Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rec Room

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 01, 2016

A collection of various competitive games built from the ground up for VR.

When Polygon releases it's Rec Room video we will find out that Handibot is Griffin McElroy

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EmoHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EmoHobo

Right? I mean it's got his work all over it.

xGumby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad im not the only one.

EmoHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xgumby: It was his "Sweet Beautiful Boys" song during Paintball.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully Sony see this and bring back Home as some kind of VR fever dream

EmoHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Could you imagine Handibot in VR Home?

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just like how within days of release, Dan gets played by a human pretending to be a robot, while in episode 6 of the RE4 Super Replay on Game Informer, Dan calls in and fools the cast into thinking he is a robot.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rec Room reminded me so much of Digital Space Traveler I now want to buy a Vive just for it

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emohobo: Aside from the casual homophobia it does seem like a Griffin thing to do.

EmoHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: I actually just rewatched it and I totally forgot about THAT part.

TheMaxDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By TheMaxDaddy

I spend a lot of time in mcelroy land and they're all in Huntington recording their Seeso show. I don't know how much time he has for anything else right now.

I would love to see some cross over though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
    deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cdude9590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

EmoHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polekat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no because it doesn't sound like him at all.

EmoHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@polekat: Can't I believe? Also we need to clean up all that static in the Handibot video and find out if there's anything hidden.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@floydeo said:
    @emohobo said:

@planetfunksquad: I actually just rewatched it and I totally forgot about THAT part.

Did I miss something

There are two pretty distasteful homophobic jokes on the part of Handibot. I forget what the first one was, but the second one happens when Jeff is looking for the options to change his appearance and Handibot says something along the lines of, "You are trying to change your look to be less gay. Is this correct?"

The guys all call him out on it and it's an unfortunate smear on an otherwise hilarious and smart bit.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RickRockmann

@cdude9590: Oh, wow. Wow, holy shit. It looks like everyone in this video saw this dude on the VRodeo, and I don't think he knows that. Like, he's trying to do his "I'm pretending to be a bot" bit, but everyone he's interacting with is in on a different joke - "hey look it's that guy pretending to be a bot from Giant Bomb." They're playing along with him but he's not in on their joke, and that actually makes me feel really uncomfortable about this whole thing.

Man, accidental internet fame is crazy.

EmoHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickrockmann: I think on another thread on the giant bomb subreddit, someone mentioned messaging him and he said something like "The AI known as Handibot is aware of this." I'm trying to find it and I'm not having any luck, maybe it was said on this week's UPF.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@floydeo said:
    @emohobo said:

Did I miss something

There are two pretty distasteful homophobic jokes on the part of Handibot. I forget what the first one was, but the second one happens when Jeff is looking for the options to change his appearance and Handibot says something along the lines of, "You are trying to change your look to be less gay. Is this correct?"

The guys all call him out on it and it's an unfortunate smear on an otherwise hilarious and smart bit.

I think the first time he was repeating what someone else said; although he probably shouldn't have even said it, him still playing up the ignorant bot bit and repeating something offensive was still a little humorous.

The second time though, I don't know what brought it up. I like to think he was an innocent AI that is tainted by what humans say to him, and repeats the unfortunate bits being ignorant to their meanings, like a parrot.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dude had me sold up until I heard him say "Hi, Welcome to Handi-bot", he got his lines mixed up.

I'm willing to bet he is that studio's community manager or whatever and is just trying to entertain himself.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By maginnovision

@wheresderrick: He shouldn't even have said gay? Is this an internet thing?

He was trying to incorporate what people were saying into what he said. Even the second time. If you're trying to play a robot you're not processing what people are saying like you might normally you're trying to take what has been said and incorporate it into your "lines". I know it's really cool right now to be anti-anything mildly offensive to anyone but he didn't do or say anything wrong.

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maginnovision: "You are trying to change your look to be less gay. Is this correct?" is a shitty thing to say. Anywhere, not just on the internet, whether he's playing a part or not. He isn't a real robot, no one forced him to say it. No one is trying to be cool by not liking shitty things. Stop being so offended by what people do or don't like.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maginnovision: It still baffles me that people try to defend someone saying something offensive, even if it is minor.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Well that was a fun thought. Internet always gotta argue.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@maginnovision: It still baffles me that people try to defend someone saying something offensive, even if it is minor.

