Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Red Dead Redemption Undead Zombies DLC Thoughts

Dafishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Edited By Dafishies

After seeing all this news on the new Red Dead Redemption DLC, I only have a few things to say on it. 

I still don't understand this basic formula which people always fall for, Good game + Zombies = Great Game!. Some games make no sense putting zombies in them. When I first heard about this, I honostly thought it was a joke, that nobody in there rightful mind would think about putting zombies in a game in this setting. But low and behold, Rockstar has fell to the zombie pressure. Why are zombies such a hit these days? is it because it's the only enemy that everyone can truly agree to hate? Is it because zombies are just fun to kill? or is it just some other random obscure reason? I don't know, and quite frankly, I don't want to know.

Sure zombie games are fun, take Left 4 Dead for example. This game is based upon the zombie apocalypse and delivers it really well. Dead Rising does it really well, why? Again, the whole premise of the game is based on zombies. Hell even Resident Evil is another great example. But now your gonna say Borderlands, Red Dead Redemption, and a whole slew of other games that I can't think of on the top of my head. OH RIGHT! Yakuza recently announced a zombie game. What do all these have in common? THEY ARE ALL GAMES NOT BASED ORIGINALLY UPON ZOMBIES!. Don't you dare tell me Yakuza is, There have been 4 games int he series NOT based on zombies so I'm not counting it in this case. 

So what do I think about this? It's getting rather annoying. I would hate to see a future game I enjoy like Fallout, or LBP, or Final Fantasy succumb to this "zombie epidemic" (get what I did there -_-).  Note to all developers, Good Game + Zombies = Great Game IS NOT ALWAYS CORRECT. It could definitely RUIN a game in a lot of cases. But the most important one is that most games that add zombies make no sense when you add them in. Wild West + Zombies??? what???? It just doesn't quite honostly make sense to me. But if you like this sort of turn for gameplay then be my guest, buy 9 copies of the DLC. I'm still on the fence about it. Just seems like it could ruin a lot of games that are still in development. I'd hate to see some great franchises add zombies just to appeal to the audience.

Dafishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dafishies

After seeing all this news on the new Red Dead Redemption DLC, I only have a few things to say on it. 

I still don't understand this basic formula which people always fall for, Good game + Zombies = Great Game!. Some games make no sense putting zombies in them. When I first heard about this, I honostly thought it was a joke, that nobody in there rightful mind would think about putting zombies in a game in this setting. But low and behold, Rockstar has fell to the zombie pressure. Why are zombies such a hit these days? is it because it's the only enemy that everyone can truly agree to hate? Is it because zombies are just fun to kill? or is it just some other random obscure reason? I don't know, and quite frankly, I don't want to know.

Sure zombie games are fun, take Left 4 Dead for example. This game is based upon the zombie apocalypse and delivers it really well. Dead Rising does it really well, why? Again, the whole premise of the game is based on zombies. Hell even Resident Evil is another great example. But now your gonna say Borderlands, Red Dead Redemption, and a whole slew of other games that I can't think of on the top of my head. OH RIGHT! Yakuza recently announced a zombie game. What do all these have in common? THEY ARE ALL GAMES NOT BASED ORIGINALLY UPON ZOMBIES!. Don't you dare tell me Yakuza is, There have been 4 games int he series NOT based on zombies so I'm not counting it in this case. 

So what do I think about this? It's getting rather annoying. I would hate to see a future game I enjoy like Fallout, or LBP, or Final Fantasy succumb to this "zombie epidemic" (get what I did there -_-).  Note to all developers, Good Game + Zombies = Great Game IS NOT ALWAYS CORRECT. It could definitely RUIN a game in a lot of cases. But the most important one is that most games that add zombies make no sense when you add them in. Wild West + Zombies??? what???? It just doesn't quite honostly make sense to me. But if you like this sort of turn for gameplay then be my guest, buy 9 copies of the DLC. I'm still on the fence about it. Just seems like it could ruin a lot of games that are still in development. I'd hate to see some great franchises add zombies just to appeal to the audience.

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By kingclaw

In this case (and in Borderlands) is just a DLC, don't like it, don't buy it

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BBQBram

Dudes how many times do I need to make this case; spaghetti western and Romero's zombie horror are both Italian cinema, Rockstar is totally playing this parallel up, down to the font in the screenshots even.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#4  Edited By Sin4profit
    @BBQBram said:
    " Dudes how many times do I need to make this case; spaghetti western and Romero's zombie horror are both Italian cinema, Rockstar is totally playing this parallel up, down to the font in the screenshots even. "
    wah? George Romero was born in New York.

