Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rainbow Moon

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jul 10, 2012

Rainbow Moon is a strategic RPG game for PlayStation Network.

Rainbow Moon is pretty great, I know right!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

Edited By Hizang
    No Caption Provided

I came home from work in a good mood today, happy for the weekend to begin. I am getting towards the end of my current game (The Amazing Spider-Man) so am looking for a new game to play. I was about to pick a game out of my backlog but i decided first to see the perks for PS+ this month, I looked through and saw a discount from this new game called Rainbow Moon. It wasn't that big of a discount but it was enough to make me to not really think about it and go yeah why not. I knew nothing about this game and it was the first I'd even heard about it, for those unaware its a RPG that has a turn based battle system. It took a little while to download but then I was straight in, I was not expecting this game to actually be this good.

I've played it for just over an hour and I am really enjoying my time with it, they set up the story rather quickly. Your a adventurer named Baldren (Or whatever you want, like The Legend of Zelda games) and you get pushed into a portal or something by this evil dude. Once in you discover you are in Rainbow Moon, you have also unleashed a whole mess of monsters into the peaceful world, so now you need to find a way home and save Rainbow Moon. Honestly the story is not that great, but the characters I've met have been nice and well written, what you would expect a standard RPG background character to say.

So the game has two parts

• Walking around talking to people and exploring the areas.
    • Turn based combat,

Now the walking around bit is what you would expect, theres no jumping or anything complicated just walking around. You can talk to NPC's who will give you quests, trade with you, heal you or just some random banter. Around the environment you will find treasure chests full of goodies and then you will find enemies, which is where the combat comes in. The combat at first is quite easy, It was just me against one or two of these flying imp creatures. As well as turn based it also works on a grid system, I haven't played anything like it but I think this is what Fire Emblem is like. For example say you have one turn, you can either move or attack or defend or use an item or escape. Where I am in the game you need to be one block away from an enemy to attack, so you need to move to get closer to an enemy and then attack. Later in the game the enemies get a lot tougher, when they introduced these bee things that took away double the damage than the imps.

Thats where the points come into play, basically when you beat enemies you will get a certain amount of these orbs. With these orbs you can dump them into certain attributes, Strength, Defence, Speed, Luck, Hit points and Mana points. Its weird how its structured though because to increase one strength you need 4 orbs but to increase one defence you need 10 orbs. The game recommends early on you increase strength and speed, I did just that and I'm very glad i did. I'm now one shotting those fucking bees! The game also has a fantastic art style, it reminded me slightly of Muramasa and an old Final Fantasy game. I think it's all hand drawn, if so it really shows. The game has an equally awesome soundtrack, the battle theme especially is just amazing and reminded me of a game I have never even played, Chrono Trigger.

So yes this game is great, it's out now in Europe and comes out in the US on the 10th? Oh and did I mention this game is £9.99, (Even cheaper with PS+ Discount!)

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hizang
    No Caption Provided

I came home from work in a good mood today, happy for the weekend to begin. I am getting towards the end of my current game (The Amazing Spider-Man) so am looking for a new game to play. I was about to pick a game out of my backlog but i decided first to see the perks for PS+ this month, I looked through and saw a discount from this new game called Rainbow Moon. It wasn't that big of a discount but it was enough to make me to not really think about it and go yeah why not. I knew nothing about this game and it was the first I'd even heard about it, for those unaware its a RPG that has a turn based battle system. It took a little while to download but then I was straight in, I was not expecting this game to actually be this good.

I've played it for just over an hour and I am really enjoying my time with it, they set up the story rather quickly. Your a adventurer named Baldren (Or whatever you want, like The Legend of Zelda games) and you get pushed into a portal or something by this evil dude. Once in you discover you are in Rainbow Moon, you have also unleashed a whole mess of monsters into the peaceful world, so now you need to find a way home and save Rainbow Moon. Honestly the story is not that great, but the characters I've met have been nice and well written, what you would expect a standard RPG background character to say.

So the game has two parts

• Walking around talking to people and exploring the areas.
    • Turn based combat,

Now the walking around bit is what you would expect, theres no jumping or anything complicated just walking around. You can talk to NPC's who will give you quests, trade with you, heal you or just some random banter. Around the environment you will find treasure chests full of goodies and then you will find enemies, which is where the combat comes in. The combat at first is quite easy, It was just me against one or two of these flying imp creatures. As well as turn based it also works on a grid system, I haven't played anything like it but I think this is what Fire Emblem is like. For example say you have one turn, you can either move or attack or defend or use an item or escape. Where I am in the game you need to be one block away from an enemy to attack, so you need to move to get closer to an enemy and then attack. Later in the game the enemies get a lot tougher, when they introduced these bee things that took away double the damage than the imps.

