Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Psychonauts

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 19, 2005

Developed by Double Fine Productions, Psychonauts is a platforming action-adventure game in which players take on the role of Razputin, a young psychic out to thwart an evil plot to subvert the minds of other powerful psychics.

Psychonauts 2 "would require a big sack of money"

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By AssInAss

In a live demo of Iron Brigade(A Game About Love) on this week's Giant Bomb's Thursday Night Throwdown (1:54:00), Brad Muir of Double Fine let slip that they'd totally be on board for Psychonauts2 if a big sack of money was dropped on an unspecified table.

When asked in a chat question about game pitches that got shot down, Brad declined to comment on the issue. However, he had this to say:

No Caption Provided

"If somebody wants to have all the money and come talk to us and be like, 'Hey, why don't you make Psychonauts 2?' and they drop a bag of money on a table...DUDE WE'RE DOING IT."

Microsoft doesn't comment on rumors and speculation.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

Unlike the IOS project and PC Iron Brigade "denials," the Psychonauts 2 one was the only one that seemed like they hadn't secured it yet. Sounded more like solicitation than trying not to announce a thing that existed.

edit: misread a line at first

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By phrali

psychonauts is one of those games that like 50 people like but they won't shut up about it so it seems like there's this huge demand for it.

psychonauts 2 would sell 50 copies and lose buttloads of money.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@phrali said:

psychonauts is one of those games that like 50 people like but they won't shut up about it so it seems like there's this huge demand for it.

No, no this isn't the case at all. Psychonauts is a very well regarded game. Critically acclaimed, in fact. At this point, now that Double Fine has secured a sizable number of dedicated fans, I think Psychonauts would do pretty well.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @phrali said:

Sadly, this. It'd soon be sold along with processed cheese in your favorite supermarket.
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker

@phrali said:

I think its more then 50 people but i agree, that it is a big risk seeing as how psychonauts sold. And I would want a full Psychhonauts game not a downloadable game.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss

@phrali said:

Pre-Brutal Legend I think Psychonauts 2 may have a had a pretty good chance. Unfortunately I think a lot curious fence-sitters and people wondering "So what's the big deal about these guys?" were turned off when they tried to answer this question with Brutal Legend and wouldn't bother taking a chance with Psychonauts now. Maybe some of this has been quashed by the quality of their downloadable releases but I'm not convinced it would do all that well either.

(To be clear, I really enjoyed Brutal Legend but I'll be the first to admit it's a tough game to try and defend)

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Butler

I totally asked that question ^^.

You could always start a Kickstarter or some other fundraising project if you wanted to gauge how much interest there would be in the project.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dagbiker

I have a rich Grandpa but he would never want to invest in a video game, he just likes to buy Jaguars on Ebay and stick them in storage in a cold garage. also guns.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phrali

@MariachiMacabre said:

@phrali said:

No, no this isn't the case at all. Psychonauts is a very well regarded game. Critically acclaimed, in fact. At this point, now that Double Fine has secured a sizable number of dedicated fans, I think Psychonauts would do pretty well.

critically acclaimed has nothing to do with profitable. there are plenty of critically acclaimed games in the bargain bins, and plenty of critically panned games that make retarded amounts of money.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By fox01313

Luckily now the folks at Double Fine could do a XBLA installment/prelude to Psychonauts2 to get more people interested in it then put out a full game with the higher demand.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sooty

As long as they don't be retarded like the publishers of Enslaved and Rayman it would likely sell quite well.

(by the above I mean, don't release your poorly marketed game amongst Call of Duty, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, FIFA and so on)

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @phrali said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@phrali said:

critically acclaimed has nothing to do with profitable. there are plenty of critically acclaimed games in the bargain bins, and plenty of critically panned games that make retarded amounts of money.

Psychonauts didn't flop actually, it just wasn't a huge money spinner.  It also has a really strong market now, we live in a post Braid world where lots of esoteric titles are being made.  The whole besmirching of this game because Brutal Legend blah blah seems mindless to me. Brutal Legend was really their first big game in a long time and its development cycle was arrested a couple of times as it passed from Activison to seeming oblivion and then on to EA.. Double Fine make lots of different types of games and they've really found their footing now, so I'm pretty sure not only could they make a fine Psychonauts sequel but they could also create many SP narrative based games into the future.  They probably won't because they make more money from shorter development cycles but to say that Tim and the guys can't make a good SP game like Psychonauts is beyond silly.
    JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JCGamer

I have a feeling that a new Psychonaughts game would do poorly. While I loved the first game and would love to see a sequel, I think the Internet acclaim just won't translate over to financial success.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phrali

@SeriouslyNow said:

@phrali said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@phrali said:

Psychonauts didn't flop actually, it just wasn't a huge money spinner. It also has a really strong market now, we live in a post Braid world where lots of esoteric titles are being made. The whole besmirching of this game because Brutal Legend blah blah seems mindless to me. Brutal Legend was really their first big game in a long time and its development cycle was arrested a couple of times as it passed from Activison to seeming oblivion and then on to EA.. Double Fine make lots of different types of games and they've really found their footing now, so I'm pretty sure not only could they make a fine Psychonauts sequel but they could also create many SP narrative based games into the future. They probably won't because they make more money from shorter development cycles but to say that Tim and the guys can't make a good SP game like Psychonauts is beyond silly.

Braid was a downloadable 2D platformer with sprites and no voice acting. Big difference in development costs and distribution from something like Psychonauts.

Saying that it has a strong market is quite a stretch. scratch that, it's completely not true. otherwise someone would already have made a sequel then trilogy then quadrilogy or whatever. A strong market is something like COD, where every iteration makes a profit, and where if activision decided to stop making COD games, publishers would be lined up around the block to buy the rights to the franchise.

