Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Quantum Break

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Apr 05, 2016

A third-person shooter from the studio behind Max Payne and Alan Wake, with heavy time-travel and time-manipulation themes.

Safe to pre-order?

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've been thinking about this game a lot here lately, it looks so Damn interesting. I have $60 in xbox currency to pre-order, plus the getting the Alan wake games digitally is awesome on its own.

However, just thinking about going ahead and pre-ordering brings up more questions that worry me, like longevity, how extremely linear it looks (which I don't mind a game being linear, but there's something about how strong it is in videos I've seen), I'm not 100% sure I like the things Drew said about the shooting seeming like it wants to go constantly rely on your powers. I know these fears come with the territory of pre-ordering, and maybe they are nothing and I'm sure most responses will be "then don't pre-order!" But the only reason I pre-order is for the convenience of coming in from work and being able to play right away.

I'm just curious to see it anybody else noticed these things or its just me and the game will be awesome. My back up pick just in case is Tropico 5: penultimate edition. Thanks all that contribute.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Have you played Remedy's other games? Max Payne 1/2 and Alan Wake?
    This game looks almost identical in structure to those, except it also has the TV show episodes inbetween acts. Can probably expect it to be about 10 hours long.

I have complete faith in it, but I also loved all previous Remedy games.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

If you can't get a refund, preordering is never safe.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: I loved the hell out of Alan wake, and vaguely remember max Payne 1. 10 hours, is a good chunk of gaming for a story like this already, plus multiple play throughs are encouraged it seems with the choices. I'm going to continue to research before makinging a final decision. I must say I'm more intrigued.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: I loved the hell out of Alan wake, and vaguely remember max Payne 1. 10 hours, is a good chunk of gaming for a story like this already, plus multiple play throughs are encouraged it seems with the choices. I'm going to continue to research before makinging a final decision. I must say I'm more intrigued.

Yeah I mean, there isn't really any reason to preorder anyway? You can wait for reviews and then buy it if they seem favorable to your interests.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By glots

Since we're talking about you already having that digital $60 in your wallet ready-to-go, I'd say definitely wait for the reviews. I know I will, though that maybe has more to do with the fact that I just keep forgetting I even own Xbone, so I don't tend to get hyped over (console) exclusive releases. On the plus-side, I can then get positively surprised by them, like with Rise of The Tomb Raider (yeah, it was a timed one, but still!).

Personally, I loved Max Payne 1&2, but didn't care much for Alan Wake, so we'll see.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Rafaelfc

Nothing safe about pre-ordering.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Unless you get some super awesome bonus I wouldn't ever pre-order anything if you can help it. Like @atwa said, this looks like your typical Remedy game, and thats a double edged sword. On one hand I really loved all the original Remedy Max Payne games, on the other hand I thought Alan Wake was extremely monotnous past the first hour or so and the combat not nearly as satisfying. You liked it, so there is that, but Quantum Break does look a bit more like Max Payne than Alan Wake in that the shooting is a lot more frenetic than Wake's almost puzzle-esque style of combat. If I had to guess I'd say Quantum Break will have a (plus or minus) 10hr run time, linear story with some branching paths that eventually don't add up to all that much.

Remedy are a studio that do good combat and fun levels, but writing has never been their strong suit. Although sacrilegious I know, I thought May Payne 3 probably had the strongest writing of the bunch, while Alan Wake was just plain bad.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Evilsbane

I would hold off on Break until it gets a few reviews it just smells funny to me.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have to ask the question, the answer is no.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm a huge fan of Remedy (especially Alan Wake) so I'll likely pick up the Xbox One version of Quantum Break on day one. The free PC version is tempting, but I already have the prior Alan Wake games and have made a habit of not pre-ordering anything lately.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop preordering.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, the pre-order hate is thick.

Well, I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and the retail atmosphere here is real bad about low stock. If you want physical you preorder, or unless its like Call of Duty levels of huge, you wait two weeks.

Usually do physical preorders through amazon (you pay no money until shipping) or EB ($5 down but you can just wait for reviews and then cancel) so I dont get locked in or need to front the money for anything.

In a perfect world, even small titles would be able to guarantee stock and I wouldn't have to but such is life when you live on the ass end of canada.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Colony024

@mrhadouken: I think your avatar would get angry at the mere suggestion of preordering.

As others have said, if you're not absolutely sure, hold off until reviews are in.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never safe.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After sleeping on it, I am intrigued but also still worried, I think I'm just gonna skip it til the holiday sales come in, getting Alan wake isn't enough to make me pull the trigger. And like I said I only pre-order for the convenience of playing 12:01am, sure getting older games is nice but usually I don't even touch them. I usually never worry as I haven't preordered a game I haven't liked yet, but QB is different, still something very odd there. Thanks guys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After listening to the latest Beastcast I would suggest to wait till the first reviews hit.