Thats where the points come into play, basically when you beat enemies you will get a certain amount of these orbs. With these orbs you can dump them into certain attributes, Strength, Defence, Speed, Luck, Hit points and Mana points. Its weird how its structured though because to increase one strength you need 4 orbs but to increase one defence you need 10 orbs. The game recommends early on you increase strength and speed, I did just that and I'm very glad i did. I'm now one shotting those fucking bees! The game also has a fantastic art style, it reminded me slightly of Muramasa and an old Final Fantasy game. I think it's all hand drawn, if so it really shows. The game has an equally awesome soundtrack, the battle theme especially is just amazing and reminded me of a game I have never even played, Chrono Trigger.

So yes this game is great, it's out now in Europe and comes out in the US on the 10th? Oh and did I mention this game is £9.99, (Even cheaper with PS+ Discount!)

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BlackLagoon

It looks interesting. Does it have the SRPG trope of you needing to delay accomplishing your objective until you've killed all other enemies in order to get full XP? I always hated that.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hizang

@BlackLagoon: I'm playing on easy normal and am not really having too much trouble with enemies, completed the first dungeon thus morning. There was a fair bit of have a few fights then go back to a healer and pay to get healed then come back and repeat. But there are different forms of combat though, for example there are set enemies that are physically on your screen, combat won't start unless you touch them. There almost always in your way but they usually stand still until you wish to engage. It will also tell you how many enemies are going to be in the fight and their level.

Then however there are random encounters, while walking around combat areas every so often a small indicator will come up saying random encounter, it will then list what enemies are in it and how many they are and there leveal. You are not forced into this and you can either ignore it or press X and get on in the fight. I've done a few random encounters but really I've had no need, there are plenty of enemies in the over world and generally speaking I think I'm slightly over levelled as I've been fighting every enemy I have come across.

To answer yo8 question I would say no, but I would recommend fighting every visible dude because once you've fought that fight it won't return and its gone forever. Leaving you to carry on or fight random encounters. I'm now 2 and a half hours in and just got a new member of my party, which is good as me against 6 dudes did get quite tough at times, especially those fucking guards. But then I went and dumped a load of points into Defence and those dudes who were hitting me for like 8 points are no hitting me for 0-2.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hizang

IGN seem to like it. (8/10)

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Alkaiser

What the hell is happening? A turn-based strategy rpg thats not on a portable? Combine this with the Jojo's fighting game, rereleases of 2 of my favorite fighting games of all time in one package, a rerelease of Nights which was one of my favorite games for the Saturn, a new PSO, a rerelease of Guilty Gear...

Oh good lord. I'm in a coma and I'm hallucinating all this aren't I? Shit. I'm going to be so upset when I wake up. "What? Strategy RPG? Thats crazy! Back to the handheld ghetto with you. Begone!"

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hizang

@Alkaiser: A Vita version is in the works I think, there seeing how well this one does first.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TobbRobb

0.28 into the video in the OP. That map screen looks A LOT like the FF tactics one. :P

That game seem cool! I like the art and this kind of gameplay style is a lot of fun. Though I'm really bad at it for some reason.

Never did finish tactics...

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By Svenzon

For some reason it left a sour taste in my mouth when they felt the need to brag about "endgame content" in a singleplayer game. Otherwise, it looks really good and I'm tempted to pick it up. Will there be a demo anytime soon?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hizang
    @Svenzon Well if your part of PS+ their is a trial.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Grissefar

@Hizang said:

@Alkaiser: A Vita version is in the works I think, there seeing how well this one does first.

@Hizang said:

Perhaps you should take a look at your homophones - if you know what I mean.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hizang
    @Grissefar I'm afraid I don't get the joke, sorry.
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Grissefar

@Hizang said:

@Grissefar I'm afraid I don't get the joke, sorry.

Ha ! Ha ! I guess not. Perhaps your just a little ignorant.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hizang

@Grissefar: Lol actually just pretty stupid.

So I've played about 4 and a half hours at it and just beat the first boss, the purple crystal monster. It was quite tough, I had to grind a little bit to buff up Trisha, but yeah dude those rock golems are a bitch!

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Svenzon

@Hizang said:

Only on PS+? Dang. I use my PS3 way too little to spend money on that.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hizang

@Svenzon: Well how about you just buy it, its dirt cheap and really awesome. Watch the IGN review.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Svenzon

@Hizang said:

@Svenzon: Well how about you just buy it, its dirt cheap and really awesome. Watch the IGN review.

