Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Coming 2017 to Xbox One and Playstation 4

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Fruitcocoa
    No Caption Provided

Hold your horses!

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/

Not much too go on, but the trailer will arrive on thursday.

Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

Who's excited?! I am!

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Good. I will probably play this.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No PC announcement?

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Holy shit no PC. After all of GTA V's success on the platform.

Holy shit, unbelievable these guys are.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone said:

No PC announcement?

Hold on. Yeah, what the heck? Then again GTA V was the last big game I played on the last gen consoles, so this would be kind of fitting.

Guybrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I bet PC comes early 2018. GTA didn't release on PC at the same time either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

My guess is that if anything the launch would be in Fall of 2017 but PC release would be late 2017, early 2018. GTA V on PC was released much later than on console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No PC no care I got other shit to play.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Awesome =)

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't a "Fall 2017" release kind of lurk towards Scorpio territory? That would kind of have to be the best version of the game before the likely delayed PC release.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

They really just called it Red Dead Redemption 2? How completely unimaginative. No Red Dead Renegade, no Red Dead Revolution. just Red Dead Redemption Number Two.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By militantfreudian

Later than I expected, but at least now I have one game to look forward to next year. I would've thought they'd go with a different subtitle than "Redemption."

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There must be a pc version....eventually?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: Not really. The PS3 was more powerful than an Xbox 360 and the PS3 version of GTA V didn't run much better than the 360 version did. It depends on how easy it is for them to take advantage of it and if they decide it's worth the effort of developing for an as yet unreleased piece of hardware being released by a company currently trailing behind in the console market place.

Based on Rockstars past behaviour, I wouldn't expect them to bring any bells and whistles to a Scorpio version unless MS fronted them truck loads of money.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Hayt

Surely the lack of PC in this announcement just means it's not launching the same time as PS4 and Xbox One. There's no way they'd totally skip PC. Think of all the "Prospector's Gold™ Best Value" packs they could sell.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm a little annoyed that they appended a number to the title, rather than doing "Red Dead <blank>", but aside from that I'm pretty excited. Judging by the number of dudes standing in the image, perhaps Rockstar is looking to channel The Magnificent Seven? It would be a cool way to expand on the multiple protagonists mechanic introduced in GTA V.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

A PC version has got to be coming but these motherfuckers are going to make me buy a console now.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I implore you, that this will probably be guuud.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: I'd be shocked if the game didn't run at least a little smoother on the PS4 Pro and Xbox "Scorpio". And I think that throwing a few dollars at Rockstar to give the Scorpio version a few visual improvements would be a really easy marketing tactic for Microsoft. "The best platform to play the most anticipated game of the season" or something like that. I mean Sony could do the same, but the timing of the release just happens to coincide better with the marketing push that Microsoft will have to make late next year.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead Redemption was a heinously overrated game, lets hope they can come up with a better character than Marston.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will wait for PC version. Hype.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Dead Redemption was a heinously overrated game, lets hope they can come up with a better character than Marston.

I have some bad news for you: they came up with younger John Marston.

We will be over here awaiting another heinously overrated sequel.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

No PC is a major bummer but I honestly loved the first one so much that if they do a staggered release I might do as I did with GTA and play on Xbox/Ps4 first then pick it up again on sale on PC.

Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
    jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, really disappointed by the name. Implies that people aren't smart enough to understand that a game called Red Dead (some other words) would be a sequel to red dead redemption. Also redemption was actually somewhat about redemption, and, unless this new game is very thematically similar, it should have a title that reflects what its actually about.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, from Rockstar:

Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until this game releases on pc it is irrelevant to me. If they think I want to wait a year and a half again like was the case for GTA V I'll gladly forget the game exists and just spend my money elsewhere. It's not like I can go that long without having the game spoiled for me anyway. This whole thing is pretty unbelievable given how much success they've had with GTA V on pc.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess the title means that we'll get the continuing adventures of one Mr. Marston? This being a numbered sequel should at least be a pretty good indicator that this won't be a prequel, as some people speculated. Anyway, considering there are seven people in that teaser image, I actually think we'll get to play seven different people.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bojackhorseman said:

Guess the title means that we'll get the continuing adventures of one Mr. Marston? This being a numbered sequel should at least be a pretty good indicator that this won't be a prequel, as some people speculated.

uhhhh......... clearly you did not play Red Dead Redemption.

Red Dead Redemption was about the death of the Wild West as well. This has to be a prequel. I think there are a few characters you can pretty safely link to Dutch's gang in RDR in that picture.