@Dafishies:
    Great, i thought this was an opinion after having played the DLC...i prefure Post bitching rather then Pre-bitching.
    Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By RelentlessKnight

Fallout 3 has their versions of zombies... they're called ghouls

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BBQBram
    @Sin4profit: Oh shit, fail on my behalf I guess. Still the aesthetic doesn't feel forced at all.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#7  Edited By Sin4profit
    @BBQBram said:
    " @Sin4profit: Oh shit, fail on my behalf I guess. Still the aesthetic doesn't feel forced at all. "
    From what i saw of the trailers it looks like there's a story to it so i hear ya. It looks like they put some effort into it. 

As far as zombies being played out...i think the red dead aesthetic makes for an interesting environment for zombies. we haven't seen many, if any, western zombie games.
    But i'm also willing to argue that we haven't even seen a real zombie game and the zombies in Quake are the only ones who represent real zombies.

in closing, i love zombies and i welcome more.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Ragdrazi

Is it just cool to say zombies aren't played out? Because they clearly are played out.

Dafishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dafishies

Hmmmm, seeing as almost all of these comments are directed towards me "bitching" about the DLC, I'd like you to know that I dont even HAVE Red Dead Redemption anymore and this is a blog not a information thread. So if you want to complain about me posting my own opinion then  OOOOOOOOOOOOKAY!

I'm not bitching about the DLC being bad, I'm bitching cause this is the turn every game is starting to take. Turning into this zombie bullshit that doesn't even need to be in there. I'm not saying the DLC is good or bad. I just think PERSONALLY that this is just stupid. How would you like one of your favorite franchises getting zombie DLC that makes almost no sense to the plot? hmmmmmmm?

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By fjordson

People are bitching because the DLC isn't even out yet. Calling this stupid before Rockstar has even had the chance to reveal everything that's in it makes zero sense. Also, who cares if it wasn't originally based on zombies? Rockstar has already said that it won't affect your main game. It's simply meant as an interesting side story. Coming out with DLC that provides content unique from the main game is always a good thing in my book. Yes, zombies have been in other games, but none of them have been Euphoria-powered open world games set in the Wild West. You didn't even mention that they're putting in the Four Horses of the mother fucking Apocalypse.

And your formula is a bit messed up. It should go "Incredible game + zombies = incredible game".

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I figured it would be one new quest and some places where zombies roam.
    So far it seems like a full on story sequence with multiple missions, voice acting and new weapons/mounts/outfits. 
    That's what I gather from the info tho, might be wrong but hey!
    Lets be smart, lets not talk about stuff before it comes out aye?

I have no faith in any DLC, but that doesn't prevent me from keeping an eye on it and purchasing the 30 bucks goty super special happy friends club edition next year.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

RAGE engine + Zombie killing = FUCK YES

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By pweidman

It's DLC for a 5-6 month old game.  Who can blame them for trying this.  Also, there was some weird shit going on in those graveyards so it was sorta all set up in the full game, to make this DLC somewhat plausible...but it's DLC so does it really fucking matter anyway?  I think not.  People like killing Zombies so whatevs.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Fjordson said:
    " People are bitching because the DLC isn't even out yet.  
    I know right, last night I was so confused because I thought it was out already.
    RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By RandomHero666

I guess I'm the only person who knows what OP is on about. 
    I agree.. even though I love zombies, some games just don't have to include them, recently too many games have given in to the zombie fad. Call of Duty, Borderlands, and now Red Dead. 
    I'm sure it will be good, the undead horse looks pretty cool at least, and zombies in free roam to distract the twats who shoot everyone should be good

Dafishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dafishies
    @RandomHero666: thank you, at least SOMEBODY fucking understands what I'm saying. Everyone else assumes I'm just posting saying the DLC itself is stupid. Which is what I WASN'T saying.
    Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Raineko

I agree that it doesn´t make sense but still I think it´s cool because I like the horror genre. 

ALSO everyone that will use auto aim in Undead Nightmare is a pussy.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By trophyhunter

Who the fuck cares about red dead anymore, we have new games coming out, hell a new Fallout is out in mere hours.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.