Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

That GTA V engine putting in work on the Wild West.

• Kind of interesting, soft look to the character models. Seems a little...cartoony?

• Dutch back. Prequel confirmed.

• Train robberies.

• Two hands, two guns.

• #cantwait

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Mostly looks good; something about the character models seems a bit off though.

I generally dislike prequels in stories, but there really wasn't a good way to do a sequel to the original. It was set too far towards the end of "the west." Any sequel wouldn't really have been a western at all. I wonder how much of a prequel it is though, as opposed to just a different story set in the west with a little bit of overlap. Dutch is in it, but is anyone else?

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks nice even though some of the texture work seems a bit rough.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise, but that's a super bland looking main character.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen a few people wonder if the guy in the bar with the big beard is either Bill or Uncle, and if the woman is John's wife, but after looking at pictures of the characters I don't think the bar character is either of those two. The female character has a pretty similar face but the hair color is different.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By militantfreudian

I like the dramatic lighting and the homage to The Assassination of Jesse James.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ezekiel

No gameplay. I find it hard to care. I mean, I know the environments will look good and generally what to expect from their storytelling. What I want to know is what you do now and how it plays. If there are any meaningful improvements.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cerberus3dog

I am really in the mood for another wild west game. Very much looking forward to it.

"Maybe when your mother's finished mourning your father, I'll keep her in black, on your behalf." Dang. Ice cold.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wouldn't call it "cartoony" at all.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nodima

I wouldn't call it "cartoony" at all.

In my mind, I keep connecting this face:

No Caption Provided

With this face:

No Caption Provided

Or a sort of Pixar-like animation style. Obviously very hi-res and detailed, but the way his face moves and animates lends him an oddly soft, comforting vibe. Just my impression from his and the woman's facial animations in this 90 second trailer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope I can tie people up to the train tracks and watch them get run over like the first Red Dead.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Some thoughts:

- I'm buying the hell out of this. If it's even half as good as RDR, I'm in, and I'll likely get my $60 worth out of exploring the environment alone.

- Some of the voice work seems kinda bad, like a caricature of a Southern accent more than a natural accent.

- The faces definitely look off, and I can't really place why.

- Is this trailer the PS4 version of the game? I'm left wondering if the Xbox One X version will look better, and if they're only using PS4 footage here because of the "content first" thing.

- Train robbery scene there is very "Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford", and I'm into it.

- Was that a gator eating a piggy? If so, rad.

chen_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have they ever confirmed or mentioned a PC release?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks very good overall. The voices seemed a little...unnatural, in thier delivery. The faces stood out to me as well, though I couldn't place why and not necessarily in a good or bad way.

Bummed it's just called RDR2 and not Red Dead Something Else though.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Looks great! I want to see how this game looks like in motion. Rockstar will probably show us something small early next year.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

I was already locked in on playing this regardless, but this trailer is looking pretty good.

My one concern is that the main character might be a bit too dark and brooding, but it's hard to say conclusively just based on a few quips in a trailer. Hopefully there's a bit more charm and a redemption angle in the context of the full story because everything in this trailer makes it seem like you're just a super bad dude.

Scottjay01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll pass I never got the love of the first one, its an okay one of those games really..I'm hoping with this coming out it doesn't mean a super long wait for GTA VI I'd want to see what they would do on these consoles solely rather than what they did with V.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By FunkyHugo

I'm not going anywhere near that crocodile. (Looks really great, can't wait.)

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ezekiel

@chango said:

I'm not going anywhere near that crocodile. (Looks really great, can't wait.)

Wait a minute... A crocodile in the Rocky Mountain area? I'm wondering now if part of the game takes place in the south, like Mexico in RDR.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the faces/voices seem off, they just don't match up right. It could be something that gets ironed out though.

I'm interested in where they are going with the main character. This trailer very much makes him seem like a bad person, and he's acting sort of like the muscle of the gang. If they play it straight, and don't take him into Trevor territory, it could be quite cool. But they also shouldn't make him like Marston and make him a fairly nice guy trying to escape that life or anything like that. If he's gonna be a dick, make him a dick, but don;t make him a cartoon character like Trevor.

I'm pretty excited for snow environments.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bybeach

Somebody gots them a pet gator! One of those alligators from Mafia 3 got a career going.

