Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Old RDR ending thread. Don't tread these waters.

• 136 results
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By awesomeusername

Edit: This blog is super old. I like the RDR ending. That is all.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By awesomeusername

Edit: This blog is super old. I like the RDR ending. That is all.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

It was pretty horrible, but that's what made it so emotional and amazing. As much as I hate Jack, that's the only way it could have happened.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Ksaw

Because the same shit was going to keep on happening. He couldn't escape his past, so he just decides to face it. I thought the end was great.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60
    @Ksaw said:
    " Because the same shit was going to keep on happening. He couldn't escape his past, so he just decides to face it. I thought the end was great. "
    I was just going to post this.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By awesomeusername
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " It was pretty horrible, but that's what made it so emotional and amazing. As much as I hate Jack, that's the only way it could have happened. "
    True that, it made me want to cry.(Not literally) 

@CL60 said:
    " @Ksaw said:
    " Because the same shit was going to keep on happening. He couldn't escape his past, so he just decides to face it. I thought the end was great. "
    I was just going to post this. "
    There's always Mexico. 
    mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By mr_faraday
    @Ksaw said:
    "Because the same shit was going to keep on happening. He couldn't escape his past, so he just decides to face it. I thought the end was great. "
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

The ending was great. He accepted his fate and sacrificed himself so his family could live without goverment pressure.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Have you seen Westerns before? Characters are archetypal, the death of the hero signifies the end of the Wild West. A character like Marston is fated to die.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yeah, as others have said, if Marston had chosen to escape or kill the soldiers they would have only sent more men after him. He knew that sacrificing himself was the only way his family would be able to live in peace.

Honestly, I thought the ending was the only good part of RDR's story.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By NTM

I'd consider that near the ending. Being Jack and going to kill the retired marshal before the credits is the ending. That game was very unique with its endings, because I had no idea when I should be done after returning to Marston's family, but I kept with it and went through three of the "endings". Meet up with Marston's family, Marston dies, and Jack kills the retired marshal. I felt I had to see some credits before the end game, so that's why I kept with it. Someone had told one of my friends, that John Marston dies, and then he had told me. I remembered, but up until the part when you meet his family, I didn't take that into account, so it was still somewhat of a surprise. Oh, an yes, a sequel would be awesome. I don't consider Red Dead Revolver as a prequel, like some.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By awesomeusername
    @ImmortalSaiyan:  @owl_of_minerva:  @FancySoapsMan:   @Ksaw:
    Well, you men(or woman, if any of you are) give valid reasons. Still wish he hadn't died though. Now let's see a sequel with Jack being cool and not a prick! 

@FancySoapsMan said:

"  Honestly, I thought the ending was the only good part of RDD's story. "

I agree with it being the best part also. The story itself was interesting, but all the missions and people just felt unnecessary. Some characters just died and then the others were kind of just there and they just disappeared like you never met them. Interesting storyline, but forgettable characters. Too me, all the missions and characters were a huge fault in the game.  

RDR by the way.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By awesomeusername
    @NTM said:
    " I'd consider that near the ending. Being Jack and going to kill the retired marshal before the credits is the ending. That game was very unique with its endings, because I had no idea when I should be done after returning to Marston's family, but I kept with it and went through three of the "endings". Meet up with Marston's family, Marston dies, and Jack kills the retired marshal. I felt I had to see some credits before the end game, so that's why I kept with it. Someone had told one of my friends, that John Marston dies, and then he had told me. I remembered, but up until the part when you meet his family, I didn't take that into account, so it was still somewhat of a surprise. Oh, an yes, a sequel would be awesome. I don't consider Red Dead Revolver as a prequel, like some. "
    You become Jack and kill Ross after the credits, so it's like a surprise ending to an ending? I don't know. But when you kill Ross, that sucked. The duels are annoying and I didn't see that as a fitting kill for the ending. Like I said, I would've preferred to execute him like Niko does in GTA IV when he executes people. Lucky for you it was kind of a surprise. Everyone on the internet likes throwing endings everywhere like everyone beat the game. They ruined the ending for me, if I didn't know he'd die, it would've been a huge ass surprise and it probably would've been more emotional. 
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By beej
    @awesomeusername: The duel was still pretty good though. I think it speaks to how much I loveed martson that as soon as I got control of jack my first impulse was to go looking for that son of a bitch ross.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By IBurningStar
    @awesomeusername said:
    Interesting storyline, but forgettable characters. Too me, all the missions and characters were a huge fault in the game.  "

