• 69 results
Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

Edited By Jayross

Clearly R* put a lot of time into the Singleplayer campaign, I haven't finished it, but it is a lot of fun with a great story and voice acting.

However, I know that once I am done with the story, I will mostly switch over to multiplayer. I am level 16, but already I feel like I have done everything there is to do.

Gang Hideouts:
The Gang missions are fun, the one with the mine cart is my favorite, as it is the most unique one there is. But, there are only 7 missions, which is kind of disappointing. Also, when multiple posses are fighting in mission areas, they spawn in the exact same spot as the other posses, this leads to a large amount of spawn killing. (Spawn killing is a problem throughout freeroam)

Hunting:
I remember hunting being a big advertising point for the freeroam. There are challenges that encourage you to hunt certain animals, but that is where the problem starts.

The world is incredibly underpopulated. When I first entered the singleplayer, I was witnessed an entire herd of buffalo, there had to have been 15 or more. In Freeroam, I have yet to see one single buffalo.

Finding certain animals for the challenges is equally as frustrating. What about the waves of animals attacking you? Me and my friends found one spot where 6 bears would spawn, which was kind of cool, but pretty underwhelming. I wish those spots were marked and gave exp, instead of something that seemed to have been thrown in at the last minute.

What else?
Besides from joining competitive multiplayer matches, Freeroam does little else to encourage activities besides spawn camping and doing gang-hideouts.

Hope:
Yesterday, me and my friends formed up a posse of 8 people. We happened across a fort in Mexico (El Presido). We saw 4 yellow dots in the fort, and we had the brilliant idea of taking it over. We rode along the main rode to the gate at top speed, but then I remembered something: The cannon! 

Anyways, the cannon blew most of us up, so this time we spread out and attacked along the two entrances. We stormed the fort and cleared it out. Now, we took up positions on the gattling guns and cannons, and waited for them to attack.

Well, they tried, they did. But mostly they were just sniping. We decided to switch servers and tell everyone to try to take the fort from us. Eventually we were able to gather quite a large number of opponents, and had fun defending the fort.

During that time, I was thinking "Really R*? No gamemodes or anything to encourage this type of stuff?"

I know it is supposed to be FREE-roam, but there needs to be some structure to it. 

The spawning issue needs to be looked at, there needs to be an option to spawn on the posse leader when you die (squad spawning a la Bad Company 2)

Thanks for reading my rant.

--Jayross    

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jayross

Clearly R* put a lot of time into the Singleplayer campaign, I haven't finished it, but it is a lot of fun with a great story and voice acting.

However, I know that once I am done with the story, I will mostly switch over to multiplayer. I am level 16, but already I feel like I have done everything there is to do.

Gang Hideouts:
The Gang missions are fun, the one with the mine cart is my favorite, as it is the most unique one there is. But, there are only 7 missions, which is kind of disappointing. Also, when multiple posses are fighting in mission areas, they spawn in the exact same spot as the other posses, this leads to a large amount of spawn killing. (Spawn killing is a problem throughout freeroam)

Hunting:
I remember hunting being a big advertising point for the freeroam. There are challenges that encourage you to hunt certain animals, but that is where the problem starts.

The world is incredibly underpopulated. When I first entered the singleplayer, I was witnessed an entire herd of buffalo, there had to have been 15 or more. In Freeroam, I have yet to see one single buffalo.

Finding certain animals for the challenges is equally as frustrating. What about the waves of animals attacking you? Me and my friends found one spot where 6 bears would spawn, which was kind of cool, but pretty underwhelming. I wish those spots were marked and gave exp, instead of something that seemed to have been thrown in at the last minute.

What else?
Besides from joining competitive multiplayer matches, Freeroam does little else to encourage activities besides spawn camping and doing gang-hideouts.

Hope:
Yesterday, me and my friends formed up a posse of 8 people. We happened across a fort in Mexico (El Presido). We saw 4 yellow dots in the fort, and we had the brilliant idea of taking it over. We rode along the main rode to the gate at top speed, but then I remembered something: The cannon! 

Anyways, the cannon blew most of us up, so this time we spread out and attacked along the two entrances. We stormed the fort and cleared it out. Now, we took up positions on the gattling guns and cannons, and waited for them to attack.