Hard for me to be a bad guy, I never make the bad guy (person...) choice. But he does seem pretty single minded and motivated to be one. I'm interested, maybe.

Also, nice scenery.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By glots

I feel like the faces need to be more expressive. They look good graphically alright, but stiff.

Seems pretty good otherwise.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of a bummer that it's a prequel just like everyone thought. Still is a good looking trailer and I really hope it gets a pc port this time.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bybeach said:

Somebody gots them a pet gator! One of those alligators from Mafia 3 got a career going.

Hard for me to be a bad guy, I never make the bad guy (person...) choice. But he does seem pretty single minded and motivated to be one. I'm interested, maybe.

Also, nice scenery.

Weird that you mentioned this. Back before RDR2 was official, there were some articles going around with the supposed leaked map of RDR2 ( not sure if that was ever confirmed) and New Bordeux was actually on it...

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By liquiddragon

I'm not getting an Assassination of Jesse James vibe at all but it looks alright. The voice doesn't fit the protagonist and I'm not seeing anything new or different. I'm sure I'll play it way down the line but it's not really exciting me. I'll patiently wait for the next-gen Vice City.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By geirr

Ah finally I can tear up the land with Beef Hardpeck again,

my favorite protagonist this decade and the previous.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BoboBones

Other then the fact that I dig the art style, and I'm excited for another Rockstar open world game, I don't have many thoughts yet. I'm certainly not expecting it, but I would like to see multiple protagonists in a Red Dead game. I thought it was well executed in GTA V.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking like one of the most detailed and atmospheric games of all time but people can't get past their hot take on the faces.

I think this looks incredible. I'm already hyped the soundtrack.

Napstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: I dont think the game will have the same vibe as the Assassination of Jesse James, but the shots of the train robbery sequence is identical to the one from Jesse James.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Main character looks kinda square.

I'll definitely be about this though. Really enjoyed RDR for the most part. Lost steam at Mexico and never got the big musical set piece because of course I'm not gonna hop on the horse that's there, I'm gonna whistle for my own damnit. If it was gonna break the scene then they shouldn'ta let it work dagnabbit.

Napstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this game will feel better to play than GTA V which I feel was a step back from RDR.

Also this dudes voice just doesn't sound as cool as John Marston

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More footage of animal hunting required.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to get this on PS4 but man I wish they just release it on PC the same day I prefer mouse and keyboard over gamepad when it comes to third person and first person shooters. But anyway I hope the next trailer actually shows some real gameplay with some narration talking about gameplay mechanics.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NTM

Looks great. I'm actually surprised by how good the visuals look. I mean, GTA V on the PS4 and PC look great, but this still looks more impressive. Also, maybe because I just came on the internet and Giant Bomb was the first place I came, but so far, seems to be a lack of enthusiasm... I guess I'll see. I just remember when they show GTA games, people are always picking through footage trying to uncover what it's all about.

Edit - Okay, yep. I take it back, it seems it's what I expected, people are kind of going over the footage. Cool. Exciting. Red Dead Redemption remains in my top three open world games, maybe the best. I don't know. I originally played it on the PS3 (the worst possible version I guess) and it's where I fell in love with it, playing many hours of it. When it became backward compatible on the One, I couldn't help but get it. It's considered the best version to play because of its steady frame rate (and compared to the PS3 version, resolution), and while I still really enjoyed it, I wasn't as impressed or excited about it all as the last time I played it, unfortunately. I'm not sure if it has to do with it being dated (I don't feel like that's the case) or if it's because I had already seen the story once (which I didn't remember every story beat). I just remember when I reached certain moments the first time playing it, I was way more excited than the previous time, but whatever, it's still a superb game and still one of my favorite open world games or games in general. I'll have to reinstall it again closer to the second game's release.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jec03: Unfortunately, it's clearly not the same character, as much as I would love for the character the series is named after to be a returning character. You also play a bad guy in a gang, Red was a bounty hunter that while rough, was never a bad guy.

I'm hoping Red is, however, a bounty hunter in this that at one point hunts you down. Whether they kill him off like Johnny in GTAV or have him be a complete badass, I don't know, but I'd love for him to return.

younggryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be good but not great. Like most rockstar games you have to love it to put time into it. I doubt it will have much in it to make me buy it at launch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.