Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Coming 2017 to Xbox One and Playstation 4

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@horseman6 said:
    @howardian said:

Holy shit no PC. After all of GTA V's success on the platform.

Holy shit, unbelievable these guys are.

My guess is that if anything the launch would be in Fall of 2017 but PC release would be late 2017, early 2018. GTA V on PC was released much later than on console.

Which begs the question: was PC included in the initial announcement for GTA V or not? Some research needs to be made.

Nope. The initial announcement was Xbox 360 and PS3. Then I believe they announced the PC, PS4, and Xbox One versions of the game, and then delayed the PC version by a few months.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman said:

@planetfunksquad: One of them is... Did people just turn off the game after the credits?

If that's what you meant, you said continuing.... not like you hardly did anything as the character you are referencing. I think you could easily see how someone wouldn't know what you were talking about.

Yeah, it was the continuing thing that threw me off. I'd hardly call anything you did with Jack an "adventure" ha.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By WheresDerrick

I do not like this name for several reasons.

1. Calling it "Redemption 2" means even more people will think its the second game in the Red Dead series when it is actually the third.

2. If the rumors are true that it is a prequel to Redemption, why name it 2? Imagine Phantom Menace was named Star Wars 4 and then Force Awakens was still Star Wars 7, they'd be all over the place.

3. It just doesn't look or sound right. Having Redemption and then a subtitle wouldn't have been any better, so why not just continue keeping it in line with the series and having it be another R- word?

I know thats not him, but that looks an awful lot like Red Harlow directly in the middle. If that is indeed him I can forgive any wrongdoing

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By mellotronrules

they missed a real marketing opportunity by passing on the working title (credit: gerstmann)

grand theft horse.

REAL TALK: i bet they have a proper title reveal when the trailer is released. i highly doubt rockstar would just slap a 2 on it- they have a borderline fetish for title cards, especially in the most recent red dead.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@artisanbreads said:
    @bojackhorseman said:

@planetfunksquad: One of them is... Did people just turn off the game after the credits?

If that's what you meant, you said continuing.... not like you hardly did anything as the character you are referencing. I think you could easily see how someone wouldn't know what you were talking about.

Yeah, it was the continuing thing that threw me off. I'd hardly call anything you did with Jack an "adventure" ha.

Yep. And really it just feeds further into the "Wild West is dead" messaging. You just murder a guy and that's it.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome. I don't like anything Western but I loved Red Read Redemption.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@paulmako said:

Does no-one remember Metal Gear Solid 3? A numbered entry can be a prequel.

You are totally right and now that you mention it I remember people trying to say it was Solid Snake too though.

2. If the rumors are true that it is a prequel to Redemption, why name it 2? Imagine Phantom Menace was named Star Wars 4 and then Force Awakens was still Star Wars 7, they'd be all over the place.

You mean almost like having the first Star Wars movie be part IV?

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original was maybe my favorite game of the last generation along with Mass Effect 2, and I couldn't care less about no PC version. Name bugs me though, like others have mentioned. Not that its not a new R word, but that Marston was actually trying to "redeem" himself after his life of crime from before the first game. So, if this IS a prequel as it seems, what the hell is he getting "redemption" from this time? If dude is bad enough that he need two separate, full games to get redemption twice, maybe he is just the typical Rockstar piece of shit protagonist after all hahaha.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By WheresDerrick

@artisanbreads said:
    @wheresderrick said:

You mean almost like having the first Star Wars movie be part IV?

And they made it make sense; the prequels are 1-3, the original trilogy is 4-6, and the newest stuff continuing after the original trilogy is 7-9.

They didn't release in that order, but when you look at it as a whole, it makes sense in a nice ordered timeline.

If Redemption 2 is indeed a prequel, then the order would be "Redemption 2 - Redemption"

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@horseman6 said:
    @howardian said:

My guess is that if anything the launch would be in Fall of 2017 but PC release would be late 2017, early 2018. GTA V on PC was released much later than on console.

Which begs the question: was PC included in the initial announcement for GTA V or not? Some research needs to be made.

It was not. Because I remember a lot of console fanboys being very happy that the game was "never" coming to PC.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@wheresderrick: Is this really something to get so hung up on dude? It goes Metal Gear Solid 3 to MGSV to Metal Gear Solid. Who cares.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By YoThatLimp

So bummed about not announcing a PC version, I might have to start thinking about a PS4 Pro or Scorpio in my future.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By BelowStupid

I'm surprised that they just kind of... announced it. They've been so secretive, for so long I was expecting them to make a bigger announcement day one.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By WheresDerrick

@artisanbreads said:

@wheresderrick: Is this really something to get so hung up on dude? It goes Metal Gear Solid 3 to MGSV to Metal Gear Solid. Who cares.

