Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Conquering the west the old fashioned way...without analog sticks

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Strongschwartz

Being the budget gamer that I am, I just came around to play Red Dead Redemption. It is like Rockstar looked into my soul, saw what game i would love and programmed it. But since it is "nit-picking-saturday" I won't go into detail how awesome it is but adress an issue I have with it: The lack of analog. No matter how hard you push the stick you walk. To run you have to tap the A button. While doing so, you have of course no control over the camera which leads to less control over hectic action-sequences, which leads to virtual death, which leads to anger in real life, which leads to broken controllers etc. etc.
    I remember when Sony introduced the Dual-Shock 2. It finally brought us out of the dark ages  into a bright and flashy future. Shooters, Plattformer and Racing games alike could be controlled smoothly, everybody was happy and world peace was at hand. But Rockstar and Rocksteady (The creators of awesome Arkham Asylum) simply don't seem to share that opinion. It's like Mercedes Benz would say: "yeah, suspensions make a car better but we are not into that, sorry". 
    Anyhow, that's what grinded my gears today. See you soon (maybe in another two years).

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Strongschwartz

Being the budget gamer that I am, I just came around to play Red Dead Redemption. It is like Rockstar looked into my soul, saw what game i would love and programmed it. But since it is "nit-picking-saturday" I won't go into detail how awesome it is but adress an issue I have with it: The lack of analog. No matter how hard you push the stick you walk. To run you have to tap the A button. While doing so, you have of course no control over the camera which leads to less control over hectic action-sequences, which leads to virtual death, which leads to anger in real life, which leads to broken controllers etc. etc.
    I remember when Sony introduced the Dual-Shock 2. It finally brought us out of the dark ages  into a bright and flashy future. Shooters, Plattformer and Racing games alike could be controlled smoothly, everybody was happy and world peace was at hand. But Rockstar and Rocksteady (The creators of awesome Arkham Asylum) simply don't seem to share that opinion. It's like Mercedes Benz would say: "yeah, suspensions make a car better but we are not into that, sorry". 
    Anyhow, that's what grinded my gears today. See you soon (maybe in another two years).

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SSully

Everyone feels your pain. I don't have a huge problem with it, but I think they could easily fix it. I think having R2 being run would be a great solution. I would say just have it vary on joystick sensitivity, but I feel that would make for weird moments when you just want to walk.Cover could easily be placed on Circle, while having Aim and Shoot be L1 and R1 respectively. Speaking of which, what the hell does L2 do again?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I don't recall that ever being an issue for me.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    I don't recall that ever being an issue for me.
    Same here.
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By yoshimitz707

I died like once in that whole game. So glad they toned the difficulty back from GTA IV.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Index finger on A, thumb on the camera, works for me.

Thought gamers were supposed to be good with their hands?

darkwingduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By darkwingduck

was more of an issue in gta4 for me, in rdr you actually run if you have a gun out, and thats normally when it matters the most. 
    i think they got it right with la noire in that regard - you run by holding down rt/r2  

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Strongschwartz
    @TaliciaDragonsong: Sure you can do that, as long as you don't need to take cover (RB) and shoot your gun (RT). Was your second sentence a masturbation joke?  If so, good one. ;)
    Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Strongschwartz
    @SSully: So many buttons... my head hurts.
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By MistaSparkle

It was barely ever a problem for me, and when i had to use all three at the same time I just used my chin :P

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By probablytuna

It took some time to getting used to, but after a few hours in, I had no problem with it and it now becomes second nature.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Strongschwartz said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong: Sure you can do that, as long as you don't need to take cover (RB) and shoot your gun (RT). Was your second sentence a masturbation joke?  If so, good one. ;)
    Left hand thumb on the left analoge, index and/or middlefinger on LB and LT, and my righthand's middlefinger on RB/RT.

Its not ideal, but it works pretty decent.
    Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Strongschwartz
    @TaliciaDragonsong: Your index finger is already on the A/X Button, remember? I know how to grab a controller but operating A for Sprint, right stick for camera and RT for shooting is simply impossible unless you have an awesome tentacle beard like Davy Jones.
    Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sarkhan
    @Strongschwartz said:
    Being the budget gamer that I am, I just came around to play Red Dead Redemption. It is like Rockstar looked into my soul, saw what game i would love and programmed it. But since it is "nit-picking-saturday" I won't go into detail how awesome it is but adress an issue I have with it: The lack of analog. No matter how hard you push the stick you walk. To run you have to tap the A button. While doing so, you have of course no control over the camera which leads to less control over hectic action-sequences, which leads to virtual death, which leads to anger in real life, which leads to broken controllers etc. etc. I remember when Sony introduced the Dual-Shock 2. It finally brought us out of the dark ages  into a bright and flashy future. Shooters, Plattformer and Racing games alike could be controlled smoothly, everybody was happy and world peace was at hand. But Rockstar and Rocksteady (The creators of awesome Arkham Asylum) simply don't seem to share that opinion. It's like Mercedes Benz would say: "yeah, suspensions make a car better but we are not into that, sorry".  Anyhow, that's what grinded my gears today. See you soon (maybe in another two years).
    With rape, balls=do like you want? Fuck off!
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By wrighteous86

