Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

I don't like Westerns. Still worth it?

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Straight up. The only Westerns I recall enjoying are Shanghai Knights/Noon. 

So is the story still worth it? I'm not going to understand the references, and the basic concept of the Western isn't appealing to me. I don't go into Rockstar games for the gameplay, because honestly, it usually sucks. To be honest, I wasn't impressed with GTAIV either. It started really strong, but quickly ran out of steam. The moral choices were inconsequential and repetitive, the gameplay and story contradicted one another, the unforgiving checkpointing hurt the flow of the story, and it was just generally way too drawn out. But this isn't about my disdain for GTAIV. Is RDR more of the same, or is it unique and avoid the previously mentioned trappings while still providing a compelling story in the West.

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By eristocrat

I liked RDR a lot and I personally don't care for the GTA games (like you said the gameplay sucks and it kind of does in RDR too).  The things I felt raised this game another level were the the character of John Marston, that it felt more open because I could go into most buildings and that the environment appeals to me more than an urban landscape.  Don't worry about catching references to westerns, that stuff is in there but unimportant.  While I wouldn't really call the game super unique I would say it admirably accomplishes what it sets out to do and has one of the richer stories (in terms of social and philosophical discourse) of any game I've played.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

This is your first mistake. It is nothing like the GTA series. Its not GTA set in the west. It is an amazing game that everyone should give a try.  

Check points work fine in this game. The story is great maybe one of the best this year. Its very unique and a great game. And again stop asking if its like GTA. You can check any thread here and see other wise. 

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

It plays exactly like a GTA game and it's a western.  It doesn't sound like you'll like it.  

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By chu52
    @Xtrememuffinman
    Well rockstar learned some lessons from gta iv in how to control a game. They are improved but also complicated as FUCK. But rewarding. As for the story, it is the best yet by rockstar hands down. And how they wrap it up.... it is done in a way that only video games could. Plus after you finish it undead nightmare is waiting for you which also a very interesting experience
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dany
    @Skytylz said:
    " It plays exactly like a GTA game and it's a western.                                         "
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " It is nothing like the GTA series. Its not GTA set in the west.                                          "
    You two should talk
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Skytylz
    @Dany: He obviously didn't play GTA IV he doesn't think they're very similar game play wise. 
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

Dude, people who say it's not like GTA are either high as shit or crazy. 

The game plays just like GTA, with the same damn mission setup and same damn style of play.  It was okay in my books, but I really fucking hated the part in Mexico.   

EDIT:  I liked GTA4's story more, but that's due to myself being an immigrant who has spent pretty much his entire life in the North East of the States.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Animasta

yeah, I'm the same way as you; I got way burned out at GTAIV, and I went into this not really liking westerns; as such, I'm shipping it back to gamefly after a few missions, because it's just so tedious. I don't see john marston as the greatest character of 2010 or whatever like a lot of people seem to, and it just doesn't beg me to play it, like SA did.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By stinky

you have 2 strikes against the game already,  i think u should save your money. 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Skytylz said:

" @Dany: He obviously didn't play GTA IV he doesn't think they're very similar game play wise.  "

I played GTA IV and it does not like like it from what I remember. The controls are much better. 
    eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By eristocrat
    @The_Laughing_Man: Dude RDR controls are GTA controls, there is no difference.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Eristocrat said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Dude RDR controls are GTA controls, there is no difference. "
    Rockstar was even stupid enough to keep the R2 and L2 as fire/aim on the PS3, when everyone bitched about GTA4 doing that.  >.>
    Downsize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Downsize

This game is worth it.  My dad brought me up watching a whole lot of westerns, Clint Eastwood and especially the movie Shane.  I never got into them like he did.  But once I popped in Red Dead Redemption...everything in the old western culture in all those movies was made present in the game.  So that certainly helped me getting into the game in depth.

So you say your not into westerns.  Well I think this game will get you into westerns since it made me get into them.  Once that happens, the solid gameplay will make it all a much more UBER experience.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Aetheldod

It a solid game / experience despite  the Western vibe (I liked  the game a lot :P)  , you will like it ,but if you totally hate sand boxy games then by all means dont play this game

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Enigma777

No

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Daveyo520

Yes and shame on you.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Surkov
    @KaosAngel: There's an option to switch the guns to be L1and R1. I just found this out 2 days ago when I decided to start the game over again using expert aiming and just happened to stumble over it in the options. It plays about the same for me.  

On topic: I've never been a big fan of westerns either, but I loved GTA, so decided to give it a try and loved it.  I'd say RDR is worth at least a try sometime if you find the money. 
    Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Otogi

The gameplay is solid and the character's interesting (though the main lead might be inconsistent based on your play), but it depends on how much the story effects the game for you. It is good (really good), but its very Western. It almost feels like a love letter. Dialogue is all fresh and characters wonderful, and the story is compelling, but its just drowning in Western themes.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Subjugation

I hope it comes to PC someday so I can try it. I really liked that other western that came out a while ago on xbox. I can't remember the name of it now but it wasn't Red Dead Revolver. I think it started with an A. 

Edit: Lol, I was way off. The game was Gun.

PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PaulRevere

Never liked Westerns, but RDR got such rave reviews that I picked it up. The story is fantastic and it never really reminded me of GTA. I mean, not exactly. So glad I got it.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By luce

Its a western. Take it or leave it

Downsize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Downsize

From my earlier post,  bottom line.  I didnt care for westerns even though I was raised watching them with dad.  Once I popped in RDR it all blossomed and I fell in love with the game.  Buying all the DLC and even Golding all my guns in multiplayer.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I would say so yes, the characters in it are something special. 
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ghostiet

RDR isn't really a western. It's more of an anti- one, since it's taking place in the period before industrialism kicks in and everything the West stood for goes to shit. Marston isn't Eastwood's silent gunslinger, McQueen's/Brynner's wanderer who only really knows in life how to shoot, nor Wayne's jovial, loud and traditional cowboy. He's an intelligent, self-taught former bandit, so he's not even your typical western protagonist. So if there are any tropes associated with westerns, they are mostly deconstructed. Seriously, it's a cleverly made GTA with a story that's actually good this time. That's why it works.

And the story is GREAT.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jimbo

I found it better than GTA 4 in about every way possible, but most of what you didn't like about GTA 4 still applies to RDR.  I say give it a miss, you probably won't like it.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By unsolvedparadox

If you aren't into Westerns at all and aren't interested in letting the game try to convince you otherwise, Red Dead Redemption probably isn't for you. The Western portion of the game is integral, you'd be fighting with yourself all the way through...

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Vorbis

I like alot of westerns but dislike the GTA formula, so while I enjoyed some parts it's still GTA with horses, it didn't make my top 10 this year.

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE

I really loved RDR is every way.  I'm not the biggest fan of Westerns and I still enjoyed it quite a bit.  John Marston isn't your typical Western hero and the story isn't your typical Western story.  I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not at least renting it for a few days and seeing if it grabs you.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By fox01313

Aside from the glitchy bits that still tend to happen, the game itself is solid & since the western genre isn't visited all that much it definitely does a lot of things right as far as the music/look of the game. If you're hesitant due to the theme I'd suggest renting it or trying it out over at a friends place to give it a whirl without having to buy the full game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.