Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Psychonauts

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 19, 2005

Developed by Double Fine Productions, Psychonauts is a platforming action-adventure game in which players take on the role of Razputin, a young psychic out to thwart an evil plot to subvert the minds of other powerful psychics.

Minecraft's Creator Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 [UPDATED]

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By buzz_killington

I guess Notch does have that kind of money to just angel-fund a game he likes. Man, if this actually ends up happening, then a new era is truly upon us.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#152  Edited By mracoon

I know Minecraft made a truckload of money but it can't be enough to develop a full retail release. That said, I would have no problems with a downloadable Psychonauts game.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#153  Edited By swoxx

OoOoooh update. Make it happen!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#154  Edited By Branthog

@mracoon said:

I know Minecraft made a truckload of money but it can't be enough to develop a full retail release. That said, I would have no problems with a downloadable Psychonauts game.

Uh. Minecraft made $60,000,000 USD as of six months ago - which was several months before it was even officially released and out of beta. Even after expenses, funding the next several Mojang games, hiring a lawyer, and hiring a couple of employees -- I'm pretty sure there's "a few million" possibly available for a Psychonauts game, if Notch wants it. Not to mention, if Notch did this and they needed some more funding or it turned out the estimate was higher than he was willing to chip in entirely, his support alone would encourage someone else out there to toss in a million or two.

Remember, this isn't GTA V. It doesn't need that kind of a budget. And I don't get the impression Notch is coming at this from the perspective of demanding that his investment reap a ten-fold return.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Hitchenson

I may hate Notch with all my heart but this might be cool.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#156  Edited By Suicrat

Hurray for the kind of social mobility only capitalism offers!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#157  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

If this happens, Notch will be ok in my book. But now I have to buy the original on steam. DAMN YOU!

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#158  Edited By Chemin

I'd buy the shit out of Psychonauts 2. It seems a bit far-fetched, but I'm hopeful.

ratzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#159  Edited By ratzombie

I'm so glad I bought several copies of Minecraft. We love you Notch!

miningguyx360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By miningguyx360

INDIE GAME DEVELOPERS UNITE!

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Arebuckle

This is kind of weird. Cool, but weird.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#162  Edited By mracoon
    @Branthog said:

@mracoon said:

Uh. Minecraft made $60,000,000 USD as of six months ago - which was several months before it was even officially released and out of beta. Even after expenses, funding the next several Mojang games, hiring a lawyer, and hiring a couple of employees -- I'm pretty sure there's "a few million" possibly available for a Psychonauts game, if Notch wants it. Not to mention, if Notch did this and they needed some more funding or it turned out the estimate was higher than he was willing to chip in entirely, his support alone would encourage someone else out there to toss in a million or two.

Remember, this isn't GTA V. It doesn't need that kind of a budget. And I don't get the impression Notch is coming at this from the perspective of demanding that his investment reap a ten-fold return.

Yeah, but a proper console game (not XBLA/PSN) must cost like at least $10mil to develop and I'm not sure Notch would be willing to give that away. Also, that figure is all revenue and doesn't take into account taxes, overheads and whatnot. Notch needs money to develop his own games too! I agree with your last point that Mojang could kickstart development before a bigger investor came in.
    Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Draxyle

This is the most random bit of news I've seen in a long time. If you had told me that my purchase of beta Minecraft two years back would eventually fund Psychonauts 2, I would have told you that you were crazy.

Kudos to Notch for being that millionaire who throws his money around to make his true dream game.

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By unequivocable

Yay!

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#165  Edited By Ronald

If Notch really was willing to do this, it would be cool of him to use the money he's made off of Minecraft to help make great games that can't get funding through the studio system. Hopefully, game players would then reward this by buying Psychonauts 2.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Branthog

@mracoon said:

@Branthog said:

@mracoon said:

Yeah, but a proper console game (not XBLA/PSN) must cost like at least $10mil to develop and I'm not sure Notch would be willing to give that away. Also, that figure is all revenue and doesn't take into account taxes, overheads and whatnot. Notch needs money to develop his own games too! I agree with your last point that Mojang could kickstart development before a bigger investor came in.