Hey we will see if I'm wrong though. I get why people are saying something based on it being "2" not being a prequel but there's not really anything preventing that with a prequel or any basic way to do the equivalent of numbering for a prequel.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snowypliskin said:

I have some bad news for you: they came up with younger John Marston.

We will be over here awaiting another heinously overrated sequel.

Yeah, let's hope they make a deep character with a arc, like Sub Zero or Snake Pliskin.

Come on guys. John Marston is one of the best video game characters of all time. A highly likable but flawed guy, and an unstoppable quote machine. Favorite quote of the first game: "It's no secret I didn't get these scars by falling over at church".

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman said:

Guess the title means that we'll get the continuing adventures of one Mr. Marston? This being a numbered sequel should at least be a pretty good indicator that this won't be a prequel, as some people speculated.

Red Dead Redemption was about the death of the Wild West as well. This is a prequel.

Unless it's about Jack Marston.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@howardian said:

My guess is that if anything the launch would be in Fall of 2017 but PC release would be late 2017, early 2018. GTA V on PC was released much later than on console.

Which begs the question: was PC included in the initial announcement for GTA V or not? Some research needs to be made.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman said:

Red Dead Redemption was about the death of the Wild West as well. This is a prequel.

Could have sworn I spent 200+ hours on the game, but hey, you probably know me better than I do. If they switch up the locations, I see no problem with this being set in the same era.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gkhan

Man, I was hoping for another "Re" word. "Red Dead Revolution" (about the Mexican Revolution, maybe?). "Red Dead Retrograde". "Red Dead Reaver". "Red Dead Recalibrated". Or something.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No PC version, no sale :(

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bojackhorseman: I was referencing the "continuing adventures of Marston" line because..... HE GETS MURDERED.

@jesus_phish said:
    @artisanbreads said:
    @bojackhorseman said:

Unless it's about Jack Marston.

I really don't possibly see it. Based on my speculation stuff, I really think it's John and the old Dutch gang, but beyond that, they left the Wild West period at the end of the last game. That's really the whole point of how the game wraps up. The government murders John, there is no room for the cowboy/outlaw with a heart of gold archetype in the cold, unromantic modern era of government control.

By the end of the game, you are killing off the last of the natives, you are getting modern weapons, like high powered handguns and maxim guns. It's the end of the West. This just has to be a prequel.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Milkman

I'm gonna be one of those guys that's annoyed that they called it Redemption 2 and didn't come up with a new R word. But yeah, sure, I'll play that.

FloppySnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FloppySnake

Why are they bothering making a sequel to Redemption when it was the death of the Wild West?

Mildly pissy PC user here, but god damn I don't wanna play this on my PS4. It'll run like the original did on PS3.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman: I was referencing the "continuing adventures of Marston" line because..... HE GETS MURDERED.

Yes, but that's not the end of the game. Hence why I said Mr. Marston, and not John or Jack Marston, as not to spoil anything.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads said:
    @bojackhorseman said:

Could have sworn I spent 200+ hours on the game, but hey, you probably know me better than I do. If they switch up the locations, I see no problem with this being set in the same era.

He's dead.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bojackhorseman: As I say above, I really don't see how anyone could think that based on how hard the entire back end of RDR is hammering home that the Wild West is dead but we will see when they show it. I feel extremely confident though.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: One of them is... Did people just turn off the game after the credits?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite the unimaginative name and no PC version, the hype cannot be contained!

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By Atwa

Another game where PC will come 6 months after?

God damnit. Makes sense, a lot of people I know have bought GTA V at least two times.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@horseman6 said:
    @howardian said:

Which begs the question: was PC included in the initial announcement for GTA V or not? Some research needs to be made.

This is the best I could find quickly; http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/45951/grand-theft-auto-v-is-coming-spring-2013.html

Essentially "Today, we're proud to announce that Grand Theft Auto V is expected to launch worldwide spring 2013 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3." no mention of PC at first, then roughly 2 years later there's an announce that GTA V is coming to Xbox One, PS4 and PC. Dear lord I hope it doesn't take 2 years.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: One of them is... Did people just turn off the game after the credits?

If that's what you meant, you said continuing.... not like you hardly did anything as the character you are referencing. I think you could easily see how someone wouldn't know what you were talking about.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First one was fun for a few hours then got mundane like pretty much all their games do for me.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By paulmako

Does no-one remember Metal Gear Solid 3? A numbered entry can be a prequel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.