The question is not whether or not they CAN make a good sequel or a good SP game, they question is whether they will lose money or make money doing it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Sooty said:

As long as they don't be retarded like the publishers of Enslaved and Rayman it would likely sell quite well.

(by the above I mean, don't release your poorly marketed game amongst Call of Duty, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, FIFA and so on)

Exactly. I bet as a summer release it could do extremely well.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Andorski

I enjoyed Psychonauts, but those claiming that the game was absolutely amazing are wearing rose tinted glasses that deflects the glaringly average platforming the game had. Also, the meat circus was a fucking travesty.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By falling_fast

the original psychonauts is one of my favourite games of all time. I don't know that it needs a sequel, though.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Klei
    @ProfessorEss said:

@phrali said:

Pre-Brutal Legend I think Psychonauts 2 may have a had a pretty good chance. Unfortunately I think a lot curious fence-sitters and people wondering "So what's the big deal about these guys?" were turned off when they tried to answer this question with Brutal Legend and wouldn't bother taking a chance with Psychonauts now. Maybe some of this has been quashed by the quality of their downloadable releases but I'm not convinced it would do all that well either.

(To be clear, I really enjoyed Brutal Legend but I'll be the first to admit it's a tough game to try and defend)

I don't think it's a tough game to defend. I love Brutal Legend. It's different, clever, funny, bold, and completely fucking awesome. People didn't like it because they didn't like the tower defense elements to the game. Sure, call it a RTS if you want, but it really is a tower defense.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @phrali said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@phrali said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@phrali said:

Psychonauts didn't flop actually, it just wasn't a huge money spinner. It also has a really strong market now, we live in a post Braid world where lots of esoteric titles are being made. The whole besmirching of this game because Brutal Legend blah blah seems mindless to me. Brutal Legend was really their first big game in a long time and its development cycle was arrested a couple of times as it passed from Activison to seeming oblivion and then on to EA.. Double Fine make lots of different types of games and they've really found their footing now, so I'm pretty sure not only could they make a fine Psychonauts sequel but they could also create many SP narrative based games into the future. They probably won't because they make more money from shorter development cycles but to say that Tim and the guys can't make a good SP game like Psychonauts is beyond silly.

Braid was a downloadable 2D platformer with sprites and no voice acting. Big difference in development costs and distribution from something like Psychonauts.

Saying that it has a strong market is quite a stretch. scratch that, it's completely not true. otherwise someone would already have made a sequel then trilogy then quadrilogy or whatever. A strong market is something like COD, where every iteration makes a profit, and where if activision decided to stop making COD games, publishers would be lined up around the block to buy the rights to the franchise.

The question is not whether or not they CAN make a good sequel or a good SP game, they question is whether they will lose money or make money doing it.

Wow, talk about taking my wording to the ultimate extremes and cherry picking phrases to suit your argument.   I never compared Braid's budget or scale to that of Psychonauts, I said 'post' Braid which you ignored.  By saying post Braid I'm illustrating that esoteric games now have a market and that market can exist across multiple platforms to a varied audience.  This is because games have reached critical mass.  Critical mass develops varied markets which are all reasonably self sufficient and we've seen that happen in music and movies and now it's really happened in games where before there were 5-8 genres and now there are many more times that with each of them filling their respective niches comfortably and each having its own market 'hero'.  Games like Terraria, Magicka and of course Minecraft are clear indications of that reality, just the F2P MMO model and Facebook models are too, so yes the relevance of Braid's multiplatform success is relevant and its budget probably isn't which is why I didn't mention it.   Esoteric games do indeed have a strong market.

The other thing you mentioned about COD isn't all that relevant because COD isn't a reflection of a strong market, it's an UBERMARKET on its own being almost as large in terms of sales as its competitors collectively, it stands well beyond the reach of other leaders in the same genre.  There aren't many examples of this but I can think of a few which rival it in terms of scale and they would be; The Sims and of course WoW.  These products are once again distinct reflections of the games market reaching critical mass and in no way prove that other products which don't have audiences of the same scale aren't survival or profitable in their own right.   

There's no question that a Psychonauts game would sell; the original sells and every recent DF game has sold too, even Brutal Legend despite its chequered development process.  That's not the question at all, the question is will they bother to interrupt their highly profitable short dev cycles to make something a lot larger and that's why the big bag of money was mentioned because if they do interrupt said cycles they want to make sure it doesn't affect the current bottom line.  They're not scared of the long term risk but rather the short term upset.
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dagbiker

@Andorski said:

I enjoyed Psychonauts, but those claiming that the game was absolutely amazing are wearing rose tinted glasses that deflects the glaringly average platforming the game had. Also, the meat circus was a fucking travesty.

The game was a 3d platformer it was fairly liner, but it was fun, it was funny, and it was one of the absolutely amazing things i have, perhaps not played, but experienced, in my gaming life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Dagbiker said:

@phrali said:

I think its more then 50 people but i agree, that it is a big risk seeing as how psychonauts sold. And I would want a full Psychhonauts game not a downloadable game.

I feel like Psychonaut's popularity now would make the sequel sell very well. It's hard to explain but think of it like The Original Star Trek series to The Next Generation.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic

If Psychonauts 2 was to be made, do you think it'd be true to the original game in humor, level design and story narration?

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AssInAss

Maybe we need more of those philanthropists who donated to get the PC versions of Stacking possible? Who was that dude again?

No Caption Provided

Ah, found him. Steven Dengler.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Cirdain

@AssInAss said:

Maybe we need more of those philanthropists who donated to get the PC versions of Stacking possible? Who was that dude again?

No Caption Provided

Ah, found him. Steven Dengler.

Big Up to Dengler!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.