Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Quantum Break

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Apr 05, 2016

A third-person shooter from the studio behind Max Payne and Alan Wake, with heavy time-travel and time-manipulation themes.

Quantum Break is Releasing on Xbox and Windows 10 on April 5th

• 70 results
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ArtisanBreads

They just announced today that the game is coming to Windows 10 now (YES). I haven't upgraded to 10 yet but will at least for this. 10 Seems fine I just haven't really felt the need to yet.

Also a cool bit is you get the Windows 10 version free if you pre-order on Xbox One. You also get the two Alan Wake games as a bonus as well for pre-ordering.

Really excited for this one. We haven't seen a ton but I trust Remedy with writing and narrative so I am very excited for the TV/Game split. Very happy I can just play on my PC now. To me it kind of seems like they are trying to get PC players to buy it on Xbox One if they have an Xbox One with that deal to keep the sales high there while getting the market for PC as well as their console. I think they're maybe afraid the game won't do as well just there. Not sure how Xbox One exclusives are selling exactly.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Awesome. Quantum Break was really the only Xbox exclusive I was disappointed about not being able to play.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Awesome. Quantum Break was really the only Xbox exclusive I was disappointed about not being able to play.

Yup, glad to hear it's coming to PC as well.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Shit, I'm buying the Xbox One version, AND THEN replaying it on PC immediately after. Also guys, it's a Windows(10) exclusive. No info on Steam yet.

In addition, look at these fucking specs. Being one of the first Direct x12 native games, and being as intensely effects heavy as it seems to be, I'm not too surprised.

No Caption Provided

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArtisanBreads

There's also a preview on Gamespot that is worth reading, specifically about the combat part of the game. The bullet points:

• He doesn't love the shooter aspect of the game itself but seems to say its fine. He enjoys using the powers, which work on cooldowns.
    • The enemies are very aggressive and very coordinated. The pin you down, flank, use grenades.
    • Because the enemies are so difficult and so aggressive, the powers become useful as means of survival. Other times they are just about raw power as you would expect but it sounds like you will need them to escape the enemy which sounds great. He says each fight can be very intense.

I hope I like the feel of the shooting (something I find sometimes very subjective, more than you would think), but the rest sounds really strong. I didn't expect super aggressive enemies. Sounds like the feeling FEAR might have given you back in the day but modernized with all the time powers on top.

@deranged_midget: Yeah those are rough man. Sad to see myself solidly in the minimum category.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: I feel the shooting will come down to preference. Looks very similar to Max Payne trilogy (even if Rockstar developed the third) and Alan Wake. Thankfully, I loved the controls in those games.

Yeah, looks I'll be needing to upgrade my GPU :(

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Shivoa

Wondering if this is a Windows 10 Store exclusive (timed or forever) or not. That xbox app seems basically functional but stuff like opening the achievements is shockingly slow for what is presumably just opening a call to a website to lead the page for my profile. Plus Steam just seems an easier ecosystem (I record my footage with a 20 minute window and good, hardware-accelerated 1080p h264 output via the nVidia driver so I don't need a Windows overlay doing it, everything else like screenshots and viewing achievement progress seems at least comparable with Steam and there's the inertia of my familiarity with it). I'm also not quite over how badly the previous Games for Windows integrations (1.0 and 2.0 GfW Live) worked out so won't be leaping to embrace GfW 3.0, which seems to be what the Win10 Store/xbox app ecosystem is - just without automatically importing all my purchases from the earlier versions of the store - most of which have had to jump ship and be patched to be SteamPowered (thanks to publishers who realised ongoing sales made it worthwhile doing that and not screwing over us existing customers).

Not to say I'll never get a game on Win10 Store (Hell, I own a few from the Win8 Store purchased with free credits and got my Minecraft code) but it would be nice if this was like titles like Rise of the Tomb Raider and released both as SteamPowered and Windows10 variants. Give us some choice in which achievement/overlay ecosystem we hooked into.