Yeah, you're right. Checking out the IGN video right now!

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By azrailx

lookin forward to the game

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Yodasdarkside

Cannot wait to dl this tomorrow. Hopefully there's an early update like last week.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By azrailx

doubt it, if in doubt expect it to be late

i doubt a lot

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hizang

@Svenzon: So they guy who made the game mentioned me on twitter after I talked some good stuff about it, I then asked him will there be a demo. He said in a few weeks there will be a time limited demo lasting 90 minutes, so if you can hold off thats a pretty good demo.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JohnLocke

How much is the game on Playstation Plus?

Also, the IGN review seems to suggest the story is pretty average, is it enjoyable or will it not suck players in?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hizang

@JohnLocke: The story so far (I'm about 6 hours in) is kind of just there, it's just a reason to go to place to place. But what keeps you coming back is the game itself, it's pretty fun.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JohnLocke

Sounds good. Is the discount still on for EU Playstation Plus?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hizang

@JohnLocke: I do think so, but its just like a £2 off discount, so not too big of a discount.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JohnLocke

@Hizang: 20%, better in my pocket haha.

Thank you for the information. How are you getting along with this game, still enjoying it or not touched it recently?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hizang

@JohnLocke: As I mentioned I'm 6 hours in, played about 30 mins of it today and about an hour yesterday. Still enjoying it, finding myself under levelled right now so doing some grinding.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Sooty

Trailer makes it look like a mish mash of Devil Survivor and Clash of Heroes. I mean the combat!

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#28  Edited By beard_of_zeus

Thanks for all the input. There's not a lot of discussion about this game at the moment, so it's good to see some talk about it. I think I'll pick this up today, especially since there's a PS+ discount. $12 for what seems to be a solid game with lots of content sounds excellent. Plus, it's pretty rare to see a strategy RPG like this that's not on a handheld.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I've played about 30 minutes so far, and I can already tell this is gonna eat up a lot of my time. Right up my alley.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Yodasdarkside

Demo be damned, sir! I've only played half an hour of it and can recommend it without fear!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hizang
    @SpunkyHePanda@Yodasdarkside Glad to see more people enjoying it., I'm
    at a point now where it opens up a bit and I have multiple quests.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Addfwyn

I've been thinking about picking this up, but I have so much left to do in Disgaea 4...

DoublePlusRad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DoublePlusRad

I just got this. I'm about 3 hours in on hard. I recently got my first companion, which opens up strategy options a lot. So far I like it quite a bit. I started off on Hard / Adventuresome (no extra stuff at the beginning) and it made the first hour or so kind of a slog. I'm not sure what benefit that has (if any), but at this point I feel at least fairly powerful.

I don't know how I feel about only the person who gets the killing blow getting rainbow skill orbs. I thought they would be shared. Now I'm in a situation where my first guy is maxxed on everything with like 50 orbs left over and trisha needs a ton of them, which is leading to a bit of grinding.

I'ts pretty good times so far though. I definitely feel like it's worth the money.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hizang

@substandard: Trisha gets really good, she starts off kinda weak and it sucks that she can't hit somebody directly in front of her. But as soon as she learns the hit a guy in front of you skill she's awesome.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hizang

@MuftyRiots: I haven't made it to the third party member yet, but I'd wager he is a mage? In any case the way I helped Trisha was for Bauldran to run up and cut dudes down to low health then just defend until Trisha killed them. But now there both pretty strong.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hizang
    @MuftyRiots I was one of the first people on GB to play it now I'm falling behind, I need to buckle down and play this, but I'm very slow at these games as I always finding myself accepting random battles.
    Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Morrow

Combat reminds me a bit of Disgaea... I might try this :]

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Yodasdarkside

The only thing that's bugging me about it so far is the very limited misc. item slots. So far I've only been able to expand my recovery item slots at stores, but only ten slots for your food, water and torches as well as any scrolls you buy is not enough. Has anyone been able to get more of these slots? I'm only about 4 hours in and have just reached the other island.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Karkarov

Your the third person I have seen recommend this game.... Eh maybe I will take a look at it after I have cleared some other things up.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hizang

I burnt out on this game, it gets kind of overwhelming due to the fact this game is going to take forever of you doing pretty much the same thing.

Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PhantomGardener

@Hizang said:

I burnt out on this game, it gets kind of overwhelming due to the fact this game is going to take forever of you doing pretty much the same thing.

After how many hours did you stop?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hizang

@PhantomGardener: Hour 7, I had just got the boat and was on the second island.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.