Old RDR ending thread. Don't tread these waters.

• 137 results
Avatar image for bankruptpaladin
#101 Posted by BankruptPaladin (6 posts) -

I think the ending was ok, however, I would feel more satisfied with living the rancher life, making my ranch a top priority, making it grow and expand a great home for me and the missus, having more kids, and if I ever got killed, for whatever reason, THAT would be when I start playing as Jack. The government didn't have to kill John, but the bastards did it anyway, that was a bitch-move...

Jack should've been a cooler guy, though. What fun is it to have played a bad-ass gunslinger before who went out like a man, and then start playing as his bitch-punk of a son, who's really... REALLY ugly, by the way. At the very least, have him look better than John, so we don't get so sad when he's lost forever.

I'd look forward to a sequel, but not with Jack. Go for another cool guy, preferably in an earlier setting. Just a few years would be nice, maybe you could run into John when he was young, shooting and robbing people with Dutch? I'd like to cross their path, if not be the one who got John straightened out, perhaps. However, in the sequel I'd like to see the ability to hang people, watch hangings of criminals, scalping, bows and arrows, sabres, dual pistols, an actual use for the fist fighting function, custom outfits, custom face, ability to smoke cigars, drink booze without just falling over when you're drunk, but a gradual drunkness, whores, marriage, having kids, and of course, getting an actual job, not just mercenary stuff all the time, but the ability to work in the area where you live, be it as a lawman, salesman, rancher, farmer, hunter, et.c.

That would make this more fun, in my book. Especially the hangings. That's why I bought the game to begin with, to hang people, like in the real west. Little did I know it wasn't possible.

#102 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

The ending has been spoiled for me long before I even came to that point. Somewhere before you finally kill Dutch, I lost interest in the game and put it on a two-year halt in 2010. And then, yesterday, I finally finished the last few missions, and even though I knew Marston was going to die, I was kinda shocked. And, even though I had lost the connection to RDR through the two-year absence from it, I was emotionally drawn in. I just sat there and thought "Oh no, come on".

I mean, what he did was great. He sacrificed himself to save his family.

But it was still so unsatisfying, having your lead character die. It was ok for me in LA Noire, even though I was equally shocked, but the game ended. RDR goes on. I haven't even finished half of all the side stuff to do and can't play John anymore... I miss him ._.

Avatar image for video_game_king
#103 Posted by Video_Game_King (36564 posts) -

@Morrow said:

I haven't even finished half of all the side stuff to do and can't play John anymore... I miss him ._.

That's probably the point, isn't it? It's at least proof of some type of emotional connection to the protagonist.

#104 Posted by Baillie (4708 posts) -

@Morrow: You fucking go back in that game and get fucking vengeance for John Marston. YOU FUCKING KILL THEM ALL.

#105 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Yeah, I guess. I just like Marston. Ok, I'm a woman, so it's natural :D He's not your average pretty boy, but he is handsome, in a way. And I liked his voice and rough behaviour... and his scars... ahem. Enough now.

@Baillie: lol I only killed the government bastard in the end, but what I will do is start a new game, and play to the point before Marston gets shot. I will just live in a world where everything is ok and John Marston is alive and well. If I never start that last mission everything will be alright. Right?

#106 Posted by Marcsman (3610 posts) -

I liked the ending.

#107 Posted by Baillie (4708 posts) -

@Morrow: Everything will be alright she said. Everything will be alright. It's not going to be okay is it, Morrow? His family ends up dying later on too, along with John becoming the undead himself. Oh man, you said everything will be alright. It wasn't. I'm going take a long hard think and... read this letter I received...

"In my restless dreams, I see that town."

#108 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

@Baillie: Maybe this is a good time to mention I never played a Silent Hill game? :D

#109 Posted by Baillie (4708 posts) -

@Morrow: It's not a game you could go back to and enjoy now, I don't think? I'm not sure. That game is depressing. Extremely depressing. At the end you read the full letter you received from your deceased wife. It's beautifully painful to read. I guess I like depressing things. I adored the end of Red Dead Redemption, Silent Hill 2 and one of my favourite movies is Requiem for a Dream - probably the most disheartening movie I've ever watched.

