Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Living without John... *Spoilers*

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

Edited By SpawnMan

Sigh. Jack Marston just does NOT cut it after finally completing the Red Dead Redemption storyline. John looked handsome, had great voice acting, was believable, and was just plain awesome. Jack on the other hand? His voice sounds like a cat having its balls ripped off combined with a chalkboard being scratched by a thousand finger nails and an inebriated pelican. He looks like a dope with his stupid moustache and shoulder-length, straight, girl-hair. It's just not the same. Why John?! Why!? Why did you have to die!!? 

It actually BUGS me that Jack has all the same stats that John does - JOHN was the legendary hunter and marksman, NOT you Jack! How dare you try to ASSUME his identity like you could actually FILL his boots you impotent child! I actually would rather do all the 100% again than have Jack sully John's name. I mean, I wouldn't want some snotty brat going round cashing in on my achievements! So yes, I'm not a happy camper after John's death, but I'll trudge on. At least I now have Undead Nightmare to look forward to where I will be reunited once again with my beloved John. *Swoon* 

I'm now considering actually taking this game RPG stylez with Jack turning bad after being warped from his father's death and having gotten a taste for revenge on Edgar Ross. Going round, slaughtering people. Pillaging. The usual. And with those Social Club challenges I've been unlocking, I guess it will be fun. I wish they'd put out more - like SWAP BACK TO JOHN AT ANY TIME! 

On another note, I put my review of Bulletstorm up - read it to see how the game faired in my good books! LINK HERE!

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SpawnMan

Sigh. Jack Marston just does NOT cut it after finally completing the Red Dead Redemption storyline. John looked handsome, had great voice acting, was believable, and was just plain awesome. Jack on the other hand? His voice sounds like a cat having its balls ripped off combined with a chalkboard being scratched by a thousand finger nails and an inebriated pelican. He looks like a dope with his stupid moustache and shoulder-length, straight, girl-hair. It's just not the same. Why John?! Why!? Why did you have to die!!? 

It actually BUGS me that Jack has all the same stats that John does - JOHN was the legendary hunter and marksman, NOT you Jack! How dare you try to ASSUME his identity like you could actually FILL his boots you impotent child! I actually would rather do all the 100% again than have Jack sully John's name. I mean, I wouldn't want some snotty brat going round cashing in on my achievements! So yes, I'm not a happy camper after John's death, but I'll trudge on. At least I now have Undead Nightmare to look forward to where I will be reunited once again with my beloved John. *Swoon* 

I'm now considering actually taking this game RPG stylez with Jack turning bad after being warped from his father's death and having gotten a taste for revenge on Edgar Ross. Going round, slaughtering people. Pillaging. The usual. And with those Social Club challenges I've been unlocking, I guess it will be fun. I wish they'd put out more - like SWAP BACK TO JOHN AT ANY TIME! 

On another note, I put my review of Bulletstorm up - read it to see how the game faired in my good books! LINK HERE!

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By koolaid

Dude. I know it's a vague title, but it is kinda spoiler-y.  You should change it.   

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Sooperspy

What is the point of putting *Spoilers* in the title, if you basically show the spoiler in the title.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

wow really, he has his stats because it is a VIDEO GAME.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ
    @KoolAid said:

" Dude. I know it's a vague title, but it is kinda spoiler-y.  You should change it.    "

@Redbullet685 said:

" What is the point of putting *Spoilers* in the title, if you basically show the spoiler in the title. "

I agree, that's messed up. Unfortunately you can't change thread titles. 

Smooth moves, OP! 

Now to actually participate: Yeah, I dunno. Didn't like him that much, but I really liked how they recorded side-quest dialogue for him. That was very impressive. To the point where I wasn't bothered anymore and I just played the dang game haha. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Redbullet685 said:
    " What is the point of putting *Spoilers* in the title, if you basically show the spoiler in the title. "
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany

trying to play the game with jack was just hard, i mean he was so different and not the man i have grown to love, appreciate and empathize with. I think i got to rank 5 from rant 3 in sharpshooter before stoping, was not the same

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

This should be locked due to poorly thought out thread title.  Please play again?