But as a long time PC-first fan of Remedy, I'm really glad this gets a same-day PC release.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Microsoft is moving ever closer to relegating Xbox One to a games platform inside of Win10.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think this is a wonderful news and another clue as to what the future of Xbox as a plateform and not only a console is going to be. These are the right moves I've been wanting for years from Microsoft. I'll buy it on Xbox one since my PC is not powerful enough. But when I upgrade my PC...the game will be there. This is pretty much fantastic. Also...Alan Wake man.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: that seems crazy as recommended is usually 1080p 60fps. Seems like dx12 might not be all that great imo as its supposed to make effects work better on cpu but if you need a 980ti for 1080 it must be having some issues with that.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: that seems crazy as recommended is usually 1080p 60fps. Seems like dx12 might not be all that great imo as its supposed to make effects work better on cpu but if you need a 980ti for 1080 it must be having some issues with that.

I'm feeling this might be the first of it's kind to be a recommended push for 4K.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Fuuuuuck me. I need a full upgrade for this.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Great news about the W10 version. I just hope my i5-2400 is enough for this game.

The closed ecosystem of the Windows Store is a bummer but pretty much every PC game I'm really looking forward to is a MS IP. I hope that it has some benefits like keeping the cross-play games completely cheat-free as well.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It is always interesting when games that were used to "sell the system" or just even sell "next generation" are released. This year will have this and The Division, which if I'm right are teh last tow promised games.

Were there other 'speculative next gen" games that were shown in 2012/2013 that have never come? This generation has been pretty good about putting out the games shown, last gen had a ton of games that really never made it out of demo reel.

I really want to see what Quantum Break has become, and what people think of it. Will it meet up with the ideas that had of in in 2013?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't Pre-ordered a game since Halo 3. However, getting a free PC copy and Alan Wake kinda makes me want too....

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:

I'm feeling this might be the first of it's kind to be a recommended push for 4K.

That would be pretty cool actually, but i doubt it since 4k is still far from being the norm and i'm sure microsoft is trying to push as many to windows 10 and/or xbox one as possible.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of this is awesome. The crossbuy aspect, coming to PC, coming with Alan Wake. I'm still gonna pick it up on Xbox cause my PC is getting a little long in the tooth but good on MS for making some good moves. Phil Spencer doin work.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems my r9 290 can cut it but I wonder how well. Getting a 980 when I only upgraded near a year and a half ago seems really dumb, but rrrgh...

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems my r9 290 can cut it but I wonder how well. Getting a 980 when I only upgraded near a year and a half ago seems really dumb, but rrrgh...

980ti. There's like a 150 dollar difference between the two.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Pretty much a must-wait scenario right now. The FinFET (finally a new generation of GPUs on the smaller transistor tech that CPUs/SSDs/even mobile have been shrunk to for a while) generation of GPUs is coming. The high-bandwidth memory that market the Fury cards from AMD is getting another revision (high end almost certainly upgrades from 4GB to 8GB of the stuff, it's even faster in HBM2, and it's still using less power than GDDR5) that is ready now. And even the mid-range cards are going to get better VRAM by the end of this year (so not the upcoming generation that is expected in the Spring/Summer but maybe a mid-generation refresh in Winter) as GDDR5X arrives to give more bandwidth for the same power cost so making a very clear mid-tier upgrade path (maybe the very low end stick with DDR3 but possibly that goes away entirely leaving GDDR5 - GDDR5X - HBM2 and the tiers of VRAM).

The R9 290 is a bit of an evolutionary dead end (that heat - it's the very end of the original GCN roadmap where efficiency was not exactly the most important feature AMD needed to hit vs old nVidia GPU monster designs) but it's still a good card. It should definitely be more than enough to last you at least until that purchase is 2+ years old and you can jump into the generation of cards that's coming soon. I wouldn't jump to a 980Ti just yet, even if you want more than your current card can offer.