Nigel West Dickens was certainly memorable, in my opinion. I loved everything that guy did.
    DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By DaemonBlack
    @awesomeusername:  While I agree it would have been better if it were dramatized a little more instead of a standard duel at the end, that moment  when Jack turns around after the duel and the title card comes up... that was pure magic and is a moment I in video games I will never forget. And the song in the credits was fantastic and fit the mood perfectly.
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By beej
    @IBurningStar:  Oh god that reminds me, Mr. Dickens was also on my short list along with Ross.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
    @awesomeusername:
    I agree with you. I felt that it had a great setting and some intresting elements to the story. But I never cared much about any of the characters or missions expect Bonnie. It felt like John was some errand boy for most of the game.
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By N7
    @IBurningStar said:
    " @awesomeusername said:
    Interesting storyline, but forgettable characters. Too me, all the missions and characters were a huge fault in the game.  "
     Nigel West Dickens was certainly memorable, in my opinion. I loved everything that guy did. "
    Agreed. Everyone else seemed to me like "HEY GUYS YOU REMEMBER THAT WE'RE FROM A WESTERN RIGHT!? RIGHT?" But good ol' N.W.D was the one I'm going to remember the most. He was a boss.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By awesomeusername
    @IBurningStar said:

Nigel West Dickens was certainly memorable, in my opinion. I loved everything that guy did. "
    That name rings a bell, but I'm not sure. I'll search him up. 
    @beej said:
    " @awesomeusername: The duel was still pretty good though. I think it speaks to how much I loveed martson that as soon as I got control of jack my first impulse was to go looking for that son of a bitch ross. "
    While the duel was a nice addition, it was so hard to get a grasp of. The first 2 or 3 duels, I wiped the floor with their blood. Then I tried to shoot their hand so the gun could fall off instead of killing them, but that just ends in utter failure. I don't know what I do wrong. Every time I duel, I choose my spots, but the bar goes up so little that they just kill me. I literally died 5 times trying to kill this guy in a duel for a stranger mission and died once facing Ross. Never again shall I duel someone. I was also glad that you continue the game as Jack and the first thing you do is kill that bastard. I thought he was going to be somewhere else in the world or dead, but I made him the second thought myself. I still wanted to kill the army and Fordham and the rest of the lawmakers though. 

@ImmortalSaiyan: @Mr_Faraday: @CL60: @Ksaw:  

What I should've put into the op is, why did they kill him still? He did what they wanted in return for his freedom and family and they still killed him. They basically double-crossed him for what reason? Are the government just a bunch of assholes? It wasn't necessary. He was practically brainwashed when he was young to kill and he tried to live a new life but they still killed him. 
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
    @awesomeusername:
    I guess they feel that once a criminal always a criminal.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By awesomeusername
    @DaemonBlack said:
    " @awesomeusername:  While I agree it would have been better if it were dramatized a little more instead of a standard duel at the end, that moment  when Jack turns around after the duel and the title card comes up... that was pure magic and is a moment I in video games I will never forget. And the song in the credits was fantastic and fit the mood perfectly. "
    I forgot about that! I'm going to screenshot that moment and put it as my avatar picture! I didn't watch the credits because I was eager to see what happens after John got buried, I kind of figured there'd be more, but I didn't think you would play as Jack. I thought it'd be like any other game where you play before that last mission. It's awesome that you play as Jack now though. I'll youtube the credits. Also, the song after you kill Dutch! I got on my horse and started riding and this song was playing, it fit so well with the game and the moment. Riding through the forest going to see your wife and son again. So touching. Too bad the song got cut short because I started shooting at bears.-_- 

@ImmortalSaiyan said:
    " @awesomeusername: But I never cared much about any of the characters or missions expect Bonnie. It felt like John was some errand boy for most of the game. "
    There can't be truer words.  

