Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

When does the snow winter setting end?

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hey Duders, question, when does the snowy winter section of the beginning end? roughly how many hours in or is the setting like that for the entire game?

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Not that long; just a few missions.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Probably 2-4 hours depending on how quickly you go.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If you're asking this question you should probably just return the game.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

scared of snow? lol

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel your pain man, in HDR that shit nearly seared my retinas off.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

It's getting more and more apparent this game isn't for impatient people.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@sahalarious said:

This.

It's getting more and more apparent this game isn't for impatient people.

I think the snow part in the beginning is much slower paced than the rest of the game because you're riding out to do tutorials and there isn't anywhere else to go yet. I ended up really enjoying the game but I do recall those early bits seeming to kind of "drag" as in I was excited for the game to finally open up and get me out of the tutorial zone.

So it's good to know that it's maybe an hour or so of missions before you move on.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@humanity: yeah its a small chunk but i think it is very much an indicitive slice of the games pace throghout. I've put over 150 hours into RDR2, so its defnitely for me, but those that dont like it all started off with similar complaints.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

While I never really grew to love the game(I liked it about as much as I tend to like Rockstar games), I did like it a good bit, but I hated the opening area. I thought it got way better after getting out of the snow/tutorial area, so I definitely do not agree with the idea that someone won't like the game if they don't like the start.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By haneybd87

@metalbaofu: Forget the snow area, I really didn’t warm up to this game until about chapter 4 when the story actually started going somewhere. This is one of those situations of “well just play for x hours and the game will get good”. Well it turns out you have to play for about 40 hours for that to happen, up until then it’s just a bunch of meaningless robberies and whatnot. I was so close to just quitting the game but now I’m super into the story. I see what they were going for in those early chapters and how it ties in later but I can’t say any of that was great at the time and also the gameplay still isn’t much fun even here at the end of chapter 6.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@metalbaofu: Forget the snow area, I really didn’t warm up to this game until about chapter 4 when the story actually started going somewhere. This is one of those situations of “well just play for x hours and the game will get good”. Well it turns out you have to play for about 40 hours for that to happen, up until then it’s just a bunch of meaningless robberies and whatnot. I was so close to just quitting the game but now I’m super into the story. I see what they were going for in those early chapters and how it ties in later but I can’t say any of that was great at the time and also the gameplay still isn’t much fun even here at the end of chapter 6.

While it didn't take me that long to start enjoying it some, I do get what you mean. I tend to feel the same about all Rockstar stuff. I stick around for characters/story, and end up liking the games, but never really loving them. A big reason for that is the game play for me. The actual playing of a Rockstar game just never feels all that good to me.

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nasher27

On my first playthrough I recall the opening being very slow and counting the minutes until it was over.

Interestingly, I recently restarted the game to focus on side content and I absolutely loved the intro. I think it’s because I was already very familiar with the controls.

I think that’s the thing about RDR2, it’s amazing when you’re not struggling with the controls. That just takes time, and that amount of time will vary from player to player. And of course, some players will be turned off by this learning curve immediately.

Edit: I’d like to add that it really helped me to go into the options and basically turn auto aim to the max. There’s two settings, one to change the lock on angle to ‘Wide’ and another meter which I turned all the way up which I forget the name. I changed this about 3/4 through the game and it really helped. It actually made me better at the game; I have since turned it back to default settings and my skill (and enjoyment of the combat) has mostly persisted.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_grindilow: How? The HDR implementation made the screen look super dull. Unless that's what you mean, or they've fixed it by now. Unfortunately, to get a brighter, slightly more colorful image you have to turn HDR off.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@nasher27: I restarted since I got an XB1X and RDR2 was bundled with it and I must say I had the exact opposite experience. I never had many issues with the core game, I adapted to the controls quickly enough and apart from some story mishaps I enjoyed it pretty much all the way to the end. I was actually a little disappointed that I pushed forward to quickly because there were plenty of side quests I wanted to have done, which is partly why I restarted on the Xbox.

Apart from the snow areas looking absolutely stunning I was really blowing through it because I just wanted the mainland to open up. It was interesting to see the game from the beginning after I had spent what seemed like 100 hours with these characters and saw them evolve over the span of the story, but much like my first time around I was itching to get into the main game (and even when you do get out of the snow it is still several hours more of drip fed tutorial missions before you get into the game proper).

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was actually asking so I could play through the snow section before Christmas to feel all Christmasy :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.