What else is there to talk about? They've announced the name, the target platforms, and release date, thats it. I'm not like self mutilating myself over it, just find it odd and how weird it looks.

Also using Metal Gear as an example to justify anything is not the right way to go since that series is a bit on the crazier side of the spectrum :P

I'm also not the only one mentioning it, just because you supposedly don't care doesn't mean others dont as well.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone spilled coffee on the R page of Rockstars dictionary I would even accept changing it to a D. Red Dead Desperado, Red Dead Deliverance, Red Dead Dynasty ect.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The title instantly brought this to mind.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Damn assholes are going to prop up the console versions and release the pc version when the console sales trail off like with GTA V

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman said:

Neh, can't say I do. I played as much as Jack as I did John. Did most of the side stuff as Jack.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brandondryrock: @atwa: Oh yeah now it's all coming back to me - splitting the price for GTAV on PS3 with a friend on launch, beating it, then buying it on PC 2 years later.

Welp, there's hope yet!

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must add that I really don't like the name. It's just so unoriginal. I'd love to see something like Red Dead Renegade.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 Red Dead 2 Redemption

That has to be a prequel, numbering not withstanding. A sequel would have to take place in an era of cars (there even is one in Redemption) and WW1, and that isn't evoked in the promo image at all.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@hans_maulwurf said:

3 Red Dead 2 Redemption

That has to be a prequel, numbering not withstanding. A sequel would have to take place in an era of cars (there even is one in Redemption) and WW1, and that isn't evoked in the promo image at all.

Yeah.... I don't know how people did not get the all the death of the Wild West stuff being hammered home there. They cannot make a game that takes place after RDR and have it be a Western. The image and description are of a Western. It's not taking place after RDR.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#73  Edited By DharmaBum

@howardian said:

After all the success of getting people to buy it on multiple platforms.

They probably stuck with Redemption for name recognition's sake.

In honor of this announcement...

Loading Video...

Now to go replay it on Xbox.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I can't play it on my personal computer, for shame, guess I'll be waiting a year+ after its come out to play.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that the GTA5 team is on it and boasts "foundation for a new online experience" gives me some pause. Other then just pure mucking around with friends, the way GTA Online was structured was a terribly boring grind and I ended up hating it in the end. All I want is a great single player campaign, unless the online turns out to be something truly special and not bogged down by boring bullshit like GTA Online was I can't find it within me to get excited about the online.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess I will be playing this on XBONE then buying it on PC after the fact. I spent my $1100 on a 1080 damnit. I like my 4k gaming. Bought GTA V on 360, xbone, and PC. Rockstar games have certain qualities I really enjoy and love.

Motherfuckers. Wish I could just experience it all at once on the platform I prefer. People bitch about graphics not being everything, but you know what. I am sick and tired of jagged edges that break the immersion for me or slow ass frame rates that just look bad. I beat GTAV on 360 and xbox one, but I had the most fun and my best playthrough on PC. I prefer KB/M for every action. Driving especially. I am just better with it and like using the mouse to pan my view around. /endrant

Still pretty fucking excited for RDR2. RDR is the only game I have in my xbox one disc tray.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@isomeri: Not really. The PS3 was more powerful than an Xbox 360 and the PS3 version of GTA V didn't run much better than the 360 version did. It depends on how easy it is for them to take advantage of it and if they decide it's worth the effort of developing for an as yet unreleased piece of hardware being released by a company currently trailing behind in the console market place.

Based on Rockstars past behaviour, I wouldn't expect them to bring any bells and whistles to a Scorpio version unless MS fronted them truck loads of money.

Given that Sony is REQUIRING support for PS4 Pro, I assume the Scorpio version will at least be a port of that version... probably not using the full capabilities of the Scorpio, but improved (and will run at closer to 4K on Scorpio as well, I would guess).

One thing I haven't heard for sure yet: Is MS's policy about making developers support both consoles similar to Sony's? If not, the situation with Xbox One/Scorpio will likely be pretty messy and dumb...

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#78  Edited By ProfessorEss

Maybe Rockstar realizes that people will buy a console version and then the PC if they stagger releases.

Worked for GTAV (in my circles at least).

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#79  Edited By Nodima

Godfather 2 was also half prequel, half sequel.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a bit upset at no PC announcement yet, but I'd rather Rockstar take their time and make a good PC port rather than rush it out with the console release and we get a poorly optimized PC game that takes months to fix.

