Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

Disappointment of the year?

• 181 results
    Avatar image for happy_gentle_man
    Happy_Gentle_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Happy_Gentle_Man

Now Rage is fianlly out and i have just watched the quick look, is it safe to say this game is the disappointment of the year? A list of problems too numerous to mention, no map, no checkpointing, repetitive levels, tacked on races, no loot, no customisation, weapons that dont look very satisfying, repetitive side quests, no quest markers, no point in exploration, a setting copied from fallout and I am Legend, texture pop in that is terrible on PC and pretty bad on consoles, boring characters, bad AI, RC cars copied from modern warfare 2, boring story. I think it's fair to say id have either lost their touch in their pursuit of the big $$$ or just can't make games to compete in modern market. I'm also disgusted with the state of the PC version, it feels like a port, it's like we don't even deserve a real version of games anymore. Normally I'm an ok guy and don't like to moan but this game has shattered my dreams of a brighter tomorrow for PC gaming. It's the last time I buy id games that's for sure! How do you feel duders!? <>

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

Alice: Maddness Returns, man that game is boring!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Hizang said:

It is? I played it through to completion while my gf watched and we both enjoyed immensely. Maybe you need a girlfriend?

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By jjnen

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Hizang said:

It is? I played it through to completion while my gf watched and we both enjoyed immensely. Maybe you need a girlfriend?

Best. Argument. Ever.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By amomjc

@Happy_Gentle_Man said:

Now Rage is fianlly out and i have just watched the quick look, is it safe to say this game is the disappointment of the year? A list of problems too numerous to mention, no map, no checkpointing, repetitive levels, tacked on races, no loot, no customisation, weapons that dont look very satisfying, repetitive side quests, no quest markers, no point in exploration, a setting copied from fallout and I am Legend, texture pop in that is terrible on PC and pretty bad on consoles, boring characters, bad AI, RC cars copied from modern warfare 2, boring story. I think it's fair to say id have either lost their touch in their pursuit of the big $$$ or just can't make games to compete in modern market. I'm also disgusted with the state of the PC version, it feels like a port, it's like we don't even deserve a real version of games anymore. Normally I'm an ok guy and don't like to moan but this game has shattered my dreams of a brighter tomorrow for PC gaming. It's the last time I buy id games that's for sure! How do you feel duders!? <>

How dare you call me duder with only 8 posts!!

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MideonNViscera

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Hizang said:

The way you leapt to it's defense I'd think that game was your girlfriend.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam

@Happy_Gentle_Man: No, only if you expected something that Rage never was.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Master_Funk

Nah its still looks like an Id game, so unless you were expecting anything other than an Id game, you would probably be disappointed.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

Too much factualy wrong in your post to even bother.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You were expecting too much.

There ain't no revolution coming anytime soon, its all tried and true concepts.
    And the masses love it.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@MideonNViscera said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Hizang said:

The way you leapt to it's defense I'd think that game was your girlfriend.

You also need a girlfriend. Fat chance though. haha

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pezen

I can't be disappointed, I never expected much from this at all. It always looked kind of bland. It's pretty, but nothing stands out as something I need to spend a lot of money on.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BionicRadd

If you are a die hard fan of id shooters, this game will probably be awesome for you. All the advertising and run-up I've seen for this game made it sound like Borderlands with a deeper RPG system (I saw several articles playing up the involvement of folks from Bethesda), which is apparently not what it is. So, for me, yea, it is a huge disappointment. Fortunately, I didn't buy it, so it's not that big a deal.

paperfac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By paperfac

With all these negative posts on RAGE I think it's important people know that some people are running this game just fine on their computers. It is running very smooth for me, sorry to those that are having problems. The shooting is incredibly satisfying and the game looks beautiful. I'm having a good time with it.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By James_ex_machina

Id has always had good tech but they haven't progressesd in their gaming styles. I always follow their games but they don't seem to live up to the hype. I stii say it's worth a rent or worth waiting for a price drop.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By AndrewB

I never really had my expectations high for Rage... in fact, I barely watched coverage of it, so I don't see it as too big of a disappointment if I'm judging the game by what I've read about it post-embargo.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I am disappointed to learn that for 3 discs of content, there's roughly 10 hours of gameplay to be had. At least, according to Arthur Gies's review. I must admit I thought id were venturing outside of their comfort zone, throwing RPG terms around. Had me thinking that it'd be closer to Borderlands than say, Call of Duty. At least in terms of variety and exploration.

I'll still buy Rage, but when it's been discounted to something more palatable. $30-$40 range, I'm thinking,

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#19  Edited By BeachThunder

Oh, come on, what about:

Dragon Age 2
    Brink
    Homefront
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Catherine
    Dead Island
    Crysis 2
    Red Faction: Armageddon

Surely those are contenders for most disappointing game of the year, right?

