Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

I did not really like it.(Maybe some spoilers)

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By kingofpeanuts

Red dead redemption is very well built game, ignoring the infrequent bugs and control issues, but I did not really enjoy it. I am so close to the end, but really have no urge to finish it.  I started to skip cut scenes near the end because I wanted it over with, and by the end I had come to hate John Marston. His character goes on a series of similar events with similar outcomes and people always betray him; he just never seems to learn from his past events or connect two situations together. I was really annoyed with his character, something that rarely happens to me, but I wanted Johns story over by the end. I left the game after Dutch dies and he goes back to his farm with his family. It is obvious that something bad will most likely happen, the game would not put you through some boring farming missions just to finish at a happy point. But I really don't care what happens anymore. The combat wasn't very enjoyable and the way the horse controls almost drove me crazy, and those stupid herding cow mini games drove me insane.  I was wondering if anyone else feels this way, I am just saying how I feel about this game not saying it is a bad game. It is a good game I don't like.  Also wondering if you have any games that are well made and good but you don't like.
    Your sleepy friend 
    Adam

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kingofpeanuts

Red dead redemption is very well built game, ignoring the infrequent bugs and control issues, but I did not really enjoy it. I am so close to the end, but really have no urge to finish it.  I started to skip cut scenes near the end because I wanted it over with, and by the end I had come to hate John Marston. His character goes on a series of similar events with similar outcomes and people always betray him; he just never seems to learn from his past events or connect two situations together. I was really annoyed with his character, something that rarely happens to me, but I wanted Johns story over by the end. I left the game after Dutch dies and he goes back to his farm with his family. It is obvious that something bad will most likely happen, the game would not put you through some boring farming missions just to finish at a happy point. But I really don't care what happens anymore. The combat wasn't very enjoyable and the way the horse controls almost drove me crazy, and those stupid herding cow mini games drove me insane.  I was wondering if anyone else feels this way, I am just saying how I feel about this game not saying it is a bad game. It is a good game I don't like.  Also wondering if you have any games that are well made and good but you don't like.
    Your sleepy friend 
    Adam

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By eristocrat

Maybe you are beyond the point of no return with RDR but you should finish it as it has the best ending of any video game ever.  I don't even really like RDR that much but the ending is easily my favorite part.  Finish it if you are close.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @Eristocrat said:
    "Maybe you are beyond the point of no return with RDR but you should finish it as it has the best ending of any video game ever.  I don't even really like RDR that much but the ending is easily my favorite part.  Finish it if you are close. "

Pretty much this, except I loved the game in general :P
    kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingofpeanuts
    @Eristocrat: ok
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Akrid

I'm pretty much the same way. I found his passive acceptance of everything that happens to him really frustrating, and I didn't like any of the characters except Bonnie. It also always felt like I was completing quest lines. In GTAIV they did a pretty good job with interweaving the plot, but as soon as I finished with a character in RDR I knew I would never have any meaningful interaction with them again so I never got too attached.

I still definitely enjoyed the game though, the atmosphere is fantastic and I like the gameplay. The story is the main thing that bugs me, but mostly because it seems like it has so much untapped potential.

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eristocrat
    @kingofpeanuts: Good job. Tell me how you like that ending.  

Oh, and get to end credits, that game tricks you into thinking it ends before the credits roll.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss

I understand and appreciate the issues people may have taken with his reactions, but for me, I felt like every bullshit mission I accepted was a tortured man's way of saying "I hope I will make enough friends to protect my family from the enemies I've made".

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lucas_kelly

Don't know what you are talking about, loved every second of the game.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

I do agree with what you said about John being a pushover, but since he goes along with everything you learn it as part of his character (aka he is not as mean as he lets on).  It becomes a tragic flaw for him as the game goes on.  And the ending was one of the best endings in any game, so yeah, finish it.  Absolutely love the game.

