Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Is anyone else a little disappointed with the DLC?

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Captainlunchbox

I know it was free- but would anyone have really paid to do stuff you could mostly already do in some way shape or form? Most of it seems to be essentially just raids on bandit hideouts.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Cwaff

Haven't tried it yet but I feel that anything free is good!

Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Turtlefuzz

I wouldn't have payed more than five bucks for it. But I am having some fun with it, since it's essentially some of the games single player missions in Co-Op form. It's nice to actually have some resemblance of objectives instead of go here and kill everyone. I believe Rockstar has said they're going to put out some more DLC over the summer, which would be pretty awesome.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By tunaburn

yea its pretty disappointing. but then so was all of the multiplayer. free roam is pretty lame itself. I just traded this game in towards credit for transformers. i hope i like that game more.

SavageHobbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SavageHobbit
    @Captainlunchbox said:
    " I know it was free- but would anyone have really paid to do stuff you could mostly already do in some way shape or form? Most of it seems to be essentially just raids on bandit hideouts. "
    Some of it you could do on you own, yes.  But there are people out there who need structure.  Little voices and text pointing them around, telling them what to do.  Unimaginative people, you might say.  

But to be fair, there is a fair bit of stuff you couldn't do.  Rafting the river, herding cattle.  Maybe not drop dead exciting, but more to do.  Let's hope the next pack puts a train back in the world.
    chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By chstupid

No, It was free.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

I think it's pretty good, even besides its price...and well lack thereof.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

It was free. Why would I be disappointed?

Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#9  Edited By RelentlessKnight

Who in the right mind would be disappointed about a free dlc? 

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By handlas

free or not...

I saw the video and could tell it looked like stuff that was already in the game.  Looks like the exact same stuff you can do if you just form a posse in free roam and take on hideouts.  Now, I haven't d/led it but is there any difference at all?  I just beat singleplayer so I'll probably get it tho and check it out now when I have time.

Man, if they released more missions that take place after the game is over....I'd totally pay a pretty penny for that tho.  I really loved this game.

GrahamMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By GrahamMaster
    @Captainlunchbox said:
    " I know it was free- but would anyone have really paid to do stuff you could mostly already do in some way shape or form? Most of it seems to be essentially just raids on bandit hideouts. "
    Well isn't all DLC just more of what you already have? Map packs are usually just new locations with no new gameplay mechanic or weapons. I seriously can't figure out what your damn problem is with this.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lilbigsupermario
    @handlas said:
    " free or not...  I saw the video and could tell it looked like stuff that was already in the game.  Looks like the exact same stuff you can do if you just form a posse in free roam and take on hideouts.  Now, I haven't d/led it but is there any difference at all?  I just beat singleplayer so I'll probably get it tho and check it out now when I have time.  Man, if they released more missions that take place after the game is over....I'd totally pay a pretty penny for that tho.  I really loved this game. "
    Well it's still different.  In free roam, ask these questions: Can your posse actually drive a stage coach with a gatling gun at the back while being chased by enemies?  Can your posse ride together on a raft and ride through the river shooting down other enemies at the sides and on other rafts?  Can your posse be trapped inside en establishment in Mexico while being hammered by waves of enemies with guns, fire bottles and cannons?  Can your posse save a girl from a gang and protect her while riding a stage coach?  Can your posse go to the mines and get gold then get ambushed outside?  In free roam, no, except for the last one hehehe!  It's actually fun for a free DLC and it has fun scenarios that are different from stuff you can do in free roam even if its limited to just 4 members in the posse.  And doing the advanced co-op missions is a real challenge too. For a free DLC, it's definitely "worth" it. :)
    DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By DharmaBum

Given the limitations of the game world, they've come up with pretty clever ideas. I could see more potential if they listen to fan feedback for the next free DLC.

FulcoBallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FulcoBallard

At least its free unlike most dlc

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Free = good. 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By StaticFalconar

It was FREEE, No what if this or that, IT WAS FREE!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Seriously, I would NEVER pay for this, multiplayer isn't Red Dead's strong (...or fun) point, so it was a good move to make it free.

Omen_IWF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Omen_IWF

Well on the one hand you could argue that it was absolutely free so we can't really complain as they could have charged us for it (and especially when you consider the priced of COD's prices just for a few extra maps). 

But on the other there is the whole deal with how good they made multi-player sound before the game was released (although i guess that could be put down soley to the media reporting it if your of that opinion), but ultimately how it failed to deliver on many levels from the actual gameplay, the lack of some aspects of the single player being carried over to the multiplayer, and theproblem with free-roam basically being a licence for the unscupulous players online to level by grieving players who were there soley to play and explore but end up having to run away from people repeatedly killing them.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I was going to try it while playing with Ahmad_Metallic, but in the middle of playing, HE FELL ASLEEP! I'm not even kidding! He just stopped moving and then messaged me about 6-7 minutes later saying that he was sleepy!

jj24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By jj24

well I have to say that the new DLC was fun. I had a good time playing with my bro ... It was little short though. I wouldnt have paid over 5 bucks for it. glad it was free!,,, like most people on her ei was expecting a little more from the DLC... I beat all the missions and got all the trophies in about 2 or 3 hours... when it ended I was like WTH?
    Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I really liked the game but I would have passed on the DLC is it wasn't free. I wish it was just straight up single player missions rather than co-op. I jumped into it after a bit of a break from Read Dead and the group of assholes I got thrown in with reminded me why I stopped playing. I left and probably will trade the game in.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RobotHamster

But....it was free!

connelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By connelo

I've had some good fun with it.

Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rebirth1337
    It was free and there were achievements so I'm not going to knock on it too much. I did have a lot of fun playing through the missions with a buddy of mine though. 
    essd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By essd0g

While I appreciate Rockstar for releasing a free DLC, I honestly did not find it very compelling. Of all the missions I think I enjoyed Walton's Gold the most. It makes me hope for more coop robbery missions where you, say, go from town to town robbing banks or hijack a train or something.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @tunaburn said:
    " yea its pretty disappointing. but then so was all of the multiplayer. free roam is pretty lame itself. I just traded this game in towards credit for transformers. i hope i like that game more. "
    Ouch.
    Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By Captainlunchbox

Well, it actually got more of my friends into the multiplayer, so I'm grateful for that. The narrative voiceover is actually kinda unintentionally funny, too. I dig it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.