Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 26, 2018

The third game in Rockstar's Wild West-themed series is a prequel to the events of Red Dead Redemption, returning to the open-world action of its predecessor.

Will you play in first person or third person primarily?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will you play in first person or third person primarily? (373 votes)

Third person. 64%
    First person. 7%
    Perhaps 50/50. 13%
    I'm not sure yet. 9%
    I don't plan on playing it, so I'm just hear to see what others say I guess. 6%

This one is tricky to me and I'm just not sure yet. I'll have to see how it's implemented into the game first, but I will say that I was completely fine with Red Dead Redemption's third-person camera view. I felt immersed in the world with the way your character controls and moves, but I did take issue with GTA5's lack of over the shoulder switch aiming that RDR had and to some degree, the way the character moves in the world in the third person (it was neither as satisfying as RDR nor Max Payne 3, two games that came before it).

When the remaster came out on current-gen consoles, the first person mode not only alleviated that issue for me, but I played the game and had a fantastic time with the first person mode which was about 99 percent of the time I played it and was more than 100 hours. I used it for both driving and on foot. GTA 5 actually became one of my favorite open world games in large part due to the ability to go in the first person and how the experience changed to me, but I have the feeling RDR2 will be something I am unsure of as to which one I prefer. What about all of you?

• 
    baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Third person for exploring, combat, and story missions. While only using first-person in towns and in various buildings like shops or houses.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's as decent or better than gtav's first person then I'll stick with that. I don't like playing games in 3rd person.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously I’ll test first-person, but rather play and enjoy the scenery in third-person.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given how wonky GTA V first person was, I don't expect a lot from this. Rockstar has made these games in third person for so long I'm not sure why they decided this would be a feature they implement.

BlueWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA first person is disorienting. I’m not expecting that to change for Red Dead.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Third person. It's a Rockstar game. I always their worlds more from that perspective.

That being said, GTA V's first person mode was pretty damn good. I played the entire game that way. But only because that was my second time through when it made its way to my Xbox One.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to be mildly controversial but I don't really plan on buying it. I wasn't overly taken by the original RDR, but I tend to bounce off of Rockstar games for some reason. Running into the same ambient events just killed the game for me, I could only encounter the same ambush with a woman tied to a wagon wheel so many times.

I am looking forward to hearing how people like it, and how it comes across. Maybe I will pick it up later on, but I always fall off open world games fairly quickly.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I'm not interested in the first person mode in the slightest. It just didn't work great in GTAV and honestly I don't even want it anyway.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly third person, but I'll use the first person camera a lot too. I like to see things close up sometimes.

It depends on the quality. I completed the PC version of GTAV in first person after playing the 360 version. They did a good job of with the first person mode, but the field of view was a little narrow.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

First person seems like a quick gimmick, not a confortable way to play the game. I will test it a few times, maybe admire some landscapes, but will stick to third person view...

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I thought GTA's first person was super, super cool, but moreso as a novelty and a new way to play through a game I'd already played twice through on PS3. I will always take third person over first person when given the option unless it looks completely silly like Fallout 3.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Third Person, first person in GTA V was neat but very unruly and not that fun. I wanted to play like an FPS but it just was clunky in most cases. I understand RDR2 is even more detailed and a game with a higher fidelity visually, but it being even less of a shooter than GTA just kind of buries it for me. It will be nice to have to like...look at stuff better I suppose.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

same way I play bethesda's RPGs. third person for open environments and first person for tighter spaces.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#14 fisk0  Moderator

I mean, I haven't liked a Rockstar game since the GTA III trilogy, so I doubt I'll pick it up even if it comes to PC, but as someone who has always used the first person mods for the GTA games, playing it in first person would be a given.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Third person like God intended.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Third person (but accidentally voted for first person)

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Third person (but accidentally voted for first person)

No worries. Your heart was in the right place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7e993aef3e3
    deactivated-5e7e993aef3e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fourth person.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Horse riding in first person sounds like a nightmare.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Just like in GTAV: third for actual important gameplay, first for wandering around and looking at the world.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given how detailed the world supposedly is, I could see myself using first person occasionally to soak up the atmosphere of stores/inns or the wilderness. Otherwise, I'm primarily going to be playing in third person because that just seems how the game was meant to be played.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The vistas in Red Dead Redemption lend themselves so well to third person. Maybe I'll try some first person in towns? I doubt it though.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If im stoned=1st person. something about that ultimate immersion, especially in a rockstar game. otherwise 1st person can feel claustrophobic in open world games. I may honestly flip back and forth as I did in Fallout 3 (traveling between points of interest in 3rd, but doing ANYTHING other than walking, 1st)

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wont know until i play it

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 1

Third person definitely. I don't think these games are that fun in first-person.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My aim is to play in first person as I really enjoyed the driving and action in first person GTA5, but I have a feeling third person will be easier to play.. So I may switch to that.

Notme2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First person when I’m at the general store or gun smith looking at items. Third person when I’m out in the world hunting etc.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

I've been playing the game since 9:00 PM PST (it's midnight now). I think, although I may switch it up later, I'm primarily going to be using the first person. I'm pretty impressed by it. You move faster in the first person; it's a little easier to aim at enemies as well, and the difference in your peripheral isn't a huge issue. You can--like in the first RDR--swap shoulders which is nice, but I think the first person mode, at least to me, plays a little better honestly aside from the fact that you might not see some things. I would have also liked the option to turn off camera centering when on the horse as you look to the left and right. Both are most likely immersive, but so far they are immersive in slightly different ways and I am enjoying the first person view just fine. It's not a huge spoiler, but I'm just finishing up the train robbery mission at the beginning. Also, it took me some time to get used to it, and man I got a little frustrated at the beginning as there is a moment where there are three wolves. They're pretty savage and I disappointedly died three times; I felt pretty bad. It almost called for the first person to be turned on, but I didn't do it.

Esteban5XG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I prefer First Person, but there are lots of TPG I love, and I don't mind about it. What is really important for me is the interaction between the shoot and the target.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.