Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Coming 2017 to Xbox One and Playstation 4

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#151  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Well no story shit but fuck it look beautiful. So, so beautiful. Read Dead Redemption still looks great but this is just such a step up along and past GTA V.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Sorry I sneezed and missed the trailer.

More seriously I suppose that's enough to sell it to the Red Dead die-hard fans but for someone like me who just doesn't hold it in that high of a regard it came across as just another video game trailer.

Theory: It's the tale of John Marston running away from that gang he was in.

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

have to say - short but sweet - that shot of the skybox at night was incredible, and that last shot going over the plains looks like about my hometown right now (Denver CO). Sad as I am to say it, I'm one of those they talked about on the Bombcast that will gladly buy it on PS4 or Xbox One on launch, and again on PC. A year is a long time.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

That was the most Terrence Malick-y trailer I've seen from Rockstar yet. I'm OK with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That trailer sucked as PC gamer I know I'm suppose to be jealous right now and port begging. But that trailer was pathetic really could care less I guess I'm more of a GTA guy for sure.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me want to watch There Will Be Blood again. The trailer sets up the game to be more tonally "serious" than Red Dead Redemption. It looks gorgeous, both the visuals and the animation, so it's a shame this is kind of a ways off.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@militantfreudian: I wouldn't read too much into overall tone. I mean RDR was really serious in tone many times and then not in others. That variable tone was fantastic and I assume (and hope) it will be back.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By hans_maulwurf

Looks beautiful.

"When the time comes you gotta run and don't look back" could fit a Heat-style story where Marston can only succesfully lead a life of crime while he isn't attached to anyone or anything but then falls in love with his wife. Of course this is the wildest of speculation. But the Housers definitely have watched Heat, so who knows.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks pretty.

Dumb name is dumb.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"When the time comes you gotta run and don't look back" could fit a Heat-style story where Marston can only succesfully lead a life of crime while he isn't attached to anyone or anything but then falls in love with his wife. Of course this is the wildest of speculation. But the Housers definitely have watched Heat, so who knows.

Good speculation. What will be our "For me the action is the juice" equivalent?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh. Got kinda steamrolled by the Switch announcement. Neat graphics.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's Bill Williamson in the duster...right?

(Also, the trailer was dope.)

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By hassun
    No Caption Provided

Sony posted and then deleted this tweet.

I'm going to assume there is some kind of co-marketing deal for the game though. Maybe like CoD.

EDIT:

And now they reposted it:

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I was rather underwhelmed by the trailer. All this time waiting in anticipation and the teasing from Rockstar ultimately led to a reveal of some of the albeit pretty environments? This is what you play as B Roll in any other trailer.

I'm still excited for a new Red Dead, but hearing rumors that you may play as a younger John Marston puts a terrible taste in my mouth. I vehemently do not want that. So I desperately want a story trailer soon to curtail my concerns.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailer seems to suggest there might be a ranch or farming system in the game? Damn, I wish RDR2 was just Stardew Valley in the RDR universe.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll believe those graphics when it ships. Pretty excited for this. I enjoyed RDR quite a bit. Probably my favorite Rockstar game. Definitely the only one I've finished. I'm not a big fan of GTA.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mmmm so pretty. Shame to play it at 30 FPS with drops. I'll hold out hope for a better version.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Okay! I really enjoyed my time with RDR1 until going through Mexico killed a lot of my interest and I stopped for a few months just before it's first ending. Riding around Mexico was fine, it's just, I dunno, was like I lost the thread of why I was in that world.

Anyways, them grass and wet mud there sure looked purdy. I'm currently playing through The Last of Us to get it out of the way before Uncharted 4, maybe I'll do the same here with GTA5.

Also, this the first post-Benz game right? OoooOOOoooOOOoooh!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@briarpack: personally I am infinitely more interested in this single game than Nintendos newest console. Different strokes for different folks.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@humanity said:

@briarpack: personally I am infinitely more interested in this single game than Nintendos newest console. Different strokes for different folks.

But did you see how you could play games at the rooftop parties your friends throw? Even on the tour bus!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

But did you see how you could play games at the rooftop parties your friends throw? Even on the tour bus!

Sure. Opinions, right?

I'm not really interested in either, so Nintendo showcasing their new console is bigger news to me than a 1 minute nondescript teaser for a game that's release date is further away than said console. But that's neither here nor there.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By paulmako

@hassun: On the Sony YouTube channels trailer for the game, it says

We're partnering with Rockstar Games on Red Dead Redemption 2! Watch the trailer, captured on PlayStation 4. PS4 players will also get first access to earn select online content in the vast open world of Red Dead Redemption 2.

First access to select online content! Nothing too offensive.

Oh apparently Red Dead Redemption will be coming to the Playstation Now streaming service. A service which is also available on PC. So RDR is going to playable on PCs. In maybe the least appealing form!

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Oooh Housers. I totally misread that as Hosers lol I was going to say I'm pretty sure Rockstar are from Scotland.

Well, at least now I know how to insult Canadians should the opportunity ever arise, so it's a win for me anyway.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By BasketSnake

@dan_citi said:

@dharmabum: I know and I fucking LOVE IT!!

You still believing in the beautiful light, are you?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me want to watch There Will Be Blood again. The trailer sets up the game to be more serious tonally than Red Dead Redemption. It looks gorgeous, both the visuals and the animation, so it's a shame this is kind of a ways off.

