XBCD 360 drivers. If it's wireless, your only other option (aside from MS drivers with a joy-to-key program like xpadder) is to use some wonky Japanese drivers for the wireless USB receiver which are a bitch to switch between.

I used the XBCD drivers on my non 360 controller when I played through it.
    Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jerusahat
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Jerusahat said:

" @ajamafalous said:

Xpadder works well for mapping the triggers and right stick. There's a good post on the Steam forums that has all the links etc. "
    Is your 360 controller wired? If so you can use the excellently configurable XBCD 360 drivers. If it's wireless, your only other option (aside from MS drivers with a joy-to-key program like xpadder) is to use some wonky Japanese drivers for the wireless USB receiver which are a bitch to switch between.  I used the XBCD drivers on my non 360 controller when I played through it. "
    Both my controllers are wireless, unfortunately. I've been tempted to try the Motioninjoy drivers, but disabling the driver signing seems like a pain.

It's weird, I've heard some reports of proper MS drivers (for the wired version) that treat the right analog stick as axes instead of rotation. If you could just change the config on the fly, a lot of these DirectInput/XInput problems would go away.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Jerusahat said:

" It's weird, I've heard some reports of proper MS drivers (for the wired version) that treat the right analog stick as axes instead of rotation. If you could just change the config on the fly, a lot of these DirectInput/XInput problems would go away. "

Yeah the drawback of the XBCD or the Japanese drivers (unlinked) is that they don't funtion as Xinput controllers when in use. But they can be configured on the fly with their respective utilities (as long as a game isn't using it at the time). 

As far as the right stick on wired controllers goes, the only 360 one I've owned was a third party one and it used the same RX/RY axes as the wireless ones do. Games like Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) refuse to work with the RX/RY axes for some reason but work fine with Z/RZ or even Slider1/Slider2 as the axes. But I got rid of that one because it felt like a third party controller.

If I were you I would get a wired controller for the sake of PC compatibility with all DirectInput games and having a third controller. I would own one if I didn't already own three wireless controllers (MS drivers) a USB adapter for two Xbox1 controllers (XBCD drivers). For example Assassins Creed, regardless of being a GFW title, won't work correctly with a wireless controller (triggers) so I use my fallback.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.