@N7 said:
    " @IBurningStar said:
    " @awesomeusername said:
    Agreed. Everyone else seemed to me like "HEY GUYS YOU REMEMBER THAT WE'RE FROM A WESTERN RIGHT!? RIGHT?" But good ol' N.W.D was the one I'm going to remember the most. He was a boss. "
    Oh my god. Now I remember who he is. I wanted to stick a bullet through his damn head. He's so annoying.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Evilsbane

It was a horrible but emotional charged scene and Unexpected which is why I bought the game at midnight when it came out and didn't go onto the internet until I was done.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By benpack

John Marston was also a bad person. He killed like, 500 dudes in the game alone, and not to mention all the shit he did before the game started. He himself admits he did some fucked up shit when he rolled in his gang. Killer with a heart of gold is still a killer, and has to get theirs in the end.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ksaw
    @awesomeusername said:
    " @IBurningStar said:

That name rings a bell, but I'm not sure. I'll search him up. 
    @beej said:
    " @awesomeusername: The duel was still pretty good though. I think it speaks to how much I loveed martson that as soon as I got control of jack my first impulse was to go looking for that son of a bitch ross. "
    While the duel was a nice addition, it was so hard to get a grasp of. The first 2 or 3 duels, I wiped the floor with their blood. Then I tried to shoot their hand so the gun could fall off instead of killing them, but that just ends in utter failure. I don't know what I do wrong. Every time I duel, I choose my spots, but the bar goes up so little that they just kill me. I literally died 5 times trying to kill this guy in a duel for a stranger mission and died once facing Ross. Never again shall I duel someone. I was also glad that you continue the game as Jack and the first thing you do is kill that bastard. I thought he was going to be somewhere else in the world or dead, but I made him the second thought myself. I still wanted to kill the army and Fordham and the rest of the lawmakers though. 

@ImmortalSaiyan: @Mr_Faraday: @CL60: @Ksaw:   What I should've put into the op is, why did they kill him still? He did what they wanted in return for his freedom and family and they still killed him. They basically double-crossed him for what reason? Are the government just a bunch of assholes? It wasn't necessary. He was practically brainwashed when he was young to kill and he tried to live a new life but they still killed him.  "
     The game was supposed to take place at the end of the whole "wild west" era. Maybe they just didn't want someone with Marston's capabilities and mindset running around. i mean, he was heavily involved in overthrowing the mexican government. They were just cleaning up after themselves.
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By awesomeusername
    @Ksaw said:

The game was supposed to take place at the end of the whole "wild west" era. Maybe they just didn't want someone with Marston's capabilities and mindset running around. i mean, he was heavily involved in overthrowing the mexican government. They were just cleaning up after themselves. "
    Well now they have Jack to deal with. 
    @GlenTennis said:
    " John Marston was also a bad person. He killed like, 500 dudes in the game alone, and not to mention all the shit he did before the game started. He himself admits he did some fucked up shit when he rolled in his gang. Killer with a heart of gold is still a killer, and has to get theirs in the end. "
    He was practically brainwashed!!!!!! 

@Evilsbane said:
    " It was a horrible but emotional charged scene and Unexpected which is why I bought the game at midnight when it came out and didn't go onto the internet until I was done. "
    I'm going to stop reading comments about games when they come out so I won't be spoiled from now on.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Shadow

3 words:

Late
    Title
    Card

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By beej
    @awesomeusername: Well the trick with the duels is to look at the color of your crosshair, if it's white you fill up the bar more quickly. The problem is that any story mandated duel pretty much requires you to kill them. I died a few times on that same stranger mission trying to disarm people. 
    As to why they would kill Marston it was pretty heavily foreshadowed by Dutch before he kills himself, and as far as Ross was concerned his assignment was to bring down the entirety of Dutch's old gang, using Marston then killing him just made the job way easier.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Undeadpool
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " Have you seen Westerns before? Characters are archetypal, the death of the hero signifies the end of the Wild West. A character like Marston is fated to die. "
    DINGDINGDING! We have a wiiiiinner! 
    Marston's death symbolizes the death of not just an era, but of a kind of person. The roving outlaw, the lone gunman, the cowboy riding off into the sunset isn't going to be able to exist in the "Modern World," so he HAS to die in order to usher in the new world.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

