Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Puzzle Quest 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 22, 2010

Puzzle Quest 2 is the long awaited follow up to 2007's Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords.

Oh Puzzle Quest 2...

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SpartyOn

To all who have played this game: How would you rate the AI difficulty? 

Personally I think I have to be missing something.  I'm a few hours into the game so far and now almost every enemy blocks all the damage I deal them, cutting it in half.  On top of that the extreme luck the AI from the first game had doesn't seem to have changed much.  I'm pretty good at Puzzle Quest, and I beat the first one, but man this game can get rough.  Don't get me wrong I don't think this ruins the game...in fact beating an enemy that hands it to you like 10 times in a row is pretty satisfying, especially when 7 out of the 10 times they get a cascade doing damage in the 50's during the first turn, when you only have 80something HP (true story). 

But I love the game and was wondering what you guys thought about the AI and the game in general?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

It was really hard at first, but now that I've leveled up more the regular enemies seem a lot easier to beat.  But yeah, I'm lucky if I get a row of 4 twice in a game, but an I've seen an AI guy do it like six times in one turn, and they get gigantic combos all the time too.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpartyOn
    @ArchScabby: No joke, I just fought this skeleton and it had 3 hp left...i did EXACTLY 3 damage....then a spell activated and it's HP went up to 10 and it did 40 damage in one turn and beat me.......-_-
    Strait1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By Strait1337

The Greater Challenge side quests are insane! 

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpartyOn
    @Strait1337: I haven't gotten there yet, what are they?
    Strait1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#6  Edited By Strait1337
    @davissc9: Boss quests.  One of them has a 1 hit kill spell which recharges fast.
    SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpartyOn
    @Strait1337 said:
    " @davissc9: Boss quests.  One of them has a 1 hit kill spell which recharges fast. "
    haha gotta love Puzzle Quest
    n11n12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By n11n12

Which version are you playing? I've got it for the DS and it doesn't seem to have that issue, or at least as suspiciously often as before.

Overall, compared to the first, this seems like one step forward, two steps back. The actual match-3 gameplay has greatly improved, what with the actual use of inventory, greater variety of mini-games, greater balance and all (seriously, in the first game, choose a knight, buy an unholy lance, put half your points into green mana and attack, and you've pretty much won the game). 

But everything surrounding that main element faltered. Moving through towns and dungeons feels extremely sluggish and unnecessary , the whole silent protagonist cliche draws me out of the story completely, and certain expanded side elements like seigeing cities, capturing and training mounts, learning spells, and companions seem to have been taken out completely. Overall, the sense of scale from the first game has been seriously cut back. (Of course, I'm not that far into the game, so if anyone can correct me on this, that would be great.)

Still, those issues are minor and don't make this game not freakin' awesome and worth every dollar I spent on it. Hell, I bought a DS only last month for this one game, and even that was totally justified.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpartyOn
    @n11n12: Right now i'm playing it on my xbox, but I just bought a DS the other day.  Would you call the AI balanced on the DS version?
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I'm not too far into it yet, but I finished the beginning part of the main quest in the town, which didn't really give me any trouble. Now that I'm getting into side-quests, the true nature of the AI has revealed itself. Yes, it still cheats like a motherfucker. It still appears that it somehow manages to see gems before they are visible on the board and uses that to its advantage, creating ridiculous combo chains and dealing massive damage while you sit there, helpless. That's nothing new, really, except now it does that in normal mode, unlike the first game where it usually did it on Hard. However, certain monsters have the tendency to use stupidly unfair combos of attacks and spells more than they did in the first game. I can definitely see how some issues I have with the AI could be solved simply by leveling up, but at the end of the day, Puzzle Quest still has cheating AI and it DOES piss me off quite a bit. That did not stop me from loving the original, and it certainly won't stop me from loving this one.

I do have other problems with the game that lie in the developer's choices of game design, mainly in world traversal and the sense of scale, but they have made changes I enjoy, as well, and I cannot wait to get into more of this game.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpartyOn

Totally agree...it's the same puzzle quest AI oddities where you're amazing runs are few and far between and seem to be based on luck, while the AI does it consistently.  Frustrating, but satisfying when it all works out.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

Fighting the Yeti on the 360 version is really pissing me off now.  He has double my hit points, he can block most attacks, blue gems heal him for massive amounts, he can cast a spell that fills the screen with blue gems which gives him more turns then he can use that spell over again and fill up his health completely.  He even has a 1 hit kill attack.