Well, they tried, they did. But mostly they were just sniping. We decided to switch servers and tell everyone to try to take the fort from us. Eventually we were able to gather quite a large number of opponents, and had fun defending the fort.

During that time, I was thinking "Really R*? No gamemodes or anything to encourage this type of stuff?"

I know it is supposed to be FREE-roam, but there needs to be some structure to it. 

The spawning issue needs to be looked at, there needs to be an option to spawn on the posse leader when you die (squad spawning a la Bad Company 2)

Thanks for reading my rant.

--Jayross    

Ewok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ewok

Let me point out that the free roam is the game lobby, so essentially it could be this or a list of names. Stop complaining about something they didn't have to add to the game.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Mooshu

They still could have added more stuff to it though. I mean think about how awesome it would have been to play horseshoes or poker with your friends and have that integrated into the open world. Or order drinks from the saloon and have drunken bar fights.

I still think freeroam is pretty fun though.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By trophyhunter

it's like two steps away from an MMO

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

I'm just waiting until they fix all the problems with the MP, then I'm gonna start it up again.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Jace

"They still could've added more stuff though".

that's the dumbest statement in the world to make about a game, especially this one. More stuff? To what end? Of course they could have. EVERY game could "have more stuff." That doesn't even make sense. If you're going to complain, find substance.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

It's meant to be a lobby, but lie you I thought it was going to be something more. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CL60

The only problem I have with the freeroam, is as you said, it seems underpopulated.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By RichardLOlson

I will agree with you at some degree, yes it is underpopulated or so it would seem.  RockStar did kinda make it sound like you can do "Whatever you want" in the free roam mode.  But its still cool.  And I will agree that it is 2 steps away from being an MMO. 

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mooshu
@Jace said:

" "They still could've added more stuff though".  that's the dumbest statement in the world to make about a game, especially this one. More stuff? To what end? Of course they could have. EVERY game could "have more stuff." That doesn't even make sense. If you're going to complain, find substance. "

Except that "Stuff" I mentioned is already in the fucking game.  I don't think it could have been too much trouble to add the minigames, saloon stuff, and maybe random events into mulitplayer. But then again, I'm not a game designer.
Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayross
@Ewok: The problem is the way it was advertised. It was one of the most MAJOR bullet-points of the game. 16 people, posses, do whatever you want in the entire single-player world. R* clearly tried to make it something more, and the advertising reflects thats, too bad the actual product falls so short.
Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ratcabbage
@Ewok said:
" Let me point out that the free roam is the game lobby, so essentially it could be this or a list of names. Stop complaining about something they didn't have to add to the game. "
I would say the same thing, except that they link achievements/trophies to free-roam. If you want those then you're required to play it, so, I think that enables the right to complain. 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

Free roam is a little barren I'll admit, but I'm alright for now since I'm very much stuck in the SP and will be for a looong time.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Singleplayer keeps me more than happy right now. Hopefully by the time I get to free roam, Rockstar would have worked out most of the kinks. I can kinda see where you are coming from though. It would be nice if they just explained the free roam a little bit more or something to that extent.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CL60
@Mooshu said:
" @Jace said:

" "They still could've added more stuff though".  that's the dumbest statement in the world to make about a game, especially this one. More stuff? To what end? Of course they could have. EVERY game could "have more stuff." That doesn't even make sense. If you're going to complain, find substance. "

Except that "Stuff" I mentioned is already in the fucking game.  I don't think it could have been too much trouble to add the minigames, saloon stuff, and maybe random events into mulitplayer. But then again, I'm not a game designer. "
I don't think you realize that it wouldn't just be a copy and paste from the single player in order to add those things in..
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RichardLOlson

Yes single player is VERY VERY immersive and I love it.  I'll be on the single player for a good while.  For 60 bucks, its very much worth it and I do plan on getting my 60 bucks out of it.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mooshu
@CL60: 

Of course it wouldn't. But look at it this way: the code for the poker minigame, and the horseshoes minigame, and ordering drinks from a saloon are all already in the game, right? Granted it wouldnt have worked to just copy-paste them into multiplayer, but at the same time I DOUBT they would need to be reworked from the ground up to be added in as well.