Anyway... I think I should note I am not on suicide watch or have any scars on my wrists.

Quick question, do you know a city called Wegberg?

#110 Posted by LikeaSsur (1753 posts) -

@BankruptPaladin said:

I think the ending was ok, however, I would feel more satisfied with living the rancher life, making my ranch a top priority, making it grow and expand a great home for me and the missus, having more kids, and if I ever got killed, for whatever reason, THAT would be when I start playing as Jack. The government didn't have to kill John, but the bastards did it anyway, that was a bitch-move...

In their defense, he was still a criminal with multiple murders, robberies, and who knows what else under his belt.

#111 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

@Baillie: I read about Silent Hill 2, and I think it would have been a game with quite an impact on me if I had played it back in the days. I did like Nier and Spec Ops: The Line (obviously), which are both rather depressing as well. I also count Requiem for a Dream to my favourite movies, even though it's hard to watch for me. It's always a very intense experience. Did you watch the movie I Come with the Rain?

No, never heard of it.

#112 Posted by Begilerath (178 posts) -

Oh man! reading this thread just now (about a year after I played RDR) I find out about Jack's quest for revenge. I though that when you see the grave of Marston and his wife that was it...now I don't have the game anymore and I missed the "real" ending :(

#113 Posted by Baillie (4708 posts) -

@Morrow: No, I've never actually gotten round to watching that. We seem to have a common sense of taste, so I will definitely get a hold of it and tell you what I think. Also, I asked you about Wegberg because I was born there, but no one knows anything about it and I have no memories of my home city!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
#114 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -

@awesomeusername: I think it was more to do with if he killed this mob they would still go after him and his family, really loved the ending the moment when you are controlling Jack and you hear the gunshot in the distance is one of the greatest story telling moments in games IMO. Theres a couple of missions you can do as Jack to get the true ending to the game though, go around Blackwater and you should run into that mission. Easily one of my favourite games ever, enjoyed playing as Jack doing all the side stuff I had missed before the end of the game.

EDIT: Oh shit its one of those time machine forums.

#115 Posted by Baillie (4708 posts) -

@Morrow: Just found I Come with the Rain on iTunes for 99p. I will give it a watch tonight. :)

#116 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

@Baillie: Hmm, do you still have some relatives there?

Cool, expect a weird movie :]

#117 Posted by Ghostiet (5832 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@Baillie: I read about Silent Hill 2, and I think it would have been a game with quite an impact on me if I had played it back in the days. I did like Nier and Spec Ops: The Line (obviously), which are both rather depressing as well.

I like you.

It's never too late to give SH2 a shot. Even if you know what's coming, that game has an extremely thick atmosphere that's gonna have your skull smoking. 2 and 4 kinda ruined horror games for me - they were intense experience and I don't really need to seek new experiences after them.

#118 Posted by rmills87 (559 posts) -

WHAAA???? The ending was fucking GREAT. Very dark and morbid, but it really hit home. Even though I was half expecting this to happen one way or another, Rockstar once again brought up some seriously sad emotions. Man, they're good at storytelling.

#119 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

@Ghostiet: I could imagine that. Especially since I read everything about Spec Ops: The Line and watched every cutscene on YouTube weeks before even playing it. And it was still a great experience.

But my backlog is huge, and my list of games yet to check out even bigger (and ever-growing). So the chances that I will ever get around to play it are very small.