WTF, this is worse than the first game!

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpartyOn
    @Diamond: I was wondering if it was just me dude, but the AI in this game seems to get "lucky" waaaayyyy more often than the first
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By TwoLines

They're blocking it cause they have high defence.
    If I want to deal some nice damage with my barbarian, I use a defence debuff first.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
    deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had any problems playing as an Assassin on Normal Difficulty. 

if the enemies are too strong then do a different quest and come back as a higher level, like you would in any rpg.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss

I play as an Assassin and I am not having too much trouble....I beat the Yeti while playing on Normal.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Diamond
    @BergDK said:

if the enemies are too strong then do a different quest and come back as a higher level, like you would in any rpg.

Is there a way to tell enemy levels in the XBLA version?  DS version tells you but it seemed the enemies were always my level.
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoLines
    @Diamond said:
    " @BergDK said:

Is there a way to tell enemy levels in the XBLA version?  DS version tells you but it seemed the enemies were always my level. "
    Never noticed anything like that on the XBLA version, but yeah, they seem like they're always the same level looking at the life bar.
    Although their spells and items stay weak, so killing a Goblin now is really easy, an I'm playing on hard.

And killing that yeti took me only two tries as a barbarian, it's pretty simple if you have good spells.
    SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SpartyOn
    It kinda seems like they intend for you to die often earlier on so that you level up enough to handle the way the AI works.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cincaid
    @Diamond said:

" @BergDK said:

Is there a way to tell enemy levels in the XBLA version?  DS version tells you but it seemed the enemies were always my level. "

The enemies are always the same level as you are. You can highlight their portrait and press Y to watch their stats.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
    deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CrazyChris:

Fair enough.... You will have much better equipment and spells though at higher level...

edit: Having just played some more, I found myself fighting level 15 enemies with my level 28 assassin, so it doesn't scale up to your level atleast.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By fox01313

Played it for a while & really really liking the assassin, though there are some AI fights where the opponent just spams whatever weapon they have constantly. The XP for losing seems to be a bit better this time so even if you lose it's not much to worry over.

silentghost227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By silentghost227

I haven't had any problems playing as an assassin on normal except the greater challenge - ogre took some tries.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#24  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I've had a little trouble with a few random characters (mostly undead creatures), but when I started getting into the upgrades, I had less and less trouble.  Not that I'm particularly good or anything - it's mostly still just luck for my victories, but I'm getting there.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By audiosnag

I've noticed the AI gets some pretty ridiculous cascades that make me wanna hurl my DS but overall it hasn't been too bad. Specially now that i've got a defence debuff for my assassin. I usually hit em with that followed by either stealth or disarm which doubles any strike spells.  
    Works wonders. But yeah that yeti's a bitch with his one hit kill spell.

ZeroKelvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZeroKelvin
    @CrazyChris said: 
     The enemies are always the same level as you are. You can highlight their portrait and press Y to watch their stats. "  

Yes, enemies (at least some) certainly change stats in the game.  One side quest was kicking my ass (it had 300 hp, 3 skulls dealt me 22 damage, and it had an attack of maybe 50 damage...) so I left to level and retry.  I came back and it now had more hit points (up to 340), and still kicked my ass.  One more trip to level and it had even more (360), though I finally managed to win by actively taking away skull and action point opportunities for the AI.  The win was sweet and ultimately worth the effort.
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoLines
    @ZeroKelvin said:
    " @CrazyChris said: 
     The enemies are always the same level as you are. You can highlight their portrait and press Y to watch their stats. "  
     Yes, enemies (at least some) certainly change stats in the game.  One side quest was kicking my ass (it had 300 hp, 3 skulls dealt me 22 damage, and it had an attack of maybe 50 damage...) so I left to level and retry.  I came back and it now had more hit points (up to 340), and still kicked my ass.  One more trip to level and it had even more (360), though I finally managed to win by actively taking away skull and action point opportunities for the AI.  The win was sweet and ultimately worth the effort. "
    Go to the first level of the dungeon, the enemy levels and stats will be way lower.
    Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spence_5060

I haven't  played it yet but really I don't care too much on the difficulty. Just from seeing the new layout of the game world and features making me so excited for it that I would buy it the first day it goes on any kind of sale on XBLA.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TwoLines

