Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

I'm terrible at gunfights

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

When a story mission puts me in a gun fight with allies and plenty of cover, I generally do okay, but when I'm out in the open and get ambushed or have a fight unexpectedly sprung on me, I very rarely win, and what's more, I die almost immediately. Do you guys have any advice on how to improve my fortunes?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By doctordonkey

Set the lock-on settings to "wide". This allows you to pretty much just press L2 in the general direction of an enemy and it will lock on. Then just move the reticle slightly upwards and headshot them. Rockstar games shooting feels bad unless you abuse lock-on.

Other than that, abuse the shit out of Deadeye. Use consumables if you know a fight is gonna break out, fortify those health/deadeye bars. The game gives you plenty of items, just chew that wacky tabacky and spam deadeye until everything is dead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

After you kill a guy do not continue to hold down L2 and move the reticle to the next guy. Instead let go of L2 aim in the general direction of the next dude and hold down on L2 again; rinse and repeat until you have conquered all your enemies. Rockstar's auto aim is there for a reason, imo.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By soulcake

Pump Action shotgun is a blessing it's really strong, and the generous auto aim definitely helps. (on by default).

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@sloppydetective: Based on limited data, this is the advice I needed. I don't like GTA so I don't play many Rockstar games. Thanks!

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@soulcake: can confirm that the Pump Action Shotgun is a beast. I was having a hard time with a bounty and died several times. After feeling very frustrated I ended up trying it again and pulled out the pump action, then loaded it with slugs. I was able to clear the whole camp of the bounties lackeys quickly. Hell, I blew one guys head clean off, it was beautifully gruesome.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Yeah, I agree that the pump shotgun with slugs makes things a lot easier. I still prefer the double barrel with slugs, it's probably not as good as the pump but it's still fun to use. Also using the sawed off with slugs as an offhand weapon is pretty nice.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game doesn't have the best sensitivity, but that said, I can't stand auto-aim. The easiest way to take enemies down without auto-aim is to make sure you have dead eye, and then zoom in/zoom out when necessary. I never tried the auto-aim in the game. I will say, and I know I'm not the only one that dealt with this, but I don't know how many others had, at the beginning of the game when you have to take out the wolves to protect John Marston, once they start coming down the hill, I must have died about five times before I got past it. It's the only time I had trouble with it, and it was frustrating as I felt like I was such a bad player. It was only after I finished the entire game and a handful of side missions where I went into the options menu and switched around the sensitivity options, as well as started playing in the third person.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

tap once to prime your gun, let rest for 1 sec and then shoot, you'll be far more accurate. also all you need to refill your cores is meat, so just always have deadeye. I'm mostly unkillable and Im always at max chewing tobacco, bodies almost always have some.

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only played about two hours, but I do what SloppyDetective does; click L2 when I shoot one person, let go, and then let autoaim do it's job when I click L2 to get teh next person.

I will say it's a far more relaxing way of shooting than having to manually aim like in a fps. Unrealistic? Sure. But it gets me to feel like a good shooting outlaw.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@hatking said:

Dual wielding is a huge bonus too. It doesn't seem to make you fire any less accurate, and you can shoot twice as quickly for twice as long if you have two revolvers equipped.

Wouldn't shooting twice as quickly for twice as long require 24 rounds and not 12?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a similar concern which I eventually just solved by Shooting First constantly.

Sometimes there's an honor hit but it's usually reasonably obvious when someones about to draw on you, and at that point the game stops really caring who you gun down.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#15 sweep  Moderator

Once you get to a certain point in the game you'll have an abundance of money and can freely upgrade your guns and buy as much express ammo as you can carry. After that I found that with certain rifles I was one-shotting everyone and gunfights were pretty straight forward - you just have to get into the practice of using the lockon, half-releasing it and then pressing it down again so it snaps to the next target. Also, if you get jumped in the open then your first reaction should always be to just pop dead-eye asap and take out/stagger as many enemies as possible.

One other tip I haven't seen mentioned here is the weight mechanic in the game - if you're overweight you can take more damage (but your stamina takes a hit) and vice versa, so if you find you're getting dropped too quickly maybe start eating more stew? :P

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I’ve been using the first person mode with gunfights. You can see more clearly where you’re aiming at on an enemy and feels more accurate.

Deo_Brando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont be upset. Maybe you are good at something else?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.