I was planning on getting a Xbox One S sometime soon, so I'll just play RDR2 on that and then get the PC version when it is cheap in the future.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Literally the one sequel I've actively waited for since RDR was released. I cannot describe in words how much I've wanted this.

Fortunately for my wallet, this isn't until the Fall next year.

Unfortunately for my patience, this isn't until the Fall next year (but hey, I've waited this long)

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After their success on PC when GTA5 came out on PC 18 months after the initial release. They learned they can double dip.

Anyone wanna make an argument you should just buy a PC to play games now?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's a shame we can't just assume there will be a pc version. Gta v was not originally announced as a pc title but considering all previous GTAs had pc ports it was a given. Red Dead Revolver and Redemption never got pc ports. I could be wrong but red dead and table tennis are the only rockstar games to never get pc ports post GTA 3.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xanadu: Midnight Club LA is the only other one.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya know what could have been cool? Since Red Dead Redemption was a game about the death of the Wild West, how about a game about the birth? Set during first colonizing of the frontier.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was fairly hyped when I heard about a new Red Dead game since I never played one before. But I play on the PC so I guess my hype has to go limp on this one.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy, I really hope it's not a prequel. I want John Marsden to exist in the one game. I'm not interested in what happened in the gang, and the lead up to the events of the first game. It works better narratively, with the player not knowing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

That name is pretty bad... I was hoping for Red Dead: Revengeance.

The first one was alright I guess so I'll probably check this one out as well.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By kasaioni

Aren't most major publishers releasing their games on PC same date as consoles these days? Seriously Rockstar.

Obviously they're going to release it eventually on PC; this isn't 2010 anymore, they can't just get away with making a major 3rd party game like this a console exclusive.

@wheresderrick But it's the second "Redemption" game in the series. So it's Red Dead Redemption 2. If they used the word Revolver instead, it would be Red Dead Revolver 2. The only way there would be a 3 anywhere in the name is if they called it Red Dead 3: Re_______. Metal Gear Solid 2 is the fourth game in its series, but it's only the second "Solid" title; hence, 2.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Cool, never finished the first RDR, but enjoyed it nonetheless. It would be neat to see what they do with a prequel. One Jeff Gerstmann is unhappy that this is Rockstar's next game, knowing how much he hated the first one.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: I'm sure they want to and will. GTA V is basically always in the top 10 sellers on Steam. It would be a big mistake not to.

At least they will probably be taking their time to get it right... and if you want to be cynical, you could say they are hoping for people to double dip. They will almost certainly get me with that unfortunately.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red dead 2 huh? They better have dual wield pistols!!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I look forward to this getting delayed to 2018.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#95  Edited By Sterling

Since its called Redemption 2 and not a new name, we better be playing as Marston Jr shortly after the end of the first game. Or I revolt.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professoress: my household bought it at least three times (my roomate twice on ps3 then ps4, and me once on pc @ full price iirc)

sorry but there's profit to be had!

one could dream but with the hopefully eventual pc release they tack on RDR as a bonus. rockstar at least does good pc ports when they eventually come out.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's a sequel I hope you play as someone who was wronged by marston and you spend the game trying to get back at him. Then at the end you ride up to a river and see an old man gunned down... a young kid walks away looking awfully close to marston, his kin. And then you buffalo rifle his face off.

Fuck jack

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By kasaioni

@artisanbreads: I think I'll actually wait this one out. Back when GTAV came out I had a PS3 and no gaming PC, so it made sense to get it then. And by the time GTAV came out on PC, I had a gaming PC; so I was okay with buying it again. But now my only gaming platform is PC. I loved Red Dead Redemption, but I'm not about to drop down money to buy a console unless Death Stranding comes out with a large gap between its console and PC release.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By WheresDerrick

@kasaioni said:

@wheresderrick But it's the second "Redemption" game in the series. So it's Red Dead Redemption 2. If they used the word Revolver instead, it would be Red Dead Revolver 2. The only way there would be a 3 anywhere in the name is if they called it Red Dead 3: Re_______. Metal Gear Solid 2 is the fourth game in its series, but it's only the second "Solid" title; hence, 2.

And its the third Red Dead game, but now this gets abbreviated to "RDR2" when it is actually "RDR3"

I get its the second Redemption game, but if its also suppose to be a prequel (and not a sequel or sequel/prequel) its odd it is numbered as the second.

The Red Dead part of the name is easily recognized and anyone would know exactly what you are referring to if they had chosen another word to finish it off. Redemption 2 just feels weird. If this ends up being a continuation of Redemption and not a prequel, then I can forgive it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The console exclusive lifts its aging carcass from the dirt to ride once again!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.