Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Boned up the Mexico song

• 55 results
    EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Decided I was going to play through this game 'for reals' after abandoning it a few years ago, mostly because of the reverent tones given to it on the Gamespot podcast Rorie was on recently.

Anyway, I plug away until it's time to go to Mexico and finish the raft mission. Just as I get control again, I decide I don't want to use the crappy horse I've just been given and get off to whistle for my Kentucky Saddler.

Which, I've read afterwards, is what stopped the awesome music cue I've been hearing about from happening. At all. No song. Nada.

Bummer.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wow that suuuuucks, it's one of the best moments in the game.
    can't you take an earlier save or something?

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, no. Went through a period of "Well, maybe it's the first time I enter a town or something?", by which time I'd already triggered a bunch of autosaves and a few manual ones.

Ah well, shit happens.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Happened to me too. Had no fucking idea what people were talking about with the "Mexico song".

How someone at Rockstar never thought a player would whistle for their horse, I do not know. That it's still an issue is pretty lame.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it's possible that they didn't expect that moment to resonate as much as it has, but it's a little ironic how a developer that's overly devoted to their bullshit sometimes wouldn't realise what cutscenes are for.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OllyOxenFree

http://i.imgur.com/6QSa45Y.gif

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not that great. Yeah, it kind of makes you feel like Clint Eastwood, but it's really just your introduction to the part of the game that should have been cut short, or cut completely.

Red Dead Redemption's Mexico is the collecting boar hides of MMOs.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did the same thing :(

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

It's not that great. Yeah, it kind of makes you feel like Clint Eastwood, but it's really just your introduction to the part of the game that should have been cut short, or cut completely.

Loading Video...

I really really still don't get people's beef with the Mexico bit. I actually really enjoyed most of it. I mean train robberies?! Fuck yeah!

JunkHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I remember that happening to me!

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's like bro-hugging Da Vinci in Assassin's Creed II, you either got it or you didn't.

Which reminds me that I originally traded in ACII for RDR, oh to have the foresight not to make that decision.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: It felt like I did a whole bunch of stuff that didn't matter as soon as I was done.

It's like that moment when Bill has the one paragraph of information you need, but he's not going to tell you until you do everything he wants, and the things he has you accomplish don't impact your own story one bit. The whole time I was in Mexico I felt as though a particular character could allow me to solve my problems if he wanted to, but instead I had to run two dozens errands for him first.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's the big Mexico moment everyone keeps harping about? Man, I just don't get the RDR love. No more special than the silly ladder climb in MGS3.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Max_Cherry

They really Xboned it up.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@mlarrabee said:

Loading Video...

I really really still don't get people's beef with the Mexico bit. I actually really enjoyed most of it. I mean train robberies?! Fuck yeah!

Maybe it doesn't resonate with people who aren't Mexican? I'm Mexican and it was a blast going through Mexico and hearing all the people talk Spanish and get all "ranchero" all over the place. I don't know how it plays for others who don't understand Spanish or the culture.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By musubi

@demoskinos: It felt like I did a whole bunch of stuff that didn't matter as soon as I was done.

It's like that moment when Bill has the one paragraph of information you need, but he's not going to tell you until you do everything he wants, and the things he has you accomplish don't impact your own story one bit. The whole time I was in Mexico I felt as though a particular character could allow me to solve my problems if he wanted to, but instead I had to run two dozens errands for him first.

Well if were going that route then I'd argue 2/3rds of the game are exactly that. How many favors do you do for that snake oil salesman guy? A fuck-ton. He keeps promising you things and its always one more thing. Its one of my criticisms as a whole for the game Marston seems like a guy who doesn't take shit but then ends up being peoples bitch for most of the game. Apart from the narrative angle I found the things you did in Mexico pretty fun for the most part.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Gruebacca

Played the single-player twice and never had that happen to me. That would really suck. One of the best aspects of RDR is the atmosphere, and that song heightens it even further. That song really makes you feel that your journey has only begun and that it's only going to get uglier and uglier until the credits roll.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zombie2011

Same thing happened to me, I didn't even know about the song until I finished the game and a bunch of people were talking about in the forums. When I watched the video of it I was really pissed that I didn't get to go through that.

This is one of those game I regret never playing a second time. This and ME2 have to be the two best games this generation for me.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@mlarrabee said:

Loading Video...

/highfive. Also how can you say "It's not that great." and "it makes you feel like Clint Eastwood." while describing the same moment?! And yeah, the train stuff was great and Landon is a baller. I enjoyed all of Red Dead, Mexico included. People who hate the Mexico portion are just RACISTS, is all I'm saying.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a music cue later on that I missed because I happened to gallop across one of the three best horses in the game on the way to my destination. It was kind of a bummer.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I... never even knew... No regrets though. I enjoyed RDR quite a bit even without experiencing this moment.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wow so that's what I missed. I thought that I had my volume too low and that it played during the raft bit. Turns out that the game fucked up on me.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Don't remember this at all.

