Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

The Problem With Rage

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShinjiEx

Some of you went in thinking it was going to be a hybrid of Borderlands or Fallout much less an RPG of sorts which it's not  
    believe me I thought the same

More or less it's a classic shooter but with more freedom when it comes to driving segments and the hubs/towns etc. 
    not being a "cookie cutter shooter"

So that aside with the graphics & gun play the game is pretty sweet & is a great accomplishment in the history of video games congratulations Id Software ^__^

P.S. DLC is in the works that will help fill the supposed void

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By clstirens

I haven't played the game, so I have no true bearing on how long it really is, so consider this a generic statement. When I pay $60 for a game, there shouldn't be a need to fill a void, especially not with paid DLC.

Avatar image for griefersutherland
    GrieferSutherland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GrieferSutherland

No doubt, Rage is a really great game, and a lot of people will get good value out of it. The problem for me is just that it feels like I've already played it before at least twice... shame, but I just can't get into it.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By matthias2437

Yeah the reason people are RAGING (pun intended) about this game is because apparently everyone was expecting it to be the best fucking game made I guess. I didn't watch one video on it before I pre-ordered it. I just pre-ordered it because the first trailer was alright enough so I figured why not. Because of my expectation being "this game will probably be good" I actually am enjoying it a lot. The game controls very well, looks fantastic, and is fun. Which in my book makes in a good game.

Avatar image for advancedcaveman
    Advancedcaveman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Advancedcaveman

I don't really understand why so everyone expected it to be an RPG or an open world game or something. I never thought Rage would be like that; I always expected it to be an ID shooter with cars and a kind of canyon hub you drive through to get to missions. I never figured Rage would be anything like Boarderlands or Fallout; if anything it's always reminded me of Strife.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DonPixel

@matthias2437 said:

Yeah the reason people are RAGING (pun intended) about this game is because apparently everyone was expecting it to be the best fucking game made I guess. I didn't watch one video on it before I pre-ordered it. I just pre-ordered it because the first trailer was alright enough so I figured why not. Because of my expectation being "this game will probably be good" I actually am enjoying it a lot. The game controls very well, looks fantastic, and is fun. Which in my book makes in a good game.

Why do people pre order!? specially on steam I mean is not like they run out of copies.. after Red Orchestra 2 I learnt my lesson the hard way: read reviews first then purchase product.

paperfac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By paperfac

It's a lot better than most $60 games out there. Just don't say anything if you havn't played it, please.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ChaosDent

There's a reason the id guys kept comparing Rage to the Zelda franchise instead of any more traditional CRPG. 

• You travel from small, safe towns, through a dangerous overworld to the various dungons, which you have to run in order
    • Towns are really only useful for money generating minigames and shops
    • You spend all of your time mutely listening to people and you have to say "yes" to every choice.
    • You have a series of weapons and secondary items, and your power progression is entirely inventory based.
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9  Edited By ShinjiEx
    @ChaosDent said:
    There's a reason the id guys kept comparing Rage to the Zelda franchise instead of any more traditional CRPG. 
    • You travel from small, safe towns, through a dangerous overworld to the various dungons, which you have to run in order
    • You spend all of your time mutely listening to people and you have to say "yes" to every choice.
    • You have a series of weapons and secondary items, and your power progression is entirely inventory based.
    Yea when I think about it... it kind of is like Zelda... this game is now the greatest game ever ^__^
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clstirens said:

I haven't played the game, so I have no true bearing on how long it really is, so consider this a generic statement. When I pay $60 for a game, there shouldn't be a need to fill a void, especially not with paid DLC.

This unless that game's time is Skyrim.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cataphract1014

The game is fun. It has the best shooting of any games I've played in years.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By lethalki11ler

I hate. BUT REALLY HATE. The stupid checkpoint system. Playing it on Nightmare and making the tiniest mistake at the end of an instance leads to a whole restart. Hate that.

Other than that pretty good game.

