First official Movie Trailer for Ratchet and Clank film released

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Below is the said trailer:

After watching the trailer for the first time, I think this looks like a fun little animated movie. It looks like its staying true to its source material, the animation looks great and we get to see a few glimpses of the weapons and gadgets that many Ratchet and Clank fans will recognize. I am still a bit worried for the film because the animation studio (Rainmaker) doesn't have a good track record, mainly making Barbie straight to video movies and Escape from Planet Earth, which wasn't well received. But I have my fingers crossed hoping that this film can break the wretched video game to movie adaptation curse and be decent.

It certainly has the tools to do so like having TJ Fixman (no pun intended) as the writer of the film. Fixman has been a writer for the Ratchet and Clank games since Tools of Destruction. Also, the games' voices for Ratchet, Clank, Qwark and Dr. Nefarious (try to spot him in the trailer), will all reprise their roles. Though some celebrities are in to lend their voices too, like Paul Giamatti voicing Chairman Drek, the main villain from the first game.

I don't know, looks better than The Angry Birds Movie, which releases three weeks after Ratchet and Clank.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Actually looks like it could be decent.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sylvester Stallone, wat? Has he voiceacted in an animated movie since Antz?

This looks like decent fun, seems to capture what the games have going on, more or less...and oh yeah, I guess Dr. Nefarious was a human at one point. Hope there's a sequel then, because I want to see him as his crazy robotic-self.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Looks cute.

A_E_Martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, Ratchet has never looked so cute.

epidehl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maaaan that "Look at these famous people that are in it but aren't going to play major characters!" at the end REALLY bothers me. Also, Paul Giamatti is no Kevin Michael Richardson.

Looks good though, glad Nefarious is in it (non-robot!) because he's kind of the best. Still probably looking forward to the "remake" of the first game more though.

HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By HarrySound

I'm kinda suspicious because this game is available for preorder at around £29.99 (I know this is the film trailer)

I know that's technically a million dollars and disgustingly expensive to our American friends but in the land of kings it's quite cheap.....as in budget title cheap.

Or did I miss something ?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

@harrysound: The new game is basically just a new take on the first game (a little more than just a remake). I guess maybe they don't think it should be full price for that reason? I don't know for sure.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9 csl316  Online

Surprised by how "professional" this looks. At first, I expected something more in line with the Heavenly Sword movie.

Could be a hit, to be honest. My nephews would be into this sort of thing.

And I chuckled and shook my head at the "kick some asteroid" line. They just won't get away from that stuff, will they?

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a huge fan of the first three games this looks like it might not be terrible.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harrysound: The new game is basically just a new take on the first game (a little more than just a remake). I guess maybe they don't think it should be full price for that reason? I don't know for sure.

It looks freaking great visually, though! Like Vinny mentioned in some Beastcast episode, a proper next-gen looking title.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By cornbredx

I don't really see where the concern comes from when all the production company needs to do is animate, the writer is what will bring the characters to life and they have the right one for the job.

On top of that they have the right actors as far as I know.

I mean, I'm no fan of Barbie videos, but as direct to video cartoons go, I don't recall them being poorly animated (trust me, there are some bad animated films that are direct to DVD).

I'm sure it will be fine. This is a weird thing, but I've actually been looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Edit: Oh, and the trailer looks like they're retelling the first game which is awesome. That's my favorite =)

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fuck yes. Opening day. Love Ratchet and Clank this looks great.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never really played the games, but that trailer looked fun. Could be a good movie.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How crazy would it be if Ratchet & Clank blew up and became this huge sensation that every kid was obsessed with?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

It looks exactly like the movie it should be. I'm pretty excited to see it. I loved TMNT, also by the same director. I was convinced it'd end up looking like one of those super cheap CG movies when they announced it.

Clank does look oddly squished though.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wikitoups

Fun fact: Rainmaker was Mainframe Entertainment, and made Reboot, Beast Wars, Shadowraiders, and yeh a ton of barbie movies.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ratchet and Clank is a major nostalgia trigger for me (got the original game randomly for Christmas, I still remember that), so I might give this a shot.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mosdl

I'm kinda suspicious because this game is available for preorder at around £29.99 (I know this is the film trailer)

I know that's technically a million dollars and disgustingly expensive to our American friends but in the land of kings it's quite cheap.....as in budget title cheap.

Or did I miss something ?

Its $40 in the US, which is probably the right price for what I assume won't be a very long game. And by going cheaper they might be able to sell more to the audience of the movie perhaps?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Somehow I think the stars might align for this one, seems like it could be a hit. There just seems to be the right mix of kid appeal, but stuff adults will chuckle at in the trailer.

Also arguably has a chance to be the best video game movie ever made, just due to the fact it's animated and already looks incredibly like the source material.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks really good actually, hope it delivers. I really hope that green dude isn't Doctor Nefarious as that would make no sense.

VelvetDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neondinosaur: It does make sense, at least kind of. In the Captain Qwark Vid-Comics in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal we see Dr. Nefarious in his earlier human(or alien?) form and how Qwark causes his transformation into the robot form. As this movie seems to be a retelling of the first game, having Dr. Nefarious in the movie doesn't make sense.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Do I just not see enough kids movie trailers? I felt like every 5 seconds there was another "announcer says something, something happens on screen, announced corrects himself" gag and it really rubbed me the wrong way. Well, hopefully it will be good regardless. I don't think I've ever played a Ratchet game outside of a GameStop demo kiosk.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer I noticed that too. Seems a bit try-hard. Ratchet & Clank is one of my favorite series though, and the writing and humor has always been one of its strong points. Disappointed to hear that the remake is a budget title though. We haven't had a full-blown R&C game since, uhh, Crack in Time? Into the Nexus was maybe half a proper R&C game. Looks like this one will probably be the same. I want a disgusting number of ridiculous weapons with stupid amounts of levels to grind for each of them dammit!

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I've been excited for this movie since it was announced, and it looks like my excitement will not be in vein. This looks delightful, especially as a huge fan of the games. Seeing it get this kind of treatment is heartwarming.

I will be there opening weekend, even if I have to go myself. Although...a grown man going to what many will just perceive as another kid's movie alone may be frowned upon.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really like the games, but I don't like the look or tone of this trailer. It reminded me too easily of past animation mediocrity like Planet 51, Space Chimps and Turbo. Now maybe this will turn out to be a surprise like Dreamwork's Home or at least something that shows promise like Hotel Transylvania instead of another dud à la The Penguins of Madagascar. I want it to be good as a fan of the franchise and of animation, but I have my concerns.

dudeglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

we're entering that weird period again where old franchises are being made anew.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@velvetdespair: Ah yes you're completely right I'd totally forgotten about that part in Up Your Arsenal. Still, it seems like an odd way to introduce the character as a side villain when he's arguably the central villain of the series.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I forgot this was even being made. Cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.