Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

RDR2 Leaks according to Trusted Reviews

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

So this is major news that is popping up on video game sites and boards, but online publication Trusted Reviews claims they have received alleged development notes about the upcoming release of Red Dead Redemption 2. This news has certainly gotten more people even interested in RDR2 than they were before as honestly, these leaks contain some major modes and serious notes about the game's story. If you want to read the article yourself, here's the link. If you are hesitant on reading the leaks, I'll place a spoiler block below so for those who don't want to know about the RDR2 leaks don't have to see them but those who are intrigued can click on the spoiler tab and see a bullet note list of the alleged leaks for RDR2 are based on Trusted Reviews' development notes. Also keep in mind that leaks almost never end up being entirely true so take these notes with a grain of salt.

• There will be 3 different online modes in RDR2:
      • The first and what will likely be the most popular mode is a "Battle Royale" mode. It seems like this mode might be the reason for the delay to October 26 of 2018 since Rockstar appears to be trying to piggy bank on the success of PUBG and Fortnite.
      • "Revive and Survive" sounds like a Team Death Match multiplayer mode where it pits 2 teams against one another and whichever team has more survivors wins. Players also have a restricted amount of time to revive their teammates before they are out of the match.
      • "Money Grab" is a mode where two teams fight over collecting bags of money in a specific location and must place these bags in the teams' bases.
    • The Open World will be modeled after what Rockstar accomplished in GTA Online, but there's suppose to be more depth in the world building such as NPC's decorating storefronts at specific times of the day.
    • There will be rewards for doing tasks like assassinating someone with a bow that could be over 100 meters away.
    • The Apartment-in-GTA-Online equivalent will be tents that can be bought in the open world, each having diverse themes and can be used to enhance the player's skills.
    • Online Play has many shops and NPC's that the player can interact with and that is where they can gather equipment and partake in missions. There are also Free Events such as Treasure Hunts and death matches that the player can choose to participate in.
    • Supposedly the development notes claim there will be a companion app that will launch alongside RDR2 that contains social elements and a poker minigame.
    • Allegedly you can participate in plenty of online recreations such as gold mining, fishing, herding and countless variants of weapon challenges.
    • In single player, there will be access to all sorts of towns each having a set of NPC's like gunsmiths, general store owners and undertakers. Also gambling in the form of poker appears to make a return.
    • A Slums Market will be available if you want to purchase items at a lower price.
    • Vehicles will include minecarts, handcarts and horse drawn carriages and each vary from being armored to fast versions of those vehicles.
    • The document received by Trusted Reviews hints at you accessing railroad trains to fast travel to different areas of the open world. You can also walk around in these trains and communicate with NPC's.
    • Side activities appear to be present in the story mode.
    • Horsemanship challenges are there for players to rise your rider ranks (I guess improve your horse riding skills?) and in case if people want to go fishing, there are suppose to be a wide variety of fish to catch.
    • Plants and Herbs can be obtained if players want to get into crafting what sounds like medicine and potions? Varieties supposedly include Clamshell, Ghost, Spider Orchids and more.
    • Going further on the fishing, there are different baits and tackles to choose from. A can of worms is also a potential item.
    • RDR2 will allow a first person mode for both the single player and multiplayer modes.
    • Dead Eye will come back with the inclusion of skills like tracking bounties on land and detecting what types of animals and fish are close to you.
    • Certain player actions and decisions will alter how the story's events unfold based on which characters you interact with. These include various mission outcomes, objectives and dialogue that will change based on how the player behaves.
    • A Wanted Level will return and depending on the player's behavior, will increase and decrease.
    • What's considered a less severe crime is attacking pedestrians, but much more severe crimes include holding up a saloon and killing every civilian in a town or location.
    • According to the document, it says that if enemies have a specific injury or thrown off of a horse's back, you can elicit contextual dialogue and force them to give you details or money as a price for letting them live.
    Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Panfoot

@mocbucket62 said:
    • The Open World will be modeled after what Rockstar accomplished in GTA Online

Welp that means disregard the online completely for me, not that it's a huge surprise.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The only thing I care about from this is that theyre continuing the 1st/3rd person choice from the gtav remaster.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not knowing anything about the credibility of this, the "delay to include a new online mode" thing sounds not very likely at all to me considering how they put out the online stuff for gta v. Online shit not being done at release (or even way after that) has neither stopped them to release a game nor hurt them in the past.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Not knowing anything about the credibility of this, the "delay to include a new online mode" thing sounds not very likely at all to me considering how they put out the online stuff for gta v. Online shit not being done at release (or even way after that) has neither stopped them to release a game nor hurt them in the past.