The assassin class is overpowered.
    I met an assassin that was 4 levels lower than me, and he destroyed me.
    I couldn't even hit him. Ehh...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Unknown_Pleasures:  Same I play assassin didnt really have any trouble on the yeti on normal I did it right when I got the quest at like level 5 or 6, but man I am playing right now, and I have so much trouble with regular goblins, they just blow into with their short swords and Slink.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32  Edited By granderojo

I started as a Barbarian, sucked ass against the enemies then I rerolled as an assassin and now I roll through most enemies. Sometimes I run into 1 that will just get lucky against me over and over again which sucks.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gilsham

from reading this and playing assassin it seams that the class is pretty OP (think about starting a templar), I've been pumping my moral which means I resist abilities quite a bit and have green, red, and yellow strikes with disarm and stealth which depending on how many purples etc are on the board I can use all three strikes in one turn each doing 30ish dmg, don't normal bother getting 3 normal skulls since I've also crafted a 1h axe to legendary which is 7 fists for 16dmg, also the mana pots are so good I currently have a red one that is 5 fists for 7 red mana. 

Also there is learning spells but it is just quests from random goblins in the dungeons so far

monster9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By monster9999

Ya the whole game has alot of lolz in it but is still great in my mind

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By mostman

Playing as a Templar.  I can pretty much wreck most opponents - it just takes a LONG time.  For those not familiar, the Templar is basically a tank.  If I have my spells and kit setup correctly, its really hard to hurt my guy.  However, my guy inflicts very little damage.  So I basically just sit there and whittle my opponents down to dust.  In PQ1 I played as a Sorcerer and had a handful of offensive spells that would just obliterate in 5 turns.  I figured I needed a change of pace this time :)

Turduken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By Turduken

I was having fun until I got to the last boss.  Nothing but cheapness.   Green dragon fight was hard but fair.  Last boss is all about wasting your time, 60% spell resist, insta-win spell (eat red mana before she does), 100+ non-crit melee... It's too much.  The fight is possible, but incredibly frustrating.   Less about skill, more about luck with the resists.

I've never rage-quit a puzzle game before tonight.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By ajamafalous

This sounds just like the first Puzzle Quest, unfortunately.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I have also run into this problem. I didn't play the first game but some of the enemies in this game pull out the most ludicrous combos. I was just facing some skeleton with a spell that would let him summon one skull onto the board and of course he managed to a 5 damage skull right in between two other 5 damage spells causing a total of 15 damage followed by a cascade that resulted in multiple combos of 4 blocks or more. It honestly feels like this game hates me.

Slaneesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Slaneesh

Im playing as the Sorceres now which seems to be the hardest class for me atleast. I havent experienced the Ai "Magic comboes" much. Maybe im just lucky, but i think if you study the board a bit you can prevent many of the Ai´s 5 - 6 comboes

Phototropic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Phototropic

The special monster side quests can be tough, but the regular enemies haven't been a challenge since level 10-15.  I'm around 43 now.  Game is fun in bursts but is becoming quite the grind.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I finished it last week. The game got progressively less fun and interesting as it went on. Some quests took forever simply because you just keep entering hallways or rooms full of dudes that you are forced to fight, and even worse, some fights drag on for way too long because enemies love to block all your attacks, even when they have almost no defense. And yeah, the game wasn't hard at all after the first few hours, except for the Greater Challenge bosses. I have to say though...killing that Green Dragon was pretty satisfying and turned out to be a fairly intense battle. Unfortunately you don't really get any sort of in-game reward for it. 

I was disappointed in the story. Not that PQ1's story was particularly good, but just the sense of scale you got from traveling over this huge world map to all these different places and talking to all these different races of creatures gave it a big epic feel. PQ2 has you in one town and crawling through a few tedious dungeons on a series of fetch quests that couldn't be any less interesting if they tried. The character interaction might as well be non-existent, as well, since all the dialogue sections are brief, and few and far between.  While the main quest takes awhile to complete, that's only for the reasons I stated above, and it's not till it's over that you realize that barely anything happens in the story. I was really surprised when I reached the end; it seemed like it came out of nowhere. I enjoyed myself and definitely got my $15 worth out of the game, but once again, the developers went ahead and changed things that should've been left alone, and the game ends up suffering for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.