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By SLUSHiNaToR

@DonPixel said:

@matthias2437 said:

Why do people pre order!? specially on steam I mean is not like they run out of copies.. after Red Orchestra 2 I learnt my lesson the hard way: read reviews first then purchase product.

Does it matter? Here are two reasons why:

1. They want to make sure they can afford it for sure when it comes out.. Money might be tight later on so it guarantees you have the money.

2. Preorder bonuses. Rage came with the Anarchy Edition for anyone who preordered. Some places gave you discount prices to make it cheaper than 60 bucks, I got mine for 43 bucks because of this.

Just cause you got bummed out cause you preordered a game you regret, doesn't mean preordering is a stupid choice to make in general.

Getting back on topic, I'm enjoying Rage like crazy. My only complaint was there was no option for vsync, but they patched that in today :) and the multiplayer. IMO, the multiplayer sucks... I only spent 1-2 hours on it, but that's all I really needed to figure out that I don't like it. I'm referring to the car stuff. The co-op seems like it would be great. Also, I think the lack of multiplayer FPS gametypes was a dumb choice.. I can see great potential in a horde gametype and deathmatch stuff. I'm glad they're already working on DLC.. I can tell that I'll be craving more rage even once I beat it. :D

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By maskedarcstrike

I finished it earlier today and thought it was a ton of fun. I played through on hard difficulty which everyone should for their first time IMO. The game is a little bit too easy at times if you have plenty of bandages and especially how overpowered pop rockets, advanced sentry turrets and wing sticks are. Seriously I hardly ever used any other weapon once I had the pop rocket schematic unless it was a long range fight.

The only thing that pissed me off was the ending, it's like this game was originally designed to be much longer but they either ran out of time or wanted to hold out material for the sequel. The ending feels severely forced and out of place, it would be the halfway point in most other games. I'm not talking the length of the game either but the context of the story and the events in the game play that led up to shortly before the ending.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By clstirens

@rebgav: That's true, but I was basing my statement off of the original post. He made mention about filling the void with dlc, and I feel like that should never be the case at full price.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I started wanting the game after I learned what it really was.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Getz

The problem with Rage is that people were expecting id Software to produce a hardcore RPG instead of a shooter? I don't get it.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Getz

@clstirens said:

I haven't played the game, so I have no true bearing on how long it really is

I fixed your original post, removing the unnecessary bits.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By clstirens

@Getz: I don't appreciate your post. The reason I said that at first, and included the other half of what you removed, was to indicate quite clearly that I was not referring to Rage at all.

My post was directed at the OP's statement that he hopes DLC will come soon.

DLC is in the works that will help fill the supposed void

I'd appreciate if you took the time to comprehend my post before berating it next time.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By ozzdog12

@matthias2437 said:

Exactly how I feel, The older I get and the more games I play, the better my personal judgment gets. In the last 3 years, I've only bought 1 game I have considered a disappointment and that was Brink this year and thats because i made the hype train for myself.

Beiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Beiken

its not a bad game but it fails in the shooting for me, its like any other id game but its lacking the challenge, everything is all to easy sure the enemies are cool and the wallclimbing mutants etc are evasive and such but once you get used to it a shotgun to the face still takes em out. There is just a lack of harder enemies, the hardest for me would be the gearhead guys near the end of the game and even they go down with 1-2shots from a fat mamma round.

Lack of epic bossfights; there is like 3 or 4? bossfights in the game and they are all very crude and easy except for the dead city boss, nothing like the doom or quake bosses wich id has been known for making. Game isnt short in shooter standards but it is short compared to "zelda" wich alot of people are comparing it to.

It's very much like borderlands to me with the setting and art being almost identical and even the car driving, allthough its alot better in Rage then in Borderlands, the difference is in the actual gameplay.

BigBrobawski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BigBrobawski

@ChaosDent said:

That is a reasonable comparison and makes a lot of sense. I've thoroughly enjoyed Rage. It has great shooter elements, nice little puzzles mixed in (I enjoy crafting RC Bombs >.<) and I love the races. Not to mention it is absolutely gorgeous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.