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nottle

@BeachThunder said:

Oh, come on, what about:
    Dragon Age 2
    Brink
    Homefront
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Catherine
    Dead Island
    Crysis 2

I'd say that list hits the nail on the head except, was Catherine really that disappointing? Other than Jeff's review I thought most people were positive about that game.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ttocs

Duke Nukem is easily the biggest disappointment of the year. This doesn't even come close.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai

@BeachThundersaid:

Oh, come on, what about: Dragon Age 2BrinkHomefrontDuke Nukem ForeverCatherineDead Island Crysis 2 Red Faction: Armageddon Surely those are contenders for most disappointing game of the year, right?

I'll go with DA2. SO much was expected and Bioware did 2+2=13 and decided to changed a formula that turned DAO into their biggest seller ever. Go Figure. I'll admire them for trying to bring new people that found DAO unapproachable but in their quest (the irony) to "make rpg more accessible to new comers" they managed to alienate a pig portion of their existing fanbase. DA2 takes the prize in this category.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#23  Edited By MachoFantastico

I've come to realise that there are some gamers out there who will buy a John Carmack/Id Software game even if it's pretty bloody awful, some PC gamers see him as a sort of god and that's perfectly fine. He's worshipped by a lot of gamers out there who adore the way Id games are made and structured, again that's perfectly fine. Rage seems generally generic, and that's part of the issue for many. It's a pretty shooter, but it's also a safe shooter and with a studio like Id Software much more is expected. Possibly the biggest issue is the PC version, which some PC gamers are going insane about on forums. Some saying it's basically a console port, which would make perfect sense since ZeniMax Media took them over. Consoles are where the money is at and it seems Id Software put most of their efforts into the console versions.

That's how I see it anyway. Disappointing as I feel Id could do a lot better, even if their most recent history of game releases hasn't exactly been stunning.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Buscemi

Don't duder me, duder!

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By XenoNick

@BeachThunder said:

Oh, come on, what about: Dragon Age 2BrinkHomefrontDuke Nukem ForeverCatherineDead Island Crysis 2 Red Faction: Armageddon Surely those are contenders for most disappointing game of the year, right?

Don't forget F.E.A.R 3

I'll be honest, I think the quick look may have sold me on the game. Looks awesome.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nohthink

I think it is very immature of you to say the game is a disappointment without actually playing it. You cannot judge everything by quick looks and brad and Patrick seemed enjoying it. IGN also gave 8.5. No, I don't think Rage is a disappointment.

Nefhril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nefhril

@BeachThunder said:

• Dragon Age 2, never finished it, they destroyed the franchise.
    • Was super hyped over Brink but that was one epic fail.
    • DNF was what I expected was pretty clear that it weren't going to be that great, but I enjoyed it.
    • Dead Island I like been having tons of fun in coop!
    • Red Faction, I wish they made it open world.

I haven't played Rage yet but I don't think it will even come close to worst game of the year for me...

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By sirdesmond

@nohthink said:

IGN also gave 8.5.

Oh my gosh, it must be great!

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By damswedon

@BeachThunder: I'd personally add Portal 2 (realized what I liked about Portal and what everyone else like about portal were completely different), LA Noire (Homicide's whole existence) and Deus Ex Human Revolution (Everything once you go back to Detroit) to that list. Man it has been a disappointing year for games.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d
    deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's only disappointing if you play it on PC. Because y'know...it doesn't work.

sp00nsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By sp00nsie

@BeachThunder: Hmm, I didn't mind Homefront so much. But I was incredibly disappointed with Brink and Crysis 2...Duke Nukem goes without saying. All in all it's fair to say this past year has definitely tipped in the favor of utter disappointment.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By buzz_killington

IT LOOKS SO GODDAMNED GOOD

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nohthink

@sirdesmond said:

@nohthink said:

IGN also gave 8.5.

Oh my gosh, it must be great!

You're missing a point. What I'm saying is that it is getting positive reactions from the reviewers, even from Giant Bomb crews. Brad straight up start the Quick Looks by saying he likes the game. I do not believe he is going to give 5 stars(maybe 4 stars). I believe it is immature to say "this game must be a disappointment because this one guy that I like said one thing that is bad about this game!" Although expectation can be varied by the people, you cannot call a game "the disappointment of the year" without playing it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By MooseyMcMan

My troll-dar is beeping like CRAZY!

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Cloudenvy

I don't know if it's a disappointment or not, but Rage doesn't look like a game I want to play at all.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@Hizang said:

I love you, haha. 

@Happy_Gentle_Man said:

Now Rage is fianlly out and i have just watched the quick look, is it safe to say this game is the disappointment of the year?

