Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Do you think Red Dead Redemption will be like GTAIV?

• 55 results
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Before we all get super hyped for the game, remember GTAIV? the game that got those epic scores but ended up being ''meh''? Why wont this game be like that?

From what I have seen it looks fantastic and much better compared to GTAIV but GTAIV looked fantastic to.

So what do you think the game will turn out to be like?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" Before we all get super hyped for the game, remember GTAIV? the game that got those epic scores but ended up being ''meh''? Why wont this game be like that?  From what I have seen it looks fantastic and much better compared to GTAIV but GTAIV looked fantastic to.  So what do you think the game will turn out to be like? "

A game that is all ready get perfect scores.  

There are plenty of topics all ready made with peoples views. And lots of quote about how its different then GTA.  

If you wanna see the game played just go to Justin.Tv
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By raviolisumo

People think GTA4 is meh? Wtf is wrong with you?

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

I hope it's as good as GTAIV.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Wes899 said:
    " People think GTA4 is meh? Wtf is wrong with you? "
    GTAIV was not nearly as good as the other games.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

" Before we all get super hyped for the game, remember GTAIV? the game that got those epic scores but ended up being ''meh''? Why wont this game be like that?  From what I have seen it looks fantastic and much better compared to GTAIV but GTAIV looked fantastic to.  So what do you think the game will turn out to be like? "

A game that is all ready get perfect scores.   There are plenty of topics all ready made with peoples views. And lots of quote about how its different then GTA.   If you wanna see the game played just go to Justin.Tv "
    GTAIV was getting perfect scores.
    callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By callumbay

GTA IV was 'meh'? News to me. I thought it was amazing.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @iizcallum said:
    " GTA IV was 'meh'? News to me. I thought it was amazing. "
    There were lots of mixed opinions on the game.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @iizcallum said:
    There were lots of mixed opinions on the game. "
    So far no one has not liked the game. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @iizcallum said:
    So far no one has not liked the game.  "
    Out of 4 people...
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @iizcallum said:
    So far no one has not liked the game.  "
    Out of 4 people... "
    I doubt only 4 people played the game before reviewing it. 
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Dustpan

I thought GTAIV was amazing. From what I've heard, it feels a lot like GTAIV.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By alternate

Way to retcon history.  While I am no fan of the "perfect" review GTA got almost exclusive high praise in the press and while there are plenty of dissenters, if still pretty much loved by the general audience.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By phantomzxro

While you maybe right in it not deserving a perfect score it still was a  great game. My only think i did not like about the game was the shooting and lock on tech was a little broken for it to based on a very realistic  engine where your would dead at the drop of a hit if you got hit the wrong way while in the middle of a shoot out. In that case i need the shooting and lock on to be on par with what is happening around me. 

Anyway i don't think you should even compare the two these games may have the same sandbox feel but i think RDR will have a very different feel to it. But if you want to compare for me i say the shooting and lock on both looked improve because that is more of a focus in this game. Also the online looks to be improved from GTA in every way, so for me this fixes all the problems i had with gta. But in the end i can say there will be more stuff to do that will be just fun to do,  rather then just very cool things in the world that was just impressive to put in the world but not very fun to do such in GTA.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Rowr

wtf is wrong with everyone, GTA4 was amazing. It didnt get those scores for no reason.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Illmatic

I actually really liked GTA IV. My only qualm with the game was that coming from how much variety San Andreas had in terms of things to do other than story missions, GTA IV fell flat.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Carlos1408

I much preferred GTAIV to its predecessors. This will hopefully be even better than that :) 
    I can see similarities in both games but I'm sure they are very different! :D

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By sopranosfan

As long as it is like GTA4 I will be happy as long as I don't have to fly that helicopter.  Which would be bizarre if I did.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

I really enjoyed GTA4 but its distinct lack of variety with the activities, repetitive missions and drop down on character customisation hampered alot of its potential for me. This is where RDR looks to greatly improve upon. Well I can't say for the repetitive missions, but the activities available and the sole reason of exploring the world to actually explore, already looks like a success with its variety.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Skytylz said:
    " I hope it's as good as GTAIV. "
    Yep, I thought GTAIV was just amazing.  I cried a few times during story parts, and I've never actually cried during any game or film (I've got wattery eyes, but no tears).  I never got into other GTA games nearly as much.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Spoonman671

GTA4 was great if you like PS2 games that look like PS3 games.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DystopiaX
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

A game that is all ready get perfect scores.   There are plenty of topics all ready made with peoples views. And lots of quote about how its different then GTA.   If you wanna see the game played just go to Justin.Tv "
    this. And I liked GTA IV. Stop making assumptions cause you hated it. 