I thought the one everyone talked about was when you go to meet your wife and son finally.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Decided I was going to play through this game 'for reals' after abandoning it a few years ago, mostly because of the reverent tones given to it on the Gamespot podcast Rorie was on recently.

Anyway, I plug away until it's time to go to Mexico and finish the raft mission. Just as I get control again, I decide I don't want to use the crappy horse I've just been given and get off to whistle for my Kentucky Saddler.

Which, I've read afterwards, is what stopped the awesome music cue I've been hearing about from happening. At all. No song. Nada.

Bummer.

You know the exact same thing happened to me. The worst thing was that the song started and I pretty much got off my horse immediately to loot some bodies and then it started to fade away. So I only got 20 seconds of the song. It was just long enough for me to think this is awesome and then WTF why is the music "tied" to the horse? It completely ruined that moment for me. I just think it's straight up poor design and it's one of the many reasons why I don't enjoy that game as much as others. The game has serous pacing issues.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It's one of the top two moments of the generation for me. You're supposed to just live in the moment until its over.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was an amazing moment, sorry you missed it. But can you explain exactly what it was that made the music not cue? Like was it cut short to make room for the sound of your whistle or something?

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
    CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I had a awesome sunset on the horizon when doing that

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Capum15
    @xyzygy said:

It was an amazing moment, sorry you missed it. But can you explain exactly what it was that made the music not cue? Like was it cut short to make room for the sound of your whistle or something?

I think it's tied to the horse you start out on. The first time I played the game the music started right after I hit the button to get off the horse and I remember it fading really quick, though I can't remember if I got off to loot something or to call my own horse. Second run I knew to stay on the horse, and it was pretty awesome.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good moment but it pales in comparison to the epilogue and super late title card.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entire soundtrack of RDR is phenomenal but 'Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie' has to be one of the worst songs I have ever heard. It should be struck off from the CD or digital album.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far Away always gives me chills now thanks to RDR

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
    deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Restart the entire game from the beginning. It is the only way.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That didn't happen to me on the 360 version, but it did on the PS3 one.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Jimbo

It's actually that horse singing the song, which is why you don't get it if you switch to a shitty non-singing horse.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jeldh

Just play the song on a different device when you play the game, or sing it yourself like a real cowboy.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Exact same thing happened to me (down to the Kentucky Saddler being the horse I whistled for). Didn't stop this from becoming one of my all-time favorite games.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mustachio

I checked my map to set my horse GPS as soon as I got there. I think I heard maybe three seconds of the song.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exact same thing here, and what a shit easy way to fuck up a great moment. I recently replayed the game and messed up the sequence, again. I "solved" it by turning of the sound and just played the song through youtube...

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who replayed that sequence a few times, I can verify that--yes, if you get off the prescribed horse, the music stops. Period.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

The Mexico part goes on a little long, but it's hardly the "collecting boar hides in an MMO" part of RDR. The exposition and characters in that part of the game are well-executed and memorable.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still in my top 5 of the best moments of the generation. I don't get why they would stop the music if you get off the horse, that's dumb...

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dylabaloo

Happened to me too, no big deal, still really enjoyed the game.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#43 gamer_152  Moderator

Oh, that really sucks. You'd think a bug like that wouldn't slip through.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who didn't really like RDR (not the game's fault, I just hate westerns), that moment was downright beautiful. What an awesome surprise that was.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea this was in the game, played through it twice and missed it both times.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@demoskinos said:

@mlarrabee said:

Maybe it doesn't resonate with people who aren't Mexican? I'm Mexican and it was a blast going through Mexico and hearing all the people talk Spanish and get all "ranchero" all over the place. I don't know how it plays for others who don't understand Spanish or the culture.

It's been a while since I played that part, but as a gringo, my feelings on the Mexico section are that: A) it is the most fun area to run around cowboying it up, as it has the strongest sense of place/ looks the coolest, and B) it is possibly the worst written part of the entire game. Which is saying something, considering how god-awful the Blackwater bit is. And the Irish/Nigel sections. And the... you get my point.

I loved all the Spanish stuff, but the lazy moral cynicism/ shitty writing that's endemic to R* really ruined what could have been the most fun section of the game. Not only does half the stuff you do have nothing to do with anything, but in Mexico the writers suddenly forgot to give Marston any actual dialogue, so he just says "I'm lookin fer two men!" in response to anything anyone else says, the entire time. So it's not like you can even sympathize with him when he's burning down villages for no reason at all.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Wow, surprised that so many people missed that.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only part I disliked about Mexico, was the fellow (his name escapes me) who kept saying that I was a terrible shot. Sorry brother, I know your supposed to be the old gunslinger character who shows me how to be more than a thug, but I blast fools just fine.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, you got a moment later that will make up for it

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

@jimbo said:

It's actually that horse singing the song, which is why you don't get it if you switch to a shitty non-singing horse.

This would make a good post-ending easter egg cheat actually. Remember in GTA how if you left a car with the radio playing, you'd still be able to hear the music as you walked down the street? Would be cool if the horse continues to sing after you touch dirt, but you hear the song slowly fade out as he gets bored and walks off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.