The average game costs around $20m to develop today (and about $5m six years ago and about a million a decade ago), but that doesn't mean much when those numbers are being thrown off by very large companies producing titles that are over $100m.

I'm almost certain it is feasible to make a game the scope and size of another Psychonauts without the requirements of a massive studio, a traditional publisher, and all the other middlemen for "a few million" (which is the non-specific number that Schafer has thrown around). They'd need about $20k for the license fees to develop for both consoles (combined) and though they'd have to do some marketing, a ton of it would already be done by the reputation of the game, the developers, and the story surrounding how it came to be.

Notch has some idea of the cost of making a game, both through Minecraft and his company and the former companies he worked for, developing games (though, sure, not on the same scale). However, if he could pony-up four or five million, I'm sure Schafer could find another investor or partner of some sort to foot another couple or so million. In the end, you're still talking about a fairly small game with a fairly small (50ish at Double Fine?) studio and you're not talking a game with the same kind of production and acting demands as an Uncharted.

Edited to add that I'm just pulling guesses out of my ass, here, but I think they're pretty reasonable. Though the numbers in my first paragraph are actual numbers. I mean, they're actual averages of cost to develop a game now. Obviously they're "numbers". :)

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#167  Edited By 1337W422102

Right on. And if they can find a way to get LucasArts to re-release/update Grim Fandango, I'll jizz in my pants hard enough to fill the Mariana Trench.

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#168  Edited By Zaxex

The idea alone makes me happy. I greatly respect Notch as it is, his game is extraordinary and I'm really glad it's been so successful for him. I notice his name near the top of the Humble Bundle purchases most of the time too.

I already own Psychonauts twice, and a sequel would be interesting to say the least. Hell, I'd buy it; if Notch helps fund development and makes his money back that'd make a great story.

Roujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Roujin

HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYASHITHOLYSHIT!!!!

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By BitterAlmond

@Superfriend said:

@Masha2932 said:

@BitterAlmond said:

@Maajin said:

@Superfriend said:

I can already hear Michel Ancel knocking on Notch´s door next week.

Michel Ancel doesn't need money for his projects, he needs a publisher who doesn't fucking releases his whimsical games the same day as every triple-A in the planet.

Truth.

I agree. Michael Ancel needs a more supportive publisher.

Like Mojang/Notch? I honestly see some potential in this. Dude who has money to spend and is willing to support a cause he believes in lets creative genius work on the game he wants to make.

As long as Notch doesn´t expect something like this to do CoD numbers, it´s a win-win situation.

It's not that Notch/Mojang would be a bad publisher, just that Ancel already has a deal with Ubisoft. Ubi ought to plan its release dates with a bit more thought.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By vinsanityv22

Man, the last thing I want is that minecraft douche to mess with Double Fine...

allodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By allodude

@vinsanityv22: Then worry not, Notch has said he fully intends to let Double Fine do their own thing.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#173  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Now If I had the money Id fund a brutal legend sequel.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#174  Edited By RagingLion

@coolvee said:

And with Notch and his access to half a million followers on twitter, Psychonauts 2 would have an infinitely better marketing campaign just from his twitter feed alone and would outsell Psychonauts 1 easily.

This is an important point I think and one both Double Fine and Notch himself might well be aware in terms of thinking about making back their money on this game.

As some have said, this whole sitatuion is really just so cool and special.

Boopie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Boopie

this is the proof atheists have been looking for that God exists

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#176  Edited By obscurefan

Hey whether this happens or not, I'm just happy that people are talking about the game again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Well Notch may now officially be the coolest dude in gaming. Jeff and Vinny don't count they just cover it.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By SlasherMan

@dezvous said:

We live in an awesome world. I don't say this necessarily excited for a Psychonauts 2. I have to admit I've never played the original but I feel like I really should. How is the PC version?

The game's great, the PC version is great. You really should play it. The game was actually on sale a couple of days ago. You can find it on both Steam and GOG.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#179  Edited By Dagbiker

I dont know if i want Tim to answer to that Asshole

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By spartanlolz92

and indie developer becoming a publisher 0____o

if this works out if the game comes out and if its a succes tim schaefer will finally get the recognition he deserves

and notch well he becomes richer which leads to more innovative titles.