It's always something to consider for patches and updates I suppose.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CL60
@Mooshu said:
" @CL60:   Of course it wouldn't. But look at it this way: the code for the poker minigame, and the horseshoes minigame, and ordering drinks from a saloon are all already in the game, right? Granted it wouldnt have worked to just copy-paste them into multiplayer, but at the same time I DOUBT they would need to be reworked from the ground up to be added in as well.  It's always something to consider for patches and updates I suppose. "
Also, if any of these things were in the game, I could see people just constantly shooting everybody playing poker/any thing else in the back of the head or something.
Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mooshu
@CL60: 

The solution to that would of course make those characters playing invulnerable during poker/horseshoes play. Sure, it may take away from the immersion, but if that's the price to pay to prevent griefing; I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea.
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pweidman

I absolutely agree w/the tc.  Freeroam was misrepresented by R*.  The world is underpopulated, and there's very little to do there.  Many random events needed to be in or it'll stale quick.  The challenges are just silly and so tacked on.   Public freeroam is just a freeforall, and for those who prefer to help one another, they are forced to play private because of no option for friendly fire.  So little thought and effort was put into freeroam it feels to me.  There are just too many brilliant mp games out there to go spend hrs and hrs figuring out how to find something fun to do like the tc mentioned, or think that having players dream up their own entertainment will have any staying power at all. Brilliant idea in it's essence, a sort of mmo of the West, but the mode was not delivered as advertised at all.  It's really just a glorified lobby for posse's to choose what versus mode to play.
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By yakov456

I was hoping for a different feeling MP from GTA4 but honestly except for the setting and lack of cars, it's exactly the same. Biggest let down are the controls, for me at least they are just to odd feeling for a competitive multiplayer experience. Not exact enough, again for me. That being said I do love this game!

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lilbigsupermario

Well it's partly expected in a game that has its single player as its main selling point.  RDR has an awesome single-player (haven't finished it though) and an okay multiplayer.  But the free-roam is still fun though, riding with posses and attacking gang hideouts and shooting down other posses, no other multiplayer game has done that for a multiplayer lobby.  Even the lobby before a deathmatch starts where you can punch everyone is fun, and of course, the quickdraw at the start of the match hehe!  But I also have to agree with the saloon stuff, it would be awesome if there's a saloon in free roam where you can play poker with your friends (similar to the Playstation Home lobby games) or maybe you can rob a bank in one of the towns hehe! 

I'm sure R* will be adding some more stuff soon, it's still early anyway, the game just released last week, be patient. :)

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jayross
@pweidman: Exactly, but even those versus modes are disappointing, with only capture the bag, team deathmatch, and free-for all.  
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Marz

At least you guys are able to join a free roam session.   I get removed from session immediately and stuck on an infinite loading screen and it's not my connection.  Other xbox games are working just fine.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@Ewok said:
" Let me point out that the free roam is the game lobby, so essentially it could be this or a list of names. Stop complaining about something they didn't have to add to the game. "
Stop using bullshit excuses. Don't apologize for R*'s handling of this. The fact is, if you aren't willing to do something at 100%, it's going to be criticized. The idea that free and cheap shit doesn't have to be good is the reason that so much shitty DLC is flooding the market, and half-assed features are put in games "just cause". Look at things like Forge with Halo 3; it didn't need to be in the game AT ALL. But they put a lot of work into it, made it really solid and polished and capable. That's what should be done. If you through in a half developed something into your game, the fact is that it will bring down the quality of the game on the whole. 
That said, I think the issues seem pretty limited. The point really is that it is free roaming action. It would be nice if there was structure, but that's not what this was put in the game for. The spawning however is another tale, that is definitely an issue that should be fixed somehow.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By Seppli

RD:R doesn't strike me as a multiplayer game. I'm gonna try out for a couple of hours after I'm done with SP. But I'm more of a FPS, Fun-Racer, Fighter game kind of guy, when it comes to online multiplayer games. 

