Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

The Good, The Bad, and the BRAAAAINS

ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By ninjadodo

So I honestly don't like zombies very much. I will tolerate zombies, and sometimes enjoy games despite them having zombies, such as Half Life and yes, even Left 4 Dead. Played it initially mostly out of professional interest - Valve's developers commentary makes very interesting listening and the AI director is rather fascinating - but eventually had to admit it's actually a really good game, and despite not being much for brain-eaters, I was enjoying it.

However, when people just add zombies as a kind of nerd-shorthand for fun (with ninjas, pirates and robots being the alternative) to a game that has a great identity of its own which has nothing to do with the undead... when you add zombies to a spaghetti western... it just ruins it. It's like the developers don't even respect their own game enough to maintain its artistic integrity.

Somehow I am reminded of this.

Red Dead is not a game that needed zombies.

ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ninjadodo

So I honestly don't like zombies very much. I will tolerate zombies, and sometimes enjoy games despite them having zombies, such as Half Life and yes, even Left 4 Dead. Played it initially mostly out of professional interest - Valve's developers commentary makes very interesting listening and the AI director is rather fascinating - but eventually had to admit it's actually a really good game, and despite not being much for brain-eaters, I was enjoying it.

However, when people just add zombies as a kind of nerd-shorthand for fun (with ninjas, pirates and robots being the alternative) to a game that has a great identity of its own which has nothing to do with the undead... when you add zombies to a spaghetti western... it just ruins it. It's like the developers don't even respect their own game enough to maintain its artistic integrity.

Somehow I am reminded of this.

Red Dead is not a game that needed zombies.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

It's halloween and they are having fun.  You don't have to buy an non-cannon DLC pack.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jack268

Oh no a DLC made in jest that I in no way have to pay for that adds something to the game that it's cool to hate. This is atrocious and I've never experienced something similiar before.

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By krystians

I don't have the game, but I have to admit that it's fun when developers make something different for their games. Its the season, and it adds something different and unique to a game. It's a DLC so you obviously don't have to purchase it. But when I get the game I will, because its different and fun.

ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ninjadodo
    @SethPhotopoulos:  True. If it was automatically included in the main game, that would be horrible... and it's not. Though on that note I wonder: if you did download this DLC would you be unable to thereafter uninstall it, like the (rather ugly) Golden Guns? That seems like it could be a problem. I don't know how separate they keep it from the main game, but I still think they lost something with this...

Plus it's an opportunity cost. I would've rather seen them work on some new singleplayer DLC that actually fit the setting...
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @ninjadodo said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos:  True. If it was automatically included in the main game, that would be horrible... and it's not. Though on that note I wonder: if you did download this DLC would you be unable to thereafter uninstall it, like the (rather ugly) Golden Guns? That seems like it could be a problem. I don't know how separate they keep it from the main game, but I still think they lost something with this...  Plus it's an opportunity cost. I would've rather seen them work on some new singleplayer DLC that actually fit the setting... "
    Most people like Zombies.  Don't know what else to say.  The Zombie stuff is a dream or something.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jkz
    @ninjadodo said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos:  True. If it was automatically included in the main game, that would be horrible... and it's not. Though on that note I wonder: if you did download this DLC would you be unable to thereafter uninstall it, like the (rather ugly) Golden Guns? That seems like it could be a problem. I don't know how separate they keep it from the main game, but I still think they lost something with this...  Plus it's an opportunity cost. I would've rather seen them work on some new singleplayer DLC that actually fit the setting... "
    It's a seperate start-up. You select a different menu item to start it up. It's completely seperate from the main game, and you can go right back to where you were in the main game with no mention of zombies, if you like.
    ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ninjadodo

I know it's all in good fun, but I guess I just thought Red Dead was above zombie jokes. It just sort of deflates the sincerity of the whole thing.  I mean you don't see a serious tv series or book suddenly  doing a zombie episode just cause it's Halloween...

I don't hate it, just think it's a little disappointing.

ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ninjadodo
    @jukezypoo:  Well, that's something at least.
    Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Zimbo
    @ninjadodo:

Spoiler alert: It was just a bit of fun and obviously its turned out well as a lot of people are enjoying it. Like Brad said, 'This is like a Halloween Simpsons episode'. Incidentally, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is not really a serious take on the West. Just like the normal RDR world is filled with jokes and inaccuracies. You are not being forced to buy the DLC anyway. Don't like it? Ignore it!

Edit: That paragraph is badly written but it serves its purpose.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By WickedCestus

Red Dead Redemption is full of jokes anyways. 

Also, dude, it's ROCKSTAR, the makers of GTA, not the kind of people who take everything as seriously as you seem to.

ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ninjadodo

I think something can have a sense of humour and still be serious, but fair enough. Maybe what bothers me is if I tell someone who doesn't play a lot of games that they should check out this great game that's like an interactive western, they look up the site and go: "Oh, zombies..."

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ozzdog12
    @ninjadodo said:
    " So I honestly don't like zombies very much. I will tolerate zombies, and sometimes enjoy games despite them having zombies, such as Half Life and yes, even Left 4 Dead (!). Played it initially mostly out of professional interest - Valve's developers commentary makes very interesting listening and the AI director is rather fascinating - but eventually had to admit it's actually a really good game, and despite not being much for brain-eaters, I was enjoying it.

Somehow I am reminded of this.  Red Dead is not a game that needed zombies. "
    Maybe it didnt, but too bad it turned out to be awesome.....:/
    chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#14  Edited By chstupid

But....but.... I like Zombies
    TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By TwoLines

Zombies are awesome, and riding an undead horse is one of the best things that happened to me in RDR.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.