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget said:
    @oursin_360 said:

That would be pretty cool actually, but i doubt it since 4k is still far from being the norm and i'm sure microsoft is trying to push as many to windows 10 and/or xbox one as possible.

I agree, it is extremely far from the norm, but it's definitely risen a lot quicker than the transition from 720 to 1080 IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

No offense but what is the point of owning a Xbox One if exclusive games are going to be on PC?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@bartok: There are people that only game on consoles, for them it's still an XB1 exclusive.

Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok: An OK gaming machine is 1000$. An Xbox one is 350$. I personnaly am a gamer. I game "alot". But don't have the financial means to change my computer every 4-5 years. So for me...and lot's of families that have kids, a console is a perfect low cost solution for an OK gaming machine that serves as a multimedia device too.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa: yeah I was going to hold off regardless just frustrating that this card may not last me as long this time round. It was definitely an improvement at the time, just had false hopes I was going to be able to push everything to 60fps at max settings.

@e30bmw: I already have had the card for about a year and a half, and when I purchased it i was looking for best bang for the buck. (though I guess I failed there in the end too)

Psygnosis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Psygnosis911

@nashvilleskyline: While consoles are a great option, and are usually a smaller initial investment, you are overstating the cost of a PC that plays games. An OK gaming PC is ~$750 a very good machine is ~$1000 . A gaming PC is also a regular computer at the same time, so unless you do all of your productivity and other computing on a phone, you can subtract the cost of that $400 non-gaming PC you didn't buy. You also don't need to replace everything every few years, you might want to swap out a $200 worth of parts every three or four years or so. The big advantage is that consoles require a lot less effort and research, when it comes to purchases and set up.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OurSin_360

I think people tend to misinterpret what pc gamers call an "ok" gaming machine. A 500-1000$ pc built around gaming will trump a console any time of the week. People (like me lol) get 980's etc to get max settings 60fps at 1080p, but gaming with a 150-200$(980 is over 500$, 970 is over 350$) graphics card can probably get you 40-50fps (sometimes 60) at medium to even MOSTLY high settings. A console will probably get you 30(with probable dips) at LOW settings at 1080 or even 900p, which is a HUGE difference.

Now IMO consoles are fine, i still game on my ps4 and since games are typically built around fps caps (motion blur etc) i think typically when a game runs at smooth 30 it feels fine to me(on console on pc i notice it like crazy). But a dip below that is a lot more noticable than a dip below 60 for me. For a family i think the lower end console is probably the best deal especially at the lowered price points now, but you'll definitely get better performance from a mid tier pc.

Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psygnosis911: A gaming computer that will last more than 3 years and really take advantage of the upfront investment is at least 1000$ (I've been there). Add another 60$ for a controller ( I prefer controllers). Also add a good monitor every 5 years. Then, since I've been cable less for the last 10 years, I need another box in my living room that will play Netflix, stream events, play music, youtube and rent movies. The good options in that department are in the price range of 100 to 250$, with close to zero abilities to play games or controller support. Yes, ultimately, I could buy a PC that does all that and plug it in my TV (Vinny style) but the multimedia integration of the new generation of consoles coupled with the more than OK gaming performances for a 3rd of the cost and the simplicity of it all cannot be beat at the moment. No matter how much I love my PC, it will always be more expansive, more complicated and experience I don't want to live with in my living room....or even to play games for that matter. Unlessssssss Microsoft decides to Double down and design an Xbox PC that would work as a living room console and a full integrated PC for a reasonnable price point...anyway... I'm getting too far of the point I'm trying to make :)

P.S. Trying to explain to a PC gamer that there are other viable options and solutions to specific needs for other people is like trying to make a cat sit when you want it to. No offense.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Yay now I can hella buy this game.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nashvilleskyline: I agree with you that $750 for an upgrade-able PC seems a little generous and the idea of only changing one component at a time is suspect when spec requirements for CPU/GPU/RAM all increase along with each other. The mobo becomes a bottleneck if you bought a cheap one(which is guaranteed with a 750 build).

