Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

Anticipation

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I haven't felt like this since high school, obsessing over every screenshot and video of GTA IV I could get my hands on. I'm in class right now but I don't expect to learn anything haha. Weird to feel like a kid again, hope some of you are nerding out with me. Nothing quite so special as a Rockstar game, but I thought they really failed with GTA V. Seems like from all accounts this takes that focus back.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The hyperbole seems about the same as when GTAV came out. Like look at these blurbs haha

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Kotaku review is good but also a lot.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nutter

@hayt: Hyperbole happens all the time, it’s gotten easy to ignore. My favorite instance was people fawning over Horizon Zero Dawn as the best thing out there on the open world front, only to immediately declare FUCK THAT NOISE! ZELDA, SON! a month or so later.

God of War sounds great, but I know the Bombcast kinda mellowed on it shortly after launch. Spiderman had a similar reaction.

I’m not saying these aren’t great games, but the hype gets a little carried away sometimes.

I bet Red Dead is pretty good, and I’ll probably snag it before year’s end. But I’ll be curious to see if it stands up to the praise, like Red Dead 1, or becomes more of a GTA IV or V, where it’s kinda shrugged at after the fact.

Note that I think GTA IV and V are both outstanding games, but people don’t hold them in nearly the regard they did for that first couple of weeks they were out.

EDIT: I’m currently putting off Red Dead while I replay Witcher 3 (which might be my favorite game...certainly my favorite of the last decade)...If Red Dead is half as good as the second review claims, I’ll be pleasantly shocked.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So I am guessing they were too enthralled by Red Dead over at GRY to proof read the paragraph being for metacritic.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@nutter: Yeah I agree regarding hyperbole. I really liked GTAV and I bet I'll like RDR2 as well but these almost tearful reviews are a bit much for me haha.

IBMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IBMer

That Kotaku blurb makes me want to vomit.

At least it's better than The Verge review who are complaining about the depiction of women in a period piece set in 1899... while simultaneously calling being a mother a "side role".

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By BoboBones

I love soaking in the talk about Red Dead Redemption 2. I feel like a kid!

I had no interest in God of War, (2018) so the hype earlier this year didn't get to me at all.

Like Super Mario World, or A Link to The Past, Red Dead Redemption was a landmark moment in my gaming history.

It probably sounds silly, but even after all these years, getting excited about a game release that I'm interested in is one of my favorite pleasures. I don't do it anymore due to health issues, but I greatly enjoyed going to a midnight release at my local game store with family or friends. We would go out to dinner, see a movie, or maybe grab some coffee and pie before getting the game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nowadays I'd much rather have enthusiasm and love for things rather than tired old bitter cynicism. Enough of that in the world today. And on steam forums.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.