@ProfessorEss said:

" I understand and appreciate the issues people may have taken with his reactions, but for me, I felt like every bullshit mission I accepted was a tortured man's way of saying "I hope I will make enough friends to protect my family from the enemies I've made". "

Interesting take on it, I like that too.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

The game did drag at the end, but overall I still enjoyed it. As for the horse controls, I thought they were awesome. Maybe that's whey I didn't mind the herding missions. Of all the herding missions, I think I lost only one cow.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Yeah the farm shit at the end made me want to shoot myself....and I wasn't even playing!

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingofpeanuts
    @Claude: I had like 6 cows run of the cliff. I got in front on them but they didn't stop. My horse also got stuck on objects and I managed to make it through almost the whole game on one horse when it  followed me into a gun fight and died. I also hate horses in real life, when I was 9 a horse ate my ice cream. 
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Claude
    @kingofpeanuts:  I hope that horse got a belly ache. That bastard, preying on young children and their ice cream.
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheMustacheHero said:

" Yeah the farm shit at the end made me want to shoot myself....and I wasn't even playing! "

Huh.  Personally, it made me really appreciate Rockstar's story telling.  You got to settle down some in your missions as John was trying to in his life, and it made me really care about John's family in a very limited amount of time which is impressive.  I thought that whole portion was amazing and extremely well done. 

@Claude said:
    "  As for the horse controls, I thought they were awesome. Maybe that's whey I didn't mind the herding missions. Of all the herding missions, I think I lost only one cow. "

Another thing I don't understand complaints on is the mounted controls.  They were the best of any game I've ever played.  It gave you a great amount of control while still making it feel like you were riding an animal.

Anyways, if I was you peanuts I wouldn't of let the horse get away with it scott free.  I would of given him one of these:

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingofpeanuts
    @Claude: I learned never to turn your back on a horse.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Claude said:
    As for the horse controls, I thought they were awesome.
    Yeah for me the horse controls were one of those "things".
    It was one of those real but not real things, where I feel the developer said "riding a horse is too much work to accurately portray in a videogame that's not a horseriding sim", so let's put this pump function in to accent the fact that you are controlling an animal without drawing too much focus or being too demanding.

Frankly, I would have more complaints about the walking than the riding if I wasn't a mindless, droolling, RDRGOTY RDRGOTYer.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Claude
    @ProfessorEss:  Sometimes the running would look funny as hell. Slow was fine, fast was okay, but there was this middle ground where Marston looked like he had a stick shoved up his ass. Made me laugh every time. It still didn't bother me. GTA IV's running animation looked funny too.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BBQBram

If you didn't get the point of the (trivial) farm missions, you probably don't like where Rockstar will continue to take video games. It's about immersion, pacing, etc.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By DjCmeP
    @Eristocrat said:
    " Maybe you are beyond the point of no return with RDR but you should finish it as it has the best ending of any video game ever.  I don't even really like RDR that much but the ending is easily my favorite part.  Finish it if you are close. "
    I liked the game. But I hated the ending.
    StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StingerMK2

i feel this way about pretty much all rockstar games, i havnt liked GTA since it went 3d, something about the way they do things just bores me, Red Deads story kept me interested for all of about 40 minutes, then i spent many hours fucking around with the minigames, i went back to the story, get to mexico, the transistion to which i thought was absolutely beautiful. but then i lose interest again shortly after 

i think its got something to do with the formulaic approach they have to the story missions in these games,  

Ride/Drive to the letter on the minimap --> get a short cut scene --> do crappy mission --> get a slightly longer cut scene --> rinse and repeat 

at a certain point it just starts to feel really gamey to me and i see right through it to the point all the excelent characters and cinematography just get lost in a sea of mediocrity, 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I wouldn't say I hated it, I loved the setting of the game and parts of the story.. But yeah, much of it before then is very plodding.  Like you said, he constantly gets betrayed, and pushed into doing stupid tasks for people who could easily slap around, let alone if he stuck a gun in their face.  It all seemed rather odd, Clint Eastwood would never have been seen doing half of the crap Marston did and by Mexico I did feel somewhat disconnected from the story because I just couldn't take it seriously.  But things really do step up once you get to Blackwater.  The events are more intense and there's actually a reason there for him to be doing what he's doing, and not just being conned into things. 

