Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

RUMOUR: RDR HD Remaster to be unveiled at PS Neo event

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So I saw this article on the website of a fairly respected Austrian newspaper about a report on a Korean gaming website (the reputation of which I have no idea about).

According to this, RDR HD is going to be unveiled at Sonys PS Neo event. And: it’s also going to come to Xbox one and THE PC!!!

I haven’t seen this on any other gaming website I usually visit (kotaku, eurogamer, gamespot) and I don’t really know about the quality of the gaming coverage of the source I linked to, so take it with at least a grain of salt, but I thought I’d share it anyway.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Absolutely not. No credibility to this story and reads much more like someone's wishlist. Would be more believable if it wasn't coming to PC, but even then, nope.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nope. Not gonna happen. Rockstar don't need to piggyback a Sony event to announce anything.

And why would Sony highlight a 6 year old multiplatform remaster instead of a current console exclusive?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Allowing RDR to enter Xbox One backwards compatibility would make no sense if they were intending to sell a remaster of the game on the platform.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could see Rockstar using this event to announce a smaller project like Red Dead redemption remastered. I find the possiblity of it ever comming to PC to be almost zero.

I really want to believe that this is happening.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I doubt this rumor is true I think RS are working on the sequel hopefully they announce something this month.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a chance. Sony wouldn't want to take any attention away from their big reveal by teaming up with a third party to announce a non-exclusive game. Likewise Rockstar aren't the type to use someone else's event to announce anything

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

While I don't see this happening, R* also haven't released a new game in nearly 3 years so re-releasing an old game seems about right for them at this point. There are also rumours that either RDR2 or GTA VI will be announced this Wednesday but I don't see that happening either, especially GTA VI. It just doesn't make sense to, not when it's still one of the most played games on Steam.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I doubt Rockstar does this after the development hell that RDR went through to get out the door. It's about time we hear something from them, though.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I stopped playing RDR when there was a horse race you had to win. I hate car races in open world games like GTA and horse racing was even more annoying as it just runs out of stamina because I had the default horse.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove:

That's why I put "rumour" in all caps in the title. I want to believe, but that doesn't mean I do.

As for a logical explanation why/how this could happen, maybe Sony called in a favor for Agent. And that they use seemingly weird games to promote their hot new hardware wouldn't be anything new either after the underwhelming vr showing at e3.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony are going to sell an upgraded PS4 using a remaster of a last gen game this sounds so stupid I want to believe its true.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they were really gonna do a HD remaster, it would be counterintuitive to make RDR backwards compatible on XB1. Not gonna happen

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RDR is old news. I don't wanna replay it. Just finish Red Dead 3.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By nightriff

I will play that again... On a PC with cheat engine so I can by pass a lot of the bullshit that I hated. Honestly just a "cut Mexico section" option would be awesome

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Cut Mexico" sounds more sinister in today's climate. I'm not even sure I want a chance to play RDR on current consoles. I could buy it on old consoles and try it out but I feel the moment's passed.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed

I will play that again... On a PC with cheat engine so o can buy pass a lot of the bullshit that i hated. Honestly just a "cut Mexico section" option would be awesome

@shindig said:

"Cut Mexico" sounds more sinister in today's climate. I'm not even sure I want a chance to play RDR on current consoles. I could buy it on old consoles and try it out but I feel the moment's passed.

Nothing sinister or racist about that sentence. Mexico was arguably the games most boring and drawn out section. I almost gave up on the game at that stage, it soured my experience with everything that followed. To the point that i would never play it again because of that alone.

Kind of like if GTA IV had an option to cut out the babysitting Roman parts (seriously, fuck that guy), would make want to try GTA IV again.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By nightriff

@meierthered said:

@nightriff said:

I will play that again... On a PC with cheat engine so o can buy pass a lot of the bullshit that i hated. Honestly just a "cut Mexico section" option would be awesome

@shindig said:

Nothing sinister or racist about that sentence. Mexico was arguably the games most boring and drawn out section. I almost gave up on the game at that stage, it soured my experience with everything that followed. To the point that i would never play it again because of that alone.

Kind of like if GTA IV had an option to cut out the babysitting Roman parts (seriously, fuck that guy), would make want to try GTA IV again.

I did give up on the game the first go around once I hit Mexico. Outside of the poncho outfit (and I'm not sure you even get it in Mexico, can't remember) it is the most boring and mundane part of the game. And once you move past Mexico, the game hits its stride and ends amazingly. And maybe it has to do with the fact that it felt like every mission in mexico was on the opposite side of that god damn map from the one you just completed but it just become frustrating riding back and forth constantly.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I'd consider checking it out again for the multiplayer. Riding around taking out bandits was good fun in that thing. Didn't like the open PvP stuff though.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony has nothing to gain by giving such time to an announcement of a non-exclusive title that will surely draw attention away from what they want to present.

Rockstar does not need the exposure of a presentation like this to announce anything.

This seems incredibly unlikely.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@stinger061 said:

Not a chance. Sony wouldn't want to take any attention away from their big reveal by teaming up with a third party to announce a non-exclusive game. Likewise Rockstar aren't the type to use someone else's event to announce anything

@adequatelyprepared said:

Sony has nothing to gain by giving such time to an announcement of a non-exclusive title that will surely draw attention away from what they want to present.

Rockstar does not need the exposure of a presentation like this to announce anything.

This seems incredibly unlikely.

@thepanzini said:

Sony are going to sell an upgraded PS4 using a remaster of a last gen game this sounds so stupid I want to believe its true.

I don't think this is as absurdly unlikely as some of you are suggesting. Allow me to play devil's advocate and let's look at some facts.

1) Why would Sony use a remake of a old PS3/360 game to announce their new hardware? Because if Rockstar really is working on this, it's not going to look anything like an old PS3/360 game. Their "port" of GTA5 is still one of the most technically and artistically impressive PS4/Xbox One games. It also is one of the most successful.

2) Does Rockstar need Sony for this announcement? No. But let's not forget that PS4 was the only current gen console that you could buy in a holiday bundle with GTA5. Sony and Rockstar already have a relationship, and if they would announce a new holiday bundle along with the new remaster, it makes sense.

3) A Red Dead Redemption port wouldn't be exclusive, so why would Sony use this game to announce their system? Because Microsoft won't have their updated console out for a while now, so it might as well be a console exclusive. People already make a big deal out of 900p vs 1080p, or when one console has a slightly more dependable frame rate. The console difference here will be night and day, and even more than an exclusive, that will show off the power of new hardware more than any new game.

Am I suggesting that it'll actually happen? I have no idea, but I don't think the idea itself sounds as crazy as most of you seem to be suggesting in this thread.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ThePanzini

@spaceinsomniac: The whole point of an upgraded PS4 is to play current gen games with better frame rate and graphics. Were going to have Sony showing a bunch of fall games before and after Neo looking slightly better to get us to upgrade yet at the same time telling us you don't have to. Announcing a remaster kinda defeats the purpose it could also confuse people into thinking you may need Neo to play the remaster, there are better ways to announce RDR like Paris Games Week (27th Oct) or PSX.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Yea? Where is it?

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea? Where is it?

In a very special, very secret place, together with the neos 4k bluray drive and bioshock for the vita.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Yea? Where is it?

In a very special, very secret place, together with the neos 4k bluray drive and bioshock for the vita.

Don't forget Agent.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.