Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ratchet & Clank

Franchise »

The Ratchet & Clank series developed by Insomniac Games continues its success, by giving the fans the best from the previous installments, but also improving on the major gameplay elements.

Never played a Ratchet game, where should I start?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So I've never played a Ratchet game, but now I want to jump in. Seems like there's so many of them though. Where should I start? Should I even try to go back to the first one and play in chronological order (although that seems like a lot of work and commitment lol)? Or should I just start with the 3 PS3 games? Or should I not even do that and just jump immediately to the newest title?

I feel similar to another poster in this forum where I loved 2D platformers back when but never really got into any 3D ones. Figured it was time to give a platformer another shot. So where should I start? I know Vinny said on a podcast a while back that new people should just jump straight to the newest one - what's everyone else think?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By GunstarRed

the first one 

they get better as they go along, 2 is better than 1 and 3 was the best until A crack in time which is easily the  greatest R&C game
    r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By r0k1ll

The new one.

TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheGodPoet

At least start with the 3rd one in the series Up Your Arsenal. In my opinion, it's the best Ratchet and Clank game in the entire series and you can start the story from there without having too many issues with characters mentioning the things that happened in past games. Also the Ratchet and Clank Future: storyline will be that much better. 

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GunstarRed
    @r0k1ll:
    I don't think the newest should be played without playing at least tools of destruction...It was a huge disappointment when it came out and that was only because of how much I loved the third game but to someone new to the series that doesn't want to grind through the earlier (incredibly awesome) games then  thats a pretty good place to start. 

edit - it also depends on what youre lookign for... 1, quest for booty and a crack in time have the most platforming elements wheras..2, 3, tools and deadlocked/gladiator are really very gun heavy. ACIT gets the blance to perfection.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @marioncobretti said:
    " the first one   they get better as they go along, 2 is better than 1 and 3 was the best until A crack in time which is easily the  greatest R&C game "
    No. The first one does not hold up well. It's not fun at all.
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CaptainTightPants

Play one old one then go to the new one,  trust me its really easy to get burned out on Ratchet and Clank. I played the first went to the second right after and just like Ryan i got a bit depressed at how similar they were and could not continue playing.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GunstarRed
    @SJSchmidt93:
     I played it like a month or so ago... it held up just fine, its a lot tougher than the others thats for sure  due to the health system.. I thought It played fine (but I am alsoa  huge R&C fanboy so y'know)
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Demyx

If anything, you must start with tools of destruction since it, quest for booty, and a crack in time seem to be connected, whereas the PS2 games weren't very connected at all.

I would recommend starting with going command and up your arsenal. I didn't like the first very much, at least after playing all the others.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By damswedon
    @SJSchmidt93 said:

" @marioncobretti said:

" the first one   they get better as they go along, 2 is better than 1 and 3 was the best until A crack in time which is easily the  greatest R&C game "
    No. The first one does not hold up well. It's not fun at all. "
    i agree, i don't know about the others but number 1 has all the normal platforming worlds.
    • ice world
    • water world
    • fire world
    • sand world
    • space world
    • city world
    • beach
    • war world.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Demyx:
    3 is kind of connected due to Dr nefarious... the problem with starting at  tools is that it really lost a lot of the humour...its just not very funny at all which is somethign I really want in a R&C game.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai

Start from the first one. Though you can skip Deadlock

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I bought Tools of Destruction, hoping that the game will also fill me in on what's happened so far in the story.
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Mordukai said:

" Start from the first one. Though you can skip Deadlock.  "

Deadlock was my favorite Ratchet game I played.  I just enjoyed the gameplay playing with my brother co-op.  I always see everyone hate on it but I can't understand why.

I'm real interested in the new one though, at this point I would probably just start there.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Mordukai:
    whats wrong with it?   I had a lot of fun with the multiplayer (although it's kinda useless now) and the game itself works just fine. 

I liked that it gave you all the star challenges to strive for and it has a SPIDER TANK! 

and you could unlock Ninja ratchet!
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nanikore
    @Mordukai: What? Deadlock was great.  

Anyway, you should start with the first one. It's full of humor and it's got Pokitaru, arguably the best planet in the Ratchet & Clank series.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I've been playing Tools of Destruction kind of off and on, and just really haven't enjoyed it much.  It's alright, but just feels very bland, nothing particularly impressive our stand out about it..  As someone who grew up playing platformers, I felt like I had played it a million times before. Disliked how much they play like third person action games rather than platformers as well.  Played the demo for Crack in Time and was thoroughly unimpressed there too.  When your main gameplay mechanic is ripping off Blinx the Timesweeper, there's something wrong.

But a lot of people seem to enjoy the games, so they're definitely worth trying.  Just thought I'd throw in my opinion.
    If you are going to start, Tools of Destruction, the start of the Future series seems like the best place.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai
    @marioncobretti: @nanikore:  
    It's because they stripped down all the platforming elements from the series which I loved. Note that I didn't say it's  bad game just different.  
    I can why you liked it so much but I think I was disappointed with it because it went in a totally different direction then what i expected it to be. Also, I fucking missed Clank. I just couldn't get into the whole "Arena" theme. 
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GunstarRed
    @Mordukai:

yeah...i missed clank too...he is in it though...kinda  When they got reunited in ACIT i got a little teary. 

(this is a lie , but I may ahve punched the air)
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By dichemstys

I'm playing the first now and it holds up well.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By dbz1995

Get the third one (So Ratchet and Clank 3). Still a great game.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I just cannot fathom how people can think Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal is the best in the series. Dude, it has nothing on Going Commando (the 2nd game in the series). The only thing Up Your Arsenal does better is the final boss... since Going Commando's boss is a joke. Other than that, UYA felt uninspired and the game had started showing its age at that point.

Anyway, I'd suggest starting with the first one. Though, be prepared to learn the skateboard arena bolt glitch if you're planning on beating the final boss. Doing it without the RYNO is a near-impossible feat.

Avatar image for secretagentratchet101
    SecretAgentRatchet101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first 3 games are arguably the best though the future trilogy plus into the nexus are great as well.

The best place to start is the first one, then second, and third, then tools of destruction, then quest for booty, then crack in time, then into the nexus ( if you keep on playing). Also the first 3 games are connected in many ways, as are the future trilogy games.

Size matters and secret agent clank aren't worth the time. Deadlocked is great, but is not a main game. All 4 one is good, but optional. Full frontal assault has a minor story element but over all isn't required. ( This is my opinion, and I love all these games but some were just better than others).

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Start with whichever you can get your hands on at a reasonable price. Don't bother playing every game either. I don't think a playthrough of an earlier game is really warranted and they're all pretty similar anyway. The PS3 games might not be the most fondly remembered, but the look a lot better and play better than the PS2 games, from my limited experience of the PS3 games, and I really think one game is enough to make an assessment of the series. Do you want more, then buy another game and play.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

The second or third one

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'd say 2, 3, and then ACiT would be a perfect playlist for newcomers.

If you're still interested in the series, it's up to you, but if you only play one do play ACiT. I consider it one of the greatest platformers ever made.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By csl316

5 year old post, you guys.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.