Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Jun 02, 2009

After the death of his brother at the hands of a corrupt Earth government, Alec Mason has no choice but to join the Red Faction terrorist cell and fight to free Mars from Earth oppression.

Beta for the removal of GFWL

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By AndrewB

Volition/Nordic Games has released a public beta for Red Faction: Guerrilla to support the growing standard of ripping out Games For Windows Live (long live!) and switching over to Steamworks. They've posted on the Steam forums with details of how to activate - though given the public nature it's a little funny that it requires a password to activate, but whatever.

Patch notes:

-) Matchmaking and Multiplayer via Steamworks

-) No Games for Windows Live sign-in required

-) Leaderboards via Steam

-) Voice Chat via Steam

-) Achievements via Steam

-) Uses DX9 Renderer by default as DX10 created a lot of problems and resulted in performance drawbacks (that should also fix Win8 issues)

-) At first launch the game attempts to migrate savegames from GFWL to the new system

I don't know that this will get me to go back and finish Guerrilla, but it's still nice to see the continued support switchover for the mostly abandoned GFWL platform. While it's not necessarily better to be completely dependent upon Steam, at least it's a platform actively being developed and improved upon. I'll leave the broader discussion about Microsoft and their PC gaming initiative (or lack thereof) for another thread. For now, give it a try maybe?

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

Ha! DX10, that was as big a disappointment as Destiny. We haven't really made much progress since 9.

Does anyone else remember all the stuff surrounding Crysis and how they claimed DX10 added so much, then people found out you can get all the DX10 eye candy (which were only slight effects) by changing a config file while running DX9?

Anyway I find it cool that they are patching this game although how many people are even playing?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

Anyway I find it cool that they are patching this game although how many people are even playing?

Me, just barely :P.

It's still a fun game. Maybe too reliant on generic side quests to keep you busy and soooo much driving. Modern open-world games have spoiled us with quicker travel options.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

Oh cool. So, I still have a chance to get to this game someday.

Maybe I'll play it next. I honestly keep forgetting about it at this point.

That's good they are trying to fix those DX10 issues, too. That's pretty surprising considering it's an old game and those problems go WAAAYYYY back. I guess that's the plus side of Nordic owning the franchise now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.