With how much money GTAV Online has made them, I could very easily see them delaying the game so online can launch at release. GTAV online is a cash cow, why wouldn't they want to do everything they can to ensure RDR2's online launches at release?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yes but the online mode in GTAV has made vastly more money than selling copies of that game did. Companies have to adapt for the times and this time round Multiplayer is going to be the focus of the game, not a tacked-on feature like it was in IV.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: I doubt it, and to be honest I am okay with that. I think with GTA 5 it was necessary (well, okay it was to me at least) and made that game easier to appreciate. It became one of my favorite open world games due to that (top three, alongside The Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 1). The thing is, Red Dead Redemption worked perfectly fine with the third person alone. The only way I would want a first-person camera view is if they reverted back to not having over the shoulder aiming, which GTA 5 lacked. It made it an easy choice for me when it came to playing GTA 5. I don't want to struggle with figuring out which one I prefer in RDR2 if it's similar to the first Red Dead in terms of third-person controls. That said, I am hoping all GTA games from here on out retain a first-person mode as it works in that type of environment.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By notnert427

I really hope they're putting as much work into the single-player as they are the multiplayer, but it's starting to seem more and more like that isn't the case. The fact that GTA Online is basically printing money isn't helping. I want RDR2 to be a period piece of sorts where I can lose myself in a Western. I'm concerned about the tire fire that is GTA Online (userbase of mostly awful people doing mostly awful things in increasingly ridiculous anarchy) spoiling things. It is highly unlikely that I'll engage with whatever multiplayer the game has regardless, but if the single-player becomes some half-assed, throwaway thing in favor of selling unicorn horse skins and similarly dumb shit on the multiplayer, it will be a massive disservice.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@williamhenry said:

Why would they, though? GTA V mp became that cash cow and it didn't even launch with the game and then was forever broken.

Also, has everyone forgotten about "The Benz"? The big online proponent at R* who got fired by the Housers, the story guys from R*?

I'm not saying it would be unreasonable to delay it for the mp (though it would be allegedly only PART of the mp, which again makes it less likely to me). But R* is kinda making it's own rules, and they can because they have been wildly succesful doing so. It is safe to assume that RDR2 will be a massive game and that seems like a much more likely justification for a delay than just "they are adding another mp mode".

@bollard: Are there actual numbers out there for that? Like, I don't doubt they are making crazy money off of that, but they also sold an unbelievable amount of copies across two generations of consoles. And it's a game that barely ever seems to get any discounts beyond half price, too, even during steam sales.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RDR2 looks like R2D2.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MiniPato

@hans_maulwurf said:

@williamhenry said:

Why would they, though? GTA V mp became that cash cow and it didn't even launch with the game and then was forever broken.

Also, has everyone forgotten about "The Benz"? The big online proponent at R* who got fired by the Housers, the story guys from R*?

I'm not saying it would be unreasonable to delay it for the mp (though it would be allegedly only PART of the mp, which again makes it less likely to me). But R* is kinda making it's own rules, and they can because they have been wildly succesful doing so. It is safe to assume that RDR2 will be a massive game and that seems like a much more likely justification for a delay than just "they are adding another mp mode".

Could be the opposite in that they are reeling back the cash cow potential. Maybe they had loot boxes and real money currency, but the all the controversy around Battlefront 2 had them rethink their progression model. Usually R* does their own thing regardless of other devs, but actual real world governments intervening and regulating gambling in videogames could have made them reconsider.

Should just be safe to assume they need more time in the oven though.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm sure the game will be very good but none of these bullet points do anything for me. (if anything i'm less excited now than I was)

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hans_maulwurf

@minipato: I'm sure the loot box backlash caught many a dev off guard and R* might very well be one of them. But yeah, in this case I doubt there is a singular reason for the delay and it's more a general (not very unexpected) case of "we need more time".

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RonGalaxy

@ntm: None of the points you made make sense to me. Gtav worked perfectly fine without the 1st person option too... When the game launched (and existed for years) without one. RDR is the same exact game, but with a different setting. So why wouldn't it benefit from it the same way GTAV did?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By BaneFireLord

The changing story stuff sounds neat. I hope it’s more than the “end of game binary choice” they’ve had in the past GTA games and more along the lines of something like Black Ops II.