Open world games are just too close to MMORPGs to really be attractive. If I want to play such a game, I'll go for the real deal.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I wish they had stores in it. And some more gang hideouts. But, I'll take what I can get.
TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoLines
@CL60 said:
" @Mooshu said:
" @CL60:   Of course it wouldn't. But look at it this way: the code for the poker minigame, and the horseshoes minigame, and ordering drinks from a saloon are all already in the game, right? Granted it wouldnt have worked to just copy-paste them into multiplayer, but at the same time I DOUBT they would need to be reworked from the ground up to be added in as well.  It's always something to consider for patches and updates I suppose. "
Also, if any of these things were in the game, I could see people just constantly shooting everybody playing poker/any thing else in the back of the head or something. "
That would be so awesome..
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By xMP44x

The only real complaints I have with free roam are the underpopulated game world, and the spawn killing. Spawn Killing isn't too bad assuming that you're all equally matched so you can get a chance of shooting the other guy first, but when he's sitting on his horse with his Repeater popping you, I get frustrated. I'd like to see more added to Free Roam. A lot could be done with it. Now, it simply has to be done with it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The world being under populated also seems to be an issue in singleplayer, in my opinion. 

I've been finding many of the survival challenges to be quite difficult, simply because it's often difficult to come across what you need.  Deers and wolves seem to be particularly guilty of this, when they show up, they show up in large numbers, but you can be playing for hours before any spawn.  

My biggest gripe with freeroam is players still treating it like deathmatch.  Playing around a bit and occasionally shooting each other is fine, but if that's all you're going to do, then there's no point of the mode existing.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead
@WinterSnowblind said:
"My biggest gripe with freeroam is players still treating it like deathmatch.  Playing around a bit and occasionally shooting each other is fine, but if that's all you're going to do, then there's no point of the mode existing. "
That was a huge problem with GTA IV as well. Any game type you did, it would instantly turn into a deathmatch regardless.
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FireBurger

I like the core idea of free roam, I just think it could have been nailed so much better without a whole lot more work on R*'s part.

1. I think they should have brought over the SP economy and everything it entailed (shops, skinning, flower picking, etc.). They could still make you earn guns, mounts, etc. through XP, but then you use your money to buy them / buy other items in the stores.

2. They should have brought over the SP inventory and items (medicine, survivalist maps, ammo, etc.)

3. They should have included the parlor games, filled with NPCs until a player character takes their place. 

Basically, it would be an amazing game mode if they brought over the SP experience minus the missions and obviously a good number of NPCs which would bog down performance. None of those things should affect performance and the systems were designed and in place for SP so I doubt it would take too much work to transition them to the MP side of things.

As others have said, as a lobby, it's obviously great. However, seeing how close they came to something really cool and innovative, and then seeing how they fell just short of that, is of course going to make you say "what if."

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jace
@Mooshu: 

Its not in the game in multiplayer. Which is why you're complaining. So, we've established that argument is counter-intuitive to say the least. Next, you just admitted to having everything you want in the SP, which means the devs really didn't even have to make a MP at  all. But still, more more more, with no end in sight. "How come we can't play poker while riding horses on a train on a mountain while throwing horseshoes and drinking and nukes tits ass." Also, you mad?
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jace:  You're overreacting a bit much. People are simply saying they think it would be better if the free roam world were a little more populated and the mini games were added. We aren't asking for loads of new content to be added, we just think that there's really no reason all the mini games were missing from free roam.
Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jace
@President_Barackbar: No, it's just silly to complain about content when a dev goes out of their way to load a game with content, and revive someone else's  mistake. How much more could you ask?
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jace:  I'm not sure I get what you're arguing here. I don't think you understand what any of us are saying.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

All I've done in free-roam so far is knife people in the back when they ride by and watch as the horse drags them through shrubs and into a cactus. That and driving carriages and stagecoaches off of cliffsides. I've got no problem with it.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I wish I could play poker in the Free-Roam....
inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By inevpatoria

Penny Arcade has a nice write up about this exact topic. And I tend to agree with them. Rockstar billed this free roam to be as engaging as the singleplayer experience, and it really isn't at all. 

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Donos

t the moment I'm having crazy fun in free-roam just griefing people with the carcano rifle, but in a couple days? A week?  This game'll be going in my closet, probably never to emerge.

