Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Radiant Historia

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 03, 2010

An RPG co-developed by Atlus and Headlock, some other staff include artist Hiroshi Konishi who worked on Radiata Stories and Yoko Shimomura on the music. Stocke must travel through time and revisit key events in order to save his homeland of Alistel from invasion and, ultimately, total desertification. An enhanced port with a new, third storyline was released on Nintendo 3DS in June 2017.

My first 6 hours or so with Radiant Historia

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Edited By Animasta

Ok, so this game was put out by Atlus, and while it wasn't solely developed by them, they had a lot of influence on the story and stuff so it peaked my attention right away. Now, after about 6 hours or so, wanna give some starting thoughts. Mild spoilers I guess if you wanna go in completely clean I suppose?

No Caption Provided

1. Story is really good so far, and main character is awesome.
     Now, this was billed as being time travel, but that's kinda not the main point. It's actually more reminiscent of Chrono Cross than Chrono Trigger. You get this book, the white chronicle, from your fantasy CIA boss, and after you almost die you are transported to Historia, which is where the story is laid out in some graph-like fashion. You have two histories going side by side; standard history and alternate history, all stemming from one decision (whether you stay part of the fantasy CIA or go with your big bro Rosch's brigade). Now, instead of just choosing one side to go down and forgetting about the other, sometimes you will need information that you can only get in the other history to help you out on this one, for example: there's a border you need to cross, and you don't have passports. You meet up with a traveling band of performers, and they agree to sneak you in, but you get caught since you're not the same race (they're these weird beastmen dudes) and you don't know any tricks. So you go back to the other history, where a soldier named Kiel knows how to SWORD DANCE (which does not translate into regular swordsmanship, much to his chagrin) but you learn a bit, and you go back to the other history where you show off to the border guard, who lets you pass. Sometimes it can be a little weird in what you need to actually DO, but I like the system.

Main character is great though. Instead of being a silent protagonist, He's a calm, somewhat distant spy who knows how to act and how to behave in certain situations. He does not act like an idiot while other party members debate on what they should do, and he even gets things before the other people in your party for once! O: The first time he learns of the book's power, he mentions how it's probably really dangerous and that people shouldn't have the power to go back in time. Which is correct, of course, but it's pretty refreshing to hear a main character say that.

2. Battle system's pretty unique.

The battle system is turned based, as per usual, but it's done like I aint never seen before. The enemies are laid out in a  3x3 square. You can push, pull enemies into different squares, and even the same square, where you will do damage to multiple enemies. and you can rearrange your turns, so sometimes you'll have this:

Enemy
    Party Member 1
    Enemy
    Party Member 2
    Party Member 3

now enemies reset being in the same square during their turn, but party member one can switch his turn with the enemy down below him, which will give the enemy his turn, but allows all the party members to attack in turn, which means a bigger combo which means MORE MONEY. No random battles either, you run into enemies on the field, and if you hit them with your sword (sometimes it takes a few hits) and they'll get stunned, and you'll go into battle with 4 turns, which, if you utilize the grid effectively, you can kill the majority of them before the even start. Sometimes it's kinda easy for them to get the hit on you, though :/

3. not everything's great, though!

There are a few problems. As I mentioned earlier, the logic they want you to follow can be kinda hard to figure at times, and sometimes you'll accidentally skip to a time where you need to watch a few cutscenes before getting to the part where you'll change things. There is a fast skip button, but that isn't fast enough for things like the ... that pops up quite a bit. Some enemies don't actually move at all, which is kinda missing the point, and from what I've seen and heard so far, there is a distinct lack of enemy art (mostly recolors the more you go through, especially army dudes) and some of the character art is kinda... a little too anime, maybe? That dude on the bottom right of the box art is supposed to be a mercenary for crying out loud

It's pretty sweet though, so hopefully you pick it up, as it seems not a lot of people here have :P
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Animasta

Ok, so this game was put out by Atlus, and while it wasn't solely developed by them, they had a lot of influence on the story and stuff so it peaked my attention right away. Now, after about 6 hours or so, wanna give some starting thoughts. Mild spoilers I guess if you wanna go in completely clean I suppose?

No Caption Provided

1. Story is really good so far, and main character is awesome.
     Now, this was billed as being time travel, but that's kinda not the main point. It's actually more reminiscent of Chrono Cross than Chrono Trigger. You get this book, the white chronicle, from your fantasy CIA boss, and after you almost die you are transported to Historia, which is where the story is laid out in some graph-like fashion. You have two histories going side by side; standard history and alternate history, all stemming from one decision (whether you stay part of the fantasy CIA or go with your big bro Rosch's brigade). Now, instead of just choosing one side to go down and forgetting about the other, sometimes you will need information that you can only get in the other history to help you out on this one, for example: there's a border you need to cross, and you don't have passports. You meet up with a traveling band of performers, and they agree to sneak you in, but you get caught since you're not the same race (they're these weird beastmen dudes) and you don't know any tricks. So you go back to the other history, where a soldier named Kiel knows how to SWORD DANCE (which does not translate into regular swordsmanship, much to his chagrin) but you learn a bit, and you go back to the other history where you show off to the border guard, who lets you pass. Sometimes it can be a little weird in what you need to actually DO, but I like the system.

Main character is great though. Instead of being a silent protagonist, He's a calm, somewhat distant spy who knows how to act and how to behave in certain situations. He does not act like an idiot while other party members debate on what they should do, and he even gets things before the other people in your party for once! O: The first time he learns of the book's power, he mentions how it's probably really dangerous and that people shouldn't have the power to go back in time. Which is correct, of course, but it's pretty refreshing to hear a main character say that.