Also, for what it’s worth (I don’t have any easily conveyed proof and wouldn’t want to narc on the person even if I did), a lot of the other single player details track with what a Rockstar dev I know hinted to me a few months ago, so this all seems pretty legit.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Goddamn this game is going to be fucking incredible...just needs a Oregon Trail mode and I'll play it forever.

(hell and if its anywhere near as good as the first game, which I played a shit ton, I will any way)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@bollard: Are there actual numbers out there for that? Like, I don't doubt they are making crazy money off of that, but they also sold an unbelievable amount of copies across two generations of consoles. And it's a game that barely ever seems to get any discounts beyond half price, too, even during steam sales.

An estimated 78% of GTA V's revenue came through add-on content in GTA:Online as of July 2017 (source: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/58516/gta-online-earned-1-09-billion-analyst-firm/index.html).

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Captain_Insano

I love RDR and have no interest at all in the GTA online stuff.

However, having loved PUBG (in spite of its flaws) and, really liking RDR, the concept of a Wild West Battle Royale mode. Well

No Caption Provided

cubidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping they don't monetize the hell out of the multiplayer like they are doing with GTA5. Seriously if that game didn't have micro transactions, it would be one of the most fun multiplayer games ever made. Then again, maybe we never would have gotten years of awesome updates without the micro transactions supporting them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

@rongalaxy: Whoops! I didn't read the spoilers above; didn't want it spoiled. I just read that the game might have first person. That's fine and I might use it if it's in there, but still, if it didn't I wouldn't have minded as long as it had over the shoulder switching. That to me made GTA 5 not like Red Dead Redemption or Max Payne 3: it was less enjoyable due to it. It wasn't the same to me. Also, yes 'working perfectly fine' was a poor choice of words. The game was much better in the first person because it alleviated the over the shoulder switch aiming issue I had, it was also just more immersive. It also allowed for infinite toggle sprinting while in third person you were stuck with tapping or holding the sprint button. My point was about it not being as necessary. You must have just not cared for the fact GTA 5 lacked over the shoulder aim switching; it bothered me. Eh... I'll probably be playing the game in first person mode now. Maybe.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After PUBG blew up I thought about how that kind of online mode would work incredibly well in RDR2 so I'm not surprised they're adding it (if the rumors are true).

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By shaggydude

GTA 5 is also just the 3rd best selling game ever with something like 85 million copies sold, so if you figure even a small portion of those people play the online and spend money on it, Rockstar stands to make plenty of money off of GTA and really any game they set up with a similar economy. You can bet Red Dead 2 will have some crazy high dollar items in the online right out of the gate that will take forever to farm, or buy this shark card and you can get it tonight!

I never spent a dime on the microtransactions in GTA Online and I still enjoy the game sometimes- my enjoyment has nothing to do with having all the crazy high dollar expensive stuff in the game and seeing as how there is no level cap I saw a long time ago that it would mean the game would be endless and there wouldnt be much point to throwing more $ at it. There isn't really anything you could call "end game" in GTA:O either except the heists and even those you don't even need to be like level 50 to do them.

They just trickle in a mix of new content- some for whales (like the yachts and planes) but most of it is clothes and cosmetic stuff everyone can afford just from doing a few missions.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hans_maulwurf

@bollard: I don't want to belabor this point endlessly and I'm obviously not an economist or anyone with a deeper understanding of how business works. But I just can't believe that the supposedly 85 Mio. (according to gamespot via wikipedia) shipped copies of the game only equate to about 300 Mio. in revenue. There has to be some caveat to how these numbers of 78% of revenue through gta online content are correctly interpreted. 1.4 billion in general doesn't seem like a lot for this kind of crazy succesful game.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wardcleaver

@notnert427 said:

I really hope they're putting as much work into the single-player as they are the multiplayer, but it's starting to seem more and more like that isn't the case. The fact that GTA Online is basically printing money isn't helping. I want RDR2 to be a period piece of sorts where I can lose myself in a Western. I'm concerned about the tire fire that is GTA Online (userbase of mostly awful people doing mostly awful things in increasingly ridiculous anarchy) spoiling things. It is highly unlikely that I'll engage with whatever multiplayer the game has regardless, but if the single-player becomes some half-assed, throwaway thing in favor of selling unicorn horse skins and similarly dumb shit on the multiplayer, it will be a massive disservice.

Agreed. I have the exact same concerns.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This all makes senses.....unfortunately. the best online mode in RDR was the Undead Nightmare Zombie mode thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.