Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

Game runs horribly for me

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Not sure exactly what the deal is with this game and my computer. I've got a pretty decent setup (i7 6600k, GTX970, 16gb RAM, SSD) but this thing runs in the single digits and I get horrible audio stuttering. I've looked up some solutions and tried them, not sure if I did it right, but nothing has helped so far. And the people posting these solutions are complaining that they're only getting like 30-40 fps, so I don't think it's the same issue anyway...

Anybody else having similar issues?

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By void

I searched the steam forums and found someone with a similar problem. His/her suggestion was doing a clean reinstall of the video driver and the game. Not sure why that would work (especially if other games work fine) but might be worth a shot.

kylekrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

At first I was having some serious issues. Like the loading screen never going away and starting dead on the island. Latest patch seems to have fixed that.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

The audio goes to krap sometimes for me too, i'm on an i5 and 980, 16gb and an SSD but most of the hitches I see are due to lag rather than frames being lost. Does reducing settings help at all?

Brakara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have 70+ fps with a GTX 980 (on an i7, 32GB, HDD) using the tweaks here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/642qbm/ultimate_tweak_guide/?st=j1gpconk&sh=0358e300

I did not tweak launch options or anything else though, just messed with the in-game settings.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WynnDuffy

@brakara said:

I have 70+ fps with a GTX 980 (on an i7, 32GB, HDD) using the tweaks here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/642qbm/ultimate_tweak_guide/?st=j1gpconk&sh=0358e300

I did not tweak launch options or anything else though, just messed with the in-game settings.

That post is outdated, the foliage was adjusted so you can't use it on low to see people easier anymore

Brakara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Brakara

@wynnduffy: The performance tweaks are not outdated though. I'm just saying I get 70+ fps with these tweaks.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My experience with only slightly higher specs is that setting everything to low except textures sorts out any frame rate issues, i haven't looked at any numbers but it's above 60 at all times, but that's the case for 90% of people regardless of specs, it sounds like there's a specific issue causing the problems you have.

Lumbermancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a wild idea, the lower your graphical settings, the more CPU-bound the game becomes using your GPU less. I have 6600, which is worse than your i7's, and 1060 which is slightly better than 970, and marginally if at all than 980.

I'm running at 60-100 fps comfortably, except maybe largest cities when it can dip below 60.

My settings are, from top to bottom: Ultra, Ultra, V.Low, High, Low, Very Low, Low. No other fancy command settings.

knuckleberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yah, tweaking definitely got me performance without too much of a graphical hit,i just wish the game didn't wait till i was in the top 25 before crashing.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have dual 770s and i know they arent great but they run many other games of far higher quality no problem, this game however seems to drift between single digit FPS and about 45, so i think the FPS issue is more on the developer side needing better optimization.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

i'm running R9 390 fx8320 and 16 gb ram and averaging 30-40 fps with the game on the default high/ultra settings. it does chug at times down into the 20's so i'll have to try some of these setting tweaks. Thanks for the posts duders!

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By matatat

@thekramer89: You basically have the same specs as my PC and I have not had any of those issues. The game isn't well optimized but it sounds like you're having particular issues with it. Maybe update your drivers? I'm assuming that was probably on the list of things to try. I dunno if it would be worth reinstalling. I had the game on ultra for a while, but the increase in graphics versus the framerate drops I was experiencing wasn't worth it to me so I just run on high and I think it's alright.

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sooooo... nothing has worked for me yet. Unistalled/reinstalled the game and video drivers and it's still sucking. I have a feeling it's not recognizing my video card and it's running off of the processor. I was able to run it on very-low 720p, and I got about 10-12 fps (maybe). I was actually able to get 3 kills in that one game (total skill, no luck) and it felt amazing... This game is just fucking with me...

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By void

@thekramer89: I don't think the game would work at all if it wasn't using the GPU with how modern graphics drivers and API:s work. Or the game would have to implement it's own software renderer as a fallback, which is very unlikely since it's built on UE4. More likely something is causing your CPU to stall and the GPU just sits there idling with nothing to do most of the time.

Since you mentioned audio stuttering, try reinstall or updating the audio drivers?

Also it could be interesting to monitor the CPU and GPU usage during the game, to see where the bottle neck is. Using something like GPU-Z, HWinfo, MSI afterburner, etc. My bet would be on the CPU due to some issues with drivers, memory/storage access, anti-virus or other background processes messing with the game.

But if you have no other issues with any other game this is pretty puzzling to me. How can the same computer specs on another machine work just fine with the same game? And the computer with issues work just fine with all other games. Interesting problem, though. Please update this thread if you ever find the cause for it.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you tried starting then stopping a youtube video while in game? Maybe your gpu is underclocking and needs a push.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a wild idea, the lower your graphical settings, the more CPU-bound the game becomes using your GPU less. I have 6600, which is worse than your i7's, and 1060 which is slightly better than 970, and marginally if at all than 980.

I'm running at 60-100 fps comfortably, except maybe largest cities when it can dip below 60.

My settings are, from top to bottom: Ultra, Ultra, V.Low, High, Low, Very Low, Low. No other fancy command settings.

Settings were able to get me into the 55~60 range from 35-40. I'm hoping with all the $$$ they can actually optimize this game into something playable. It's a little demoralizing to have a 1080/6800k on a M2 for storage and have to fight for sub-60 frames.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I had a similar rig as yours (i7 4770k CPU though) and was able to get around 45 FPS with everything around medium settings (some high). I recently upgraded to a 1070 and can run it 80FPS with everything on high.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game hits the disk pretty hard. I used Resource Monitor and found that my pagefile.sys was being hit at the same time that the game files were being accessed. The solution for me was to move the game to a different drive, which reminded me to move pagefile.sys to an SSD.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By simian

Mileage may very but if you set '-refresh XXX' on the properties with XXX matching your monitor refresh (mine is 144) you may see some improvements. I'm sitting around 70~80fps now.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.