It's why I felt it shouldn't be on my GoTY list, but I'd definitely recommend continuing until the end.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By EuanDewar

Chances are at this point Red Deads ending wont win you over if you haven't been liking it. Its really not that great.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @StingerMK2 said:
    " i feel this way about pretty much all rockstar games, i havnt liked GTA since it went 3d, something about the way they do things just bores me, Red Deads story kept me interested for all of about 40 minutes, then i spent many hours fucking around with the minigames, i went back to the story, get to mexico, the transistion to which i thought was absolutely beautiful. but then i lose interest again shortly after  i think its got something to do with the formulaic approach they have to the story missions in these games,   Ride/Drive to the letter on the minimap --> get a short cut scene --> do crappy mission --> get a slightly longer cut scene --> rinse and repeat  at a certain point it just starts to feel really gamey to me and i see right through it to the point all the excelent characters and cinematography just get lost in a sea of mediocrity,  "
    Agreed completely on their archaic mission structure. GTA IV at least attempted to weave all of the different quest givers' plots together in some form or another. A major problem of RDR is that Rockstar likes to treat characters as expendable. They create these characters that sometimes really hit the player and they like having the character around, only for their story to be over a few missions later and BOOM, totally forgotten. 

Bonnie and the Marshal are great characters, ones that I think Marston would've returned to if not for aid then just to see what's what later in the game. Never happens until Bonnie's corn gets messed up. Even then it's just a short "Hey need some help okay laterz". I don't know if it's a lack of talent or a desire to stick to the GTA 3 formula, but it's gotta end. Seriously. They invented the modern open world game, now it's time they freshen up the design.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CptBedlam
    @kingofpeanuts: When you already skipped cutscenes, the end won't have the same impact on you because you missed a lot of narrative. You might as well just stop playing now.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I wouldn't say I hated it, I loved the setting of the game and parts of the story.. But yeah, much of it before then is very plodding.  Like you said, he constantly gets betrayed, and pushed into doing stupid tasks for people who could easily slap around, let alone if he stuck a gun in their face.  It all seemed rather odd, Clint Eastwood would never have been seen doing half of the crap Marston did and by Mexico I did feel somewhat disconnected from the story because I just couldn't take it seriously.  But things really do step up once you get to Blackwater.  The events are more intense and there's actually a reason there for him to be doing what he's doing, and not just being conned into things.  It's why I felt it shouldn't be on my GoTY list, but I'd definitely recommend continuing until the end. "
    The way I see it, John was in desperation mode from the start. His family was taken and he was forced to complete this task before he could get them back. You and the OP mention him doing stupid crap, and coming back again and again to people that would betray him. Isn't that what you would do in that situation though? Sure, sticking a gun in someones face and going renegade would make for a more exciting game, but if your family was on the line, I think it would be really tough to make a rash decision like that. 

Besides, this isn't called "Clint Eastwood in Red Dead Redemption". They're different people with different personalities. At least that's how I see it.
    eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By eristocrat
    @DjCmeP said:
    " @Eristocrat said:
    " Maybe you are beyond the point of no return with RDR but you should finish it as it has the best ending of any video game ever.  I don't even really like RDR that much but the ending is easily my favorite part.  Finish it if you are close. "
    I liked the game. But I hated the ending. "
    Really?  I guess I was just super impressed because it is pretty much the only game I've ever played where I felt the ending actually had meaningful ramifications on the social and philosophical statements of the game. Plus, it is a ballsy-ass ending for an open world game.
    kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kingofpeanuts
    @Eristocrat: It was ok, I didn't think I was bad but I also saw it coming.
    eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By eristocrat