Because if anyone complains about something offensive, they're just "SJW's" who get offended at everything and are ruining the fun. /s

Seriously though, that kind of joke is pretty asinine and I don't think it was meant with any kind of malice. Definitely put me off him though.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WynnDuffy

Anyone has the right to be offended in the same way anybody has the right to find your state of being offended strange.

The only gay people I have known would be just as likely to take part in that kind of humour as anybody else.

There is real hate and slurs being spread online and Handibot in comparison was tame, the kind of humour you'd likely see in our everyday lives depending on the age group or content you look at. A lot of people use "gay" to describe something bad, I used to do it myself but stopped because it's a bit immature - but that's all, immature, not hateful. It was never hateful, for most people it is not said for hatred of homosexuals.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Character Of The Year 2016?

He has to be in the running, surely.

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasoncooke: not sure anyone called it hateful there fella. Like you said, it's immature. It was a little jarring amongst the actual funny stuff and, on topic of the thread, not very Griffin-esque.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jasoncooke: that usage leads people to associate being gay with something bad. I can't imagine it's easy coming out when the word is used like that. Sure there exists worse hate speech on the Internet, but that's not the point of conversation. When a large group of people say they are hurt by language like that, it is not up to someone outside the group to determine whether or not their feelings are valid or not.

EmoHobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Handibot if you are out there, watching this thread, please make a giant bomb account, say hello. Flaws and all you've got a great gimmick.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I'm just bitter over this asshole's dusty ass "gay" jokes, but the only thing I thought was funny over the entire shtick was when they botched their lines and said something like "welcome to Handibot, I'm Rec Room."

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@maginnovision: "You are trying to change your look to be less gay. Is this correct?" is a shitty thing to say. Anywhere, not just on the internet, whether he's playing a part or not. He isn't a real robot, no one forced him to say it. No one is trying to be cool by not liking shitty things. Stop being so offended by what people do or don't like.

Offended by what someone says, then finishes with "stop being so offended"". Ooookay!

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe that comment isn't great. I think the joke is more that a naïve robot is vaguely homophobic, less about reinforcing any stereotypes. But really, this a improved line coming right off the dome. Some slack is needed.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasoncooke: not sure anyone called it hateful there fella. Like you said, it's immature. It was a little jarring amongst the actual funny stuff and, on topic of the thread, not very Griffin-esque.

Sorry I didn't mean this thread in particular, some other comments on the site and off the site are definitely that way.

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haxdax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only hope Handibot will become Alantutorial version 2.0

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xanadu

I feel like I'm reading a finger box thread on 4Chan where everyone is talking about something that doesn't exist to trick unsuspecting people. Seriously, what the hell are you guys talking about??

haxdax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu: watch the Rec Room portion of VRodeo 5 (from like 1 hour on). Basically a person in one of those social VR games playing the character of a robot helper.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

The problem with your comment is the term "minor". What's minor? If I say "that's crazy", is that a minor offense? Should I be chastised for it because it could offend someone with mental health problems? If I say, "that's a dumb thing to say", is that a minor offense? It could offend people that are mentally deficient. Should I go through life having to think of every single word I say and make sure it doesn't offend the millions of checkmarks out there, because a minor offense is somehow some horrible abomination.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Offence exists only in the mind of the offended. Its such a personal thing. I'm moving away from the Griffin theory. It's some other dude. Some other dude who has no other claim to fame.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@horseman6: Being more sensitive to others, yes, that would be a start.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone is offended from what another person said, no one has any right what so ever to tell them not to be. End of story.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JesusHammer

Do these conversations have to plague every single thing now? It's so tiring at this point.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @xanadu said:

If someone is offended from what another person said, no one has any right what so ever to tell them not to be. End of story.

What country is that law from?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it is someone from Polygon I would guess it's Justin McElroy, not Griffin.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

That locker room joke was hilarious, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.