Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Am I The Only One Who Thinks RDR's Story/Characters were mediocre

• 58 results
    mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#51  Edited By mubblegum

I was really keen and interested in this game as I wanted a good one of it's genre. The setting sounded amazing. I just could not get into it at all. The characters bored me. I didn't care their origin or their stories. I just wanted to get the quests done and had no enjoyment from them.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Love the RDR game, do not care at all about the story or characters.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By BBQBram

I guess we all see what we want to see.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By ShaneDev
    @BBQBram said:
    " The whole story is a reflection on the old frontier with the law of men being overrun by the state and federal law. Not one side is fully good or bad, it's a duality, shades of grey. Marston is the frontier law and Agent Ross is the federal law. He makes Marston and the player believe there is a place for him in the new world, but it was just a lie to tie up loose ends. It's genius and thematically consistent.   Then there's the emergent narrative. Here you have a man who is forced to return to his old life to save his new one. The question is, will he revert to his old ways or will he redeem himself in the process. You make this decision, and it effects all the implications of the scripted interactions greatly. Then there's the end which is a rough realization of, no matter how saintly John's life may be nowadays, there is no redemption save for death for what he did in his old life.This realisation hits the player when it hits John, and is an amazingly strong conclusion. Taking the whole story arc's natural outcome, settling the player into relief and closure and then bam! They drive the point home.        
      Now if you don't see this, then a great story with literary depth is wasted on you. It's like how GTA IV bummed people out who just wanted goofy parodies of Scorsese flicks, Miami Vice and Gangsta Rap wars respectively (while it remains as the greatest GTA game to date).    

I agree with you mainly on those points. I enjoyed the game a whole lot and the character of John Marston and how it concluded were the highlights mainly because it didn't feel like a game. John didn't fight Ross in some boss battle or anything like that, he is eventually killed  while he's just out shooting it felt real and mature. Saying that I was slightly annoyed by the Mexico sections simply because it went on way too long for my liking and the only character I had a problem with is Irish simply because as an Irish person that stereo type left me rolling my eyes every time he appeared and was slightly offensive but saying that though I did enjoy doing missions with him and he was one of my favorite characters. Anyway I am tried but I think you hit the nail on the head.

And I agree on that last point since until GTA4 thats what every Rockstar game was, a big collection of movie references, fun but sorta shallow.
    Playabender22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Playabender22

I actually like John Marston, Rockstar makes great games as of RDR.

Avatar image for bankruptpaladin
    BankruptPaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By BankruptPaladin

Story was indeed weak, characters have too much "Rockstar-ness" to them AKA they're all psycho's or deranged in the utmost fashion. The fact is that this is GTA in the west. Nothing more. They could probably just do a reskin of the characters from any GTA game and have this exact game in many ways.

What I think is really sad is that too few people recognize it for what it is. I have to say that Rockstar did a good job with Max Payne 3, but they sure didn't do enough to see this game to the top. It's full of flaws when it comes to characters, story, missions et.c.

Come to think of it, one thing that just struck me as insanely odd is that whenever you run away from lawmen, you get a radius to escape, but during Bounty hunter-missions, the enemies always know exactly where I am, even though I killed everyone in the base and left before the others even showed up, or shot them before leaving. What, do they have a freakin' GPS on the guy I've got tied up on the back of my horse? They call him on his cellphone and check where he is? That's just really stupid. :P

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Klei

I love those '' Am I the only one? ''

MrFwankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MrFwankie

I just wasn't a fan of this game as a whole.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.