Personally, I still think no multiplayer fee and humble bundle even things out somewhat.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting move. I'm still not sure what it's going to be apart from a third person shooter with Alan Wake-ish vibes and time manipulation.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Remedy hype!

There's also a preview on Gamespot that is worth reading, specifically about the combat part of the game. The bullet points:

• He doesn't love the shooter aspect of the game itself but seems to say its fine. He enjoys using the powers, which work on cooldowns.
    • The enemies are very aggressive and very coordinated. The pin you down, flank, use grenades.
    • Because the enemies are so difficult and so aggressive, the powers become useful as means of survival. Other times they are just about raw power as you would expect but it sounds like you will need them to escape the enemy which sounds great. He says each fight can be very intense.

I hope I like the feel of the shooting (something I find sometimes very subjective, more than you would think), but the rest sounds really strong. I didn't expect super aggressive enemies. Sounds like the feeling FEAR might have given you back in the day but modernized with all the time powers on top.

I know a lot of folks didn't, but I loved the combat in Alan Wake, so I'm properly excited to see what they do with going back to more straight-up gunfighting. Enemies being very aggressive and coordinated is even better. F.E.A.R. is so fucking good dude. If this can bring back that sort of combat while also being Remedy as fuck, holy shit.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, we've gotten to the point where a 980Ti isn't a luxury anymore, it's the recommended GPU. Which means this game is going to look vastly different on a high end PC versus a console.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: Alan Wake and the MP games both play great(playing MP2 right now but it's exactly the same as the first). I played Alan Wake on Hard because I heard it was too easy/short on normal and that might still be the case here, we'll see.

Psygnosis911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Psygnosis911

@nashvilleskyline: If I didn't think there are other viable options and solutions to specific needs I wouldn't have bought an xbox instead of a video card last summer. Living room PCs seem a little nuts to me, so putting a console in a living room is great, it's what I did. I'm just saying the video card I paid <$200 for in 2012 so that I could play Need for Speed Most Wanted handles a lot of games reasonably well, with only a handful of games making want to pull the trigger on replacing it, so the idea that you've got to spend a grand every few years seems a little crazy to me. That said Quantum Break getting announced for PC is pushing me closer to replacing it. I hope it turns out well. I've always liked remedy games.

Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psygnosis911: I somewhat agree with you. I really didn't intend to offend you by the way...if I did, sorry.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Justin258

Haven't we been seeing games with recommended specs that overshoot the mark by a lot? I'm going to bet my 4 year old build with a 970 in it will play this game on high settings at 1080p just fine.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Franstone

It's pretty great that they are including the PC version if you pre-order on Xbox One, saves transfer as well.
    Would be nice if this happens more often, even nicer if Ubi would do this with The Division.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really should get my 980 Ti fixed before this comes out, I've let it limp on using single BIOS for a month and a bit now...

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@deranged_midget: i upgraded my pc less than a year ago and I don't meet the recommended specs. crazy

did they mention if this was coming to steam, or is it just the Windows App Store?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still interested to see how the tv show part of it is and how well it works.

Remedy must be the last company doing big budget fairly esoteric games.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been pretty pumped to play this game and with all the bonuses on offer, I'm probably going to pre-order it on the One whenever it's up for pre-load.

The first two Max Payne games and Alan Wake are up there as some of my favorite games, I have always loved Remedy's style and writing chops. With this and Mirror's Edge coming out a month from each other, 2016 already looks to be a better year than 2015 for me in terms of being excited for new releases.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, looks like im upgrading my OS and RAM for this one.
    Good on MS for making the game available for PC users also, Remedy is known for doing quality PC games so im super confident itll work fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Surprising move by Microsoft. Wasn't expecting this but what a great idea. I was already planning on buying this but now we have an alternative platform to choose from.

I can't understand the backlash that Phil Spencer is defending on Twitter. People are upset that even more people will get to play their game? It's not like being an Xbox owner makes you a member of some exclusive club.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

Surprising move by Microsoft. Wasn't expecting this but what a great idea. I was already planning on buying this but now we have an alternative platform to choose from.