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because of the fact u play as Jack for the rest of the game, i havent even tried finishing all the achievments for that game cause i really cant stand his voice.  u have no idea how many times i through dynamites at Jack (oh i didnt forget about Uncle.)  what happened to Rufus in that game?  i remember one point i had to restart a mission cause i ran over the dog (its name is Rufus.)  it would be great if it still hung around the house

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By monetarydread

Dude! Whats up with the spoilers in the title. Fuck you.

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By velucyraptor
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " @KoolAid said:
    " Dude. I know it's a vague title, but it is kinda spoiler-y.  You should change it.    "
    @Redbullet685 said:
    I agree, that's messed up. Unfortunately you can't change thread titles.  Smooth moves, OP! "
    The title could be taken to mean living without John as in living without RDR itself, hinting at a thread about trying to find games worthy enough to occupy one's self with after having completed Red Dead, but yeah, it's borderline. 

@SpawnMan:  
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Akrid

You people are crazy. It's really not that big a deal... 

Whoops, I probably should have thought not to bump this!

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jking47

wait, your title is a spoiler. thats kinda not cool. 

all it takes is the john in the title, and the fact that its in the red dead forums, thats kinda messed up

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By FancySoapsMan

He's just a videogame character.

And not a very good one at that. So....

Deal with it, I guess?

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpawnMan

Lol @ everyone - I agree with Velucyraptor, I had intended it as that. Not to spoil that he dies. Who knows, it might be that I'm an addict and can't live without John/RDR. I think the fact that I pointed out that there was spoilers made it worse, but meh, I think everyone needs to chill. As if you didn't suspect the game would end Western-style. A better response would be to actually RESPOND to the CONTENT, not the way it was delivered. Numnuts...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

I thought Jack was alright, and his default cowboy outfit is pretty slick; looks like a real bandit. For the people that have said that Jack ruined the entire game (in general, not just this thread)... really now?? It's downright silly to think that there are people who stopped playing just because of a characters voice. Plus it did at least have it feel more in character to go on an unprovoked rampage, whilst as John it just felt weird.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By IBurningStar

I put the game down shortly after finishing things up as Jack. I figured I would go and do some of the more evil things as Jack, because it felt like that is what I should be doing. After gunning that son of a bitch down and finding it oddly satisfying, the game felt less like Red Dead Redemption and more like a Red Dead Revenge. The game also felt done, though. I continued to play for only a bit longer. I liked the way it had wrapped up and it felt odd to keep going. I think it is one of the weirdest things I have come across in gaming.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman

Agreeeeeed! 

It was an extremely interesting choice by Rockstar, but you're totally right. I just don't like Jack nearly as much. Although he DOES say "Work, ya damn nag!" a lot, so that's cool.  =P

OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE

I was really glad that I had done nearly everything that I wanted to do in the game before finishing it.  There were only a few things that I wanted to do with Jack before I put it down.

Listening to him say "Work ya damn nag!" every time he spurred his horse was like nails on a chalkboard.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HandsomeDead

It makes sense that he both fucks up the title and really doesn't get the point of why Jack is the way he is. The more time I spend on this forum, the more I realise that if game developers really shouldn't try anything vaguely thematic because 90% of the audience will miss it and just want to play Saints Row instead.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Yanngc33
    @Laketown: I know but he's just not a bad ass
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Hizang

All these people complaining about it being a spoiler are right, change the god damn tittle or take it down, I mean some may argue that its been out long enough, but I dunno..
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BBQBram
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " It makes sense that he both fucks up the title and really doesn't get the point of why Jack is the way he is. The more time I spend on this forum, the more I realise that if game developers really shouldn't try anything vaguely thematic because 90% of the audience will miss it and just want to play Saints Row instead. "
    Don''t worry, Rockstar has traded in jetpacks for character development no matter how dense the cut-scene skipping generation might get.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Ghostiet

I love how Rockstar addressed this issue with Undead Nightmare by making a Zombie Marston in the post-game. "You want John alive? Well, be careful what you wish for"

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kishan6

i like TO make random WORDS capitalized!

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpawnMan
    @kishan6: MAYBE if you understood that CAPITALIZED words means you have to add EMPHASIS to the word, then you'd UNDERSTAND rather than being an IGNORANT IDIOT.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.