Hope you at least thought that it was worth your time.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#29  Edited By sarahsdad
    @KingWilly said:
    " @StingerMK2 said:
    "i think its got something to do with the formulaic approach they have to the story missions in these games,   Ride/Drive to the letter on the minimap --> get a short cut scene --> do crappy mission --> get a slightly longer cut scene --> rinse and repeat  at a certain point it just starts to feel really gamey to me and i see right through it to the point all the excelent characters and cinematography just get lost in a sea of mediocrity,  "
    Agreed completely on their archaic mission structure. GTA IV at least attempted to weave all of the different quest givers' plots together in some form or another. A major problem of RDR is that Rockstar likes to treat characters as expendable. They create these characters that sometimes really hit the player and they like having the character around, only for their story to be over a few missions later and BOOM, totally forgotten.  Bonnie and the Marshal are great characters, ones that I think Marston would've returned to if not for aid then just to see what's what later in the game. Never happens until Bonnie's corn gets messed up. Even then it's just a short "Hey need some help okay laterz". I don't know if it's a lack of talent or a desire to stick to the GTA 3 formula, but it's gotta end. Seriously. They invented the modern open world game, now it's time they freshen up the design. "
    Some of this, definitely; it hit me hardest in Mexico, maybe because most of mexico felt so barren that it was as if there wasn't anything to do besides the missions. 
    I'm pretty sure I've posted this in a another thread, but personally I would rather have had a single story thread that took Marston around the world, than to have two or three open "character" arcs that you know will each have a set number of missions, that may or may not overlap with one another.
    kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kingofpeanuts
    @Eristocrat: yeah, it didn't feel like It wasted my time. It was entertaining so it served its purpose.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I can understand the objections on a mechanical level, but the narrative, particularly characterisation and thematic depth, as well as the presentation, were absurdly good. You'd skip the cutscenes in that game? Anyway, if you want great cover-based combat and fluid movement there's always Vanquish.

Raulito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Raulito

I really didn't like the Mexico story missions because I was being forced to work for two dirt bags and couldn't do anything about it. At least in GTA 4, there were moments where I could decide to kill off characters I didn't like aka Playboy X and it shape the story to end differently. I know it would take a lot of resources to make the story as open ended as Fallout or Mass Effect but going from those games to one where I have no agency at all just rubs me the wrong way. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@kingofpeanuts said:
    " Red dead redemption is very well built game, ignoring the infrequent bugs and control issues, but I did not really enjoy it. I am so close to the end, but really have no urge to finish it.  I started to skip cut scenes near the end because I wanted it over with, and by the end I had come to hate John Marston. His character goes on a series of similar events with similar outcomes and people always betray him; he just never seems to learn from his past events or connect two situations together. I was really annoyed with his character, something that rarely happens to me, but I wanted Johns story over by the end. I left the game after Dutch dies and he goes back to his farm with his family. It is obvious that something bad will most likely happen, the game would not put you through some boring farming missions just to finish at a happy point. But I really don't care what happens anymore. The combat wasn't very enjoyable and the way the horse controls almost drove me crazy, and those stupid herding cow mini games drove me insane.  I was wondering if anyone else feels this way, I am just saying how I feel about this game not saying it is a bad game. It is a good game I don't like.  Also wondering if you have any games that are well made and good but you don't like.Your sleepy friend Adam "
    Likewise, mate. The game forces you to accept that John's fate won't be a happy one; not only that, but it constantly reiterates that Marston is an anachronism. I liked RDR, at least from a gameplay experience, up until the end.
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By stinky

i avoid rockstar games in general, their games begin with the premise that you like the main character.  
    so if you don't you most likely won't like the game because it forces you to be that character.  