I love all kinds of games (except for shooters, and even there I made an exception for The Line), and it would take two or three lifes to check out all of the ones that are worth checking out, on top of the number not worth checking out but still seemingly interesting to me :D So I needed to set myself some form of limitation in gaming. The first one was sticking to RPGs only, but I scrapped that plan a few years ago. My current limitation is to stick to one console and one handheld only as well as games with achievement support, so I can keep track of my game progress and make sure to get most out of the games I play. I would call myself a completionist even though I only have 4 S-ranks from 96 games... so I guess I'm a bad completionist :D

Long story short, old games tend to get discarded by me in the long run.

#120 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -
#121 Posted by Ghostiet (5832 posts) -

@Morrow: Bullshit excuses, there is always time for old games. If they're good. So pop in that SH2 disc, it's an order.

#122 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

@Ghostiet:

And where should I pop it in? Aside from a PS3 I only own a laptop that can't play shit. Oh, and I don't have the disc :D

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
#123 Posted by deactivated-57beb9d651361 (4541 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

Then you got Jack with the same teenage voice looking more Mexican then a Scottish kid.

I know this thread is ancient, but what?

#124 Posted by rmills87 (559 posts) -

@Morrow: Absolutely. AMAZING game as well. Actually just finished my first playthrough a couple of weeks ago.

#125 Posted by Ghostiet (5832 posts) -

@Morrow: And you are still making excuses, God dammit, you're a loose cannon, Morrow.

#126 Posted by Ghost_Cat (2050 posts) -

@owl_of_minerva said:

Have you seen Westerns before? Characters are archetypal, the death of the hero signifies the end of the Wild West. A character like Marston is fated to die.

This is probably the simplest and most direct answer. Before playing this game, you should have just looked at the box and saw it coming.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
#127 Posted by awesomeusername (4610 posts) -

@rmills87: @Bourbon_Warrior said:

EDIT: Oh shit its one of those time machine forums.

YES! IT IS! My opinion of the ending changed long ago.

#128 Edited by awesomeusername (4610 posts) -

@GetEveryone said:

@awesomeusername said:

Then you got Jack with the same teenage voice looking more Mexican then a Scottish kid.

He looks like a god damn quesadilla! But I don't know how Scottish people look so I could be wrong. Well, because of his moustache and his dark(?) skin. It's so out of place.

#129 Posted by TheHumanDove (2520 posts) -

But it was a good ending!

#130 Posted by awesomeusername (4610 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

Is this sarcasm?

#131 Posted by TheHumanDove (2520 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@TheHumanDove said:

Is this sarcasm?

Yes. I'll see myself out now

#132 Edited by CptBedlam (4514 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

@awesomeusername said:

@TheHumanDove said:

Is this sarcasm?

The ending was great. No sarcasm.

Some people just can't handly tragic endings. ;)

#133 Posted by awesomeusername (4610 posts) -

@TheHumanDove said:

@awesomeusername said:

@TheHumanDove said:

Is this sarcasm?

You're like that guy who comes to the party when it's done. LEAVE! :D

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
#134 Posted by deactivated-57beb9d651361 (4541 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@GetEveryone said:

@awesomeusername said:

He looks like a god damn quesadilla! But I don't know how Scottish people look so I could be wrong. Well, because of his moustache and his dark(?) skin. It's so out of place.

Haha, awesome. Well, as a scot it's pretty amusing. We're about as stereotypically caucasian as they come.

Agreed on the 'Jack not looking like the product of his parents' front, though.

#135 Posted by ChosenOne (238 posts) -

I completed the last big story mission, reunited John Marston with his wife and son, then I put the controller down and walked walked away. That's my ending.

#136 Posted by BasketSnake (1755 posts) -

@ChosenOne said:

I completed the last big story mission, reunited John Marston with his wife and son, then I put the controller down and walked walked away. That's my ending.

I'll tell tell you that your character was gunned down in an alternate dimension.

#137 Posted by Morrow (1870 posts) -

@BasketSnake:

Don't shatter his illusion!

:D

If I wouldn't be such an achievement whore, I would have stopped the game at that point as well. As John Marston lied dying in his own blood, something inside me withered ._.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.