:) im sorry but if this does take off it would be so awesome

RichieJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 9

#181  Edited By RichieJohn

this seems crazy

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#182  Edited By patrick

@Dagbiker said:

I dont know if i want Tim to answer to that Asshole

It is a rather jerk move to hand out free copies of your game over Twitter and solicit funding without expecting feedback opportunities.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#183  Edited By MetalGearSunny

@SerHulse said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@GioVANNI said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

@AURON570 said:

Did you really have to link to EVERY freaking tweet?

Do you get mad when people cite their sources on Wikipedia, too?

You're not supposed to do that, I don't think. There's some kind of policy in education that sourcing from Wikipedia is a big no-no.

I think he means citing your source on Wikipedia. Like posting something on Wikipedia and then citing the source of what you posted on Wikipedia.

But... who would do that? That's just fucking stupid.

I'm not sure you are entirely grasping what's being said here, he means,

If you are making a claim, statement or quoting something, you should cite where it came from, it's good practice, he doesn't mean literally linking to a Wikipedia page.

For example:

"Person X said this: 'blah blah blah' on Twitter yesterday"

*cue link to actual tweet*

(for proof mainly, and for others to verify any facts or to see the evidence first hand to draw their own conclusions, basically it's very important)

Yes, that was the message I tried to get across.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#184  Edited By granderojo

I just started playing through Psychonauts on Steam before all of this happened, you should all do the same, the Steam version is great. They redid a lot of the ingame textures and fixed some bugs that never got fixed in the final console versions.

sublime90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By sublime90

this would be pretty amazing if it actually happens.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Klei

FUCK PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY PLEASE? 

( note that this is the first time that my fanboyism takes over me )
    whylessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By whylessness

WHAT

DStason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By DStason

@ptc: Great idea. I'd like it if they did a HD release of the first game with achievements as well. My laptop sucks, so I don't want to get the PC version and I really don't want to have to buy the Xbox Original for $15.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By project343

Psychonauts is probably among my top 3 favourite games of all time. Calling me 'pumped' to see how this plays out is a grave understatement.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By selbie

I've never played Psychonauts so I seem to be tempted to spend yet another load of monies on Steam. Supporting Double Fine whilst simultaneously encouraging a new Psychonauts and ALSO giving Valve some pocket change?...sold.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Dagbiker

I hope Brad Mier didnt get in trouble because of what he said on Giant Bomb, and hope he can come back.

shway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By shway

crazyness

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Roger_Klotz

This just reeks of a mincraft dream world in psychonauts 2. God damn I want this game.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @evilalfie said:
    Good scoop Patrick.
    Patrick didn't scoop this.  It's been floating around for a couple of days.
    golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#195  Edited By golguin

I liked Psychonauts so I hope it gets made. It was one of the first funny games I played.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Milkman

@SeriouslyNow said:

@evilalfie said:
    Good scoop Patrick.
    Patrick didn't scoop this. It's been floating around for a couple of days.

It happened this morning.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Milkman said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@evilalfie said:
    Good scoop Patrick.
    Patrick didn't scoop this. It's been floating around for a couple of days.

It happened this morning.

There was a post yesterday from someone describing it.  That someone wasn't Patrick.  I'm in Australia, so yesterday to me might be the morning for you.
    n0nametaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#198  Edited By n0nametaz

OH GOD PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Jumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Jumbs

Wait, why do people hate Notch?

The only thing I can guess is "Sour Grapes".

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By MiniPato

@Jumbs said:

Wait, why do people hate Notch?

The only thing I can guess is "Sour Grapes".

He just rubs me the wrong way. He made a joke on twitter saying something about "giving the n*****s the right to vote." And him slinging insults and baseless accusations around about the Yogscast further soured me on him as a person. He also doesn't come across as someone who is very business savvy, minecraft riches aside. I respect him for finding success from his own hard work and making a game that thousands, myself included, enjoy, but I sometimes get the impression that he lets that success affect his ego.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.