I guess it's worth nothing R* is putting out a bunch of free coop missions for multiplayer fairly soon, which should help some.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do really enjoy free roam, but I also wish they added stuff like being able to rob banks or trains together. That would have been awesome, but what they have now is still very fun, and I am crossing my fingers for some DLC to add-on to the free roam.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mooshu
@Jace said:

No Caption Provided
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@Jayross:  I agree with you and I really hope that Rockstar adds some more game modes to the game via patches. I was playing free-roam where me and this guy kept killing and spawn killing each other. So we chased each other down decided to "Defend the castle/fort" at Fort Mercer and it was fun. :)
Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Workyticket
@WinterSnowblind said:
"My biggest gripe with freeroam is players still treating it like deathmatch.  Playing around a bit and occasionally shooting each other is fine, but if that's all you're going to do, then there's no point of the mode existing. "
Quoted for truth. I'm loving the MP, free roam included, but when you have idiots stalking you from one end of the map to another spawn killing you it just gets too much. Worse still, because you respawn right by where you were killed these shitheads can basically do it indefinitely. You don't even have time to get on your horse. IMHO these dickholes are doing way more to ruin free roam than what features may or may not be present. If you grief in RDR you are a bad person, and you have a small penis.
Baljot187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Baljot187

The game is certainly not lacking in competitive things to do, but for co-operative things to do, it has shit all. Like the OP said, hunting and gang hideouts? That's it? I don't really care about team deathmatch or Gold Rush or any of that shite - I just want to do dick around with my friends and kill AI players with some sort of common goal. This game was several years in the making - they couldn't have put in some co-op missions for you to do completely separate from the single player? They couldn't put in the bounty system so that you and your posse could hunt bounty together? Or how about having bounty on a single person applied to your entire posse, that way you and your friends could fight the law together. Hell, they could have just made the multiplayer world a little more populated so that you'd have more fun riding between towns. I can't even believe that they didn't even add some kind of Horde mode to the game, considering every single shooter has a version of that now. Don't even bring up the hunting as a version of Horde mode - that shit is retarded. 
I love the game, and the single player is a blast. but Rockstar is seriously lagging behind when it comes to multiplayer. The only appeal of multiplayer in GTAIV was blasting fools with rocket launchers and running them over with cars. This game doesn't even have that.  They really oversold the freeroam in this game and it's a gigantic let down. 

slyely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By slyely
@Workyticket said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
Quoted for truth. I'm loving the MP, free roam included, but when you have idiots stalking you from one end of the map to another spawn killing you it just gets too much. Worse still, because you respawn right by where you were killed these shitheads can basically do it indefinitely. You don't even have time to get on your horse. IMHO these dickholes are doing way more to ruin free roam than what features may or may not be present. If you grief in RDR you are a bad person, and you have a small penis. "
I agree with you here. I had built a posse up the other night in free roam where half of the posse were level 5 and below, so we were just doing bandit camps and such to get them some exp and a horse mount. What happened was another posse decided to spawn camp a few of them so they couldn't leave the last bandit camp area we were at to make it to the new spot. Needless to say the ones that made it to the marker had to go back to help out the few guys being spawn camped. When we got there the griefers left the free roam as soon as we shot them down. All together I just think griefing just ruins the experience for some people. They need to add spawning options, like spawning right by other posse members or something to help with this, cause there will always be griefers.
Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By Spoonybard37

I'll admit they did  super hype up the Freeroam multiplayer, but even though you cant literally do everything in it, that doesn't mean the game mode doesn't have some merit to it.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By yakov456

Give me the mini-games and I'll be happy.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jayross

I was just testing the spawn issues, and they are way worse than I thought. Also, the fact that people can be using the casual aim setting while people use expert and normal is ridiculous. 