2. Battle system's pretty unique.

The battle system is turned based, as per usual, but it's done like I aint never seen before. The enemies are laid out in a  3x3 square. You can push, pull enemies into different squares, and even the same square, where you will do damage to multiple enemies. and you can rearrange your turns, so sometimes you'll have this:

Enemy
    Party Member 1
    Enemy
    Party Member 2
    Party Member 3

now enemies reset being in the same square during their turn, but party member one can switch his turn with the enemy down below him, which will give the enemy his turn, but allows all the party members to attack in turn, which means a bigger combo which means MORE MONEY. No random battles either, you run into enemies on the field, and if you hit them with your sword (sometimes it takes a few hits) and they'll get stunned, and you'll go into battle with 4 turns, which, if you utilize the grid effectively, you can kill the majority of them before the even start. Sometimes it's kinda easy for them to get the hit on you, though :/

3. not everything's great, though!

There are a few problems. As I mentioned earlier, the logic they want you to follow can be kinda hard to figure at times, and sometimes you'll accidentally skip to a time where you need to watch a few cutscenes before getting to the part where you'll change things. There is a fast skip button, but that isn't fast enough for things like the ... that pops up quite a bit. Some enemies don't actually move at all, which is kinda missing the point, and from what I've seen and heard so far, there is a distinct lack of enemy art (mostly recolors the more you go through, especially army dudes) and some of the character art is kinda... a little too anime, maybe? That dude on the bottom right of the box art is supposed to be a mercenary for crying out loud

It's pretty sweet though, so hopefully you pick it up, as it seems not a lot of people here have :P
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'm going to start playing it tonight. 

I hope I like it. I've been looking for a good JRPG.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By gla55jAw

I had no idea this was from Atlus or what this game was. I'll definitely pick this up at some point.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thehexeditor

I don't have a DS anymore but when I get the 3DS I'll pick this one up for sure.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Animasta
    @gla55jAw said:
    " I had no idea this was from Atlus or what this game was. I'll definitely pick this up at some point. "
    It was an external dev, but they definitely worked with Atlus story writers to hammer out the plot details and stuff. Originally the main character was a sword, so :P
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust

This was some good insight and prompted me to check out a few videos for the game online.  I had forgotten about this title with all the hype surrounding Dragon Age and it does look worth trying out later on.  

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Catolf

I have it and played a little last night, I really really like the battle system so far.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

How bad is the quantity of text boxes in cutscenes? This normally isn't a problem for me, as I like to read them usually, but Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was god-awful with them. Seriously, just obnoxious with the pointless amount of them. I've only gotten five hours into it because I start to zone out and get tired from the boring, uninspired dialogue.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Animasta
    @AnimZero said:
    " How bad is the quantity of text boxes in cutscenes? This normally isn't a problem for me, as I like to read them usually, but Golden Sun: Dark Dawn was god-awful with them. Seriously, just obnoxious with the pointless amount of them. I've only gotten five hours into it because I start to zone out and get tired from the boring, uninspired dialogue. "
    They definitely get to the point fairly quickly, not a WHOLE lot of filler stuff.
    Unmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Unmada

@Laketown:  I'm a few hours into the game and was starting to get annoyed at having to watch the dialogues repeat when I returned to earlier times.  The X button quick-scroll thing wasn't quite helping.  However, if you hit Start after the scene gets going, you'll skip it entirely. 
    I've had to be careful, though.  Once already I've skipped through a scene that was actually different upon my return and missed some stuff.  If you know that you're going to be only doing a quick errand in a past time or if you know that what you're watching won't change, the Start button is a lifesaver.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By donchipotle

I really like it so far, and I'm about 14 hours deep. The story just keeps snowballing into crazier territory that I just have to keep playing to find out what wrench is going to be thrown into the mix next.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mutha3
    @Laketown said:
    " @gla55jAw said:
    " I had no idea this was from Atlus or what this game was. I'll definitely pick this up at some point. "
    It was an external dev, but they definitely worked with Atlus story writers to hammer out the plot details and stuff. Originally the main character was a sword, so :P "
    You've got it mixed up, a huge chunk of SMT staffers did the programma and the battle design.

Most of the development team is SMT.
    chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By chickdigger802

don't hate the ewok merch =) 

I played a good 5 hrs or so and I agree with most of your points.  

I do hate the really bad walking sound though. It kinda ruins the superb soundtrack somewhat =/ 

zockroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By zockroach

I'm really enjoying the game thus far.  Quick battles, great story, excellent music, some seriously beautiful sprite work.  I'm definitely a fan of being able to go back to any node in the story and replay to get anything I might have missed the first time around.  Looks like I actually might play this one to completion.. *crosses fingers* : )

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mowgers

This needs to come out in the UK. Might finally get me to flip open my goddamn DS after a bazillion years.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Animasta
    @drag said:
    " I'm tempted as hell but not sure I can gather the energy for another JRPG at the moment ... just finished Persona 3 and not sure I have the motivation to even finished The Answer on that. "
    this game is real easy to play for 30 minute chunks and just stop. The time stuff even has cliffnotes to help you remember what happened (and it's also pretty easy)

but, really, you should not finish the answer. It's 30 minutes of cutscenes at the beginning, 30 minutes at the end, and about 10 hours of straight dungeon crawling; harder than the base game too.
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely interested now from reading about the Combat, thanks for bringing it to my attention :3.  I have been hearing about some great DS games recently.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By striderno9

Does the combat feel anything like Grandia II or FF10? Thats the impression I get when I see videos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.