Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Quantum Theory

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 28, 2010

Take on a living alien tower that shifts and mutates around you, and the hordes of hostile creatures that dwell within, in this infamous Japanese clone of Gears of War.

How can a game with such a smart sounding name be so stupid?

Kindredwarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kindredwarr

I just tried the demo for this POS and I realized a few things... 

1) Quantum is a cool word.. Quantum Leap, Quantum of Solace. And now Quantum Theory, probably only called as such because it sounds cool. Otherwise why does a game featuring monster names such as Gillskins or Nosferatu sound so sciency?

2) If this is what Japanese game developers think of western games like Gears of War or what western gamers like (big beefy dumb main characters), I'm actually offended. The main character spouted the most hackneyed lines ever. "All dead already? Guess I'll have to go hunting" or "Splat" are you effin kidding me?  This feels like a cheap knock-off, kind like dudes that called them selves Bruce Lai, Bruce Lau, Bruce Li, Bruce Lei.

3) Throwing your female cohort at a bad guy isn't very fun. Mainly it made me wonder, why can't she do that shit by her self? Why do I have to chuck her at some weird monster thing when she can jump at it her self? Also why don't weapons work on it again? Just saying shooting  won't work doesn't really clear things up.  

I couldn't tolerate this crap for more then a few minutes, and I'm a fairly open minded gamer.. this game sucks ass, and unless you can polish a turd, I see no point of even downloading the 760 some meg demo.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#2  Edited By Soap

I tried the demo as well and I've never seen such a blatent rip off of a game ever. I understand that people take 'influences' from other games but this game is just gears of war. Except shit.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I just tried out the demo. Somehow the aiming and cover systems are ten times worse than in Gears of War. The ONE thing I liked about Gears of War's cover system, which is the ability to automatically run from one piece of cover to the next, has been taken out. And half of the time i was hitting A, the guy wouldn't snap to cover. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

It's one game that I'd be extremely surprised to find a fan of.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By trylks

This game will stand as a paradigmatic example of how a good game like Gears can be cloned into something which is anything but good. Maybe people in Japan like the enriched melee combat, and prefer the combo system to the co-op. But the game feels completely broken, comments like "I'm not going to win this fight hiding" (or something like that) are not very wise in a cover based system where you have a NPC that will do all the job for you if you wait long enough ("I" have gone though the demo once, she killed the boss), maybe some kind of honor system doesn't let Japanese people to allow that and because of that the game is way more challenging than gears. 

I don't know why 'A' cannot be used for jumping too, as in gears. It's like every difference from Gears is for the worse, but some are definitively more "Japanized".

Any Japanese to tell us if their taste in games is different and in this direction? Maybe they like it. 

I don't know how is the title related with the game, I was expecting a connection as thin as in the case of half-life, but I was unable to find it so far.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Quantum Theory sounds smart?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Gamesradar already reviewed it and gave it a 3/10.

Not surprised.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trylks
    @TheSeductiveMoose: yes, it does, looks like you have to manipulate matter at a quantum level, way more complicated than what you are doing at Braid or Singularity, that title should be for a game that makes you feel like Dr Manhattan or something like that.
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    @Trylks said:
    " @TheSeductiveMoose: yes, it does, looks like you have to manipulate matter at a quantum level, way more complicated than what you are doing at Braid or Singularity, that title should be for a game that makes you feel like Dr Manhattan or something like that. "
    The name just feels so bland and uninspired. It just doesn't fit this game.
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By trylks
    @TheSeductiveMoose: The name is the reason for which I downloaded the demo.
    Scribbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Scribbly

The combo system for melee reminds me of Prince of Persia (the reboot) where you kill enemies by repeatedly throwing a girl at them :P Otherwise this game is all Gears rip-off.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

Quantum Theory sounds smart?

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Three0neFive

I find it pretty funny how people are happy to shit on this, but Vanquish gets a free pass because it was made by a guy who made a few other popular games.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Three0neFive: Except Vanquish isn't shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.