Funny you should mention There Will Be Blood, Red Dead Redemption had a neat little easter egg with a drilling camp named Plainview and it even has a Daniel Day-Lewis lookalike!

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna said:

@militantfreudian said:

This makes me want to watch There Will Be Blood again. The trailer sets up the game to be more serious tonally than Red Dead Redemption. It looks gorgeous, both the visuals and the animation, so it's a shame this is kind of a ways off.

Funny you should mention There Will Be Blood, Red Dead Redemption had a neat little easter egg with a drilling camp named Plainview and it even has a Daniel Day-Lewis lookalike!

I totally remember where that was! I can't believe I didn't make the connection. That's neat.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't need a trailer to sell me on the notion of RDR2. The mere mention of a sequel to one of my absolute favorite games was plenty. The trailer is just a bonus. I really hope they get the same composer to do the music as they had for the first one. I know there will be a lot of speculation about the storyline, and I'll read a little bit of that, but I'm real close to going radio silent on this game.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By RickRockmann

Oh right, Rockstar's game worlds are beautiful.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what we have seen in the trailer, this definitely seems to have more of a Texas/Wyoming feel instead of South West. I still hope they have some Mexico parts.... Aesthetically I loved Mexico so much in RDR it was such a drastic change in scenery and the amount of detail that went into towns was mind blowing. Also it was just really cool to see how accurately they nailed down the feel of living in the South West with the vegetation and way the monsoons would roll in. It's kind of a shame I probably won't get to see a more blown up version of that with this change of scenery, but oh well, still looks pretty amazing.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps one thing we can take from this trailer too is expanded behavior for the animals. If there is actual ecosystem type stuff, like a food chain, that would be amazing to watch play out. They have done a bit of that in the last game but just looking at hints in the trailer I am imagining it expanded on.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, regarding speculations about the timeframe: according to a quick wikipedia check "In North America, the first commercial oil well entered operation in Oil Springs, Ontario in 1858".

Also, as it relates to the Bison population in NA, wikipedia says: "near-extinction of the species around 1890".

So that would narrow the timeframe down to roughly 1860-1890. Most likely post civil war since none of the stuff shown alluded to that.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any chance that footage is in engine? Kind of doubt it, but that would be incredible.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, regarding speculations about the timeframe: according to a quick wikipedia check "In North America, the first commercial oil well entered operation in Oil Springs, Ontario in 1858".

Also, as it relates to the Bison population in NA, wikipedia says: "near-extinction of the species around 1890".

So that would narrow the timeframe down to roughly 1860-1890. Most likely post civil war since none of the stuff shown alluded to that.

As far as it relates to the first game, there are still Bison in that game and it takes place in 1911 (although you can completely wipe them out since they don't respawn, aside from I believe some trick you could maybe pull, can't recall).

If the game does feature John, he was born in 1873 according to the Red Dead wiki.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it. I'm excited about videogames again.

Loading Video...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any chance that footage is in engine? Kind of doubt it, but that would be incredible.

The question is if it performs to that level, especially on consoles, but I would say yes definitely. Again, we will see on release but that is not CG or anything. Not Rockstar's style.

They managed a lot of amazing detail in GTA V so I am very optimistic, especially for an eventual PC version.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#191  Edited By doctordonkey

That ending line with the footage of them riding off to seemingly do a heist really reminded me of Heat.

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By DharmaBum

@militantfreudian said:

@probablytuna said:

@militantfreudian said:

I totally remember where that was! I can't believe I didn't make the connection. That's neat.

This trailer reminds me a lot of the atmosphere in The Assassination of Jesse James. I remember they both came out the same year and were incredible.

I feel like we're seeing the PS4 Pro / Scorpio / PC (high settings) versions in this footage, based on the initial reveals of GTA V and the end results on PS3/360.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By hans_maulwurf

@artisanbreads said:

As far as it relates to the first game, there are still Bison in that game and it takes place in 1911 (although you can completely wipe them out since they don't respawn, aside from I believe some trick you could maybe pull, can't recall).

If the game does feature John, he was born in 1873 according to the Red Dead wiki.

I vaguely remember the bisons (wasn't there also an achievement for wiping them out?), but not in herds like in the trailer here. Of course that was probably more due to technical limitations. And R* would certainly take their liberties with historical accuracy on things like this, so it might not actually be a dead giveaway.

Hm, yeah, assuming that Marston will be in the game in some way, even if just as a short cameo, that would probably mean it's post 1890.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hans_maulwurf: Yep there was an achievement. They could spawn more Bison if they had wanted to like they did with other animals, it was definitely a dark commentary on the extinction of the animal. Of course you are right though that this is a larger herd than anything you probably could have seen in the first game though.

If Marston is going to be in his 20's, when it seems like he left an orphanage and fell in with the gang, 1890's is the best guess. But again we will have to see if it's even John.

They clearly take their liberties all over but I think these are solid guesses to put together an idea of when this might take place.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So which cover by a contemporary artist will they slap over the trailers in the run-up to release? I'm going to go with Desperado covered by Lorde or some shit.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

A great first tease. Looks beautiful. The king of skies is back it seems.

I hope we get some RDR1 style "docu-trailers" later next year.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: what did they do for the first one? I don't remember any covers. But that was 6 years ago. My god

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

This game looks fucking gorgeous. Wished there was more story stuff, but I probably had my expectations too high considering this is the first trailer. Can't wait to play it.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

That trailer needed the Benz.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.