Also, the only thing similar about this is the engine, the open world (and this has been done so many times it doesn't matter), and the MAIN mission structure. Side mission work differently- there aren't any markers. People ask you to do shit and you either do it or don't. I like that system better than "HEY I'M IN A COP CAR! LET'S SHOOT 'CRIMINALS'!"
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By carlthenimrod

If you put a game on a high enough pedestal it will disappoint you regardless of how good it actually is. I really enjoyed GTA IV, but I also went into it with realistic expectations.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#24  Edited By Soap

GTA IV was FAR from "Meh" it was one of the most engaging and alive games I've ever played.

I'm hoping Red Dead follows suit.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By landon

GTA IV was the best game that came out that year.

I also find it bogus that people think a compelling argument for not hyping this game is "Remember GTA IV?" Yeah I do. It was awesome.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

this. And I liked GTA IV. Stop making assumptions cause you hated it.  Also, the only thing similar about this is the engine, the open world (and this has been done so many times it doesn't matter), and the MAIN mission structure. Side mission work differently- there aren't any markers. People ask you to do shit and you either do it or don't. I like that system better than "HEY I'M IN A COP CAR! LET'S SHOOT 'CRIMINALS'!" "
    Many people disliked the game.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hourai

The main problem with GTA IV for me is that the combat is awful. Luckily the combat in RDR seems really good. 

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

this. And I liked GTA IV. Stop making assumptions cause you hated it.  Also, the only thing similar about this is the engine, the open world (and this has been done so many times it doesn't matter), and the MAIN mission structure. Side mission work differently- there aren't any markers. People ask you to do shit and you either do it or don't. I like that system better than "HEY I'M IN A COP CAR! LET'S SHOOT 'CRIMINALS'!" "
    Ive given up. OP seems to just be grasping at straws because he might not have liked GTA. I did not like GTA. But I admit it was a good game. Large and at time freaking awesome. I just got bored because of the intro. And some of the repeative stuff. 
    eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eric_buck

First off, how the hell was GTA IV meh?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Eric_Buck said:

" First off, how the hell was GTA IV meh? "

It was way to repetitive and the shooting mechanics, fighting etc where no were near as good as they could have been.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DystopiaX
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

Many people disliked the game. "
    And more people liked it. You still seem to make the dumb assumption that because you saw 10 other people saying "This game sucks, I'm not even a gangster anymore/can't hit people with dildos and the cars actually move realistically" everyone hated it. 

I loved it. It was the first game I got on my 360 and I played it for over 60 hours.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By landon
    @Eric_Buck said:
    It wasn't made up of filler like San Andreas was and fans got mad.
    Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By killer_meatballs

I loved GTA4.  Can only hope RDR comes close to it, which I'm sure it will. 

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

And more people liked it. You still seem to make the dumb assumption that because you saw 10 other people saying "This game sucks, I'm not even a gangster anymore/can't hit people with dildos and the cars actually move realistically" everyone hated it.  I loved it. It was the first game I got on my 360 and I played it for over 60 hours. "
    10 people? I know you don't mean literately but you make it seem like only a small majority didn't like it, that is not true.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DystopiaX
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

And more people liked it. You still seem to make the dumb assumption that because you saw 10 other people saying "This game sucks, I'm not even a gangster anymore/can't hit people with dildos and the cars actually move realistically" everyone hated it.  I loved it. It was the first game I got on my 360 and I played it for over 60 hours. "
    10 people? I know you don't mean literately but you make it seem like only a small majority didn't like it, that is not true. "
    ugggh...last thing Im going to say is that a LOT more people liked it than not. Also, even if 80% of people didn't like it you still shouldn't make the assumption in the topic post that everyone hated it. No one does that even for games that are widely hated by the community and critics. Not Big Rigs, not Deadly Premonition, and GTA IV is a lot better than either.
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