I've never had an issue with this...ever.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Strongschwartz said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong: Your index finger is already on the A/X Button, remember? I know how to grab a controller but operating A for Sprint, right stick for camera and RT for shooting is simply impossible unless you have an awesome tentacle beard like Davy Jones.
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    @Strongschwartz said:
    Left hand thumb on the left analoge, index and/or middlefinger on LB and LT, and my righthand's middlefinger on RB/RT.  Its not ideal, but it works pretty decent.
    Read it, before I make a picture explaining it.
    My left index and/or middlefinger on LB and LT.
    My right index on any of the buttons (A/X/B/Y)
    My right middlefinger on RB/RT, if need be, my ring finger.
    Thumbs on the analoges.

Besides, you can't shoot while sprinting anyway, shooting or aiming takes you down to a slower, non sprinting, pace.
    And also, quickly using a occupied finger to press RB to switch into cover is hardly an amazing feat.

I may sound nitpicking by now, but this is how I've been playing for years and its far from hard.
    You must have a great time playing any pc game with more then 5 keybinds I presume.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pinworm45
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Read it, before I make a picture explaining it. My left index and/or middlefinger on LB and LT. My right index on any of the buttons (A/X/B/Y) My right middlefinger on RB/RT, if need be, my ring finger. Thumbs on the analoges.  Besides, you can't shoot while sprinting anyway, shooting or aiming takes you down to a slower, non sprinting, pace. And also, quickly using a occupied finger to press RB to switch into cover is hardly an amazing feat.  I may sound nitpicking by now, but this is how I've been playing for years and its far from hard. You must have a great time playing any pc game with more then 5 keybinds I presume.
    I either don't believe you can do this or am extremely impressed
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pinworm45
    Thanks.

Seriously, grab a Xbox controller and position your fingers like I said.
    Try playing with it for a bit.
    Its not ideal, but it works and gets the job done.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pinworm45
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    @Pinworm45:  Thanks.  Seriously, grab a Xbox controller and position your fingers like I said. Try playing with it for a bit. Its not ideal, but it works and gets the job done.
    I did and I literally can not do it. Even trying is painful for my fingers. Maybe too much carpel tunnel. I feel like you'll get the Claw from this though
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pinworm45
    My fingers are a tad more flexible then yours then I suppose.
    I've been using this concept in most GTA games tho, mashing A to sprint while controlling the camera (handy, you might get run over escaping cops or run into a roadblock etc) and to fluidly switch into cover or otherwise.
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Index finger on A, thumb on the camera, works for me.  Thought gamers were supposed to be good with their hands?
    This is exactly what I do. 
    I don't understand why it would be a problem though, really none of the sequences in Red Dead Redemption require that you do this at all.
    Apart from that equipping a weapon (unholstering) with enemies around will put you in to an auto-run mode so that you don't have to tap A to run.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hatking

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think you automatically run when you have a weapon drawn.  Maybe that's just multiplayer.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Evilsbane

Wait...Whats the issue?

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Deusoma
    @HatKing said:
    Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think you automatically run when you have a weapon drawn.  Maybe that's just multiplayer.
    No, that's singleplayer. They actually fixed the problem in multiplayer, so that it's "hold the stick out a little to walk, all the way to run, and hold down the A button to sprint." They seem to recognize that this is an issue, since they negated it for the portion where you really need fast reflexes, but they insist on implementing it in singleplayer mode. :P
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By sagesebas
    @Strongschwartz: I did notice the action parts got a little hectic to the point where I didn't fell 100% in control
    Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Strongschwartz
    @Vortexus1981: Try writing a whole sentence, then we try  this whole conversation thing again. ;)
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hatking
    @Deusoma said:
    @HatKing said:
    No, that's singleplayer. They actually fixed the problem in multiplayer, so that it's "hold the stick out a little to walk, all the way to run, and hold down the A button to sprint." They seem to recognize that this is an issue, since they negated it for the portion where you really need fast reflexes, but they insist on implementing it in singleplayer mode. :P
    I like the way you walk in the game, same for Grand Theft Auto IV.  Though I will agree that the button layout is not ideal for running and gunning.  I think LA Noire actually looked at this and took a step in the right direction by moving the run button to one of the shoulders.
    Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Strongschwartz
    @Evilsbane: The economy and politics. Just the usual.
    Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Juicebox

yeah after playing assassins creed of all games , i thought the controls and just overall clumsyness of movement was freaking primitive and a step wayyy behind , a place no one wants to go to. Damnit rockstar fix it.

Strongschwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Strongschwartz

Just playing Undead Nightmare and they fixed the auto-holstering! Woohoo, go Rockstar!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.