Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

A Beautiful Journey

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

Edited By sopachuco13

While fighting off cougars in the mountains near the boarder, my thousand dollar horse was mauled. After falling halfway down the mountain I recovered with enough time to take some medicine. The smell of wonded flesh was still in the air. The gods of stupidity took over and I pulled out my lasso. I tried to subdue the cougar with my lasso, but I was slashed in the face by knives sharper than katanas. I pulled out my knife in an attempt to gain some kind of "achievement!" I wanted my accoplishment to be heard around the world... 

or at least on the internet.  

This is just one of the many stories that we all can tell about playing Red Dead Redemption. Most of Rockstars open world games carry this same type of make your own story gameplay. I have been thwarted by Rockstars open world elements before, but this time I have been so immersed that I have had no problem finishing the game. I am nearing the 75% mark and I see no end in sight.  

The grit and the grime in the game are almost tangible. When I see the characters I can see that they are dirty, many of them in more than one way. The stories that they tell are dirty and grimy. People were driven crazy by the Plains. As a student of the Mid-west, I know these types of stories to be true. I also realized that these types of stories are not contained within the narrative timeline of RDR. These stories continue to plague our news stories; I don't have to name any  because we see them everyday online or in print.  

The inane is just as fun as the outlandish, as well. I spend the better part of last night looking for Butterfly Weed in Mexico. I know that I could have used the survivalist map, but I wanted to explore and do it for myself. It is for these reasons that I have enjoyed playing RDR so much.  

This shouldn't be viewed as a review but more as a mid-game commentary.
    sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1  Edited By sopachuco13

While fighting off cougars in the mountains near the boarder, my thousand dollar horse was mauled. After falling halfway down the mountain I recovered with enough time to take some medicine. The smell of wonded flesh was still in the air. The gods of stupidity took over and I pulled out my lasso. I tried to subdue the cougar with my lasso, but I was slashed in the face by knives sharper than katanas. I pulled out my knife in an attempt to gain some kind of "achievement!" I wanted my accoplishment to be heard around the world... 

or at least on the internet.  

This is just one of the many stories that we all can tell about playing Red Dead Redemption. Most of Rockstars open world games carry this same type of make your own story gameplay. I have been thwarted by Rockstars open world elements before, but this time I have been so immersed that I have had no problem finishing the game. I am nearing the 75% mark and I see no end in sight.  

The grit and the grime in the game are almost tangible. When I see the characters I can see that they are dirty, many of them in more than one way. The stories that they tell are dirty and grimy. People were driven crazy by the Plains. As a student of the Mid-west, I know these types of stories to be true. I also realized that these types of stories are not contained within the narrative timeline of RDR. These stories continue to plague our news stories; I don't have to name any  because we see them everyday online or in print.  

The inane is just as fun as the outlandish, as well. I spend the better part of last night looking for Butterfly Weed in Mexico. I know that I could have used the survivalist map, but I wanted to explore and do it for myself. It is for these reasons that I have enjoyed playing RDR so much.  

This shouldn't be viewed as a review but more as a mid-game commentary.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, I absolutely love RDR. Most of the characters are disgusting and absolutely despicable, though I think they're still pretty darn memorable, nonetheless. I spent a whole lot of time playing it and actually got 100% completion. Now I'm trying to get 100% in Undead Nightmare too.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BBQBram

Rockstar raised the bar with this one, you've just got to immerse yourself to know it.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheFreeMan

I really should try giving RDR another go. After I completed all the main story missions, I put it down with the intent to return, but

Dumb reason, I know, but these sort of things matter a bit to me in terms of how much additional time I want to put into a game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.