much prefer bioware's or bethseda's attitude where you are shaping the story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Claude said:
    " The game did drag at the end, but overall I still enjoyed it. As for the horse controls, I thought they were awesome. Maybe that's whey I didn't mind the herding missions. Of all the herding missions, I think I lost only one cow. "
    You're a natural born herder, Claude.
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By MildMolasses
    @Raulito said:
    "I really didn't like the Mexico story missions because I was being forced to work for two dirt bags and couldn't do anything about it. At least in GTA 4, there were moments where I could decide to kill off characters I didn't like aka Playboy X and it shape the story to end differently. I know it would take a lot of resources to make the story as open ended as Fallout or Mass Effect but going from those games to one where I have no agency at all just rubs me the wrong way.  "

The Mexican dirtbags were probably my least favourite part of the game. Not because it was bad, but because it didn't end in a satisfying manner. I remember Brad saying on the bombcast that everyone gets what they deserve, but all the while I was in Mexico, I wanted to ice that revolutionary guy for the way he was treating that girl that was in love with him. When I was finished, he was still alive and she was dead. I appreciate the risks that they took with the story, but that was the only one I didn't like at all.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BBQBram
    @MildMolasses: So what you're saying is there was injustice in the story, and it moved you? Seems about right for a western I'd say.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the game didn't have everything recharge for you, it would've been a lot better.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jmfinamore
    @Akrid: I really agree with that last point. I loved the game, but still felt like the story could have been so much more. For such a long game, they really choose to hammer down to death the point that Marston has "done bad things but only to bad people, and all he wants is to see his family". Instead of giving us more insight into his past or fleshing him out more. It's unfortunate because there was a lot of story potential, and the acting was there to really sell it.
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MildMolasses said:
    " @Raulito said:
    "I really didn't like the Mexico story missions because I was being forced to work for two dirt bags and couldn't do anything about it. At least in GTA 4, there were moments where I could decide to kill off characters I didn't like aka Playboy X and it shape the story to end differently. I know it would take a lot of resources to make the story as open ended as Fallout or Mass Effect but going from those games to one where I have no agency at all just rubs me the wrong way.  "
    The Mexican dirtbags were probably my least favourite part of the game. Not because it was bad, but because it didn't end in a satisfying manner. I remember Brad saying on the bombcast that everyone gets what they deserve, but all the while I was in Mexico, I wanted to ice that revolutionary guy for the way he was treating that girl that was in love with him. When I was finished, he was still alive and she was dead. I appreciate the risks that they took with the story, but that was the only one I didn't like at all. "
    Play undead nightmare and you can get some satisfaction that you're looking for.  That DLC had a few points like that, that part when you blow up Wes Dickens' ruse gave me that same satisfaction.
    kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kingofpeanuts
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud: I was hoping for something like that. I bought it because it was on sale and was worried that it would be more of the same. Thanks for the heads up.
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingofpeanuts said:

" @Stephen_Von_Cloud: I was hoping for something like that. I bought it because it was on sale and was worried that it would be more of the same. Thanks for the heads up. "

Yeah with things going to hell all over John stops going along with the BS as much.  To the point where it's kind of messed up.  A few times he just watches people get eaten by zombies that he could easily kill and you have to say "wow, John's a pretty cold dude right now", but that's kind of awesome from playing the rest of the game.  Undead Nightmare was great for a lot of reasons and that was part of it.
    Gung_Ho_Afro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gung_Ho_Afro
    @Claude:

hmmm strange - thought Mexico dragged significantly more than any other part of the game

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I really enjoyed RDR but as for games that were well made that I didn't enjoy, probably halo Reach. 
    donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By donkeycow

I think Red Dead is one of those games you either "get" or you don't.  Everything in that game was crafted for a very specific reason and to make the experiance just the way Rockstar wanted it.  For example, the farm missions were INTENTIONALLY slow paced and mundane, it was done to stick out in contrast to what had happened before, and what is about to come in the climax.  Also, John is 100x better then Niko as a character hahaha.  I had so much trouble having pathos for Niko when he was acting as a hit man because he "needed the money" even though he had already successfully robbed a bank and was living in a penthouse suite by that stage of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.