Also don't preorder in general.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never safe, ESPECIALLY on a new IP, just wait a few days till some gameplay video are out and reviews hit. Your $60 credit isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I see no benefit outside pre-loading the game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Hold off.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't pre-order anything. Except a timed delivery for every saturday night from Domino's of 12 chicken strippers, honey mustard dip, and a perosnal tandoori chicken pizza. Now THATS a pre-order.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By petethepanda

I'm a Remedy fanboy so I preordered it, but in general, it's not worth preordering anything if you're not 100% confident in it.

You could at least hold off until a few days before release, maybe it'll have reviews go up in advance and it'll give you enough time to then preorder and preload if it sounds good.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

You are doing disservice to all other consumers by pre-ordering.

Never pre-order. No exceptions.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh right, this is coming out one week from now. Good thing they're at least lifting the embargo on 1st of April.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Zurv

sadly it doesn't look like the game supports SLI (yet?). The new NVidia drivers talk about the game, but there is no new profile.. ugh. So i'm guessing no 4k. But still better than pooo 720p 30fps on the xbox one.

I wonder when they are giving out the PC code for pre-ordering the xbox one digital version. (I can already pre-load on the xbox one)

also, pre-order whatever you feel like. Clearly there is no worries about doing that on the steam or EA as you can return games if you don't like it. There is already video on the site with drew to see if you like the game or not.

You are doing disservice to all other consumers by pre-ordering.

saying stuff like that is crazy. If the game sucks and you can't return it, the only disservice done is to the person that bought it. In the end games are just games. play it or not. Wait or not. It it your money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

The Giant Bomb rules of preorder state "one should never preorder video games".

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I liked Max Payne 2 and I didn't care Alan Wake, but was interested enough to finish it. Kinda curious if this will be any good. Max Payne I think I mostly found good because the bullet time is just so crazy. Going back to 1 after 2 it felt kinda dated, and 3 was just kinda boring.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews hit at 12 pacific, FYI. Then you'll know!

But as Jeff said, have you seen their preview video of the first chapter? That's the game.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@freezyfrog: I only preorder when the bonuses are great and this has the two Alan Wake games and the PC version included. I waited for reviews since they released the game to critics early.. And now I'm still torn. Jeff hated it, 90% of other sites liked or loved it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure which sites you are referring to, but basically all I checked this morning are very cold on the game.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ir0n said:

Not sure which sites you are referring to, but basically all I checked this morning are very cold on the game.

So you checked Giantbomb and Gamespot?
    It has 78 on Metacritic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I checked GB, GS, Eurogamer as well as Kotaku. Am not in the "too much too read, give me a number" camp.

Metacritic for me never has been a proper indication of a products quality.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ir0n said:

I checked GB, GS, Eurogamer as well as Kotaku. Am not in the "too much too read, give me a number" camp.

Metacritic for me never has been a proper indication of a products quality.

Your first comment was to try and go against someone saying most reviews were positive, and then you list 4 sites and try to throw every other under the bus because you don't trust scores, as if they are not a general indication of the tone of the review?

http://www.destructoid.com/review-quantum-break-350662.phtml

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/1/11240354/quantum-break-review-xbox-one-pc

http://www.thejimquisition.com/quantum-break-review/

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/quantum_break/b/xboxone/archive/2016/04/01/quantum-break-game-informer-review.aspx

Here you go, some extremely positive reviews for you to read.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No idea what you are reading in my statements.

I wrote the ones I checked this morning which been the sites I follow more regularly have been rather cold on the game and was curious which ones are in stark contrast to those.

Not because as you imply because I want to dismiss others opinion but actually the opposite because I would like to get an idea which aspects those praise.

I also didn't state I don't trust scores, once again you read stuff into my comments.

I don't want to start the entire ranking systems trying to objectify the very subjective nature of fun in entertainment media discussion but here are my two cents in a nutshell:

Scores in itself don't give me anything. I care about reviewers pointing out the strengths and weaknesses they personally see in the game in question. There are elements others can look over that are probably a big turn off for me and vice versa. I am for instance quite opposite to Jeff's personal taste but for as long as he can illustrate his experience with a game I am usually able to get an idea if the game would work for me or not. That's more value than any random number out of context can give me.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By avantegardener

Uh I wouldn't, because it looks super dull, but that's just my opinion.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

oh.. pre-order cancelled!

i still might have kept it for the dx12 on the PC.. but SLI isn't supported.. so.. cancelled.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zurv said:

oh.. pre-order cancelled!

i still might have kept it for the dx12 on the PC.. but SLI isn't supported.. so.. cancelled.

Did they actually say SLI isn't supported? All I've seen is paying saying "oh UWPs can't support SLI" which I have read isn't true.. so not really sure what to believe there. I've got an Xbox One so I'll play the game there but I'll definitely throw it at my 2x 970 i74970 rig and see what happens.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.