It's not like you should play the fucking game before making such a strong accusation. Online videos do it alright, especially ones that are an hour long!
    Macabros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Macabros

Release in Germany is scheduled on friday, so I didnt´t play it yet. But I liked what I saw in the quicklook and don´t know where the dissapointment comes from. I expect it to be an nice shooter with a little bit of driving, no more.

As for dissapointing games this year, my top 3 would be : 1.Dragon Age 2, 2.Homeftront, 3.Brink.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BeachThunder said:

Oh, come on, what about: Dragon Age 2
    Brink
    Homefront
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Catherine
    Dead Island
    Crysis 2

Of those games, the only one I found fully disappointing was Red Faction Armageddon.

Anyone who thought DNF was going to be a good game has been fooling themselves for 10 years, Dragon Age 2 wasn't as good as the first and had far too few environments but it was still a great game, Brink has completely broken matchmaking but the actual game was fantastic, and the rest of those games are just plain great.

But people will be disappointed by anything that they overhype themselves for, Skyrim is probably going to be the game that gets the biggest backlash of disappointed overhyped people this year if I were to take a guess.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kingzetta

I had no expectations to begin with

HotSando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HotSando

@nientkewitz said:

I expect it to be an nice shooter with a little bit of driving, no more.

Its fantastic that you have incredibly low standards for a $60 title. You are literally the dream customer of every MBA that has a powerful position at a plublisher. Feed the masses simplistc crap, dont put in any effort to polish it. Just make sure it appeases those who refuse to cultivate a little taste and discernment. I hope you really enjoy your time with RAGE, i hear that their new click-to-shoot sysem is un-groundbreaking, so its sure to be up your alley.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MikkaQ

I think some people assumed the game would be an RPG somehow, and are disappointed it isn't. That's not exactly iD's fault, you can't really expect them to just make an RPG, can you?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laserbolts

People were disappointed with DNF? How could you think that the game was going to be not awful?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@XII_Sniper said:

I think some people assumed the game would be an RPG somehow, and are disappointed it isn't. That's not exactly iD's fault, you can't really expect them to just make an RPG, can you?

It's unfortunately true.

So many people seem to struggle to seperate Genres from Settings in their minds. So when they hear "Post Apocalyptic!" They think "RPG!" thanks to Bethesda's half-assed revival of the Fallout series.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By Commisar123

First of all I'm enjoying Rage, secondly there are way more disappointing games this year then Rage

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nocall

@BeachThunder said:

Wow, good list. I mean..."good" list. It's kind of heartbreaking that there were so many letdowns this year.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By altairre

@HotSando said:

@nientkewitz said:

Its fantastic that you have incredibly low standards for a $60 title. You are literally the dream customer of every MBA that has a powerful position at a plublisher. Feed the masses simplistc crap, dont put in any effort to polish it. Just make sure it appeases those who refuse to cultivate a little taste and discernment. I hope you really enjoy your time with RAGE, i hear that their new click-to-shoot sysem is un-groundbreaking, so its sure to be up your alley.

*sigh* Right, every game that is a $60 title has to be groundbreaking and crazy as shit. What are you even talking about? I mean it´s an ID software game, has stunning graphics and the shooting feels great (in my opinion). If that is the game you want to play then it is worth the 60 bucks. For me personally a CoD game or even Starcraft 2 are not worth 60$ but for many people they are and I won´t blame them. To say: "Hey, if you pay full price for RAGE you are part of the problem", just because you think it´s no good seems (no offense) pretty ignorant to me.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Chummy8

I don't know. It looks alright. I'll get it still, but when it drops in price like I always do.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nocall

@altairre said:

@HotSando said:

@nientkewitz said:

*sigh* Right, every game that is a $60 title has to be groundbreaking and crazy as shit. What are you even talking about? I mean it´s an ID software game, has stunning graphics and the shooting feels great (in my opinion). If that is the game you want to play then it is worth the 60 bucks. For me personally a CoD game or even Starcraft 2 are not worth 60$ but for many people they are and I won´t blame them. To say: "Hey, if you pay full price for RAGE you are part of the problem", just because you think it´s no good seems (no offense) pretty ignorant to me.

Good point. Besides, ID makes engines, not games. The games they put out are just tech demos for their latest engine.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bybeach

I don't know what ppl. for expecting, for it to fondle your private parts whilst you play? Actually I do not know what I was expecting, but the ql looked much like the trailers to me, that part connects. It looks fun, it looks beautiful..but ehh,def nothing new under the sun, with borderlands and Mad Max both saying hello, not to mentionthe vault boy bobble head! But the tech issues...BUMMER, they better get that shit straightened out.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Chummy8

Disappointment is often a result of the buyer's false expectations of a game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.