You know, dude. Just the fact that they set you up to dead eye all those fools makes it forgiveable in my eyes. That was SO FREAKING COOL. I'm just so bummed I couldn't wipe them all out. I sure as heck tried.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Slaker117
    @Shadow said:
    " 3 words:  Late Title Card "
    Latest title card. Literally the last thing you see before the credits roll. So amazing.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rjaylee

Someone clearly has not seen Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, or has no concept of a false protagonist or an anti-hero.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Hizang

I really enjoyed the ending, I loved Marston and I never wanted him to die, but Marston signified the old West, and him dying is showing that the old west is dying out and the modern era is beggining. Plus from a game standpoint I don't think Marston wanted to be seen as a coward
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By Vinny_Says

The ending was just one of the reasons this game is one of the greatest of all time

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vidiot

His sacrifice allows him to finally obtain redemption.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RsistncE

Just play the Undead Nightmare add-on, you'll feel better about it. Best. Cannon. Ever.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By FesteringNeon

Yea I think Marston was just tired.. tired of running, tired of always having to be the outlaw. With no one remaining corrupt, I think he kind of feared the thought of being bored as well though. He probably figured he at least owed some of those guys his head, after killing so many men. While I hated it.. it really struck a chord with me as well. Made me even more excited to see him in the Undead Nightmare pack though. Instead of restarting RDR, it was a nice transition albeit kinda crazy, but really fun. If you haven't downloaded it OP, I would strongly suggest it! 

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Andorski

Get the Legend of the West outfit and put on the bandana.  It hides most of Jake Marston.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

We need a way to play with John again, Jack killed my will to play.

If I ever repurchase RDR, I'll start a fresh save and stop before the end because this lad annoys me to no end.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CptBedlam
    @awesomeusername: Maybe you should pay attention to the story. He had to kill himself because if he didn't, the government wouldn't stop hunting him and his family. But instead of shooting himself he chose an honorable way of dying. People like you are probably too young for this kind of story-telling
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MysteriousBob

The ending is the best thing in RDR. And its a damn good game all around.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By probablytuna

Sadly I couldn't experience the shocking ending because I ventured online and saw some things that cannot be unseen. Still, the ending was still quite impactful. I think he stayed behind because there was no way the law will let him go and if he runs his family will have to go in hiding for the rest of their lives. He did the right thing by sacrificing himself for the family. A man of true honour. Although I didn't like the voice actor for Jack, I thought it was cool to see him avenge his father's (and uncle's) death. The final duel is welcome because that's what usually finishes a Western tale. A duel between two men. It was very fitting for the setting. I think Red Dead Redemption is done and there won't be a sequel for it (maybe a spiritual one like what Redemption was to Revolver). However, seeing as Redemption was set around the time the West is slowly being phased out by industrialism, I doubt there'll be anything set afterwards.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ksaw said:
    My problem was that John repeated this at 5 minute intervals throughout the entire game. 

It was a good idea, poorly implemented.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jimbo

Yeah the ending was bullshit.  His sacrifice didn't achieve anything significant and there was no redemption for anybody.  His wife dies and his son grows up to be just like he was, thus rendering the whole story cynical and pointless.  It had a bad case of Cutscene Pussy to boot (the opposite of the equally annoying Cutscene Tiger).

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I agree completely. The worst part for me was that there were MANY parts in the game where John easier took down more than 20 guys on his own, and yet these 20 guys are able to take him down. 

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By the_hiro_abides

I had more of a problem with the family missions. I felt there were too many and pretty boring.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Jimbo:  Wrong. It's all about his good intentions. That sickness kills his wife a few years later is just another tragedy (true to these times) that has nothing to do with John.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CptBedlam
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " I agree completely. The worst part for me was that there were MANY parts in the game where John easier took down more than 20 guys on his own, and yet these 20 guys are able to take him down.  "
    Especially the cattle missions were the best parts of the game. If anything there should've been more missions like that.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jimbo
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @Jimbo:  Wrong. It's all about his good intentions. That sickness kills his wife a few years later is just another tragedy (true to these times) that has nothing to do with John. "
    And coupled with the failure to give his son a better life, the moral of the story becomes 'good intentions are a waste of time'.  Like I said, cynical and pointless.  There wasn't even the slightest glimmer of hope or optimism to suggest that his struggle for Redemption (and eventually his sacrifice) had been anything other than a complete waste of time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.