Avatar image for marcusravenheart
marcusravenheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By marcusravenheart
@Baljot187 said:
" The game is certainly not lacking in competitive things to do, but for co-operative things to do, it has shit all. Like the OP said, hunting and gang hideouts? That's it? I don't really care about team deathmatch or Gold Rush or any of that shite - I just want to do dick around with my friends and kill AI players with some sort of common goal. This game was several years in the making - they couldn't have put in some co-op missions for you to do completely separate from the single player? They couldn't put in the bounty system so that you and your posse could hunt bounty together? Or how about having bounty on a single person applied to your entire posse, that way you and your friends could fight the law together. Hell, they could have just made the multiplayer world a little more populated so that you'd have more fun riding between towns. I can't even believe that they didn't even add some kind of Horde mode to the game, considering every single shooter has a version of that now. Don't even bring up the hunting as a version of Horde mode - that shit is retarded. 
I love the game, and the single player is a blast. but Rockstar is seriously lagging behind when it comes to multiplayer. The only appeal of multiplayer in GTAIV was blasting fools with rocket launchers and running them over with cars. This game doesn't even have that.  They really oversold the freeroam in this game and it's a gigantic let down.  "  

Its gripes like these that make me cringe as a programmer by profession.  The time span they took to make this game is merited by the options and structure of the single player alone.  If you haven't ever programmed in your life, take a small lesson to heart.  Every action in code has a reaction.  The modification of simple aspects so insignificant can break a game.  One simple spelling error, one miscalculation can make Marston walk around with his arm sticking strait out his back, or make it so no matter how dead on the cross hair is... it always shoots 8 feet to the left.  Oh yeah and heres the real kicker... millions of lines of code simply to work as a engine platform and in some cases thousands of lines of code for one particular object.  So that means if you screw up on one of those lines... you spend DAYS trying to figure out which line it is.  Now with that in perspective I want you to think about some very simple things.  If you were a programmer who worked for several years on a project and you supplied one of the most fulfilling single player games to date, one that pretty much just pulled the Western Genre out of the gutter of the gaming universe and for once overshadowed all the Crime games, Zombie Games, and World War Two games... and some one went ranting about how an aspect of the game  that was considered a bonus on all aspects and wasn't even announced until a few MONTHS (Like 4) prior to the release of the game was a GIGANTIC  let down; How would you feel? 

Mind you... this person probably never wrote a single line of code in their life...   

Multi-player is flawed, the free roam is not on a dedicated system so people get disconnected half the time a host player drops instead of migrating.  People in non Posses can talk to everyone, but people in a posse can only speak to people in their posse.  Respawns are poorly designed and often result in allowing players to camp you. The minimap should not display all players on a map, only those of which are directly near you or in your posse.  Mini games that are in the game are not multi-player.  No Lasso feature, and low npc populations. 

I know a lot of people are wanting those mini games... but once again I have to point out that it is really difficult to make those sort of things along with everything they already produced.  Programming things for multi-player is a royal pain.  There are a lot of variables that can break a game when it comes to multi-player.  So while they are not present at this time it is very possible that they will release DLC with it later on.  Just understand... if you find yourself saying "Well they have it in single player, it can't be that hard"... take it from me.  IT IS HARD.   Other than graphical coding , you pretty much have to start from scratch on everything as far as the mini games go. 

Lasso and Low NPC counts... thats probably just to avoid the act of causing fps loss.  You make a multi-player server host do to much dynamic action and you'll start getting frame rate loss and data failure.  Things like lots of npcs and dynamic codes like those used for the lasso run great when its just your system processing it.  But sadly when it comes to multi-player.... it relies on your machine processing it... then sending the data that it processed to other systems and then having those systems process it...  the more processes the more load on your system and the more likelihood of frame rate loss.  I think they balanced the spawns out well, and while the hunting experience in free roam is not as captivating as that in single player... I think they did well with the resources they had. 

Hopefully i haven't offended anyone with this rant... but one of the hardest things for a person who works in the gaming industry is watching people scrutinize the programmers because things aren't as perfect as they had desired.  Take this game... and compare it to the other games out there right now... and look at it for what it is worth.  It is a great game with a great single player that you cant beat in 6 hours and you wouldn't want to if you could.  It has a great match based multi-player with varying difficulty options, an unlock system, and character customization .  Instead of a Lobby... you have free roam world, that while not a carbon copy of the single player is still one of the best free roam worlds I have ever played on in a non mmo.  So yeah... its got its little flaws... but find me a game that has all these things to offer... and does as good of a job... let alone a better one. 

- Marcus Ravenheart 
Programmer and Employee of Stupid Fun Club

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.