Does The Multiplayer Even Exist Anymore?

Avatar image for manbot47
#1 Posted by manbot47 (338 posts) -

A couple weeks ago I got an itch to play Red Dead again, and after beating single player i tried multi-player. But every time i try to start it freezes at the load screen. I tried again today and the same thing happened. Does anyone know if the servers even exist anymore or is this game totally dead?

Avatar image for ketchupp
#2 Posted by Ketchupp (687 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it's going and there's a Triple XP Weekend going on.

Avatar image for razielcuts
#3 Posted by RazielCuts (3271 posts) -
Avatar image for kindgineer
#4 Posted by kindgineer (3088 posts) -

Last time I checked, yeah.

Avatar image for hatking
#5 Posted by HatKing (7270 posts) -

Yeah, RockStar does an amazing job of supporting their games after release. They still do events for GTAIV multiplayer.

Avatar image for ajayraz
#6 Posted by AjayRaz (12809 posts) -

@HatKing said:

Yeah, RockStar does an amazing job of supporting their games after release. They still do events for GTAIV multiplayer.

now only if they did something to get rid of the hackers that plague public matches ; ;

Online
Avatar image for gaminghooligan
#7 Posted by gaminghooligan (1821 posts) -

go back man! lol had the same itch about a month ago and even got my friends to join in the free roam fun. Game is alive and well, I was hard pressed to find a vacant public free roam. R* is just solid about keeping the servers up, hell they even still have social club events for it advertise on there site

Avatar image for mitsuko_souma
#8 Posted by mitsuko_souma (138 posts) -

I tried playing it a few months ago and kept get getting booted from matches because I don't have any DLC maps. There seemed to still be a lot of people playing though, so if you have the DLC or are just playing free roam, go for it.

Avatar image for hatking
#9 Posted by HatKing (7270 posts) -
@AjayRaz In what game? I've been playing a bunch of Max Payne recently without any trouble. I don't recall hackers being an issue in the other games either, but it's been a long time since I played them.
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -

Yeah it's still going strong but beware of high level players. There's some great fun in getting a group of friends together and stealing a fort or town from another gang and holding them back for as long as you can.

Avatar image for ajayraz
#11 Posted by AjayRaz (12809 posts) -

@HatKing said:

@AjayRaz In what game? I've been playing a bunch of Max Payne recently without any trouble. I don't recall hackers being an issue in the other games either, but it's been a long time since I played them.

GTA IV. the online is full of dudes who spawn cars, have infinite health and teleport around the city

Online
Avatar image for hatking
#12 Posted by HatKing (7270 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@HatKing said:

@AjayRaz In what game? I've been playing a bunch of Max Payne recently without any trouble. I don't recall hackers being an issue in the other games either, but it's been a long time since I played them.

GTA IV. the online is full of dudes who spawn cars, have infinite health and teleport around the city

Wow. That's kind of crazy. But, in a weird way, sounds awesome - outside competitive gametypes, that is.

Avatar image for mrpandaman
#13 Posted by mrpandaman (957 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Yeah it's still going strong but beware of high level players. There's some great fun in getting a group of friends together and stealing a fort or town from another gang and holding them back for as long as you can.

Or getting all your friends inside a carriage and then driving off a cliff. Also taking them to cougar cabin.

Avatar image for ajayraz
#14 Posted by AjayRaz (12809 posts) -

@HatKing said:

@AjayRaz said:

@HatKing said:

@AjayRaz In what game? I've been playing a bunch of Max Payne recently without any trouble. I don't recall hackers being an issue in the other games either, but it's been a long time since I played them.

GTA IV. the online is full of dudes who spawn cars, have infinite health and teleport around the city

Wow. That's kind of crazy. But, in a weird way, sounds awesome - outside competitive gametypes, that is.

i bet it's awesome for those guys doing it. although, i've been banned on other game services before for playing in a lobby with hackers, despite not hacking myself. considering how spotty Microsoft's policies can be, it's not in my best interest to stick around with hackers for very long.

Online
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
#15 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7097 posts) -

@mrpandaman said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

Yeah it's still going strong but beware of high level players. There's some great fun in getting a group of friends together and stealing a fort or town from another gang and holding them back for as long as you can.

Or getting all your friends inside a carriage and then driving off a cliff. Also taking them to cougar cabin.

Oh god the memories of that cabin. A showdown between a friend resulted in my XBL party getting very quiet, everyone staring at me because there was a goddamn bear behind me and no one said anything. We all died. Good times.

Avatar image for markwahlberg
#16 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4714 posts) -

I really hope it still works. Starting random, long-running grudge matches in Free Roam was always fun, although the actual competitive deathmatch not so much. I'm always just disappointed they never utilized the trains for anything. Train Heists or Train-based King of the Hill would have been the best.

Avatar image for manbot47
#17 Posted by manbot47 (338 posts) -

there must be something up with mine then cause it still doesn't work. plus every time i try to load up the undead nightmare it boots me back to the dashboard. maybe my game is just jacked

Avatar image for handlas
#18 Posted by handlas (3176 posts) -

Yeah, somethings up with ur game.

I jumped back into MP fully expecting it to be a wasteland. Nope, lots of people are just riding around in Free Roam. Played one Gang match and found plenty of people as well.

Guess since it's a Rockstar game and unique (not many westerns) maybe people stick around longer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.