I can't understand the backlash that Phil Spencer is defending on Twitter. People are upset that even more people will get to play their game? It's not like being an Xbox owner makes you a member of some exclusive club.

Backlash from these type of announcements usually stem from this type of argument: You said, or at least heavily insinuated, that this game was genuinely exclusive which lead my to buy your console. Now I feel like I wasted money because you lied or tricked me. If you said this game will be available on PC I wouldn't have bought the console.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#46  Edited By mike

@hippie_genocide said:

Wow, we've gotten to the point where a 980Ti isn't a luxury anymore, it's the recommended GPU. Which means this game is going to look vastly different on a high end PC versus a console.

Recommended specs are often extremely inflated by both developers AND publishers. Waiting and seeing how games actually run on common cards when they come out is usually the best practice.

These published specs definitely should not be taken as an indication of how good the PC version is going to look compared to on the Xbox One.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope MS make cross buy the norm for X1 and PC, will help me out a lot not having to pick and choose one over the other plus the cloud saving helps me if I want to play in a different part of the house easier....

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By damodar

@deranged_midget said:

Shit, I'm buying the Xbox One version, AND THEN replaying it on PC immediately after. Also guys, it's a Windows(10) exclusive. No info on Steam yet.

In addition, look at these fucking specs. Being one of the first Direct x12 native games, and being as intensely effects heavy as it seems to be, I'm not too surprised.

No Caption Provided

Where did this graphic come from? Unless I missed it, I didn't see anybody in this thread addressing that the 'recommended specs' in this picture are what is actually listed as the "Ultra" specs in the announcement on Remedy's site in the link in the first post.

According to the Remedy page, the actual recommended specs are as follows:

Recommended Specs
    OSWindows 10 (64-bit)
    DirectXDirectX 12
    CPUIntel Core i5 4690, 3.9GHz or AMD equivalent
    GPUNVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 390
    VRAM4GB
    RAM16GB

Still wants a pretty powerful rig, but not the insanity of a 980ti or Fury-X being 'recommended specs'.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what I've never gotten about recent PC games and reported CPU requirements: does anyone sanity check these or do they just look at the spec of the CPU in their testing machines and write that one in the box? Do they then feel pressured to make up a range of them for the different spec despite this not really being that related to visuals (and really hard to reason when you've got variable core count and so on plus no idea if you're aiming for 60 or 30fps - very relevant to any game using variable timesteps rather than a fixed cadence, and with support for 120/144Hz monitors then you need to be thinking about that sort of thing).

I mean, what even is the "AMD equivalent" of the i5-4690? For gaming then you could (for most released games) get away with swapping in an i3 and the fps wouldn't change more than a couple of percent so the Intel spec makes no sense. But if we say they do mean you need to perf of that i5, how do you buy a AMD rig that's the equivalent? Is that even something you can buy?

I realise that question is a bit more complex when you allow overclocking (I'm sure AMD can compete if you push enough Wattage into their stuff). Hell, I'm running a 4.5GHz i5-2500K and so know that that recommended spec is fine, despite having an older CPU. Because when it ran at 3.3GHz (fully loaded) and turbo'd to 3.7GHz, my 6 year old CPU was ok, but at a flat 4.5GHz it's still somewhat competitive with modern CPUs (it just requires a bit more power and cooling to get there and some specialised tasks it can't compete with the ~10% IPC upgrades Intel give us each new generation of chip designs). Saying they want me to have a 3.5GHz Intel (the 3.9GHz is the turbo so only applies when not loading all the cores and, again, DX12 is about spreading workloads and driver calls over many cores to avoid bottlenecks) means I'm pretty sure I'm ready on the CPU front. But I also seriously question if their recommendations for CPU specs have anything to do with the minimum CPU they got to run perfectly fine with those settings and that GPU.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.