Quantum Break at Gamescom

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ArtisanBreads  Online

Just wanted to make a thread to discuss the game's showing at the press conference and hopefully more coverage to come after.

First, seems like they recast it? I know they hadn't shown much before but it seems like Shawn Ashmore replaced the actor they had as the lead before. Also like the other casting in there of Aiden Gillen and Lance Reddick. Gillen will make a good villain.

Second, the gameplay finally is clicking for me and looking great. I thought it looked kind of boring before but, even though I didn't get all what was happening, it was looking very dynamic in the footage they showed. Looks like there will be enough to make it stand out from other cover based shooters.

Third, good to finally see a bit of the TV show to see that coming along. Looks pretty well directed and still love the idea of the two working together to tell a story.

Last, man the graphics! This game is beautiful. The effects for the time bubbles and your moves, plus then what was going on with the story in the warehouse (seeing that whole contraption get built over time) was so fantastic looking. Can't undersell how cool looking all the time distortion effects are.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 14

I don't own an XB1 but it's this game and Tomb Raider that have me interested - even though Tomb Raider is coming out elsewhere in a year. I like third person shooters with fun gimmicks so sign me up. I was hoping this conference would really push me over the edge into buying an XB1 this christmas when some good deals or bundles came out but I honestly didn't come away from it particularly convinced one way or the other. Scalebound was a big unknown to me and likewise I don't know what to think of it. The other exclusives I don't really care about too much. I enjoyed Crackdown a lot but it's not something I have to play.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I have not cared for any XBox exclusives at this point (and the remaining of this year), but 2016 is starting to look real good for Microsoft I must say! Quantum Break and Scalebound both look like incredible games.

I hope it's more then just a 'cover shooter', but the presentation is already pretty awesome. Games are starting to look scary real..

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Lost_Remnant

Remedy has always struck a chord with me, so I'm pretty excited for this game. I generally prefer a solid third person shooter (cover or not) over a first person one and this game looks like it has enough going on game wise to carry me through to the story bits. Really excited to see where the story goes in this thing, should be a good time.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game looks incredibly boring, and generic to me. Shame I had some interest since I enjoy Remedies work.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@dussck said:

I have not cared for any XBox exclusives at this point (and the remaining of this year), but 2016 is starting to look real good for Microsoft I must say! Quantum Break and Scalebound both look like incredible games.

I hope it's more then just a 'cover shooter', but the presentation is already pretty awesome. Games are starting to look scary real..

All Units have been selected for 2016. I actually really liked what they showed out of Quantum Break. It was nice to see that it was an actual video game and I really liked the look of it. Sure it might be a generic third person somewhat cover based shooter but the fluidity at which they were getting around the battlefield looked super fun.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads  Online

I don't own an Xbox either but big fan of Remedy and Max Payne so I've been keeping an eye out for this. If it was up to me I'd just stick with my PC, but we will see how all these games shake out. I really liked what I saw of the other exclusives too. Scalebound reminds me of Dragon's Dogma. And Crackdown was confusing about its destruction capabilities but what they did show looked great.

Quantum Break I was worried about for a bit but now I am back to being very excited.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

As someone who likes himself some third-person shooters, this looks like a pretty fun one of those. The incredibly striking visuals certainly help, too.

Good cast list as well. Sucks for whoever the original guy was who played the protagonist; had his face mo-capped and everything, so it's clear he wasn't to be some placeholder. Though I wonder if he's actually still in the game as a different Jack Joyce or something, because time travel sci-fi shenanigans ect.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArtisanBreads  Online

@yummylee said:

As someone who likes himself some third-person shooters, this looks like a pretty fun one of those. The incredibly striking visuals certainly help, too.

Good cast list as well. Sucks for whoever the original guy was who played the protagonist; had his face mo-capped and everything, so it's clear he wasn't to be some placeholder. Though I wonder if he's actually still in the game as a different Jack Joyce or something, because time travel sci-fi shenanigans ect.

I'm curious about this as well. Maybe it was placeholder or maybe they just reshot a lot of it? The game has been under development for a long time. Maybe things changed or maybe it was hard to tie down actors for that long through development.

They showed a female main character Beth as well before who now will be played by an actress named Courtney Hope (I love that it just says Quantum Break as a TV show on her page). She tweeted she has been working on the project for the last two years.

Here's some old footage by the way to compare the main characters at least:

Loading Video...

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remedy always has cool a mechanic which they fail to develop so far QB looks no different, but it looks really cool just like Max Payne the tv part will probably be better than the game.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ArtisanBreads  Online

So IGN has a good interview. Not a ton of new details if you're keeping up with the game, but the one big one is Sam Lake says the episodes of the show are about 22 minutes. So it is not FMV cutscenes like some have been saying now but still a show alongside the game (if both still are on the same disc). The show will still follow the villains as originally planned.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.