Well GTAIV is one of my favorite games of all time so if RDR is even close to GTA then I will be stoked.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

10 people? I know you don't mean literately but you make it seem like only a small majority didn't like it, that is not true. "
    ugggh...last thing Im going to say is that a LOT more people liked it than not. Also, even if 80% of people didn't like it you still shouldn't make the assumption in the topic post that everyone hated it. No one does that even for games that are widely hated by the community and critics. Not Big Rigs, not Deadly Premonition, and GTA IV is a lot better than either. "

I never said a lot of people did like it, and I am fine if you do. I never said that you did not have to like the game because I didn't.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Guys, I think we are at the point were we don't have to put ''IMO'' at the end of everything we say. It is pretty obvious that people will disagree on games.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Jeust
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Eric_Buck said:

It was way to repetitive and the shooting mechanics, fighting etc where no were near as good as they could have been. "
    I agree with you, but i never had much love for the series.It always grew old too fast... 

@DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

ugggh...last thing Im going to say is that a LOT more people liked it than not. Also, even if 80% of people didn't like it you still shouldn't make the assumption in the topic post that everyone hated it. No one does that even for games that are widely hated by the community and critics. Not Big Rigs, not Deadly Premonition, and GTA IV is a lot better than either. "

I'd prefer Deadly Premonition to either of them though.  

To me GTA doesn't offer all that much variety. Still R* should be commended for their work. 
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DystopiaX
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    This post strongly implies that all hated GTA IV.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    This post strongly implies that all hated GTA IV. "
    People will always be divided on games, this is obviously more for the people who disliked GTAIV since if you liked it, you have nothing to worry about.
    Microsteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Microsteve

GTAIV is awesome, and RDR looks like the game I've been waiting for since forever, the ultimate Western game and I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it!

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By yinstarrunner

I liked San Andreas a lot more than GTAIV.  I was pretty amazed by GTAIV when it first came out, but as time went by I began realizing that most of what I liked about the game was all flash and little substance.  But that's just my opinion.

After playing Just Cause 2 I think I'm over "sandbox" games.  At least for a little bit.  This means I'm not hyped at all for RDR, which is a shame because I normally really like the western environment.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By Potter9156
    @NekuSakuraba said:

What the crap? Speak for yourself. GTAIV was fantastic. And if RDR is anywhere near as good, I'll be more than satisfied with my purchase. 
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By mosespippy

The shooting in GTA is clunky and slow. It suits old shitty guns better than the modern weapons of GTA. I imagine that a horse is hard to control, kind of like in SotC. The bad controls from GTA4 vehicles will convey that difficulty well. The online will probably be shit just like GTA was.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @iizcallum said:
    agreed
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Rhaknar

I hope not because I couldn't finish GTA4

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gregomasta
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @DystopiaX said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:
    This post strongly implies that all hated GTA IV. "
    People will always be divided on games, this is obviously more for the people who disliked GTAIV since if you liked it, you have nothing to worry about. "
    See, the problem is Neku is generalizing, It's bad writing and it usually turns off the reader.  The reader doesn't want to be told what their opinion is or should be.  If Neku re-wrote his original post in a more personal manner it would improve his point.

As regards to your topic, neku, I enjoyed Grand Theft Auto IV greatly.  The similarity's to Grand Theft Auto IV are getting me excited to play Red Dead Redemption.
    Krazy_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Krazy_D

AggregatorScore
    GameRankingsX360: 96.31%
    PS3: 97.31%
    MetacriticX360: 98/100
    PS3: 98/100

Yeah OP, all the people in this thread are wrong, and so are all the reviewers, everyone HATED this game, I personally loved it-- because, you know, it was amazing ?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HandsomeDead

GTAIV is fantastic. I don't know where you're getting meh from unless you wanted more stupid gimmicks, in which case that game wasn't for you, Saints Row II was.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.